• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Rassilon

Oct 27, 2017
UK
People either saying they love it or outright hate it.

tumblr_ovay9y7IDY1qjmus3o3_400.gif
i want to be free of this pain

Liquidsnake

Oct 27, 2017
I am not a Star Wars defender nor a particular fan of either TFA or TLJ, but it is clear some of these negative impressions are blatant examples of shitposting for the clicks. "This is the worst thing ever and let me include this ridiculously exaggerated and try-hard quotable analogy to make my point." Again, I am not commenting on the quality of the film one way or another, and I won't see it at release anyway. I just don't like this kind of bullshit.
Well said.

DixieDean82

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm really interested in the behind the scenes on this one. I have no idea what happened. Very unlike JJ not to at least put out a fun movie.

DorkLord54

Oct 27, 2017
Michigan
I've never played these, but people keep saying the story is so great, but I looked up a plot summary on Youtube on the Revean character's plot ... and man it's a trainwreck.
Kotor 1 is pretty much a soft retread of ANH (albeit FAR less strictly adhering to its plot than TFA did, more just having some similar beats), and - being a BioWare game - it's biggest strengths are the character writing moreso than the overall plot. Kotor II is the one with the actually great plot (which is still the best in all of SW, imo).

Starphanluke

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 15, 2017
I am not a Star Wars defender nor a particular fan of either TFA or TLJ, but it is clear some of these negative impressions are blatant examples of shitposting for the clicks. "This is the worst thing ever and let me include this ridiculously exaggerated and try-hard quotable analogy to make my point." Again, I am not commenting on the quality of the film one way or another, and I won't see it at release anyway. I just don't like this kind of bullshit.

Yeah, I'm sure these criticisms are valid but a lot of the hyperbole strikes me as clout chasing during the embargo period. I'm sure the actual reviews will be much more muted in both directions.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
I've never played these, but people keep saying the story is so great, but I looked up a plot summary on Youtube on the Revean character's plot ... and man it's a trainwreck.
It works better if your going in blind and that it's well a video game, it knows it's a video game and plays around with the expectations of such.

Kotor 2's dialogue and overall narrative is genuinely great though, the person who plays Kreia really, really kills it.

TheLastYoshi

Oct 27, 2017
At this point I would have been more curious in Treverrow's movie. Not saying that the JW movies are better but I never would have thought that the Jurassic World trilogy would be written with a more consistent overall vision than the SW sequel trilogy.

FTF

Oct 28, 2017
New York
lol omg close to 2,000 replies in like 15 hours. I underestimated things and this isn't even the review thread yet!

Revali

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Rito Village

I agree with this, but I'd say it also applies to the over-the-top positive impressions as well. Social media reviews are all about people trying to get new followers and you don't get attention by being mild and saying things like "it was flawed, but fun." It's like this for every big movie, whether it ends up being legitimately good or not.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
At this point I would have been more curious in Treverrow's movie. Not saying that the JW movies are better but I never would have thought that the Jurassic World trilogy would be written with a more consistent overall vision than the SW sequel trilogy.

I mean this isn't a spoiler because his version will never be made, but the word is Trevorrow's version had Rey and Kylo growing up together but just not remembering it, lol.

Dabanton

Oct 27, 2017
Iger preparing to clean house.

You don't invest this much money into Star Wars to see this kind of shit.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Maybe if I saw more of them at least giving this movie a chance but from the first moment that JJ was announced TLJ fans raged and proceeded to make fun of him and FA. So it's hard to get a good read as to what they actually want from the franchise and comes across as more about championing Rian than anything else.

I loved The Last Jedi, and I was ecstatic that JJ was back for episode IX. I also loved The Force Awakens. Just because a vocal minority spout off on the Internet doesn't mean it speaks to the whole. This goes for TLJ haters and JJ haters, and RJ haters, etc etc.

