• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
Scott Mendelson is probably the most accurate

This movie getting mixed social reactions is concerning enough. Both TFA and TLJ were glowing

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think this is the case. It didn't invalidate TFA, it merely didn't take it in the direction that was the obvious path. But I don't see how TLJ retconned anything from TFA.
It is interesting to hear all the interviews yesterday where everyone made a point to say how much they love working with JJ. Using words like "Especially on this film" a lot. John, Daisy and Oscar especially. I know no one wants to admit it, but it does sound like many of them did not like the direction TLJ took their characters.

I'm not sure if you are aware, but Alec Guinness (original Obi-Wan) hated Star Wars, and he was the best-trained actor in the entire 9 films. He thought it was silly and inconsequential, just pop culture without weight. So I wouldn't put too much stock into what actors think, in terms of what to think about a movie.

Oct 28, 2017
This thread is nuts. 85% of the reactions have been positive, but you would think it is the opposite from reading people in this thread.

I think one of those tweets said it best.

In the end, it wasn't JJ Abrams or Rian Johnson that killed Star Wars. It was the fans that killed Star Wars.

It needs a complete reboot after this and outside the box thinking. Mainline Star Wars films going back to the prequels are completely crushing under the weight of their own expectations. A portion of the fandom is completely toxic and expect a damn near life changing religious experience every time one of these movies is released.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That's my feeling as well. Social media reactions tend to break the way of fans and then things deflate from there.

In this case, it seems to have pscyched out the most committed group, the people who have decided to hate the movie. Rather than the fans

Isn't that a bad sign then if the fans aren't psyched for this movie???

Antoo

May 1, 2019
Funny how people say the prequels don't shit on the original trilogy when it has stuff like midichlorians or outright destroys characters like Yoda who is turned into a violent asshole.

That's not even the worst part as the whole prequel trilogy was built on showing Anakin's turn, which ended up being horribly unsatisfying and rushed. It retroactively makes you look at Vader in a different way. The Clone Wars show is pretty much required viewing if you want to not be reminded of Anakin's dumbass frolicking in the fields whenever you look at Vader.

Sequel trilogy has done a better job reinforcing and expanding on the themes of the OT even in its unevenness are times.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
It is literally unbelievable to me that some people think Rian Johnson "damaged" the ST by allowing Adam Driver to act without a fucking helmet on.
I know, but some people only act like SW is good because of superficial things, like saying Kylo is a bad villain because he's not a cool stomp curber like Vader, where he's meant to more a Commondus type of villian, or saying Luke has to be as confident in his old age, as he was as a kid. Some can't even handle them killing Snoke mid way through the trilogy because they can't imagine any other ending other the heroes uniting with one last battle against the evil cackling evil lord... oh wait, that sounds a shame.

Liquidsnake

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think this is the case. It didn't invalidate TFA, it merely didn't take it in the direction that was the obvious path. But I don't see how TLJ retconned anything from TFA.

I'm not sure if you are aware, but Alec Guinness (original Obi-Wan) hated Star Wars, and he was the best-trained actor in the entire 9 films. He thought it was silly and inconsequential, just pop culture without weight. So I wouldn't put too much stock into what actors think, in terms of what to think about a movie.

As an huge SW fan himself, I think I will put a lot of stock into what John thinks about the movie and the direction of his character. I think i will mind his thoughts on working with RJ as opposed to JJ.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Funny how people say the prequels don't shit on the original trilogy when it has stuff like midichlorians or outright destroys characters like Yoda who is turned into a violent asshole.

That's not even the worst part as the whole prequel trilogy was built on showing Anakin's turn, which ended up being horribly unsatisfying and rushed. It retroactively makes you look at Vader in a different way. The Clone Wars show is pretty much required viewing if you want to not be reminded of Anakin's dumbass frolicking in the fields whenever you look at Vader.

Sequel trilogy has done a better job reinforcing and expanding on the themes of the OT even in its unevenness are times.
To be honest I look at scenes like TLJ's Luke/Yoda conversation and can't believe when people say it "ruined" anything about Star Wars. It really built/elevated on it.
Yoda.gif

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
I think what makes me saddest is that this is likely playing right into the hands of the insufferable idiots that were bitching and moaning about The Last Jedi killing franchise, for various reasons, many of which leaned hella hard into misogny.

