• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If I recall, and it may no longer even be canon, but Lucas debunked that "balance to the force" meant equalizing light and dark, it meant destroying the dark since it was more of a parasitic corruption than a natural state.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
And that is interesting TBH. A lot of Palpatines conveniences get hand waved away by him being the Prime Sith at the moment.
Snoke could have been an imposter who bought his way to where he is only for Kylo to take what he feels he, a Real Sith, deserves. Have him fail at that.
Palpatine was a rich dude who got away with doing what he wanted and took advantage of politics to gain power and re-establish the sith empire after executing order 66. The most interesting thing about Snoke was that he was from the unknown regions where you got lovecraftian shit around. But Snoke's origins and exposition are not very important to a plot featuring a main character and cast in general that doesn't give a fuck about where he came from but are focused on what the hell he's currently doing.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
If I recall, and it may no longer even be canon, but Lucas debunked that "balance to the force" meant equalizing light and dark, it meant destroying the dark since it was more of a parasitic corruption than a natural state.

He probably never should've explained that because it is a much dumber explanation than what it could've been.

PennyStonks

Banned
May 17, 2018
Palpatine was a rich dude who got away with doing what he wanted and took advantage of politics to gain power and re-establish the sith empire after executing order 66. The most interesting thing about Snoke was that he was from the unknown regions where you got lovecraftian shit around. But Snoke's origins and exposition are not very important to a character study.
I never felt like Palpatine got to where he was by legitimate means tho.
I agree that The Unknown Regions are some of the most interesting things about Snoke. He even had a super cool, see where ever, telescope made by those dudes in purple robes.

Miamiwesker

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
Honestly, there's not much point in me hashing out the finer details here. I hard disagree with your assessment and that's just it really.

Adam Driver's Kylo Ren is a far more enticing and interesting performance than anything Snoke did. I struggle to remember anything noteworthy about Snoke outside of the fact that he died like the one note lame ass he was.

I think it is very possible to make a two hour movie around Kylo Ren. I think episode 9 could have been that movie. That it isn't, and that it has to reintroduce Palpatine in some capacity, is a mark against it.

I'm not saying Snoke is a more interesting character than Kylo, I'm saying he could have been used to make Kylo a more interesting character rather than be almost a joke. Snoke is the key to Ben's turn, everything Kylo is comes from Snoke, so why not explore that? Why remove it entirely from the series.

Also in terms of being menacing Kylo has the presence of a mouse. Snoke in the one scene he is actually present is far more scary than Kylo is in this entire series. He was commanding, he had presence. Throughout that one scene I felt actual fear for Rey, she finally had a worthy adversary, an overwhelming one. I don't fear for Rey when she is against Kylo Ren, hell I fear for Kylo Ren more lol. I do feel the series needs a proper villain and for the 5 minutes Andy Serkis was on screen he was killing it. That's said Palps is still king so I don't mind it in the long wrong.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is correct, and also "canon" since I believe it came from an interview discussing TCW. The natural state of the force has no darkness. The dark side is a corruption of the force.

Apr 21, 2018
I gotta say, they really did a good job rebranding this trilogy into the end of the entire saga and Skywalker story in the 11th hour.

It only seemed to become about "ending the 40 year legacy" in the marketing of this 3rd film.

I am prepared to be disappointed.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not saying Snoke is a more interesting character than Kylo, I'm saying he could have been used to make Kylo a more interesting character rather than be almost a joke. Snoke is the key to Ben's turn, everything Kylo is comes from Snoke, so why not explore that? Why remove it entirely from the series.

I don't really see it in this way. Snoke played a part but Kylo had other factors, as explored in 8, that made him shy away from the Jedi order.

The light vs dark side angle in Star Wars is utterly basic and not nearly nuanced enough for me to care for some of these cartoonish one note characters like Snoke.

