• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MillionIII

Banned
Sep 11, 2018
The OP is missing all kinds of important information.

The Art of The Rise of Skywalker was scheduled to come out the same day as the movie. A little more than a week before then it was delayed until March. Previous art books in the series had released day and date with the movie but did not include art from the climaxes of the films so as to avoid spoilers. That art was included in the next movie's art book, i.e. art from the end of The Force Awakens was published in The Art of The Last Jedi and art from the end of The Last Jedi is expected to be in The Art of The Rise of Skywalker. It's highly likely that The Art of The Rise of Skywalker was delayed so that it could include pieces from the entire movie. Why it was not originally scheduled to come out later is unknown.

The South Korean version of the art book was released a week ago, for unknown reasons. It is missing art of Palpatine, Exegol, and the end of the film. It is incredibly likely that this is the version of the book originally intended to come out last month. The delay happened late enough that it appears South Korean copies had already been printed. The publisher is recalling them. This recall is only happening in South Korea and there is no additional delay for any other territory.

There's no indication that anything in this erroneously released version will be altered or removed in the official version

Destroying unsold copies is standard operating procedure in the book business.
Awesome, I wanna see the Palpatine art.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
472162021f76c558249b9f7852d56957.jpg

This entire ordeal has been far more entertaining that the actual movie ever was.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
lol, come on, that TPM behind the scenes feature is fucking nothing like Hearts of Darkness. And I think people have always projected their own feelings about TPM onto what's seen in the doc and interpreted some more mundane moments into these supposedly grim harbingers of what a bad movie it would be. Like that infamous shot of McCallum in a screening room always gets interpreted as a "look at this shit, what have I done" look but in the actual film it just came off to me as the guy watching a movie. Or Lucas' "I may have gone too far", which iirc was more about the film's editing being paced to the point of incoherence, and cutting from scene to scene or shot to shot way too quickly. It wasn't "I may have gone too far" in the sense of "Wow this movie really sucks and everyone will hate it."

Everything "worked out great" in the Director and the Jedi because the movie was made and came out on time. How else could it have ended? The movie exists as its director intended! if Disney wanted just a portrait of the filmmaking where everything was always great, and the actors were always on board with Rian from jump, and there was nothing but smooth sailing with only the most perfunctory, superficial documenting of certain production details, they could've easily sanitized the doc to show that. They didn't. Just like they didn't scrub all of the unused ideas and characters and designs from the TFA art book either.

I did not compare TPM doc to Hearts of Darkness, I used the latter example of a more "raw" documentary while noting that the TPM doc reflected more truth and nitty gritty of filmmaking to it. TLJ documentary doesn't really show script disputes with Mark only interviews after the fact, it doesn't show Boyega possibly protesting Finn's role, it doesn't show any real meeting with Kathleen or discussions with the Story Group. There's a crucial point where George Lucas calls Rian, a call he's been waiting on, and yet we never get to hear what George had to say.

TPM documentary is a far more "honest" documentary as it's a far more "boring" documentary as we watch the minutiae of film-making, it's not really creating a narrative as much as showing the BTS of making TPM. TLJ documentary is specifically edited towards a certain narrative and thus isn't interested in minutiae or conflict in filmmaking that doesn't fit this narrative.

I mean, everything worked out great for The Last Jedi and it is a triumph. Likely the best made Star Wars film in fact.

Just because something turned out great doesn't mean there wasn't conflict or disagreement on set or adversity or challenges that had to be overcome to achieve it. Apocalypse Now is one of the greatest films of all time, but its making nearly drove Coppola mad.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
TPM documentary is a far more "honest" documentary as it's a far more "boring" documentary as we watch the minutiae of film-making, it's not really creating a narrative as much as showing the BTS of making TPM. TLJ documentary is specifically edited towards a certain narrative and thus isn't interested in minutiae or conflict in filmmaking that doesn't fit this narrative.

All documentaries are edited around a certain narrative, and I don't see how The Director and the Jedi delves any less into the minutiae or conflict in filmmaking than the TPM doc does. If anything, it delves into it even more simply by virtue of being 30 or 40 minutes longer.