It's the same thing I feel about this new Ghostbusters film. Pandering to an audience that doesn't deserve being pandered to.

Bunga

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
You have to be so suspicious of impressions from people that are weeping or cheering in a theater. Lunatic behavior.

There's a lot of hyperbole in the impressions and this thread but I really don't see what's up with crying or cheering at the movies (with the latter as long as you're not the only one ruining everyone elses time at the cinema). Isn't that whole point of watching movies - to have the audience have emotional reactions to what is going on? Not really lunacy is it, it's passion.

DJwest

Oct 26, 2017
why would a person remain exactly the same throughout their entire life?

it isn't even like Luke had core beliefs or deep character development - he largely does whatever he's told and then near the end almost turns to the dark side before getting owned and having his dad save him.

TLJ's Luke is 100% believable when it explains what happened in the interim. It makes sense that he'd try his hand in teaching out the force, and it makes sense that he succumbed to fear despite his teachers warnings. Yoda's still teaching him lessons from beyond the grave well into his old age.
you're not the same person you were 10 years ago. None of us are.

SW is a lived in universe. Things change people just like everything changes us IRL

and TFA set all that up not TLJ
He's the same guy, good at heart and sometimes too emotional like turning his lightsaber on his family in a moment of weakness, just now old and has some of those old-aged eccentricities. When your that age, I bet you'll be winding up young people like he did with Rey, "Did you feel the force?" fishing and milking that alien. Loved it. I think if you see Yoda and Obi Wan in the prequel trilogy, they're a lot different but people didn't seem to mind that as much because of the way the chrononolgy was told. There was like 30 years between the trilogies so it's catching you more off guard, when you see Luke's new habits and rough around the edges,. IMO it was a very good thing.
Oh boy, 3 replies already. It's OK to have different opinions guys. I have no intention to try changing yours. Let's just say that I expected more from Luke after he learnt that Han Solo was killed and that Kylo and the Order were wrecking Leia and the Resistance. Again, let's agree to disagree

Deusmico

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think what makes me saddest is that this is likely playing right into the hands of the insufferable idiots that were bitching and moaning about The Last Jedi killing franchise, for various reasons, many of which leaned hella hard into misogny.

It's the same thing I feel about this new Ghostbusters film. Pandering to an audience that doesn't deserve being pandered to.

are you seriously calling misogynists everyone that didn't liked tlj?

the reasons that most state in the last pages is that it disrespects the star wars mythos

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
Can't wait until people learn about Cannes and Venice, where they have fifteen minute long standing ovations and tons of booing mixed in.

Hot Priest

Alt-account
Banned
Oct 11, 2019
I know, but some people only act like SW is good because of superficial things, like saying Kylo is a bad villain because he's not a cool stomp curber like Vader, where he's meant to more a Commondus type of villian, or saying Luke has to be as confident in his old age, as he was as a kid. Some can't even handle them killing Snoke mid way through the trilogy because they can't imagine any other ending other the heroes uniting with one last battle against the evil cackling evil lord... oh wait, that sounds a shame.

Yeah, I don't understand it. If people want the OT, they can rewatch the OT. The ST trying to do new things should be encouraged.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
He spent the whole ROTJ movie saying that Vader had good in him, and in the minute before the gif he was attacking him in rage with everything he had and cut his hand and THEN realized he was fucking it up.

He turned on the lightsaber for one second realizing he fucked up with Ben.

That's Luke. A flawed hero, who was always negative, always complaining and whining, impulsive, reckless and fearful.

That's who we were shown in the OT, that's who he was in TLJ.

There's a vast difference between when he was fighting Vader and when he snuck into his nephew's tent, broke into the privacy of his mind and turned his lightsaber to murder him while he was sleeping.