I'll take a great performance by Adam Driver any day over some lame CGI puppet like Snoke.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
I never felt like Palpatine got to where he was by legitimate means tho.
I agree that The Unknown Regions are some of the most interesting things about Snoke. He even had a super cool, see where ever, telescope made by those dudes in purple robes.
He exploited the system and played two sides of a conflict to get to where he got but it's bit like Palpatine was going around doing mind tricks on all the politicians.

Because the immediate events are what's important. Not the past. Everything we need to know about Kylo and whatever mindset he's in is shown instead of told.
27f4775f2e83cc94322c0382550d80ef.gif

and that's what makes him so interesting as a character. We don't need an exposition dump to see his internal conflict. You're saying things like,

"he tore the most powerful family in the galaxy apart."

Like fam, the skywalkers are not the most powerful family in the galaxy lol. Leia didn't rule the new republic, Han came from nothing, and Luke was a farm boy who went on to create a jedi order completely isolated from the politics side of the galaxy. Kylo was young and impressionable, and felt like he was constantly being pulled to the dark as a result of his upbringing, (seriously there is no universe where Han and Leia would be legitimately great parents...). It was a perfect storm for Kylo to become manipulated and eventually radicalized.

Also in terms of being menacing Kylo has the presence of a mouse.
We aren't supposed to be menaced by Kylo. That's literally the entire intention, he's not Vader, nor a replacement in the same way that the FO aren't a replacement for the empire.

Miamiwesker

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
I don't really see it in this way. Snoke played a part but Kylo had other factors, as explored in 8, that made him shy away from the Jedi order.

The light vs dark side angle in Star Wars is utterly basic and not nearly nuanced enough for me to care for some of these cartoonish one note characters like Snoke.

I'll take a great performance by Adam Driver any day over some lame CGI puppet like Snoke.

Andy Serkis is never a lame CGI puppet.

Miamiwesker

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
He exploited the system and played two sides of a conflict to get to where he got but it's bit like Palpatine was going around doing mind tricks on all the politicians.

Because the immediate events are what's important. Not the past. Everything we need to know about Kylo and whatever mindset he's in is shown instead of told.
27f4775f2e83cc94322c0382550d80ef.gif

and that's what makes him so interesting as a character. We don't need an exposition dump to see his internal conflict.

We aren't supposed to be menaced by Kylo. That's literally the entire intention, he's not Vader, nor a replacement in the same way that the FO aren't a replacement for the empire.

so why do you find him interesting?

gagewood

Oct 25, 2017
Having read most of the reactions, it sounds like JJ came through and managed to do the near impossible - he might have made movie that's worse than TLJ (based on all the plot leaks that was probably a safe bet).

It also seems that JJ really took inspiration from the old Leno joke in 2001 that Episode II would be called "Sorry about that last one".

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
I gotta say, they really did a good job rebranding this trilogy into the end of the entire saga and Skywalker story in the 11th hour.

It only seemed to become about "ending the 40 year legacy" in the marketing of this 3rd film.

I am prepared to be disappointed.
The only way they are even remotely going this route is because of Palpatine. He's the only link suddenly in all 9 films.

Lionheart360

Oct 27, 2017
Can't decide what to do first when I wake up tomorrow. Watch the new Mandalorian episode or jump into the mosh pit that will be the review thread

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
so why do you find him interesting?
Because it's interesting that instead of creating a character that attempts to emulate the coolness of Vader, essentially a toy for kids to call the best villain ever just by virtue of being evil and badass

latest

they instead created a character where the entire premise is about how a character like that fits into the SW story in the first place. Where their flaws and self doubt stem specifically from such comparisons inherently existing both inside and outside of the film's universe. This on top of his being an inverse of Luke. Where he is multiple times over tempted to do the right thing instead of the wrong. With choosing the wrong thing have dire consequences leading to even more extreme instances of self doubt and self hatred which makes him dangerous during the times where it becomes overwhelming and he lashes out at everything.

This becomes even more interesting when you consider Kylo's radicalization and compare it to the very real radicalization we see in young men today. Kylo is a villain for the modern age that the ST was written in. It also helps that Adam Driver absolutely nails all of the stellar material he's been given.

