• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
But what he became instead was far less interesting and imposing. Its true a villain doesn't have to just be an imposing dark figure, but if a villain is not going to menacing in that way, they need to have other qualities and features that make them interesting or imposing instead, be it intelligence, wit, foresight, psychological aptitude or whatever else.

Whether you're talking about Joker, Hannibal Lector, Darth Vader, Voldemort, Thanos, Anton Chighurh, Hans Landa, Le Chiffre or whatever well depicted villain, they all have qualities or traits that make them especially menacing or intriguing, or captivating to watch, but Kylo simply doesn't process that. Infact, towards the end of TLJ he almost becomes annoying and frustrating to watch instead. By that point I was bored and uninterested in his ineptitude and petulance.

See, what they should've done is lean INTO that. Lean into the fact that he's a shitty substitute for Vader and have him lash out. Not every villain NEEDS to be imposing or a controlling presence. Most evil people AREN'T that way. Not everyone needs to be Vader or Palpatine.

JeTmAn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But what he became instead was far less interesting and imposing. Its true a villain doesn't have to just be an imposing dark figure, but if a villain is not going to menacing in that way, they need to have other qualities and features that make them interesting or imposing instead, be it intelligence, wit, foresight, psychological aptitude or whatever else.

Whether you're talking about Joker, Hannibal Lector, Darth Vader, Voldemort, Thanos, Anton Chighurh, Hans Landa, Le Chiffre or whatever well depicted villain, they all have qualities or traits that make them especially menacing or intriguing, or captivating to watch, but Kylo simply doesn't process that. Infact, towards the end of TLJ he almost becomes annoying and frustrating to watch instead. By that point I was bored and uninterested in his ineptitude and petulance.

Kylo has never struck me as an out and out bad guy. They make his inner conflict too prominent for that to be the case. Hes more like the bad guy that you dont really expect to stay bad. You see that good guy team up in his future.

Of course, I'm not sure how you pull that off with a guy who murdered his father personally as well as overseeing the deaths of millions at Hosnian Prime.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Snoke was a one-dimensional character with little screen time but so was Palpatine in ROTJ. I'm not sure how that film would be received today.
For all of my complaints/issues with RotJ, it has some of the best and THE best scene of the franchise. I will argue to the death that Luke/Vader's confrontation on the Death Star II was the best moment of the franchise.

SFLUFAN

Oct 27, 2017
Alexandria, VA
Didn't chunks of George Lucas' original story get used though? I thought I read that the following were George's ideas:

- A force sensitive female protagonist being the main hero.
- Han and Leia having a child that goes to the dark side.
- Female protagonist visiting the underwater remains of the Death Star.
- Han dying in Episode VII.
- Luke going into exile due to failing as a Jedi teacher.

Yes, that's absolutely correct as per this Medium article.

Nov 10, 2019
User Banned (1 week): Trolling, posting open spoilers as speculation
Mod Edit
This might be a controversial take, but I really think Snoke should've been Plagiues or a clone of him. Not necessarily solely to resolve that plot thread, but rather to resolve the story of the Skywalkers themselves since Plagiues was at least the catalyst to their conception. It's a pretty big piece of the puzzle that is the Skywalker saga that just never gets touched upon.
That could still be the case.
Palpatine has vats of Snoke clones and he says he created him so it's possible he used the genetic material of Plagueis, after killing him, and cloned him for future usage. There's probably a reason that the Plagueis novel from the EU was quickly decanonized and not retained in the new canon. I imagine the Visual Dictionary and especially the novelization will explain more.

Last edited by a moderator:

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
It would be eviscerated with social media.
Considering that SW conversation somehow got based on supposed power levels you really have to wonder how people would react to Luke beating Vader. Since they so frequently ignore that Kylo lost to Rey in TFA due to the conflict in his heart.
FWWexP6.jpg

I imagine way less vitriolically because Luke is male and they don't get questioned to anywhere near the same degree as women in media.

MrConbon210

Oct 31, 2017
Snoke was a one-dimensional character with little screen time but so was Palpatine in ROTJ. I'm not sure how that film would be received today.

with Palpatine we had no context of the actual world of Star Wars. From the start your only context is that the Empire rules and has a giant army. It's a bit more bizarre in TFA when suddenly Snoke is a head of a massive army despite knowing they were destroyed at the end of ROTJ.

Nov 10, 2019
Considering that SW conversation somehow got based on supposed power levels you really have to wonder how people would react to Luke beating Vader. Since they so frequently ignore that Kylo lost to Rey in TFA due to the conflict in his heart.
FWWexP6.jpg

I imagine way less vitriolically because Luke is male and they don't get questioned to anywhere near the same degree as women in media.
Excellent take. It's funny how I've never heard this brought up before. If ROTJ was released today, I'd say that the vast majority of fanboys would still not see this as an issue. Baby Yoda being the prime example...

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
FWWexP6.jpg

Excellent take. It's funny how I've never heard this brought up before. If ROTJ was released today, I'd say that the vast majority of fanboys would still not see this as an issue. Baby Yoda being the prime example...

Ahsoka Tano.

Shroki

Oct 27, 2017
For all of my complaints/issues with RotJ, it has some of the best and THE best scene of the franchise. I will argue to the death that Luke/Vader's confrontation on the Death Star II was the best moment of the franchise.