ROTJ at least had the justification of self defense and fighting one of the most vile villains in galactic history

Oct 27, 2017
As an huge SW fan himself, I think I will put a lot of stock into what John thinks about the movie and the direction of his character. I think i will mind his thoughts on working with RJ as opposed to JJ.

To counter: Lucasfilm has said that Rian's work on TLJ was the smoothest they had done, everything (including working with actors) went really smoothly on set. My whole point is that different people are going to like or dislike working with certain directors, but that has no bearing on the actual plot being good or not. People hated working with Kubrick, arguably one of the greatest directors of all time, but he made good work. But he was a giant asshole.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The worst part of being a medium Star Wars fan (Tier Alpha) is that all Star Wars threads now are war zones.

BTW people do clap and cheer at movies. Usually the first couple of weekends. Usually big franchise tent poles.

It's not unusual. They're not lunatics. I've experienced this in the UK, in Asia and in the US. It's not clapping after meals. It's people excited in a social environment. Expressing delight.

Credentials:

I thought Force Awakens was decent but a huge improvement from the prequels which were all terrible but watchable. I loved the original trilogy and subjectively my favorite film was ROTJ because I was twelve. Empire is objectively better but I don't have the same fondness or connection to it. I liked Last Jedi, Luke's character made perfect sense (he was Yoda but bitter) - I hated Snoke he was pointless and not theEmperor, I don't get, but don't mind Kylo. Rey is great and the fight with the Imperial Guards was top tier Star Wars.

I like Porgs and I'm almost caught up on Mandalorian.

I had a couple of die cast Star Wars toys. I read Splinterof the Mind's Eye. I've heard of Darth Malek but no clue who he is. I am very good at Atari's Star Wars Arcade and ROTJ arcade which is nowhere near as good.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The problem is more on Rey's side. The movie ended directly on Rey meeting Luke. You can't gloss over that and you have to show that aftermath. Too many questions regarding Luke to probably do a time skip with relative ease either. But it means you have to make a choice on whether you have two very different timelines between the Resistance and Rey, or you do what TLJ did and keep em' close together

The problem with this is you can't pick up the Rey/Luke story three years later.

I completely forgot about that lol, but yeah, I guess that roped Rian into picking up asap.

Last edited:

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
The worst part of being a medium Star Wars fan (Tier Alpha) is that all Star Wars threads now are war zones.

BTW people do clap and cheer at movies. Usually the first couple of weekends. Usually big franchise tent poles.

It's not unusual. They're not lunatics. I've experienced this in the UK, in Asia and in the US. It's not clapping after meals. It's people excited in a social environment. Expressing delight.

It legitimately felt weird to me watching Spider-Man FFH in complete silence on opening night in Japan. I'm used to the clapping for big tentpoles around release. And I enjoy it!

JoelStinty

Aug 15, 2019
I don't know the context but Kylo re putting his mask on and crudely reattaching all the pieces together, doesn't seem to contradict his depiction in TLJ, as much bollocks as the guy talks about killing the past and creating a new order, he's the one most consumed by the past. Even after killing Snoke, not much has changed... so far, it's the same empire vs rebels conflict with Kylo just taking the ultimate arsehole throne instead. He's the biggest cliche he hates.

Yeah that was my first thought too. Kylo was the one who could never leave his past behind despite his protestation. Seems in character to me.

Anyway I think I'm going to leave all Star Wars threads and put Star Wars news on silent. (Will have a quick browse of reviews tomorrow - I guess they're out tomorrow, Robbie Collin said he is seeing the film tonight), Get all discourse out of the system so I can go in fresh and hopefully enjoy the film.

Oct 27, 2017
There's a vast difference between when he was fighting Vader and when he snuck into his nephew's tent, broke into the privacy of his mind and turned his lightsaber to murder him while he was sleeping.

ROTJ at least had the justification of self defense and fighting one of the most vile villains in galactic history

I mean, I know you are arguing in bad faith, but I will chime in: Luke didn't go into the tent to murder him, the movie makes that abundantly clear. When Luke looks into Ben's mind (again, the movie says this) he sees a possible future where Ben kills everyone/brings darkness. Seeing this vision, Luke instinctively reacts with his saber, but immediately realizes that he was foolish.

