• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

deadbass

Oct 27, 2017
Clapping like a seal, my brain leaking out of my ears, when Lando hits the warp drive button.

People were literally jumping out of their seats screaming and running in aisles when Yoda pulled out his lightsaber on opening night of Attack of the Clones. Still the craziest thing I've ever seen (the reaction, not Yoda flubbering everywhere).

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
i mean, it doesn't really belong to everyone. there are a lot of people that can't be a Jedi. the kids taken from their parents in the prequels were taken because they had high midichlorian counts. they were special. or are you telling me Han Solo could've been a Jedi?

Ironically enough, your post is exactly the first lesson Luke was trying to teach Rey. The Force doesn't belong to the Jedi. Having a connection to the Force isn't the sole purview of the Jedi.

Even Yoda says this in Empire, and Obi-Wan in A New Hope. The Force resides in all matter, and in between all matter. And some people have an affinity for accessing it compared to others. The Jedi were specifically looking for people that showed a high affinity for connecting with the Force.

Han doesn't connect with the Force not because he can't, but because he has no interest or desire to try. Luke fails to lift his X-Wing out of the swamp, not because he can't, but because he doesn't think he can do it. So no, Han couldn't have become a Jedi specifically, but he's still a part of the Force, and possibly had Force potential if he was open enough to tap into it and let it flow through him.

Being a Jedi or Sith isn't the sole purpose of the Force. What Luke was teaching Rey (and the audience, who also share her misunderstanding that only Jedi and Sith can wield the Force), is the Force is more than just the Jedi, Sith, and lifting rocks. Though Rian humorously has her lifting a shit ton of rocks at the end of the film, which I loved.

Luke wanted to end the Jedi because people's insistence that the Jedi way was the only way to resolve conflict or to engage with the Force is flawed. In a way, it parallels modern religious conflict. I was raised Christian, but it's foolish to think that it is the only path in life, or the only ethic standard by which people should live their lives and find meaning and purpose, and that those that either follow a different faith, or don't believe in any faith at all are wrong or bad people.

Luke did come to realize that the people's adulation of the Jedi and the idea of the Jedi could prove useful in galvanizing them to reach into themselves and find the strength to fight against the totalitarianism of the First Order in their own way. Much like Poe coming to realize that hopping in a ship and blowing things up isn't the only way to be a "hero," or to lead and inspire people.

You don't have to be a Jedi to access the Force. The Force is in everything. It belongs to everyone. Much like Star Wars.

Ziltoidia 9

Oct 25, 2017
Can someone tell me what a "good" version of Luke would be in your ideal version of TLJ? I cannot possibly imagine any other version of him that doesn't remind me of trashy YouTube fan films.

Well, in TFA we learn that luke sent off in hiding and left a hidden map to find him, and when he gets found I guess he regrets leaving the map? There seems to be many levels of his character change that are never shown on screen. There isn't a version of luke in TLJ that can please the extreme haters without fixing this stuff, I suppose.

Liquidsnake

Oct 27, 2017
Can someone tell me what a "good" version of Luke would be in your ideal version of TLJ? I cannot possibly imagine any other version of him that doesn't remind me of trashy YouTube fan films.

A mix between this::
maxresdefault.jpg

and this:

tenor.gif

PreciousDigitalFritillarybutterfly-size_restricted.gif

Oct 28, 2017
yep. He was looped into a direct follow up as a result of the cliffhanger. The state of the resistance as a direct follow up makes sense as several planets including the capital/home base were wiped out by Starkiller. For Luke, it was known in TFA that he had exiled himself due to Kylo's turn. The only logical way he would exile himself for the turn is if he did something to personally trigger it. He did. He tried to kill his nephew due to a force vision.
Yep! And him personally triggering Ben's turn is a lot more interesting and dramatic than Luke seeking out the Jedi temple to learn about some force secret that would help him defeat Snoke or something ha

Vanillalite

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not surprised. Movies VII and VIII along with all of the previous 6 had a shit ton of ends all over the place. Not surprised at it being long with JJ trying to wrap everything up.

