• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Can we steer clear of posting impressions that make overt implications for specific characters? Otherwise I'm gonna have to bow out of the broader discussion.

At least hide them behind spoiler tags, be cool.

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
KMT and Rose were completely absent from all the merchandise and promo until people started complaining so I wanted to hope it wouldn't be the case that she would be ignored but...

Astral

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why do I get the feeling that Rey will go from coming from nothing to being Jesus or something?

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
But now there's hundreds of them swarming to make one liners as quickly as possible, instead of being relegated to reviews.
I'll agree the volume has increased but there have always been quipy headlines/one liners/ pull quotes being mean towards a film in your local paper. The Critic was making fun of this in '94.

Honestly, if I didn't willingly seek out this thread I would just see the one or two critics I follow on twitter give their impression like I did when I read the New York times/Sac Bee as a kid. I'm sure if I could afford 100+ papers back in the 90's the critics dunking would look the same.

Nov 21, 2017
I know I will like it. I have like all the new Star Wars movies including Solo(my favorite was Last Jedi). But I also like the prequels, so take my view weird. I don't put new Star Wars movies on a high podium and don't expect them too. I go to see the specicale of it.
I'm a huge star wars fans but after the Last Jedi, I started to hate the fandom because how vile it was with treatment of Kelly Marie Tran.

Now that the Skywalker trilogy is done, please lucasfilm just go do a trilogy that is total new concept and nothing based on the orignal, prequel and sequel trilogies.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Do people honestly think this movie is the "end" of anything? It's so transparently not. Rey will be back in a new trilogy by 2025 regardless of what Daisy, KK or anyone else says.

IAMtheFMan

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
I cannot wait to listen to their ROTS episode after I watch it on Sunday.

Incidentally, I also started their Phantom Menace podcast a few weeks ago. I'm only like 3 episodes in, but I find their "what other movies? What's the force? What's a Jedi? Huh?" Schtick gets old very quickly. Like I get they want to analyze the movie on its own merits, but the whole meta-wink wink aspect is annoying. Do they keep this up throughout the entire series?

Perfect Chaos

Oct 25, 2017
Charlottesville, VA, USA
Absolutely unsurprising that the rising narrative im seeing from some is that if a critic liked TLJ then "of course they dislike ROS, they're a TLJ stan!"

I mean, so what is the proposal here, that only people who disliked TLJ can criticize ROS? And that if you liked TLJ you are only allowed to praise ROS?
What do you think quoting a critic's positive review of TLJ is really saying and adding to the conversation.
Oh don't worry, the real fun will be the box office threads. No matter how the film does, someone will almost certainly try to attribute it to either TLJ "killing Star Wars", or how TROS "brings the franchise back, so people want to see it". It's gonna be a carnival.

Bor Gullet

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There's a user over at the box office theory forum who's seen it, saying there's some good Palpatine meme material.

At least JJ might not let me down in that regard.

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Incidentally, I also started their Phantom Menace podcast a few weeks ago. I'm only like 3 episodes in, but I find their "what other movies? What's the force? What's a Jedi? Huh?" Schtick gets old very quickly. Like I get they want to analyze the movie on its own merits, but the whole meta-wink wink aspect is annoying. Do they keep this up throughout the entire series?

I actually started listening with Blank Check, haven't gone back to listen to the Star Wars miniseries. But it's generally quite a wink-wink podcast, though peppered with extremely astute commentary. The Phantom Podcast is the first thing they did together, though, so perhaps it takes them a while to develop a house style. Unsure.

Rabalder.

Dec 8, 2018
Sounds like a fucking mess. I hope all the neckbeards that took TLJ as a personal insult enjoy this tripe.

Meows

Oct 28, 2017

Queen Rose does not deserve this.

l0hkTwf.gif

rycisko

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Critics are complaining about it having too much fanservice when Endgame was Fanservice: The Movie and that was received insanely well for a superhero movie. I don't get it.

End Game also had multiple very good movies leading up to the gigantic final act and a story intertwined throughout an entire series that worked out beautifully the way it was told even if it catered to fan service near the end.

So, pretty much the exact opposite of how Star Wars has gone since the OT.

Deleted member 17810

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I just want to pop in and remind everyone that the most important impression is the one that the movie makes on you. Critical reviews can be great fun, and very thought provoking at times... but the most important thing about Star Wars will always be it's ability to transport you back to that time as a kid where you could watch these movies with amazement and then go home and pretend to be a Jedi.

I'm along for the ride, and who knows if it will be my new favorite Star Wars film, but I'm ready to be a 9 year old kid in the theater one last time.

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I know I will like it. I have like all the new Star Wars movies including Solo(my favorite was Last Jedi). But I also like the prequels, so take my view weird. I don't put new Star Wars movies on a high podium and don't expect them too. I go to see the specicale of it.
I'm a huge star wars fans but after the Last Jedi, I started to hate the fandom because how vile it was with treatment of Kelly Marie Tran.

Now that the Skywalker trilogy is done, please lucasfilm just go do a trilogy that is total new concept and nothing based on the orignal, prequel and sequel trilogies.
I feel the same. I usually focus on the positives. I'm pretty easy to please. Then again I loved TLJ and TFA.

DorkLord54

Oct 27, 2017
Michigan
A problem I have is that he saves lives but doesn't save a soul. He never tries to lead Kylo back.

The Emperor isn't defeated when the Death Star blows up he's defeated when he can't turn Luke. Luke doesn't save Vader by getting him off the Death Star. He saves him by leading him back to the light.

This is what TLJ misses and why I'm not sure RJ really gets Star Wars.
He doesn't try to lead Kylo back because he knows he's not the person to lead him back, as he explicitly tells Leia. He was able to turn Vader because Vader desperately wanted to connect with him, to the point that his obsession with Luke drives the plot of the second OT film; in contrast, Kylo justifiably hates Luke and wants nothing to do with him outside of exacting his 'vengeance' on him. Even if Luke were to give him a sincere apology, Kylo would like reject it, and view it as self-serving on Luke's part (which is what happens during their confrontation).