• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Paper Wario

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Regardless of how 9 turns out, it still baffles me that the full trilogy was not mapped out in any way to ensure at least somewhat consistent narrative or character/story arcs. That will always be the silliest decision in my mind.

Oct 25, 2017
You know, the whole Trevorrow thing always felt like a complete knee jerk reaction on Disney's part over the success of Jurassic World.

"Well, this guy directed a nostalgia heavy revival of an old property just like what we're doing over here, he'd be perfect!"

Then Book of Henry came out and they realized what kind of director the guy actually was.
You know Kennedy was involved with Jurassic World until extremely late in the game.
Her and Spielberg struggled on JP4 for years the fact that she was likely aware of the direction World was going, Spielberg supporting him and then World being an absolutely massive success she was probably all over him as well.

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
And pointless. You'd think film critics would search within themselves to express more than just, "Uh oh yeah it's just as bad as that other bad thing"

There are very specific things wrong with the execution of GoT S8 vs previous seasons, and the comparisons seem very pointed.

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I remember actually being so stunned I turned off my computer and had to lie down, lol.

Then rationalizations started popping up like "well it's not gonna be Empire good, but it's still gonna be Jedi good, the critics are just being harsh and they don't like Jar Jar because they're stuffy adults and don't have the heart of a child" etc. etc. etc.

Yeah, TPM was something else entirely.

Oct 25, 2017
you dont usually get this many bad social media impressions even when the movie is bad, like BvS. this cant bode well and hopefully they learned and will make better movies in the future

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
Interesting to see how divisive it is. Will it become the new Last Jedi on this forum or will everyone yell at each other about both of them?
I'm going Friday night at 8, looking forward to seeing it.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, TPM was something else entirely.

SW fans were incredibly arrogant back then too, I hate to say it but I was as wrapped up in it as anyone.

I remember my friends asking if I wanted to see "The Mummy" which was playing a couple of weeks before and I refused because I didn't want to ruin my "palette" for the "movie of the decade" which was Star Wars.

Sadly, I'd come to realize in time The Mummy (1999) is a better movie than Phantom Menace by a pretty fair margin, lol.

phaze

Oct 26, 2017
Damn, 39 pages. What I miss?
IOAD2oA.gif

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
Regardless of how 9 turns out, it still baffles me that the full trilogy was not mapped out in any way to ensure at least somewhat consistent narrative or character/story arcs. That will always be the silliest decision in my mind.

I guess the problem there is that when you look at the original trilogy, it too was kind of made up as they went along, and they had other directors besides George behind the other installments (Irvin Kershner and Richard Marquand). Meanwhile, you have the prequel trilogy, and this time, George was in charge of the entire saga, and well, we all know how that turned out.

So I guess with the sequel trilogy, Lucasfilm/Disney were sort of trying to recreate what they did with the OT, by making up the story as they went along and having a different director for each film. Abrams for TFA, Johnson for TLJ, and Trevorrow for TROS...but all we know how that turned out. Hence why we're back to Abrams.

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hmmmmm

I might go see this tomorrow. Not sure to be honest, i don't really care for J.J. and TLJ wasn't my cup of tea either. All these modern Star Wars movies have been just alright at best, but nothing that i ever thought was worth spending money on and certainly not worth rewatching. So in that respect none of these come close to the OG trilogy. But i am mildly curious to see how this wraps up and just to have context for the decades worth of forum bickering that will inevitably take place.

I'm a bit surprised how mixed these reactions seemed to be. Usually these tend to be overflowing with praise.

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How the fuck is shit like this acceptable? They should've either handed it to one person or shoulda just taken whatever story concept George Lucas came up with, and handed it to worthwhile directors.

Disney fucked up a sure winner.
I think thats what they were doing. The way Luke was handled in TLJ is from Lucas for example.

but then a certain type of fans hated it so much (and liked Rougue One so much) that they back pedaled hard and changed course

Deleted member 42055

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 12, 2018
I'll enjoy this if they NAIL everything with Kylo-Rey , as they are far the most interesting, best part of the ST. Everything else I'll just deal with

TheLastYoshi

Oct 27, 2017
just cause you have that scene doesn't mean you have to pick up right there. Never once after TFA did I think the next movie would pick up right there, that's never happened before in this series. I always assumed we would get a time jump and the crawl would explain where we are, this is not rocket science. When I heard the movie would start right from that scene I was extremely confused.

TFA is the only SW movie to end on a literal cliffhanger, of course you had to pick right here, we see Luke after so many years and we do a timejump?

Miamiwesker

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
I loved The Last Jedi, and I was ecstatic that JJ was back for episode IX. I also loved The Force Awakens. Just because a vocal minority spout off on the Internet doesn't mean it speaks to the whole. This goes for TLJ haters and JJ haters, and RJ haters, etc etc.

I loved both sequel movies for what they were, not what I wanted or expected them to be. I don't agree with every single thing the filmmakers did in their respective films, but I loved them.

JJ coming back set me at ease, because I know the kind of filmmaker he is, but he also has an existing Star Wars film under his belt, so I know his take on the characters and world. A new director would have potentially added to some trepidation about how this movie was going to be resolved. If Rian Johnson has directed episode IX, I'd have been ecstatic as well, again, because I know his take on the characters and world.

Not everything is so black and white. And not everyone that loved TFA hated TLJ, or loved TLJ hated TFA. Not everyone thinks RJ or JJ are hacks and "ruined their childhood." Not everyone was expecting a sequel trilogy to a 40year old franchise to somehow magically recapture the feelings they had when they first saw the movie as a kid. Some people just aren't as bitter, jaded, and cynical as countless YouTube personalities and armchair film critics.

And this goes for both sides of the argument. Not everyone is on an extreme of love or hate. Some of us just want to sit back, Gabe a good time at the theater, then be able to discuss that experience (both positive and negative opinions), without it turning into an embarrassing shitshow. Unfortunately, discourse about the ST has been the latter, which has turned off a lot of the gray area, more objective fans from even bothering to engage in discussion. Obviously, there are still those people around, some even posting in this thread and others, but it's often drowned out by that vocal minority of extreme lovers and haters of the new movies.

I know I personally stopped discussing Star Wars online up until recently, because the discourse has been obnoxious, and not enjoyable in the slightest.
Great post, but I keeep discussing because I love talking about this and if we don't have the people that mostly enjoy all of it discussing it will become a mess.

Dec 31, 2017
Brah, if it's actually GoT S8 level of fuckery... I just...I can't bring myself to believing that. That was next level.

After just rewatching TLJ now in preparation for tomorrow this makes me very happy. The continuation of the Rey-Kylo ballet at the edge of light and darkness is something that I really want. And reading that it's properly done makes me hyped. Can't wait for tomorrow.

Yeah, this sounds really great to me actually.