After VIII there was just sooo much still to tell it feels like they needed more than one movie to really get through it all even if that's all they had.

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
Frankly, audience interaction is a big part of my motivation for catching the very first screening of this movie. I still remember quite vividly the audience's reactions to various moments midnight showings of the prequels.

There was cheering when Darth Maul's lightsaber is broken in half by Obi-Wan. "Ooooh"s when the future Emperor tells the future Vader he will watch his career with great interest.

That's the fun part! It's like Rocky Horror. You're there to experience something wonderful not just passively like a stone.
Couldn't agree more! The only situation I wouldn't like is if I miss an important line or something because of cheering, but I've never had that problem. People are just into the movie, and they'll shut up when they must!

WonkyPanda

Oct 26, 2017
I will never understand when someone says "TLJ doesn't respect the mythos". The entire underlining of the force, as its presented in TLJ, is an extension of Mortis.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
The worst part of being a medium Star Wars fan (Tier Alpha) is that all Star Wars threads now are war zones.

BTW people do clap and cheer at movies. Usually the first couple of weekends. Usually big franchise tent poles.

It's not unusual. They're not lunatics. I've experienced this in the UK, in Asia and in the US. It's not clapping after meals. It's people excited in a social environment. Expressing delight.

Credentials:

I thought Force Awakens was decent but a huge improvement from the prequels which were all terrible but watchable. I loved the original trilogy and subjectively my favorite film was ROTJ because I was twelve. Empire is objectively better but I don't have the same fondness or connection to it. I liked Last Jedi, Luke's character made perfect sense (he was Yoda but bitter) - I hated Snoke he was pointless and not theEmperor, I don't get, but don't mind Kylo. Rey is great and the fight with the Imperial Guards was top tier Star Wars.

I like Porgs and I'm almost caught up on Mandalorian.

I had a couple of die cast Star Wars toys. I read Splinterof the Mind's Eye. I've heard of Darth Malek but no clue who he is. I am very good at Atari's Star Wars Arcade and ROTJ arcade which is nowhere near as good.
Totally feel you here. I don't talk star wars much outside the movie launch windows and everytime I reengage, i hate what I see with the fans who live it 24/7

This is why I'm predisposed to be quite critical right now of the hater crowd. They are still organizing downvotes of trailers , you can tell this because the downvote ratios are very uneven and focused.mostly on official videos.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Well, in TFA we learn that luke sent off in hiding and left a hidden map to find him, and when he gets found I guess he regrets leaving the map? There seems to be many levels of his character change that are never shown on screen. There isn't a version of luke in TLJ that can please the extreme haters without fixing this stuff, I suppose.

Keep in mind: that map wasn't a Golden Ticket. It wasn't a "COME FIND ME AND YOU WIN THE PRIZE: JEDI LESSONS!" map. It existed so that he could leave a path for Leia and Han to find him in the event they ever needed to track him down, without exposing them to the danger of having his location in their minds where it could be easily torn out by someone trying to find him.

It was specifically an emergency thing for his family and friends, not an invitation.

Juraash

Oct 25, 2017
Ironically enough, your post is exactly the first lesson Luke was trying to teach Rey. The Force doesn't belong to the Jedi. Having a connection to the Force isn't the sole purview of the Jedi.

Even Yoda says this in Empire, and Obi-Wan in A New Hope. The Force resides in all matter, and in between all matter. And some people have an affinity for accessing it compared to others. The Jedi were specifically looking for people that showed a high affinity for connecting with the Force.

Han doesn't connect with the Force not because he can't, but because he has no interest or desire to try. Luke fails to lift his X-Wing out of the swamp, not because he can't, but because he doesn't think he can do it. So no, Han couldn't have become a Jedi specifically, but he's still a part of the Force, and possibly had Force potential if he was open enough to tap into it and let it flow through him.

