• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
The ending this story deserved already happened in Return of the Jedi.

"We had an outline and George changed everything in it," Kurtz told the Times.

"Instead of bittersweet and poignant he wanted a euphoric ending with everybody happy. The original idea was that they would recover Han Solo in the early part of the story (Solo had been kidnapped at the end of Empire) and that he would then die in the middle part of the film in a raid on an Imperial base.

"George then decided he didn't want any of the principals killed. By that time there were really big toy sales and that was a reason."

Miamiwesker

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
Because he's actually a three dimensional character acted extremely well rather than a fucking bland masked enforcer like Vader was.

just going to ignore what you said about one of the greatest movie characters in history, Kylo Ren has a different role than Vader does. Kylo is billed as a co main character, not just the villain role. This trilogy is supposed to try to tell some dual main character story of characters that are two sides of a coin. We are following Kylo's story as much as we are following Rey where in the OT it's very much Luke's journey and Vader simply plays a villain role. For this reason all these very poor comparisons people like to make when making excuses for the poor character building of Kylo Ren does not work. Yeah Vader didn't have a backstory and it worked, because he was not the focus of the story, Kylo is half the focus of this story they are not in the same role.

he needs to be more dimensional and he is well acted but I don't see where is character is going. TLJ left us in the most boring possible place for his character while shutting down most of the interesting avenues his character could take with characters that would know him best.

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
Can this movie have a lower RT than the 1st movie he directed?
bandicam-2019-12-17-21-15-11-331.png

dodo

Oct 27, 2017
Most stories aren't pre-planned trilogies in the first place. Most storytellers will tell you that trying to stick to a strict outline and forcing certain beats is detrimental to storytelling as that's just not how stories get made.

This is true, but I think stories still benefit from coming from a cohesive source even if they're not planned out to the letter ahead of time. The difference between the sequel trilogy and something like Breaking Bad or what have you is that the sequel trilogy didn't really have a creative anchor all the way through. I think for future mainline films (whether they're trilogies or just standalone Big Movies from now on) Disney would really benefit from finding someone, or a writing team, who can stick it out as a guiding hand, even if radically different directors come and go.

residentgrigo

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Germany
RotJ is a solid 7,5/10. The good vastly overshadows the sluggish 2nd act and the emotional bits work great. Sebastian Shaw´s mini role as Vader is a revelation and Mark really comes into his own as an actor in that film. It would have been a fine, if slightly toyetic, end for the series. I don´t even hate the tolerable teddies.
The film got the worst Special Edition treatment though. That version is a real Maclunkey.

TheLastYoshi

Oct 27, 2017
Can't tell if serious or trolling but if you somehow managed to miss the theme of the movie just think of the ending of Spider-Verse. Same idea.

If he didn't understand TLJ then I doubt Spiderverse connected... I've had similar convos about the latter "so why do you like it so much? the visuals are cool, but story is pretty standard superhero stuff".

Hot Priest

Alt-account
Banned
Oct 11, 2019
just going to ignore what you said about one of the greatest movie characters in history, Kylo Ren has a different role than Vader does. Kylo is billed as a co main character, not just the villain role. This trilogy is supposed to try to tell some dual main character story of characters that are two sides of a coin. We are following Kylo's story as much as we are following Rey where in the OT it's very much Luke's journey and Vader simply plays a villain role. For this reason all these very poor comparisons people like to make when making excuses for the poor character building of Kylo Ren does not work. Yeah Vader didn't have a backstory and it worked, because he was not the focus of the story, Kylo is half the focus of this story they are not in the same role.

he needs to be more dimensional and he is well acted but I don't see where is character is going. TLJ left us in the most boring possible place for his character while shutting down most of the interesting avenues his character could take with characters that would know him best.

He's the second half of the story but he also serves as a villain, so the Vader comparison is totally valid. And you're critiquing the plot, not the character. The plot has been a fucking mess since the beginning but Ren has always been interesting due to his backstory, Adam Driver, and what motivates him as a character. The foundation is solid, so whatever the plot decides to do doesn't make him a "boring" character.

residentgrigo

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Germany
MI3 was the first legit good MI film. 7,5/10. Star Trek into Dumbness though, ho boi. I actually like the Star Wars-y 2009 reboot but dear lord. What a clusterfuck. How can you mess up Space Seed and WoK!?! 84% my ass.

Deleted member 11039

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't really see it in this way. Snoke played a part but Kylo had other factors, as explored in 8, that made him shy away from the Jedi order.

The light vs dark side angle in Star Wars is utterly basic and not nearly nuanced enough for me to care for some of these cartoonish one note characters like Snoke.

I'll take a great performance by Adam Driver any day over some lame CGI puppet like Snoke.