I loved both sequel movies for what they were, not what I wanted or expected them to be. I don't agree with every single thing the filmmakers did in their respective films, but I loved them.

JJ coming back set me at ease, because I know the kind of filmmaker he is, but he also has an existing Star Wars film under his belt, so I know his take on the characters and world. A new director would have potentially added to some trepidation about how this movie was going to be resolved. If Rian Johnson has directed episode IX, I'd have been ecstatic as well, again, because I know his take on the characters and world.

Not everything is so black and white. And not everyone that loved TFA hated TLJ, or loved TLJ hated TFA. Not everyone thinks RJ or JJ are hacks and "ruined their childhood." Not everyone was expecting a sequel trilogy to a 40year old franchise to somehow magically recapture the feelings they had when they first saw the movie as a kid. Some people just aren't as bitter, jaded, and cynical as countless YouTube personalities and armchair film critics.

And this goes for both sides of the argument. Not everyone is on an extreme of love or hate. Some of us just want to sit back, Gabe a good time at the theater, then be able to discuss that experience (both positive and negative opinions), without it turning into an embarrassing shitshow. Unfortunately, discourse about the ST has been the latter, which has turned off a lot of the gray area, more objective fans from even bothering to engage in discussion. Obviously, there are still those people around, some even posting in this thread and others, but it's often drowned out by that vocal minority of extreme lovers and haters of the new movies.

I know I personally stopped discussing Star Wars online up until recently, because the discourse has been obnoxious, and not enjoyable in the slightest.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles

Execution.

Also you're only supposed to look at Revan's plot in KOTOR 1. The characters gets dumped on after KOTOR 1.

And different things happen depending on whether you go dark, light or you're male/female.

But it's not the plot that's amazing. It's the character writing.

Oct 25, 2017
I swear every Star Wars movie has been described as the "best since Empire". I can recall threads from 2002 describing AOTC as the "best since Empire".

blackw0lf48

Jan 2, 2019

Safety Not Guaranteed, his first movie (written by Derek Connolly who also worked on the ROTS original script) was a really good movie

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If the fanbase is united in hating this, maybe we'll end up getting X - XII after all to give the saga a "proper" send off lol

Dabanton

Oct 27, 2017
I'm really interested in the behind the scenes on this one. I have no idea what happened. Very unlike JJ not to at least put out a fun movie.

I expect we'll be hearing a lot of behind the scenes drama by the end of the week.

People are going to be covering their asses and wanting to come out of this looking competent.

TheLastYoshi

Oct 27, 2017
I loved The Last Jedi, and I was ecstatic that JJ was back for episode IX. I also loved The Force Awakens. Just because a vocal minority spout off on the Internet doesn't mean it speaks to the whole. This goes for TLJ haters and JJ haters, and RJ haters, etc etc.

I loved both sequel movies for what they were, not what I wanted or expected them to be. I don't agree with every single thing the filmmakers did in their respective films, but I loved them.

JJ coming back set me at ease, because I know the kind of filmmaker he is, but he also has an existing Star Wars film under his belt, so I know his take on the characters and world. A new director would have potentially added to some trepidation about how this movie was going to be resolved. If Rian Johnson has directed episode IX, I'd have been ecstatic as well, again, because I know his take on the characters and world.

Not everything is so black and white. And not everyone that loved TFA hated TLJ, or loved TLJ hated TFA. Not everyone thinks RJ or JJ are hacks and "ruined their childhood." Not everyone was expecting a sequel trilogy to a 40year old franchise to somehow magically recapture the feelings they had when they first saw the movie as a kid. Some people just aren't as bitter, jaded, and cynical as countless YouTube personalities and armchair film critics.

And this goes for both sides of the argument. Not everyone is on an extreme of love or hate. Some of us just want to sit back, Gabe a good time at the theater, then be able to discuss that experience (both positive and negative opinions), without it turning into an embarrassing shitshow. Unfortunately, discourse about the ST has been the latter, which has turned off a lot of the gray area, more objective fans from even bothering to engage in discussion. Obviously, there are still those people around, some even posting in this thread and others, but it's often drowned out by that vocal minority of extreme lovers and haters of the new movies.