Many of the bad Star Wars films have "series best" moments in them. Phantom Menace has Duel of the Fates and Pod Racing, but it doesn't change the fact that the movie has a race of Jar Jars fighting moron robots doing pratfalls and the worst acting from respected, award winning actors you will ever see.

Return of the Jedi has the Vader/Luke/Emporer scene, but... it also has muppets beating the empire in a land war (for no other reason than Lucas wanted to sell toys) and no payoff to half of the great cliffhangers at the end of Empire.

Jarmel

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Or rather Luke got punked by Vader already in a movie and had a ton of build up both in terms of capability and also setbacks.

Jarmel

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Rey has had plenty of flaws and development too but the haters will ignore all that to keep spouting their alternative facts.
ESB ended with Vader styling on Luke with minimal effort. Then there's a significant time skip after which Luke largely seems to be competent. TFA took place in like a week. TFA and TLJ taking place in a 2 week time span has always felt ridiculous to me.

Dhx

Sep 27, 2019

You're dead on. The shitting on RotJ is completely oblivious of the Throne Room sequence which is the most satisfying ending of a movie trilogy you'll ever find. It's absolutely perfect.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm referring to stuff like this

You don't seem to get that you can't recall anything noteworthy about Snoke because RJ didn't write anything noteworthy about Snoke. You think of him as a lame ass because RJ made him a lame ass.

Just because you can't think of anything doesn't mean it can't exist. You could just as easily dismiss Luke in TLJ as "meh I've already seen this before. It's Yoda all over again."

But who said anything about him needing to be master of the darkside. All I said was explore his relationship with Kylo. Have him be more of a character.

Because the issue with Snoke isn't depth, it's the type of character he is. Had the movie spent an hour fleshing out his past, he'd still be lame as hell. Time spent fleshing out a cartoon villain is wasted when his entire purpose is to elevate Kylo's arc.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
That could still be the case. Palpatine has vats of Snoke clones and he says he created him so it's possible he used the genetic material of Plagueis, after killing him, and cloned him for future usage. There's probably a reason that the Plagueis novel from the EU was quickly decanonized and not retained in the new canon. I imagine the Visual Dictionary and especially the novelization will explain more.

This better be fuckin random speculation out of your ass and not a spoiler lol

Nov 10, 2019
This better be fuckin random speculation out of your ass and not a spoiler lol
Well this is what I assumed from a picture of Ian in an interview with clone vats in the background. I think it's a reference to Plagueis because JJ recently mentioned that the opera scene from ROTS is his fav prequel moment so it would tie the saga together like he keeps saying he will do.

Jarmel

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Many of the bad Star Wars films have "series best" moments in them. Phantom Menace has Duel of the Fates and Pod Racing, but it doesn't change the fact that the movie has a race of Jar Jars fighting moron robots doing pratfalls and the worst acting from respected, award winning actors you will ever see.

Return of the Jedi has the Vader/Luke/Emporer scene, but... it also has muppets beating the empire in a land war (for no other reason than Lucas wanted to sell toys) and no payoff to half of the great cliffhangers at the end of Empire.
Which cliffhangers? The major one was Han and we got all of the Jabba stuff at the start of RotJ.

n00bs7ay3r

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Aug 21, 2018
Well this is what I assumed from a picture of Ian in an interview with clone vats in the background. I think it's a reference to Plagueis because JJ recently mentioned that the opera scene from ROTS is his fav prequel moment so it would tie the saga together like he said.
Hmmm interesting take. I have pretty much assumed that they were going to give a better explanation of Snoke in the Rise of Skywalker and, while I did not see these pictures, this seems like it could be an explanation.

EDIT: I also think they are going to retcon the whole thing about Rey's parents being unimportant and with the introduction of Palpatine I think there may be a connection there. Either that or she is related to Obi-Wan which might get explained in the upcoming Obi-Wan Disney+ show.

Nov 10, 2019
ESB ended with Vader styling on Luke with minimal effort. Then there's a significant time skip after which Luke largely seems to be competent. TFA took place in like a week. TFA and TLJ taking place in a 2 week time span has always felt ridiculous to me.
A significant time skip? It's literally a few months, six at most, if even. In fact, I've heard a lot of people complain about how different Luke was in ROTJ versus TESB and how all his development was skipped over onscreen. There's nothing in TLJ that Rey does that I would find inconsistent with TFA.

Nov 10, 2019
You've been posting in the spoiler thread, dude. You didn't assume shit.
I haven't seen the movie and I only know a few things from social media. I haven't heard anything about Snoke's role beyond the trailer with his voice which btw, also featured some weird energy vats or something. Fans made the connection between that scene and the Ian interview which pictured something similar. My theory is still that the film will reveal that Palpatine created the Skywalker line through Anakin and Rey is another similar force experiment.

Jinroh

Oct 28, 2017
Lausanne, Switzerland
Well this is what I assumed from a picture of Ian in an interview with clone vats in the background. I think it's a reference to Plagueis because JJ recently mentioned that the opera scene from ROTS is his fav prequel moment so it would tie the saga together like he keeps saying he will do.
Did you also assume Palpatine's dialogue from a picture?! This fucking guy. I'm now officially on social media blackout 4 hours before I'm watching it.