• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 50454

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 5, 2018
It's really not that bewildering.

He left JJ with shit. Literally, there was not a single plot point left exploring except Rey and Kylo. That's not enough, that is squarely on Rian.

JJ has been the problem with the trilogy. The man is a hack. Its fate was sealed as soon as he was chosen to bear the torch.

He fucked up Star Trek, he fucked up Star Wars.

All his TV shows are shite.

Voytek

Oct 25, 2017
The more I read about this the more I think this could be a Venom situation. Yes I am now comparing a SW movie to Venom. It's a crazy new world we live in.

NinjaGarden

Oct 25, 2017
i thought the whole point was that she didn't interfere in creative decisions?

seems like she gets blamed for everything. rian made tlj, it's kathleen's fault. jj makes this, it's kathleen's fault.
Here's an interview that has a good outline of her involvement: https://io9.gizmodo.com/star-wars-kathleen-kennedy-on-the-long-road-to-ending-t-1840267035

But it's not...I've heard people say sometimes, "Well, isn't that just a committee approach?" And it's not. I've worked as a producer in film my entire career. And I always consider myself a voice in the room. But it's not my ultimate decision. It's the decision of the director, ultimately. And your job is to serve up as many curated possibilities that they can choose from, work with, see if it's going to fit in the mosaic of storytelling and then arrive at a point of view to move forward. And I just think we had a great working relationship with J.J. on this to really arrive at something that we all felt was emotionally meaningful and satisfying. And I think, knock on wood, that the fans are going to feel that, and they're going to feel listened to. I think that's always been an important thing to Lucasfilm is the fans are every bit as important to us as what any of us do. And I hope they feel that way with this.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
Holy shit it's rotten? I actually didn't expect that. I'll be honest, I'm not in a hurry to watch this anymore. How disappointing. Despite everything, I really enjoyed both TFA and TLJ. It would suck to end on a wet fart.

Future Gazer

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
unknown.png

unknown.png

Abrams is a hack. Thor 2 fans on the right side of history.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
The only way he'd work as a villain would be if they used him not as a direct powerhouse, but just due to the First Order under him having numerical advantage over the resistance. Still, Iike I said before, this was never on the cards. The clash between light and dark side has been in the center of this trilogy,so they'd never push that aside in the final movie for a "force taking down an army" take.

You're looking at this too simply. You can still DO the clash between light and dark without it being yet another tired lightsaber duel that reveals nothing new.

SigEpTendo

Oct 27, 2017
The Shadows
And before you say "It's not just animal it's a member of the family and I love him/her!" you don't. Well, to be specific, you don't love a pet before you spend substantial time with it. You are adopting/purchasing a pet to fall in love with it.
do you guys recommend 10 or 12? to start
Can someone explain to me the 'new direction' RJ took Star Wars in? The movie didn't go anywhere.
I am curious too... other than shitting all over great characters.
I do not get it either.
This. I don't understand this new direction he took Star Wars in talk and never have. One of the problems, if not the biggest problem with TLJ, is that it didn't go anywhere. The plot doesn't really move forward at all. The characters are largely in one spot the entire time. It has the smallest scale and scope of all the Star Wars films. It can be argued the reason TROS might be overstuffed as claimed is because it has to make up for TLJ not really progressing the plot and universe.
I would also appreciate an answer.

It's funny how different people can interpret the same piece of media differently, haha. I remember leaving TLJ and thinking, "Wow, they set this up to where they can go so many different ways for Episode IX!"

The biggest reason I thought this is that it set Kylo Ren set up as the "big bad" for IX. This one had the most implications on the story makes redemption for Kylo near impossible and literally closes the door on Rey and Kylo becoming allies. Depending on the length of time skip between VIII & IX, they could have Ren and Rey/Finn/Poe is drastically different circumstances.

They also Re-established force powers that allow force ghosts to interact with physical environments, which gave a lot of possibilities for characters (Luke, for example) to still have a role in IX.

Lastly, they added/reinvigorated a bunch of the mythos, which could have allowed them to do bunch of new lore stuff (Prime Jedi, Rey not really a Jedi, etc.)

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
Apparently, so I've been told by the more hardcore SW fans on the site anyway, they had planned the whole 'conclusion to the Sky Walker saga' angle from very early on in the initial process. I think it was Crossing Eden that mentioned that?

I know you're a bit more plugged into that stuff, any insight?
Oh I'm not more plugged into anything. If that was the plan from the start, it was a bad idea from the get go, IMO. This trilogy needed to be its own story to tell.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
So, what will Chris Terrio's next project be after helping burn the DCEU and Star Wars to the ground? Maybe it's time for a Lord of the Rings reboot?

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
yep. Clearly Kylo doesn't stand a chance with the entire first order behind him. why even bother continuing a movie where all the main protagonists barely escape and the resistance barely stands a chance while the main antagonist is clearly unstable with unimaginable power behind him. Sounds super boring.

the posts in here are ridiculous

By the end of TLJ Kylo Ren doesn't even have the entire First Order behind him. Look at the way Hux is giving him the side eye at the end of the movie. Look at how clearly disappointed in himself he is when he realizes how badly Luke fucking duped him.

And most importantly, see the desperate look on his face at the end there, when they show him looking towards Rey and she literally shuts the door in his face.

Kylo Ren lost the trust of both the First Order and any faith Rey had left in him at the end of the movie. Him being ousted from the FO and desperate for someone to give a shit is where that was headed.