I know I personally stopped discussing Star Wars online up until recently, because the discourse has been obnoxious, and not enjoyable in the slightest.

I agree with this overall sentiment... TFA opened multiple threads and TLJ followed-up on them successfully, wish ROTS would have done the same instead of backpedaling.

monome

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Since makingstarwars started dropping HUGE spoilers 3times a week, it's felt like damage control towards diehard fans by killing the fan fictions rather than confronting them to the end product.

When TLJ dropped, it was all about the future, the dramatisation and charting New paths while staying true.

Now, we're hearing quite the contrary from the top brass who've now retreated to "Space wizards" galore (not that I don't like Space wizards).

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
Was Endgame not considered an endless series of fetch quests?
Love it or hate it the MCU is the gold standard for "showing your work" film making. So while in Endgame the crew is literally going through time to fetch gems it has the pathos and build up of the previous films to sustain it. We knew what was at stake as an audience and the protagonist and antagonist of the film had a relationship. Palp could have been a Thanos level threat but it wasn't a serious plan. Kylo should have been the heavy( conflicted or not) for the last film.

Imagine if every interaction for Endgame went like this. This is how TROS is sounding.

74f.png

a916

Oct 25, 2017

Well said.

Unfortunately it's rampant on twitter and it's rampant on these boards.

Dabanton

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe it is as simple as this. Which goes back to my earlier point that the movies should have been 3 years apart. What's nuts is that Disney wanted this movie to come out in May of this year.

When did the theme park open?

I can imagine the idea was having the 'synergy' between the movie would push people to go visit Galaxy's Edge.

DixieDean82

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
One thing is for sure. I'm not getting involved in TROS threads when it's out. I'm so tired of SW discourse being so insufferable. I've had it since TFA came out, and this movie sure as hell doesn't look like improving things.

pegaso

Oct 28, 2017
I mean obviously Disney couldn't have known they'd have so many other successes, but Endgame, Aladdin, Lion King, Toy Story 4, AND Star Wars IX all in one year is kind of poor planning.

They should have spread that out a lot more.

They knew all of those would be tremendously successful, bar some kind of catastrophe. Investors also expected it.

(Forgot Frozen II and Far from Home as well!)

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
I'll see it with an open mind when the hype dies down, but some of these impressions hint at it being exactly what I hope it's not -- a safe, fan-pandering "course correction" of the interesting risks The Last Jedi took.

I suspected Disney was chasing the strictly safe, crowd-pleaser angle even back when they hired Trevorrow. I hope I'm wrong, but fuck, I don't want this movie to "justify" the worst parts of the weirdo alt-right Star Wars fanbase. The last thing they need is to be validated.

J-Wood

Oct 25, 2017
I'll just never understand how people take these so personally. I'm going to go into the movie, shut my brain off, and enjoy the sound of a lightsaber powering up and seeing people flip them around. Anyone who thinks

100% well said. I'm excited to go into the move and listen to lightsabers light up and ships fly in space. I'll leave the theater, and hopefully have had fun.

I'm not expecting to come up and start a dicussion about how smart the movie was and how it deserves awards and was high class art. Not a single star wars movie has been that. Hell I don't care if it's even littered with plot holes. Obviously that's just me, but the toxic fandom around star wars just really sucks.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
One thing is for sure. I'm not getting involved in TROS threads when it's out. I'm so tired of SW discourse being so insufferable. I've had it since TFA came out, and this movie sure as hell doesn't look like improving things.

I think what you will see with IX now being finished and whole "hope" of "living up the OT!" is gone, a lot of th SW may calm down a bit and start to accept the franchise isn't the center the universe anymore (and hasn't really been so for a while).

So maybe some things will calm the fuck down. Or maybe not.