• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Man . . . I can't imagine this is what Disney thought they were getting when JJ came back.

Hell, it's not even what I thought we were getting.

Deleted member 11039

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
After rewatching TLJ and then the making of doc where Johnson explains his reasoning for Luke's finale, I think his end is fantastic and completely in character. Dude went out like a boss with one of most impressive force displays ever, helped the Resistance escape, punked Kylo, built his legend and lit the spark, then still made good on his promise to die on the island. He also went out with a massive 'light side' pacifist display, never hurting anyone, in line with Yoda's training. It's good writing, Johnson gets SW.

A problem I have is that he saves lives but doesn't save a soul. He never tries to lead Kylo back.

The Emperor isn't defeated when the Death Star blows up he's defeated when he can't turn Luke. Luke doesn't save Vader by getting him off the Death Star. He saves him by leading him back to the light.

This is what TLJ misses and why I'm not sure RJ really gets Star Wars.

infamous5445

Dec 3, 2019
Critics are complaining about it having too much fanservice when Endgame was Fanservice: The Movie and that was received insanely well for a superhero movie. I don't get it.

Deleted member 4260

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
source.gif

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know what to believe with these impressions. Last night felt like a lot of really positive stuff with some clear-headed meh responses, and now it's like a race to dunk on it as """cleverly""" as possible. Ugh.
Some fans leaking spoilers on Twitter last night were pretty negative on it

I really hope it's good but I have a feeling fans will gain a new appreciation for TLJ.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well, so was Buck Rogers, Flash Gordon, Superman, and in our lifetime, The Matrix, which had a bigger splash than TPM on release, and possibly LOTR based on the reception to the Hobbit films. Everything dies, it's eventual. It'll happen to Marvel as well.
You say this implying Superman still isn't a part of pop-culture.

Also Star Wars is almost 50 years old. It's not going anywhere anytime soon.

blackw0lf48

Jan 2, 2019
Endgame also had something to work coming from Infinity War. One of the (many) problems I had with TLJ was that it really didn't provide much in terms of a segway into the next movie, TLJ would've been much better as a standalone film with completely brand new characters.

I really don't understand this sentiment. I could see several interesting developments following the film

1. What happens when a somewhat immature, impatient, temperamental person basically becomes supreme leader? There's a lot of interesting ways to explore what happens and the character.

2. The rebuilding of the rebellion. Seeing others throughout the galaxy inspired by the stories of the resistance and joining the fight.

3. Rey no longer being shackled by needing to find meaning in her ancestry. How does that affect her?

4. Poe taking on a more mature, responsible leadership role.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Critics are complaining about it having too much fanservice when Endgame was Fanservice: The Movie and that was received insanely well for a superhero movie. I don't get it.

There are ways to do fanservice right and then just shoving it on screen because you don't know what else to do.

Endgame was the former, and Abrams only ever does the latter.

Deusmico

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know what to believe with these impressions. Last night felt like a lot of really positive stuff with some clear-headed meh responses, and now it's like a race to dunk on it as """cleverly""" as possible. Ugh.

the critics that praised the "different" tlj, don't like the new movie that goes in familiar star wars directions.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why are we judging the movie now based of Twitter posts?

How about the actual reviews? Or you know, seeing the movie ourselves?

So many people are sounding like they want to abandon ship and half of these don't even seem that negative.

What the heck is even going on here?

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
If you cut out the first half of endgame it probably would have gotten a worse response. Say what you will about Endgame but there was more to it than big loud balls to the wall fanservice all the time.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
We'll see how the actual reviews turn out but I wonder if this was what it was like back in the day when RotJ came out.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Why are we judging the movie now based of Twitter posts?

How about the actual reviews? Or you know, seeing the movie ourselves?

So many people are sounding like they want to abandon ship and half of these don't even seem that negative.

What the heck is even going on here?

A lot of these twitter posts are FROM reviewers who can't actually publish their reviews until the embargo is up.

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If you cut out the first half of endgame it probably would have gotten a worse response. Say what you will about Endgame but there was more to it than big loud balls to the wall fanservice all the time.

Endgame gave itself time to breathe, which is a rarity in the MCU. That's when it was best.

ehrlich disliking it is the least surprising thing ever

It's true.

Sims seeming so bewildered by it is more concerning.

blackw0lf48

Jan 2, 2019
Most of the responses last night from people that liked the film said that if you loved TLJ, you're more likely to not like this movie.

Most of the critics posting today are the ones who loved TLJ.

Hence the disparity.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It is interesting to hear all the interviews yesterday where everyone made a point to say how much they love working with JJ. Using words like "Especially on this film" a lot. John, Daisy and Oscar especially. I know no one wants to admit it, but it does sound like many of them did not like the direction TLJ took their characters.

Yup! Can imagine the biggest smile on my face as JJ unpicks TLJ piece by piece. Definitely feels like the crew are much more onboard with JJ. Just need Mark to let loose on his feelings now he's not duty-bound after TRoS.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
In WHAT FUCKING UNIVERSE did Kathleen Kennedy, Bog Iger, and JJ Abrams look at Batman v Superman and think "Yeah, let's hire THAT writer!" ????
fwiw it sounds like Terio was quite constrained on BvS and JL and JJ wanted him more off the strength of Argo and some currently unproduced political thriller he wrote.

Sounds like Ehrlich. People hate him and I disagree with him on, like, almost everything but he is nothing short of being entertaining lol.

Ehrlich is an interesting cat, as I so rarely agree with him and find his writing style be overly precious and twee at times, yet I'm always interested in his opinion. Kinda like Ebert, though I wouldn't call Ebert twee lol.

Just as a reminder: Ehrlich called Infinity War, I think one of the more well-liked Marvel movies here and elsewhere, "unwatchable space trash" and "one of the worst movies in the MCU," and generally has negative takes on franchise movies like these. It would've been a pleasant surprise if he liked this movie, or liked it as much as TLJ, but not unexpected that he didn't.

Gunslinger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What we got in TROS was definitely not the overall plan for ST. Should have let one director Make all 3 movies.

Ottaro

Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely unsurprising that the rising narrative im seeing from some is that if a critic liked TLJ then "of course they dislike ROS, they're a TLJ stan!"

I mean, so what is the proposal here, that only people who disliked TLJ can criticize ROS? And that if you liked TLJ you are only allowed to praise ROS?
What do you think quoting a critic's positive review of TLJ is really saying and adding to the conversation.