• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
At the end of the day Disney and the people in charge of SW rushed movies without a plan. You can't have a cohesive story with everyone making it up as they go along. This is on Disney not the fans. The fans are only split because all the projects were half baked. I mean holy shit they actually made Solo. They sure as hell weren't listening to fans on that one.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
At the end of the day Disney and the people in charge of SW rushed movies without a plan. You can't have a cohesive story with everyone making it up as they go along.
The original SW story was literally made up as they went along, most stories in general, in every storytelling medium, are written up as they go along, especially the most notable stories that get talked about for decades and decades after they initially get released.

Hot Priest

Alt-account
Banned
Oct 11, 2019
I think he was cooler when he was just a bland enforcer, before he made him a failed christ figure

A character can be cool but not interesting. Darth Vader isn't interesting (not in the OT and especially not in the PT). Boba Fett isn't interesting. Are they cool? Sure, because they both have iconic designs and are ruthlessly efficient. But Kylo Ren is far more interesting because there's depth and layers to him as an actual human being. He isn't just iconography, and I believe in his character arc. I never believed in Anakin's character development for a second in the PT, it reeked of bullshit at every turn not just because of the performance.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
The original SW story was literally made up as they went along, most stories in general, in every storytelling medium, are written up as they go along, especially the most notable stories that get talked about for decades and decades after they initially get released.

Most stories don't get announced as pre-planned trilogies in advance.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
George did show up to Star Wars Land opening at Disneyland probably because they really twisted his arm to go though.

residentgrigo

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Germany
It´s wild that Disney could get it´s ducks in line to have the usual OMG sooo hype pre-wide release "review previews". Many of the reactions are kinda... suboptimal. Even FANT4STIC had good ones due to a strategic screening. For the record, I am very worried as I dislike much of the confirmed leaks and the trailers did nothing for me. I liked all the Disney SW films to date on the other hand. So I am more than fine with the franchise overall. That said, another lifetime of this shit aways:
uhthm2zur8541.jpg

This fanbase is the devil.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Most stories don't get announced as pre-planned trilogies in advance.
Most stories aren't pre-planned trilogies in the first place. Most storytellers will tell you that trying to stick to a strict outline and forcing certain beats is detrimental to storytelling as that's just not how stories get made.

Wait did people not understand that Broom Boy was a metaphor for the new generation of kids inspired by the Star Wars stories?
The biggest critics of TLJ definitely did not get that part like SO many other parts of the film.

spootime

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I think the comparisons to the OT are a bit disingenuous. Yeah there were three directors but GL was still guiding everything behind the scenes.

KK wasnt going up to rian in episode 8 and saying "yeah you need to talk to jj before you kill off snoke, he has no idea what the fuck to do with episode 9."

Miamiwesker

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
Because it's interesting that instead of creating a character that attempts to emulate the coolness of Vader, essentially a toy for kids to call the best villain ever just by virtue of being evil and badass

latest

they instead created a character where the entire premise is about how a character like that fits into the SW story in the first place. Where their flaws and self doubt stem specifically from such comparisons inherently existing both inside and outside of the film's universe. This on top of his being an inverse of Luke. Where he is multiple times over tempted to do the right thing instead of the wrong. With choosing the wrong thing have dire consequences leading to even more extreme instances of self doubt and self hatred which makes him dangerous during the times where it becomes overwhelming and he lashes out at everything.

This becomes even more interesting when you consider Kylo's radicalization and compare it to the very real radicalization we see in young men today. Kylo is a villain for the modern age that the ST was written in. It also helps that Adam Driver absolutely nails all of the stellar material he's been given.

I should point out that the literal original intention was for Vader to essentially be the badass Empire attack dog. Things like him being redeemed and his being Luke's father came WAYYYYYY later during the writing process.

I think it's an interesting premise executed poorly. For me to care about any of what you said I need to care for the character in some meaningful way, Vader was just cool bad guy until Empire when he became integral to the character we all love, Luke All the connection points to caring for who Kylo really is as I stated are being taken away one by one. I want to care for this character but all I have gotten is a guy we know little about and just because he is related to main characters they figured they didn't need to explore his character. I don't know what motivates him outside he wants to be evil like his grandfather, why?

I don't know what I'm supposed to feel toward him, am I supposed to be sympathetic?Am I simply supposed to hate him cause I have plenty of that for him. I think he had potential to be a three dimensional character but by the end of TLJ it's pretty set that he is just a shit and he is gone too far, so back to boring evil guy but instead of an evil guy with actual presence we have a character that isn't even great at being evil. I don't even know what to expect with him in 9. Are they really going to try a redemption arc, I feel we went like 5 exit ramps too far from potential redemption points already. Is he just going to be the villain, he needs to be menacing then. The most interesting moment for me was in TLJ in the throne room when I thought wow maybe he did turn and he settles for "rule that galaxy with me" so he just doubles down on being one dimensional. He could be interesting but I don't see it, he is fun to hate though.

residentgrigo

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Germany
I can confirm that Lucas skipped the premiere of Ep.9: https://www.inverse.com/article/61787-star-wars-rise-skywalker-premiere-george-lucas
He went to the Solo premiere, which was the last movie and he even kinda ghost directed one scene.

Poor George. I hate the prequels (the 2 shows were great) but I get it. Disney refused to use nearly all the things he gave them for the sequel trilogy for example and the behind the current scenes troubles are wild, to say the least.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I think the comparisons to the OT are a bit disingenuous. Yeah there were three directors but GL was still guiding everything behind the scenes.

KK wasnt going up to rian in episode 8 and saying "yeah you need to talk to jj before you kill off snoke, he has no idea what the fuck to do with episode 9."

Technically, she would've been talking to Trevarrow about IX until The Book of Henry came out.

Oct 26, 2017
Most stories aren't pre-planned trilogies in the first place. Most storytellers will tell you that trying to stick to a strict outline and forcing certain beats is detrimental to storytelling as that's just not how stories get made.

The biggest critics of TLJ definitely did not get that part like SO many other parts of the film.
You're right. Breaking Bad vs How I Met Your Mother. Gilligan has gone on record about how a lot of Breaking Bad he came up with as the show went on. While the HIMYM guys tried to shoehorn their original ending onto a show that had outgrown them.

Even George RR Martin has said he's had to change planned story beats in his books because things change.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
It's interesting because in a vacuum that's a good thing/theme but that's never been what Star Wars has been about.
For a new film trilogy made for a new generation of people featuring new characters, yes, that's what SW should be about.
think it's an interesting premise executed poorly. For me to care about any of what you said I need to care for the character in some meaningful way, Vader was just cool bad guy until Empire when he became integral to the character we all love, Luke All the connection points to caring for who Kylo really is as I stated are being taken away one by one. I want to care for this character but all I have gotten is a guy we know little about and just because he is related to main characters they figured they didn't need to explore his character. I don't know what motivates him outside he wants to be evil like his grandfather, why?
He got radicalized as a result of his parents not being there for him growing up and part of that radicalization was comparing him to Vader, no, something even better actually. This is shown and also told to us. The issue is you.
I don't know what I'm supposed to feel toward him, am I supposed to be sympathetic?Am I simply supposed to hate him cause I have plenty of that for him.
As I said the last time you said you didn't understand the character motivations in these films....
Everyone who formed an emotional connection with Kylo, the way they look at him, they're not angry, just disappointed, in him and also themselves.
Dcah25v.gif

4cXQbFo.gif

BKlRQBN.gif

tumblr_p5ecpysgJl1tq5q5jo3_540.gif

Also, being evil isn't inherently one dimensional. As we know Kylo's reasons for being evil and why he doubled down in both films.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017