Being a Jedi or Sith isn't the sole purpose of the Force. What Luke was teaching Rey (and the audience, who also share her misunderstanding that only Jedi and Sith can wield the Force), is the Force is more than just the Jedi, Sith, and lifting rocks. Though Rian humorously has her lifting a shit ton of rocks at the end of the film, which I loved.

Luke wanted to end the Jedi because people's insistence that the Jedi way was the only way to resolve conflict or to engage with the Force is flawed. In a way, it parallels modern religious conflict. I was raised Christian, but it's foolish to think that it is the only path in life, or the only ethic standard by which people should live their lives and find meaning and purpose, and that those that either follow a different faith, or don't believe in any faith at all are wrong or bad people.

Luke did come to realize that the people's adulation of the Jedi and the idea of the Jedi could prove useful in galvanizing them to reach into themselves and find the strength to fight against the totalitarianism of the First Order in their own way. Much like Poe coming to realize that hopping in a ship and blowing things up isn't the only way to be a "hero," or to lead and inspire people.

You don't have to be a Jedi to access the Force. The Force is in everything. It belongs to everyone. Much like Star Wars.

This is such a good post. The Force can't be the realm of just the Jedi and the Sith while also being generated and in all living things. Obi Wan basically describes it as part of the underpinning of the entire Galaxy. Luke is 100% right in what he says about the Force in TLJ.

Doomguy Fieri

Nov 3, 2017
People were literally jumping out of their seats screaming and running in aisles when Yoda pulled out his lightsaber on opening night of Attack of the Clones. Still the craziest thing I've ever seen (the reaction, not Yoda flubbering everywhere).
Just one of the many iconic star wars moments that deserves a thrilling, emotional finale.

blackw0lf48

Jan 2, 2019
Based on the twitter responses here's a couple things I'm picking up

1. They nailed the Kylo Ren-Rey dynamic (possibly the most important part of the trilogy)
2. The Palpatine stuff is kind of of weird and feels unecessary (which I expected)

As long as 1 is true I'll be satisfied. I can live with a stupid Emperor plot.

Nov 13, 2017

Sorry thecouncil, but after this response, you need to delete your account. That was awesome.

Ziltoidia 9

Oct 25, 2017
Keep in mind: that map wasn't a Golden Ticket. It wasn't a "COME FIND ME AND YOU WIN THE PRIZE: JEDI LESSONS!" map. It existed so that he could leave a path for Leia and Han to find him in the event they ever needed to track him down, without exposing them to the danger of having his location in their minds where it could be easily torn out by someone trying to find him.

It was specifically an emergency thing for his family and friends, not an invitation.

Seemed like it was used as intended then. Rey came with Chewie and the Falcon.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

Well said. One of the best posts on the subject of Star Wars on Era in a LONG time.

Seemed like it was used as intended then. Rey came with Chewie and the Falcon.

I imagine Luke's reaction would've been fairly different if it was actually Leia or Han showing up begging Luke for help vs. some scrappy kid asking for Jedi lessons.

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
After rewatching TLJ and then the making of doc where Johnson explains his reasoning for Luke's finale, I think his end is fantastic and completely in character. Dude went out like a boss with one of most impressive force displays ever, helped the Resistance escape, punked Kylo, built his legend and lit the spark, then still made good on his promise to die on the island. He also went out with a massive 'light side' pacifist display, never hurting anyone, in line with Yoda's training. It's good writing, Johnson gets SW.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Keep in mind: that map wasn't a Golden Ticket. It wasn't a "COME FIND ME AND YOU WIN THE PRIZE: JEDI LESSONS!" map. It existed so that he could leave a path for Leia and Han to find him in the event they ever needed to track him down, without exposing them to the danger of having his location in their minds where it could be easily torn out by someone trying to find him. It was specifically an emergency thing for his family and friends, not an invitation.
Luke didn't create or leave a map, he had nothing to do with it. They were pieces gathered from the archives of the empire. Kylo says they had a piece and needed the other part.