When you say stuff like this, you do realize that Ep8 could have fleshed Snoke out to be a robust character right? One of the biggest reasons people hand wave Snoke as an uninteresting, nothing character is... because TLJ treated him as an uninteresting, nothing character.

It didn't have to be that way though. RJ could have written Snoke to be anything. I mean TFA ends with Rey going to Luke and Snoke calling Kylo to him to finish his training or whatever so my guess would be JJ had some master/pupil duality thing in mind. RJ could have easily made Snoke a much more important and fleshed out character if he wanted. He simply choose to go a different direction.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
This fanbase is the devil.

Fucking incessant whiners aren't fans.

There's a way to go about being disappointed or not totally loving something and annoying quippy memes and constantly shitting up discussions with the usual overly negative bullshit ain't it.

I can criticize any movie as much as the next guy, but I don't go out looking to complain about shit.

This guy at work basically talks about ST Star Wars daily and it's basically always negative. There's some shit I don't like but I don't rant about it fucking daily.

Everything's a meme, everything's hilarious, it's HILARIOUS when something SUCKS 🙄

"LAWL Star Wars" "lawl midi chlorians" "lawl high ground".

My attention isn't so deficit that I have to make cheap fucking memes about how HILARIOUS I think it is that something "sucks".

Deleted member 4260

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Jurassic World Fallen Kingdom is a really bad movie, Colin Trevorrow's version of ep 9 I think would've been way worse than what we got.

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Sorry, of course it isn't clear on the internet but I'm being tongue in cheek. Obviously people like it but it's definitely objectively the least liked of the original trilogy, and star wars fans like to not like things, thus joking about it.
Well, it being the least of the OT(2nd best to me) still makes it the 3rd best in the saga.

Hot Priest

Alt-account
Banned
Oct 11, 2019
Fucking incessant whiners aren't fans.

There's a way to go about being disappointed or not totally loving something and annoying quippy memes and constantly shitting up discussions with the usual overly negative bullshit ain't it.

I can criticize any movie as much as the next guy, but I don't go out looking to complain about shit.

This guy at work basically talks about ST Star Wars daily and it's basically always negative. There's some shit I don't like but I don't rant about it fucking daily.

Agreed 100 percent. Basically their identity is wrapped up in pop culture so it's the only thing they know or have an interest in talking about.

blackw0lf48

Jan 2, 2019
Part of the issue is that JJ wasn't really thinking about what he could to to follow up TLJ as he wasn't going to be involved, so it wasn't until Disney fired Colin and brought back JJ that he had to come up with something.

Disney should have delayed the film: I don't understand why they felt such a need to stick to the deadline.

Oct 25, 2017
No meaning, only lore

Themes are for 8th grade book reports
When you say stuff like this, you do realize that Ep8 could have fleshed Snoke out to be a robust character right? One of the biggest reasons people hand wave Snoke as an uninteresting, nothing character is... because TLJ treated him as an uninteresting, nothing character.

It didn't have to be that way though. RJ could have written Snoke to be anything. I mean TFA ends with Rey going to Luke and Snoke calling Kylo to him to finish his training or whatever so my guess would be JJ had some master/pupil duality thing in mind. RJ could have easily made Snoke a much more important and fleshed out character if he wanted. He simply choose to go a different direction.

Any character can be fleshed out to be interesting. Movies have a finite duration. One character getting fleshed out impedes on the development of other characters due to time limits.

Snoke served his purpose. That's the point. He didn't need fleshing out because he was not and is not the star of the show. He served his purpose as a one dimensional character filled with hubris, in service of the plotlines that Kylo and Rey were entangled in. That's all he needed to do in a two hour film.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
Agreed 100 percent. Basically their identity is wrapped up in pop culture so it's the only thing they know or have an interest in talking about.

It pisses me off that a lot of these people somehow think they're BETTER or SMARTER than the thing they're shitting on. But they couldn't direct their way out of a box. I've dealt with shit like this personally where armchair critics who can't do shit themselves criticize something I've done. I had a "friend" talk shit about my art when they can't even do stick figures. I had this one sarcastic asshole try to quip about a piece of art I did for first semester art class and the teacher called him out for being a moron and that he couldn't do better so stfu (those weren't her words).

I'm not saying that's everybody, but those people definitely do exist. The dudes I talk to at work are those kind of people.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Part of the issue is that JJ wasn't really thinking about what he could to to follow up TLJ as he wasn't going to be involved, so it wasn't until Disney fired Colin and brought back JJ that he had to come up with something.

Disney should have delayed the film: I don't understand why they felt such a need to stick to the deadline.
$

Deleted member 16657

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

The toxic fandom would probably go into overdrive "STAR WARS 9 DELAYED, IGER IS DONE WITH KATHLEEN KENNEDY" etc