• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So let me get this straight...

The Last Jedi 'haters' are nothing but a vocal minority who represent a tiny part of the audience for an otherwise massively-successful franchise.

But they're also a large enough part of the audience to fundamentally change the path of a film that's been in development for at least 2 years.

Huh

You got it!

Box

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lancashire
The only people in this entire thread who are that level of upset are people complaining that the RT score is a spoiler because they're probably blindsided that it's this bad. There's one other guy too but what can you do.
The Spoiler of Spoiler Review Thread: The Spoiler Saga Comes to a Spoiler [No Spoilers] (Spoilerwatch: 60% Tragedy of Darth Spoiler)
Excited for another decade of Star Wars threads!

Desparadina

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

The Last Jedi 'haters' are nothing but a vocal minority who represent a tiny part of the audience for an otherwise massively-successful franchise.

But they're also a large enough part of the audience to fundamentally change the path of a film that's been in development for at least 2 years.

Huh
tenor.png

Oct 28, 2017
It's not.

There's a reason it upended the whole Hollywood system and became part of global culture for decades. There was nothing like it at the time, that it became so copied doesn't change this.
It's universally loved because of the psychological underpinnings (Campbellian myth, jungian archetypes etc) but i wouldn't necessarily say it's emotionally revelatory or risky.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Huh

Haha well said.

Gunslinger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Huh
Like poetry friend like poetry.

Oct 29, 2017
That's such a childish thing to do. Like why wouldn't want to see it for yourself before you judge the film?

A whole lot of folks on era are seeming to do just that, riding the negativity train of some of the reviews.

Honestly it seems much more mixed than it does straight up negative, so we'll see over the course of the next few days as people start to actually see it for themselves.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure I agree with that. The way I look at it is that Luke was Ben's hang-up, his white whale. He was so obsessed with the Skywalker name that he let a paper tiger illusion of it distract him from winning a decisive battle.

If anything, the way Luke goes out (quietly, alone, while other people squabble over an idealised version of his legacy) is emblematic of the way The Last Jedi, as a story, wants to put that all to rest and broaden the Star Wars horizon.
I think that interpretation would work if it was a more private, personal face-off ala Obi-Wan vs Vader. The way it was, Luke got the big hero moment in front of everyone. It was the audience pleaser, the big show stopper, and even in universe it seems implied it inspired everyone, even children on backwoods planets. To me the new characters should have been that inspiration and Luke should have quietly stopped Kylo and faded away.

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
Actually yes it is, Lucas himself has said in the past that Star Wars was intended to be a merchandise vehicle to raise funds for his next project.

It's why he retained the rights rather than taking a director's fee.

Can I ask when he said this? Lucas has changed his narrative based on what was going on with the franchise at the time. Maybe it started as that, but once the project got underway it's clear it was more than just a toy cash grab. These remakes were farmore of a nostalgia/cash grab than the originals. The force awakens was basically a new hope andagain a massive nostalgia grab.

denx

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Movie continues to jump wildly around the 60% mark. Moments ago it was fresh at 62%. Now it's back to rotten at 58%.

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Huh
Yeah, they're vocal.

Proteus

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto

Huh

I know you're being facetious but it would not surprise me at all if this is how it plays out.

With social media we have seen again and again that the loudest voice can force change even if the majority do not ask for it.

The squeaky wheel gets the grease.

Nightwing123

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, I have tickets for a 9:45pm show and because I'm an old man who goes to bed early I'm seriously thinking about just going a different day. Doesn't seem worth it at this point.

I'm really not that old.
If you have Tickets than watch it, who knows you might end up enjoying it. Plus it's the ending to a Saga that alone makes it worth a watch even If you end up being disappointed by it.

spootime

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

Huh
Really makes ya think 🤔

Dany

Oct 29, 2017
seattle
This is just shocking lol. What a damn shame. A large part of thee criticism seems to be how it doesn't carry the torch forward from Last Jedi and that it mashes up too many stories into one. I wonder if it honors the characters well. Any word how Carrie Fisher was handled??

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017

Huh

That's why is a vocal minority.

bigstef71

Banned
Jul 5, 2018
Chicago
A whole lot of folks on era are seeming to do just that, riding the negativity train of some of the reviews.

Honestly it seems much more mixed than it does straight up negative, so we'll see over the course of the next few days as people start to actually see it for themselves.
Exactly!!! Like it's possible I might hate the film but I'm going to give it a chance and the decide what I think especially since it's star wars.

Pop-O-Matic

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
We still got time. Maybe Disney will pull this at the last minute, apologize to Trevorrow and have let him make his Ep 9

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto

Huh
They're the ones who go to see it 8 times and buy the action figures. (Kids don't want action figures anymore.)

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

Huh

I imagine the problem is less that there were too many of them...

And more that JJ himself was one of them.

Coleslaw

Nov 3, 2018
Am I allowed to just not like Tran and the sequences she was associated with?

(love TLJ as a whole btw)

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I guess credit where credit is due - at least he's consistent.

For Star Trek 2009 and TFA he was basically a perfect choice - do a safe, solidly directed romp that will bring people back to a neglected franchise.