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
His throwing away of the lightsaber there is obviously very different to what he does in Last Jedi. They're not compareable moments. One he is saying he is a Jedi and the other he is throwing the Jedi aside, literally polar opposites.

They are 100% comparable moments .

Both moments show growth and sacrifice from Lukes point of view. In RotJ Luke is throwing away his lightsaber because he believes honoring the jedi way /sacrificing his body to Palps will bring balance to the force/redeem his father. In TLJ after Luke learns of the jedi from the Prequel trilogy he is convinced that the cycle of Jedi/Sith is pointless and he wants it to end to bring true balance to the force. Lukes on that island not just cause he's sad but because he wants the jedi order to end. Both moments show Luke is willing to sacrifice his body and die for his beliefs. Luke throwing his lightsaber in both moments shows that reckless resolve.

People want to sweep the prequels under the rug but its cannon that as well intentioned as they might have been their use/solution was the wrong one.

73ae792be02edb430d9486e23f3b0666.gif

cbe012650851cab598a6c0cd78ee65bb.gif

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Hell yeah, this post.

Deusmico

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Based on the twitter responses here's a couple things I'm picking up

1. They nailed the Kylo Ren-Rey dynamic (possibly the most important part of the trilogy)
2. The Palpatine stuff is kind of of weird and feels unecessary (which I expected)

As long as 1 is true I'll be satisfied. I can live with a stupid Emperor plot.

i want the 3 new protagonists (rey,finn,poe) to get the screen time and storylines they deserve in their trilogy!!!
(from impressions, it looks they did)

they were introduced in the force awakens in a good way but in the last jedi they were lost (finn, poe were in bad storylines. rey was babysitting moping luke....)

Valiant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wish there was real proper training with Rey. I wish Luke was more down to help and actually left with Rey.

You can't have proper training for the time frame set by Rian. Probably his biggest mistake was making the whole escape a two day thing. Setting a limit on himself like that.

Luke ends up helping.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I hope we never see Jedis pulling down Star Destroyers like that in the movies, it's fucking lame.

Couscous

Oct 30, 2017
Twente (The Netherlands)

Now you're just making shit up, or you didn't pay attention at all during TFA. People thought Luke went to the first Jedi temple and there were several pieces of a map that led to that planet which either the Resistance or The First Order held. Luke didn't leave anything, he didn't want to be found.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Now you're just making shit up, or you didn't pay attention at all during TFA. People thought Luke went to the first Jedi temple and there were several pieces of a map that led to that planet which either the Resistance or The First Order held. Luke didn't leave anything, he didn't want to be found.

I just plain forgot. If Luke didn't want to be found at all, that makes his reaction to Rey make even more sense.

Liquidsnake

Oct 27, 2017
Why does she need training? She's pretty much as good as Luke. I guess he could have taught her that sweet force projection move. I hope she uses it in RoS.
Yeah but she doesn't understand it all. Luke could have helped her. The whole few days where she begs him could have been used for better things. Instead of tossing the saber, imagine him saying where did you find this? And we go from there..............

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah but she doesn't understand it all. Luke could have helped her. The whole few days where she begs him could have been used for better things.

It would've made no sense for him to be completely open to training a total stranger without any hesitation after what happened the last time he tried training people.

Liquidsnake

Oct 27, 2017
It would've made no sense for him to be completely open to training a total stranger without any hesitation after what happened the last time he tried training people.
She returned his Saber to him, and he just tossed it. That whole scene was wrong. Should have been "Where did you get this, who are you," "Leia Sent me" and gone from there.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
So everyone already knew which planet he was on, they just didn't know where the planet was?
The "rumor" to where Luke was, according to Han in TFA, was that he went "looking for the first Jedi temple". I think the assumption is that people know specifics but not where it's located.

But there is no indication or evidence whatsoever that Luke left any map, especially since Kylo/FO have part of it.

Death of the author and all that, but JJ specifically confirms that the map comes from the archives of the empire in an interview.