In any event, the art book will be in out in two months. So if it turns out that the artwork in the South Korean version potentially linking TROS to Trevorrow's Duel of the Fates (something Trevorrow himself has denied even being in the book anyway) ends up getting removed in the released version, in order to suppress any hint of there being (quoting Keywork's original post that I responded to) "different versions that existed before [they] settled on the final product", then hey I owe you a Coke. But I would be surprised by that since the artwork is already out there anyway, and as I mentioned, TFA's artbook already included concept art for different versions of the film that preceded the final product.

lurksalot

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
It was released in South Korea last week, but the North American release wasn't scheduled until March.

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
WTF? The art book is supposed to show early concept art whether it was used or not? Why would you destroy or hide the artwork of talented artists?

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
WTF? The art book is supposed to show early concept art whether it was used or not? Why would you destroy or hide the artwork of talented artists?
Because the narrative being spun right now from leaks from South Korea is fueling the belief that it and the leaked early draft would've give us a far more satisfying story. Whether that hypothetical is true or not, it's not the narrative Disney wants out there right now with the movie still in theaters.

Feb 13, 2018
Japan
Trevorrow stated that the art book (at least what was posted in an article online) didn't contain anything from his cut, right? That makes this weirder. Maybe they'll get rid of some stuff like the (seemingly) actual screenshot of the filmed scene where Kylo approaches the Oracle.

Joeytj

Oct 30, 2017
So much confusion due to this bad OP. And just bad discourse around Star Wars online. The copies being destroyed are early drafts of the book that were accidentally printed

The Art of TROS was delayed last month, from the day of the movie's release to March 2020. It was announced before the movie's release and way before the leaks of the supposed Trevorrow script, which both him and other sources have confirmnever got to the point of having any concept art that made it to the book.

The delay is most likely being done so as to add art and info about the final act of the film, which most Art of books avoid because they are delivered or released the same day as the movie.

OP
OP
DiipuSurotu

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

antonz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Garbage OP . Fandom Menace level bullshit.

The Book Was delayed because there is no Episode 10 where they can release the final content etc. in the Episode 10 Art book. The Korean Book if you will notice is missing like 1/3 of the movie in it.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
So much confusion due to this bad OP. And just bad discourse around Star Wars online. The copies being destroyed are early drafts of the book that were accidentally printed

The Art of TROS was delayed last month, from the day of the movie's release to March 2020. It was announced before the movie's release and way before the leaks of the supposed Trevorrow script, which both him and other sources have confirmnever got to the point of having any concept art that made it to the book.

The delay is most likely being done so as to add art and info about the final act of the film, which most Art of books avoid because they are delivered or released the same day as the movie.
Yea. Doesn't seem like the OP was made in good faith given the lack of context and title.

OP
OP
DiipuSurotu

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The OP is missing all kinds of important information.

The Art of The Rise of Skywalker was scheduled to come out the same day as the movie. A little more than a week before then it was delayed until March. Previous art books in the series had released day and date with the movie but did not include art from the climaxes of the films so as to avoid spoilers. That art was included in the next movie's art book, i.e. art from the end of The Force Awakens was published in The Art of The Last Jedi and art from the end of The Last Jedi is expected to be in The Art of The Rise of Skywalker. It's highly likely that The Art of The Rise of Skywalker was delayed so that it could include pieces from the entire movie. Why it was not originally scheduled to come out later is unknown.

The South Korean version of the art book was released a week ago, for unknown reasons. It is missing art of Palpatine, Exegol, and the end of the film. It is incredibly likely that this is the version of the book originally intended to come out last month. The delay happened late enough that it appears South Korean copies had already been printed. The publisher is recalling them. This recall is only happening in South Korea and there is no additional delay for any other territory.

There's no indication that anything in this erroneously released version will be altered or removed in the official version

Destroying unsold copies is standard operating procedure in the book business.
Threadmarked

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pay the OP no mind. The book was delayed *BEFORE* the movie came out. South Korea just missed the hold and they leaked.

This is fandom menace made up bullshit.

Status
Not open for further replies.