Your interpretation is directly contradicted by the actual scenes in the movie, and what Luke even physically says about those scenes.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
Getting that idiotic helmet off was one of the best decisions in The Last Jedi. It looks utterly stupid.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Oh boy, 3 replies already. It's OK to have different opinions guys. I have no intention to try changing yours. Let's just say that I expected more from Luke after he learnt that Han Solo was killed and that Kylo and the Order were wrecking Leia and the Resistance. Again, let's agree to disagree
You're free to your opinion, I'm free to say why I think I disagree.

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
Can someone tell me what a "good" version of Luke would be in your ideal version of TLJ? I cannot possibly imagine any other version of him that doesn't remind me of trashy YouTube fan films.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

Speaking as an actor: our opinions aren't very useful. We build connections with characters that the audience can never see and we dream up hypothetical situations for scenes that happen off-script and off camera.

It's not the actor's job to create the character, it's their job to INTERPRET it. But that interpretation begins and ends with the page and the screen, and whatever silly scene I might potentially dream up off-set means nothing if it doesn't make it into the film or the play.

Mark Hamill does not know Luke Skywalker better than anyone else. He knows the version of Luke HE PLAYED better than anyone else but his opinions on the direction the character took hold no more weight than anyone else's. The same is true for John Boyega.

Rookhelm

Oct 27, 2017
I like all the movies to varying degrees and recognize various flaws within them too. People can like what they want, but what doesn't make sense to me is when people say they liked the prequels but not the ST. Like....that just doesn't compute.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This sentiment is toxic and is used to silence criticism. Seeing how people reacted to Boyega the other day, the more rabid members of the TLJ fanbase really need to cool it with this supposed moral high ground.

I loved TFA, and JJ's interpretation of Star Wars, and can't wait to see IX on Thursday.

No it isn't.

No one here is claiming that anyone who doesn't like the newer movies just doesn't like diversity, but there is absolutely no denying that the most vocal, toxic naysayers for these films have largely attacked it for that reason. Arguing otherwise is disingenuous.

See - this right here is what actually poisons the discussions. I have zero issue with diversity in star wars, and absolutely hate the sequel trilogy, more than I ever disliked any of the prequels

It is difficult to believe you're arguing in good faith when 1) you claim defense of diversity is what's "actually" poisoning discussion, not the attacks on it, and 2) you claim to hate the new movies more than you do the prequels, which, man, whew.

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
QUOTE="Randomly Generated, post: 27485015, member: 10893"]
The problem with this is you can't pick up the Rey/Luke story three years later.

I completely forgot about that lol, but yeah, I guess that roped Rian into picking up asap.
[/QUOTE]

yep. He was looped into a direct follow up as a result of the cliffhanger. The state of the resistance as a direct follow up makes sense as several planets including the capital/home base were wiped out by Starkiller. For Luke, it was known in TFA that he had exiled himself due to Kylo's turn. The only logical way he would exile himself for the turn is if he did something to personally trigger it. He did. He tried to kill his nephew due to a force vision.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Isn't that a bad sign then if the fans aren't psyched for this movie???
I'm saying fans project onto positive early buZz and things tend to be not as rosy in actuality. All I am saying is the more energized group in this case are the antifans who are projecting on the minority negative reactions

Not that it means much as most managed premieres always have mostly positive reactions. But it's usually the fans hyping things up off the positive reactions. And that may well be the case outside our bubble. But in a few nerd.circles I've looked at, it is the haters who are energized.

JeTmAn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It legitimately felt weird to me watching Spider-Man FFH in complete silence on opening night in Japan. I'm used to the clapping for big tentpoles around release. And I enjoy it!

Frankly, audience interaction is a big part of my motivation for catching the very first screening of this movie. I still remember quite vividly the audience's reactions to various moments midnight showings of the prequels.

There was cheering when Darth Maul's lightsaber is broken in half by Obi-Wan. "Ooooh"s when the future Emperor tells the future Vader he will watch his career with great interest.

That's the fun part! It's like Rocky Horror. You're there to experience something wonderful not just passively like a stone.