TLJ gave us a perfect setup for him being on his own and desperate while the FO regrouped to finish off the Rebellion while they tried to rally allies to fight. He was set up to be a massive wildcard in the next movie.

Plum

May 31, 2018
Please stop comparing Star Wars to GOT. You are better than this.

It's frankly ridiculous. Sony fanboys are so adament in comparing everything to their precious exclusives that they're comparing Star Wars to Ghost of Tsushima.

That makes Kylo desperate. And a desperate villain is something I don't think we've dealt with in Star Wars before. For someone who idolized powerful Dark Lords like Vader, he's insecure and afraid that he's not powerful enough to become one. I think there are definite places you could take that dynamic with Kylo without making him just a rehash of Vader.
I think you need to reframe the way you're looking at Kylo. If you're looking at him as Vader 2, yes, he sucks at that.

But if you look at him as someone who DESPERATELY WANTS to be Vader 2 but is incredibly BAD AT IT, there's a whole ton of story potential you can mine there. Luke trolling him through the Force, causing him to fuck up and weakening his support base with the First Order. His impulsive, "nothing matters" mentality leading him to sacrifice huge swathes of his own men on fruitless pursuits while allied planets turn on him and side with the Resistance. The regenerating Resistance starting to push back and actually damage the First Order backing him into a corner and causing him to desperately lash out like a mad dog.

The problem is that a lot of people made the decision at moment 1 that Kylo HAS to go through Vader's arc and HAS TO BE redeemed, rather than showing him as the portrait of pathetic, toxic masculinity he is.

Now that you say that, yeah, I do agree with you. However I think that I've been looking at this more from a marketer's point of view. A villain that is increasingly unstable and prone to brash recklessness is really interesting, but TLJ and TFA as is barely managed to set the danger that side of him holds and so a film marketed with Kylo Ren as the main villain will have everyone looking at him as the jobber that he usually is. It would be like trying to make Phasma into a threatening villain again, I doubt it would really work.

There's also the fact that The First Order, as a whole, has already done the kind of incredibly destructive shit that a "no-holds-barred" Kylo Ren may have done. They started their campaign destroying a solar system and in the last movie they pretty much entirely decimated the Resistance. What could Kylo Ren really do that would top those in terms of impact whilst still having the third act play out like a third act (as in not having the good guys nearly wiped out)?

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
Now I'm kinda just thinking "Told you so," to all the people how called me crazy when I said the prequels will be more respected than the sequels in the end.

This entire new run has been shit.

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
The buck stops with the leadership group in charge of SW. I know some get angry when people call for Kathleen Kennedy to move on but the buck stops with her. We now have two straight flops and in any other business, leadership is responsible. Well not all the time, sometimes leadership remains and underlings are scapegoated and get the can but let's hope that doesn't happen this time. Arguing about TLJ is like arguing about table settings on the Titanic at this point.
I agree. The fault of this trilogy is ultimately upon Kathleen and the people in charge at Lucasfilm for not having a clear outline and allowing directors to write the story for them. It would work if it was one director for the whole trilogy, but they wanted to change it up in response to reactions as they went. They treated the IP like the typical disposable summer blockbuster and it shows.

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, ON
If TLJ is so imaginative and original how come it couldn't produce anything new by the end of its runtime?

I didn't say it was especially imaginative or original. I said it wasn't great, but it tried, and anything new that it tried to do was shat on. It gave us a new idea about the Force (anybody can use it), a character from the lower decks who wasn't part of this whole grand galactic saga thing (Rose), and a new, fresh and surprising take on Luke (aged, punished, grouchy but ultimately making up for his sins). Many fans didn't like these things, particularly the latter two (plus Rose is Asian and female, ew). Like I said, it wasn't great or particularly well-done, but it tried.

Also, not sure how anyone could read my post and think I was uncritically praising anything about these new movies, Last Jedi included, but hey, that's internet reading comprehension for you.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
You're looking at this too simply. You can still DO the clash between light and dark without it being yet another tired lightsaber duel that reveals nothing new.
Any climactic clash between the light and dark shouldn't be resolved with a lightsaber duel anyway, IMO. I mean, sure, it can be a part of it, but there's gotta be more to it than that. That's why Rey beating Kylo never bothered me. Because that whole arc shouldn't be resolved with "who can outpower one another?"

Oct 28, 2017
Just a reminder that when actors say they had fun on set and loved being around each other when they couldn't on the last film or that JJ runs a more comfortable set, it doesn't always translate into better art.

Bonefish

Oct 28, 2017
I want to thank Chris Terrio for giving this trilogy the send off it truly deserves. What a total embarrassment, all 3 movies.

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The reviews make it sound like the Bioshock trilogy where Infinite pretends Bioshock 2 barely existed.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if any last minute scramble to counter program in theaters is gonna happen. I remember people enjoying Jumanji a lot at the same time TLJ went out and the numbers were super high (biggest Sony movie to that point I think?) and I'd imagine thats in part to people who wanted something different.

This Dec feels a bit weaker, we've got Frozen 2, Knives out, and (ironic) Jumanji 2 but those have all been out a few weeks now. The new movies for rest of the year are

Cats (Vader Noooooooooooooooooo)
Bombshell (the Fox News / Megyn Kelly movie)
Little Women

nothing that really feels like people who may have seen Star Wars (a second time) would go see instead.