• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
I'm getting so confused with people calling The Rise of Skywalker "ROTS." Isn't that Revenge of the Sith? 💀

Jan 3, 2018
A problem I have is that he saves lives but doesn't save a soul. He never tries to lead Kylo back.

The Emperor isn't defeated when the Death Star blows up he's defeated when he can't turn Luke. Luke doesn't save Vader by getting him off the Death Star. He saves him by leading him back to the light.

This is what TLJ misses and why I'm not sure RJ really gets Star Wars.

Damn, I never thought about it this way before. Rey sees more good in a person she has met twice than Luke sees in his own nephew.

DixieDean82

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Man, I can't believe how bad I think this is going to review. Maybe I'll enjoy it more with my expectations so low, but it really seems like JJ and Chris whiffed this one bad :(

Altairre

Oct 25, 2017
That new Clone Wars season will probably be good though. So I have that to look forward to, which is nice.

kululuart

May 22, 2018
I wonder if Rian is still gonna get a trilogy after this is all said and done. Not sure many people can say he can't make a crowdpleasing movie after Knives Out.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
It took the MCU years to go through with actually retconning 1 major fan complain (The Mandarin Twist with the upcoming Shang-Chi) with all the planning they do to make sure everything is cohesive. And even then the retcon itself likely involves a clever usage of a character involved in the twist, a character the critics hated.

JJ apparently just did all the internet complains in one go and just ditched the characters the Internet told him were bad bad.

Amazing. Truly a remarkable filmmaker

Altairre

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if Rian is still gonna get a trilogy after this is all said and done. Not sure many people can say he can't make a crowdpleasing movie after Knives Out.
I sure hope he does, away from all the baggage of the main story arc. Give him all the time he needs, let him do his thing and tell a complete story. It'll probably turn out fantastic.

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017
JJ already did Into Darkness Wars with The Force Awakens

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
He'll probably get a solo film or a D+ series. I don't think Disney is eager to do trilogies if their latest comments are true/I don't want Rian locked into SW for the prime years of his career.

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Into darkness was great!

It was

tenor.gif

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Amazing how JJ gave all that lip service to TLJ in public while saying "fuck it" in private and undoing it. Rian didn't deserve this.

kululuart

May 22, 2018
I sure hope he does, away from all the baggage of the main story arc. Give him all the time he needs, let him do his thing and tell a complete story. It'll probably turn out fantastic.
Agreed. There's nobody I think who could handle a fresh new story for Star Wars more than Rian. I mean, look what he had to say about the state of things a few years back:

C3lmA8F.png

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
Now for the $50000 question.

How, if at all, will this effect the box office numbers?

This may well be a Venom situation where audiences dont give a damn and just want their spaceships and laser swords, making the film fly past a billion and not look back.

There is a generation of people who actually like the prequels, this movie will do more than fine at the box office.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Amazing how JJ gave all that lip service to TLJ in public while saying "fuck it" in private and undoing it. Rian didn't deserve this.

I know hindsight is 20/20 but if you read between the lines in all those Abrams interviews about TLJ he sounded angry as fuck at RJ. Gotta love it when a director shits on another one when he has control of a franchise -__-

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
I hate TLJ
But we got this Ep8 because of JJ remaking Ep4

With RJ doing something new without being forced to follow a weak previous movie, he can do better, hope he will do his trilogy

Altairre

Oct 25, 2017
Clone Wars is basically the saving grace of this franchise in the past 20 years.
I liked TLJ a lot but if TROS bungles it then it'll probably sour me on the trilogy somewhat. Clone Wars is (mostly) fantastic though, I agree with that. The format just suits Star Wars and especially that particular setting. Grateful we're getting another season.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
It's more a Rian cult than anything else. SW as a franchise is an afterthought to most of them.
I cannot even begin to fathom the mental gymnastics to reach this conclusion.
Word of mouth will probably be more important I think. If it could hurt TLJ, it can hurt TROS as well.
Word of mouth didn't hurt TLJ, (literally the opposite), unless you were enough of an armchair financial analyst to consider 1.3 billion and top blu ray sales to be what it looks like a film is hurt by word of mouth.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
It took the MCU years to go through with actually retconning 1 major fan complain (The Mandarin Twist with the upcoming Shang-Chi) with all the planning they do to make sure everything is cohesive. And even then the retcon itself likely involves a clever usage of a character involved in the twist, a character the critics hated.

JJ apparently just did all the internet complains in one go and just ditched the characters the Internet told him were bad bad.

Amazing. Truly a remarkable filmmaker
I honestly doubt the internet had much to do with that, by and large it seems he just ignored TLJ existed (including any characters and character development) and made a sequel to his own work. Knowing JJ Abrams previous work this is par for course and what would have happened anyway. I can't imagine a scenario where JJ didn't shaft Rose even if TLJ was universally praised by "hardcore" fans. It's just not how the dude operates

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I can't wait for the movie to come out and people start looking at the leaks thread and see everyone that is telling people to calm down right now were the ones who couldn't wait to see the freakouts, meltdowns, and justification posts for TROS. They'll tell you to calm down but in reality they wanted those moments from everyone.
There is a gulf of difference between saying this in regards to defending plot points for two years being retconned by JJ, and with regards to losing it over a disagreement about whether this movie might possibly not be reviewed as well as another one. Don't be disingenuous.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
There is a gulf of difference between saying this in regards to defending plot points for two years being retconned by JJ, and with regards to losing it over a disagreement about whether this movie might possibly not be reviewed as well as another one. Don't be disingenuous.

Don't bother, dude. Remember what happened during BvS. Just let them rant.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I said this earlier, but Clone Wars does a really good job of being an actual war story. Some of the battles it shows are really intense, it touches on things like PTSD, faith in war, disability, grief, etc. It even makes Anakin Skywalker into a likable character with depth.