• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ziltoidia 9

Oct 25, 2017
Finally a Star Wars movie for the fans after the disasters of Solo and The Last Jedi.

I dunno man. Solo had the first reappearance of a character that was revived in one of the cartoons. They were going for the hardcore fans with it, and I actually welcome them trying to bring the Clone Wars/Rebels into the main live action movies. I would have loooved to see Ezra in the sequal trilogy. Maybe we will, but hell, just seems like we will get a cameo by the ship the Ghost (as seen in the trailer).

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
You asked me a question and I answered lol

Also, Terrio's script for BvS isn't all him. It started with Goyer and affleck demanded Terrio be brought in for a rewrite.
I mean, I understand that. But Terrio isn't that far from Derek Connolly in my mind. They had one pretty good script and then . . . nothing that would make me confident to pull them on as a writing partner. I think hollywood is too keen to give major projects to minor successes.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The behavior that confuses me are people who sought out the leaks so they can shit on it and let everyone know that they think the movie they haven't seen is shit.

Those types of people are often bad faith actors imo. You have a similar thing occur on the gaming side, where people who were never interested in a particular game, have historically been negative to it, or were seemingly looking to find reasons to shit on it, won't buy or play it, but will instead go into a spoiler thread to spoil story beats, watch out of context cutscenes and so on, only so they can mock the game and its story after.

In reality, if you were truly a fan of something or intent on giving it a fair and proper assessment, you would watch or play it the way it was meant to be viewed or played before passing any sort of proper or meaningful judgment.

I mean, he is an antsy manchild. That's the character. With or without a mask he's still a gigantic dweeb.

But the mask makes him look and sound more menacing, not to mention look cool too.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
I mean, I understand that. But Terrio isn't that far from Derek Connolly in my mind. They had one pretty good script and then . . . nothing that would make me confident to pull them on as a writing partner.
Ok? I didn't answer your question because I agreed with the decision or not. You asked why JJ brought him on and in interviews this is the answer JJ has given. Really not sure what to tell you

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
Pretty much a foregone conclusion that I'm gonna like this. Don't really care what anyone says, though the praise is nice to see.

Haven't disliked a single Star Wars movie yet, I doubt I'm gonna start now.

And that includes Rogue One and excellent and criminally underrated Solo.

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Ok? I didn't answer your question because I agreed with the decision or not. You asked why JJ brought him on and in interviews this is the answer JJ has given. Really not sure what to tell you
I'm saying I don't understand JJ's rationale. I'm not really asking you to defend his choice--I don't understand his choice.

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
It's gonna be fanservice, the film, it sounds like.

Some people are really gonna love that and some people are gonna hate it.

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Pretty much a foregone conclusion that I'm gonna like this. Don't really care what anyone says, though the praise is nice to see.

Haven't disliked a single Star Wars movie yet, I doubt I'm gonna start now.

And that includes Rogue One and excellent and criminally underrated Solo.
I am the same. Do I have some nitpicks? Sure, but I still have enjoyed all the Star Wars films.

Deleted member 4247

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like this movie desperately tries to correct everything that was messed up by TLJ, and has to do a bit too much in too little time. But it also sounds like it mostly succeeds, and is a great ending to the saga. So I'm excited! It's just a shame TLJ wasted so much time not moving the story forward in any meaningful way, leading to this one rushing through everything it wants to do to give the story a worthy conclusion.

UnknownSpirit

Oct 25, 2017
It looks like its either people really dug it, or people flat out hated it.

That.. Was something I didn't expect.

70-75% on RT.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
I mean, I know you are arguing in bad faith, but I will chime in: Luke didn't go into the tent to murder him, the movie makes that abundantly clear. When Luke looks into Ben's mind (again, the movie says this) he sees a possible future where Ben kills everyone/brings darkness. Seeing this vision, Luke instinctively reacts with his saber, but immediately realizes that he was foolish.

Your interpretation is directly contradicted by the actual scenes in the movie, and what Luke even physically says about those scenes.

I know he didn't come into the tent to murder him. He still committed assault on his sleeping nephew. Also Ben hadn't done anything yet. That's not an interpretation of Luke that I can get behind.

Jan 3, 2018
It would've made no sense for him to be completely open to training a total stranger without any hesitation after what happened the last time he tried training people.

If I remember correctly, she didn't request training. She requested he help the Resistance.

Actually Leia should've gone with her, being Luke's sister and all. Or at least offered Rey some guidance/training with the force, in case she was captured or something, seeing as how Leia was apparently pretty damn skilled with it.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
Ironically enough, your post is exactly the first lesson Luke was trying to teach Rey. The Force doesn't belong to the Jedi. Having a connection to the Force isn't the sole purview of the Jedi.

Even Yoda says this in Empire, and Obi-Wan in A New Hope. The Force resides in all matter, and in between all matter. And some people have an affinity for accessing it compared to others. The Jedi were specifically looking for people that showed a high affinity for connecting with the Force.

Han doesn't connect with the Force not because he can't, but because he has no interest or desire to try. Luke fails to lift his X-Wing out of the swamp, not because he can't, but because he doesn't think he can do it. So no, Han couldn't have become a Jedi specifically, but he's still a part of the Force, and possibly had Force potential if he was open enough to tap into it and let it flow through him.

Being a Jedi or Sith isn't the sole purpose of the Force. What Luke was teaching Rey (and the audience, who also share her misunderstanding that only Jedi and Sith can wield the Force), is the Force is more than just the Jedi, Sith, and lifting rocks. Though Rian humorously has her lifting a shit ton of rocks at the end of the film, which I loved.

Luke wanted to end the Jedi because people's insistence that the Jedi way was the only way to resolve conflict or to engage with the Force is flawed. In a way, it parallels modern religious conflict. I was raised Christian, but it's foolish to think that it is the only path in life, or the only ethic standard by which people should live their lives and find meaning and purpose, and that those that either follow a different faith, or don't believe in any faith at all are wrong or bad people.

Luke did come to realize that the people's adulation of the Jedi and the idea of the Jedi could prove useful in galvanizing them to reach into themselves and find the strength to fight against the totalitarianism of the First Order in their own way. Much like Poe coming to realize that hopping in a ship and blowing things up isn't the only way to be a "hero," or to lead and inspire people.

You don't have to be a Jedi to access the Force. The Force is in everything. It belongs to everyone. Much like Star Wars.

Great post. You can see this in how Luke and Rey first learn the Force. I find Rey more willing to believe, a dreamer I guess, which is why she is more readily able to be a conduit for the Force. Luke comes to Dagobah with the outlook of a moisture farmer and that is why he fails at first. Training for the Force (on the light side) is all about tearing down your mental barriers and letting yourself be a conduit for something more powerful than yourself. Too many people treat it like some video game or anime thing where it's about power levels and specific powers that you need to grind out levels before accessing and I think that comes from the era of Star Wars they grew up in with the video games and prequel trilogy.

The key to understanding the philosophy of the Force are Yoda and Obi-Wan in the OT. It's all about your instincts, trust, removing mental barriers, opening up, and letting it flow through you. I think the sequel trilogy and especially TLJ nailed this aspect which is the heart of soul of Star Wars for me.

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
Spent the entire second half with tears in your eyes? I'll never trust a reviewer who gets that emotional. Fuck outta here.

Still looking forward to it on Thurs night!

BrutalInsane

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I'm curious when Star Wars is going to go the Buck Rogers / Flash Gordon serial route and fade from the public consciousness. Maybe Marvel is quickening that fate.