• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
After ESB you're left wandering will they get Han back, is Vader Luke's father, who is the other Yoda spoke of, will the Rebels win, about the Emperor etc.

After TLJ finished I had no idea what the next movie would be about, what questions they'd answer. I had no interest because I didn't know what direction they were even setting up. It was a difficult film to follow.

This is my feeling as well. I actually liked TLJ right after watching it, but upon further reflection it just left me feeling empty.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I'm starting to see a pattern here with some of these comments. I'm wondering if reviewers that loved TLJ are striking back at the fan base who hated it.

Because there is no objective way possible they could have shit the bed worse than AoTC

Journalists do not factor Rotten Tomatoes scores into their review writing. Nobody sets out to write an article to punish a movie with a score that drops it below one of the prequels. Reviews were just different back then.

Maxim726x

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'm starting to see a pattern here with some of these comments. I'm wondering if reviewers that loved TLJ are striking back at the fan base who hated it.

Because there is no objective way possible they could have shit the bed worse than AoTC

Actually had someone argue with me over the weekend that AoTC was worse than TLJ.

Now, I'm not the biggest fan of TLJ, but... I didn't even think it was possible to think this legitimately. I thought he was kidding, but he wasn't.

ace3skoot

Dec 3, 2018
About to start the 9 hour 3 film marathon at my local cinema here in the UK. Wish me and my bladder well era.

Mr Clutch

Oct 27, 2017
I saw it yesterday. A lot of fan service that didn't really distract from the plot and I appreciated it. All in all I really enjoyed it.

J.J. makes a really good Star Wars film, Rian makes a Star Wars film look really good.

Effect

Oct 25, 2017
After ESB you're left wandering will they get Han back, is Vader Luke's father, who is the other Yoda spoke of, will the Rebels win, about the Emperor etc.

After TLJ finished I had no idea what the next movie would be about, what questions they'd answer. I had no interest because I didn't know what direction they were even setting up. It was a difficult film to follow.
This. TLJ closes out like it's the end of a story with another to begin at a later point but in the middle of a trilogy. If you close out a trilogy the way TLJ ended then maybe that's okay. That's not how you close out a part 2 of a trilogy. Hell you could maybe close out a part 1 like that ala A New Hope because you might not know if you can do parts 2 and 3. There was no uncertainty here. Everyone was in for the long ride and all three films were being made. So they should have been one big story.

It falls back on that there was no planned out outline for these films. Having different directors is fine but they all need to be working off the same plan. Doing your own thing should have been for the "A Star Wars Story" films and the shows. Not the sequel trilogy!

Deleted member 42055

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 12, 2018
I read a whole bunch of the reviews and they seem to all be saying a lot of the same things. Rushed, poor pacing, hamfistedly trying to erase everything from TLJ, shoving Rose into a pointless side cameo role out of spite, etc.

Yea , waking up to a 58/54 was not something I expected. Of course some people will somehow blame " Era" for being the negative ones

PMS341

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
It's indicative of the quality of the movie. Some people would consider that a spoiler.

Isn't quality almost entirely subjective, especially in regards to anything even remotely resembling art, which includes commercial art?

No one would consider opinions to be a spoiler lol.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
That music. Man. Anyone else love howard shores work on lotr more than John William's on star wars? I know the star wars soundtracks are iconic but there is so much raw emotion in the lotr soundtracks.
EASILY

Though overexposure may have hurt William's score, those same few themes are just so played out at this point.

Minky

Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
That score... Frrrrrrrt

Going to see it tomorrow afternoon with work peeps. I don't really care about Star Wars at all so this is more of a "research trip" than anything, but despite my lack of investment I'm really kind of amazed by how low the overall ratings are.
That being said I absolutely despised TLJ, and that somehow got high scores, so... Maybe I'll love it.

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
bandicam-2019-12-18-12-39-17-093.png

I woke up to this? Damn. Well the average rating is ok, but still. Off to watch TFA soon.

Oct 25, 2017

If Rey in her clouded moments of doubt had just given a chance to going with Kylo, ending with a twist of how our heroine will possibly transform, it would have given the rest of the movie purpose and left me electrified to see the next film.

Both Kylo and Rey folding into the "same old" after Snoke's defeat was the safest, most boring choice for me.

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
I can't wait for RJ to get his trilogy and to knock ever one of those films out of the stratosphere. Thus proving without a shadow of a doubt, the problem is and always has been JJ Abrams. One of these people has never written, directed, or produced a negatively scored film. The other, well the other is JJ Abrams.
What I've learned from the TLJ fallout is RJ has some very dedicated stans who are now apparently happy that the new trilogy is tanking if it means RJ's status is elevated

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
You had no idea? The movie literally ends with Rey asking "how do we rebuild the Rebellion?" followed by a downtrodden Force sensitive kid looking up to the stars with a Rebellion ring on his finger, imagining that he is Luke Skywalker. The direction of the story could not have been more clear.
I wanted to know more about those books that Rey lifted from Luke's tree stump.

PhaZe 5

Oct 27, 2017
The Rise of Skywalker wasn't a total bust. If you hated The Last Jedi, you might even love it. But it's hard for me to see it as a successful third installment in this trilogy.

Takes like this aren't very helpful but aite.

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker offers some interesting twists and the plot really focuses on the struggles of Rey and Ben.

Honestly, if this is the focus of the film, I don't see how I'll dislike it.

dreamcast

Oct 27, 2017
I saw it yesterday. A lot of fan service that didn't really distract from the plot and I appreciated it. All in all I really enjoyed it.

J.J. makes a really good Star Wars film, Rian makes a Star Wars film look really good.
Thank you for this as it's exactly what I have been expecting since they said JJ would direct ep 9. TLJ is my favorite Star Wars film and the writing quality probably had no business being in a Star Wars film. I never expected ep 9 to compare by a long mile. As long as I can go the theater and have a good time, that's all I want.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
It's indicative of the quality of the movie. Some people would consider that a spoiler.
People are making fun of you, but I agree, standards on spoilers have been raised.

I really resent Disney for spoiling Episode 9 when they stated they were making Episode 9. Really ruined my experience of being surprised at the theater and realizing they made Episode 9 of Star Wars. Not just that, they even spoiled the existence of Episode 7 and 8.

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017
_____ Wars: ____ of the ______ (_____ Tomatoes: __%)'

Directed by J_ ___rams

Releasing at some point in the future, possibly

WARNING WARNING: THERE ARE POSTERS AND TRAILERS WARNING WARNING