Vader is just a bland enforcer now? The takes are getting spicyyyyyyy lol
I should point out that the literal original intention was for Vader to essentially be the badass Empire attack dog. Things like him being redeemed and his being Luke's father came WAYYYYYY later during the writing process of the films where those specific things happened. Otherwise, Vader doesn't really have any sort of character arc or character development until ROTJ. He serves only as an obstacle for Luke, and that is exemplified by the fact that we know so little about him and ESPECIALLY not any discernible character flaws.

Last edited:

Lyng

Editor at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
A danish reviewer called it "JJ listened to the angry Star Wars fans and made a hollow and bad copy of Return of the Jedi"...
I havent seen it myself so cannot comment on whether this is true or not, but felt it was a interesting comment, given how boring and safe TFA was.
(And no I dont really think TLJ was a particularly good either)

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
The most powerful family in the galaxy you say?

XBbG72z.jpg

A danish reviewer called it "JJ listened to the angry Star Wars fans and made a hollow and bad copy of Return of the Jedi"...
I havent seen it myself so cannot comment on whether this is true or not, but felt it was a interesting comment, given how boring and safe TFA was.

I mean, that's kind of what a lot of us expected. Hoping I'm wrong.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017

A bad copy of Return of the Jedi? That would suck, but I wouldn't really be surprised given that JJ made TFA a bad copy of A New Hope.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Palpatine mindtricking most of the government is exactly what I thought happened and used to rationalize his rise to power.
Yea nah, he just saw exploits in the system and used them to stoke conflict that would aid his career and eventually lead to his rise in power. It helps that everyone was really fucking stupid and couldn't tell that the guy wearing a hood who sounded very similar to the supreme chancellor was him. 🤦‍♂️

Lyng

Editor at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
A bad copy of Return of the Jedi? That would suck, but I wouldn't really be surprised given that JJ made TFA a bad copy of A New Hope.

Yeah pretty much.
As much as I didnt like TLJ, at least RJ wanted to say something with the movie and had ideas of his own.
It was a significantly more interesting movie then TFA.

Sayuz

Apr 29, 2019
He probably never should've explained that because it is a much dumber explanation than what it could've been.

He was actually talking about the Sith needing to be destroyed to bring balance to the force. He compared the Sith, and their desire to dominate the force (and each other, and everyone) to a cancer. Lucas said on multiple occasions that the force is neither good nor evil, but more like a yin and a yang. It's what evil people do with the force (those people being the Sith) that cause the imbalance that needed to be corrected.

There's a whole Reddit post going into all that stuff.

Last edited:

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't sound like it's the slam dunk I was hoping for. Oh well, it could be pretty decent, but it's probably not something I need to see on opening weekend

Gunslinger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So why the force sensitive kid in TLJ at the end? Why end with him? Are they gonna rise up against first order?

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
This is a bad read of the situation. Nobody hated TLJ because it was too "fresh and new" (it isn't). Hell, one of the biggest complaints people have with the movie is that it teases a new direction with the Rey/Kylo stuff, but completely backpedals at the end and reasserts the status quo of light vs dark.
Some of y'all really want Kylo to have a redemption arc, huh?

Star Wars will always have some fight between good guys and bad guys. TLJ recontextualizes who these characters are in the new trilogy. The only status quo changed is everyone being tied to some destiny or fate. Turns out there is none. Luke thought he had the Jedi figured out and he failed, Rey thought she was some chosen one and she got the harsh truth, and Kylo had to wake up to being nothing but a tool instead of the next Vader. Different lessons were learned and Kylo decided he wants to kill everything tied to the past, not cherish it.

I don't know where you saw some fans complaining about TLJ being the same cuz all I mentioned is what I hear the most complain about, especially Rey not being a descendant from someone special.

Last edited:

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
So why the force sensitive kid in TLJ at the end? Why end with him? Are they gonna rise up against first order?

He is the everychild. The Force is democratized in a symbolic sense. Little children taking out the trash in Milwaukee feel they might be force sensitive maybe. Little Rian being forced to sweep.