Hell, as a Star Trek fan I liked ST 2009, despite its general Abrams-ness. But it became clear with Into Darkness that Abrams did not really get the soul of Star Trek at all.

I thought he'd be a far better fit for Star Wars, but his combination of control freak tendencies and a total lack of imagination has finally come to bear.

Tony Montana

Oct 27, 2017
It's really time we moved away from the Skywalker saga.

Give me movies on The Old Republic and sequels that explore the unknown regions of space. Something that expands the universe.

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
I know you're being facetious but it would not surprise me at all if this is how it plays out.

With social media we have seen again and again that the loudest voice can force change even if the majority do not ask for it.

The squeaky wheel gets the grease.

I'm not really sure how people can say the minority. The last Jedi opened massively but made significantly less in the box office than TFA. It's pretty clear star wars fatigue has settled in hard. I'm not saying that's necessarily on TLJ, but word of mouth was BAD so it definitely contributed.

GuEiMiRrIRoW

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
I don't understand this. What did The Last Jedi disrespect? The only thing I can think of that was actually dropped from TFA is The Knights of Ren, and they were hardly a presence in TFA.

TFA introduced Snoke as Kylo's master, and TLJ had Kylo killing him to cement his rise to power. TFA had Rey lonely and wondering about her heritage, TLJ answers that by saying that she was nobody, and she'll have to find her own way. because of that. Those are all valid places to take what was set up in TFA. One may not care for those ideas, but that doesn't mean the concepts were brushed aside.

And TLJ ends with a valid set up for a final film, with the Resistance alive but in bad shape against a powerful First Order, but the Galaxy inspired by their actions. Rey, having failed at redeeming Kylo, takes her place as a new Jedi, learning from the mistakes of the old, while Kylo has ascended to Supremacy at the cost of any sort of stability he had. Finn has committed himself to the Resistance's cause, and Poe looks primed to take over leadership of the Resistance. We see hints of Hux being a Starscream-like betrayer when he almost kills and unconscious Ren. The chess pieces are all in place for the final film.

I can understand disliking The Last Jedi. I think it's a messy film, despite really loving it overall. But I think to say that it didn't respect what TFA brought up and that it didn't set the scene for a finale is, in my opinion, just factually incorrect, regardless of whether one liked what it did or not.
I'm not saying it disrepect TFA, I'm saying it disrespected the basic idea of making a trilogy. You don't finish main arcs on you second movie.

look at the lord of the rings, back to the future, pirates of the caribean, star wars OT and the prequel. Even god father!

you don't finish main arcs. RJ killed Luke too soon. He killed the main villain too. What's worse, he didn't evolve Kilo enough to be a worse and fearful new villan.

He destroyed Finn character and he didn't develop Rey for her to be someone you would care about.

but the lack of time to questionthe storyboard and start the writing on the last movie is the main culprit. It's not Abrams or RJ fault. Ok, they have some to blain butit's impossible to write a good story in only one year. These directors neve were Star Wars fanatics to know everything about theSW lore.

TheGummyBear

Jan 6, 2018
United Kingdom
Can I ask when he said this? Lucas has changed his narrative based on what was going on with the franchise at the time. Maybe it started as that, but once the project got underway it's clear it was more than just a toy cash grab. These remakes were farmore of a nostalgia/cash grab than the originals. The force awakens was basically a new hope andagain a massive nostalgia grab.

I know the post-1999 mythologising of George Lucas as a visionary changed his tune, and people's perspective of him. But he was known to talk about how he wanted Star Wars to be a "Davy Crockett stlye phenomenon" to make money from. It wasn't until after the prequels he claimed he kept the rights to keep studio control away from his films.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
I think that interpretation would work if it was a more private, personal face-off ala Obi-Wan vs Vader. The way it was, Luke got the big hero moment in front of everyone. It was the audience pleaser, the big show stopper, and even in universe it seems implied it inspired everyone, even children on backwoods planets. To me the new characters should have been that inspiration and Luke should have quietly stopped Kylo and faded away.
It's interesting, but I didn't see the final shot that way. I took it as the Force being the way that kid had always picked up his broom, and the galaxy was so focused on the big family feud that it had blinded everyone to the idea - which was canon in the prequels - that the Force is everywhere.

Don't get me wrong, I understand that the Skywalker Saga is the crowd-pleaser - both in-universe and for fans of the films. It makes logical sense that the story would follow the most powerful / gifted Force users. But let's be real: we've done that story. Once, as a full arc, in the original trilogy. Once again as extra context in the prequels. And then again in The Force Awakens.

I feel like you and I are arguing for the same thing (a future for Star Wars that doesn't have to be anchored to the Skywalkers and their entourage and propelled by nostalgia) but I came out of The Last Jedi feeling as though the right groundwork had been laid for that to happen.

Window

Oct 27, 2017
Star Wars was triumph of aesthetics, of using every cinematic trick available at the time and inventing new ones to create a new world which audiences escaped to. It was a risky endeavour because it scale and budget was unusual for the sci-fi material and pulpy tone it was going for at the time. I love the OT, they're some of my favourite movies and childhood memories but I don't understand this notion of it being emotionally revelatory or representing counter culture.