• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm actually intrigued by the idea that the movie is undoing TLJ, not because I want that to happen necessarily, but more because I'm curious how that would even work short of, like, resurrecting Snoke. However, the idea that Abrams was going to "course correct" after TLJ was a narrative people have been building the moment he came back, so it could just be confirmation bias.

With all that said, it definitely sounds like this has too much going on and either needed to be longer or have a more merciless editor.

This is the only good post in the thread.

Luke materialises and winks at the camera.
His throwing away of the lightsaber there is obviously very different to what he does in Last Jedi. They're not compareable moments. One he is saying he is a Jedi and the other he is throwing the Jedi aside, literally polar opposites.

Im gonna just switch myself off from the force. LOL.

He's standing there with Jedi robes on, on a historical Jedi site, and before Rey gave him the saber he was almost in tears to see his fathers saber that called out to Rey. Good riddance to Rian's TLJ.

MagicHobo

Oct 27, 2017
My guess is that people who hated TLJ and claimed it killed the Star Wars franchise for them will now go out of their way to claim this undoes everything so they can like it.
Don't get me started on the people who liked TLJ and see any new details as reasonable developments and not deliberate retcons. Don't believe their lies that Star Wars has always played it a bit fast and loose or that it's all in good fun. They'll tell themselves anything to salve their wounds and help them sleep at night.

LBsquared

Banned
Nov 22, 2019
My guess is that people who hated TLJ and claimed it killed the Star Wars franchise for them will now go out of their way to claim this undoes everything so they can like it.
What about those of us who just think TLJ sucks and doesn't have any effect on our love or hatred for what came before it?

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

He's standing there with Jedi robes on, on a historical Jedi site, and before Rey gave him the saber he was almost in tears to see his fathers saber that called out to Rey. Good riddance to Rian's TLJ.

Rian's treatment of Luke comes from Lucas' original outlines and the concept art was done during TFA's production. He did not make it up out of whole cloth.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
Don't get me started on the people who liked TLJ and see any new details as reasonable developments and not deliberate retcons. Don't believe their lies that Star Wars has always played it a bit fast and loose or that it's all in good fun. They'll tell themselves anything to salve their wounds and help them sleep at night.

Lol, the fact that you describe this like it's a war says everything about you. "Wounds" - hilarious. Imagine enjoying a movie, outrageous.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017

I think that would be news to Mark Hamill. IIRC he was not given much of any direction to work with for his TFA scene.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
The Last Jedi is like two separate movies in my mind. There's the great one, the one that's everything involving Rey, Kylo Ren, and Luke.

Then there's the rest of the movie, which is as bad or worse than the prequels. It's like they wanted to make the Rey/Kylo/Luke movie but then remembered they had to have these other characters in it and improvised the rest.

I think the good parts of TLJ are way better than The Force Awakens. Hopefully TRoS is closer to the former.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
I get the impression that this movie might be a little bit of a mess, not totally unlike TLJ, because they are cramming a lot into a single movie. But I liked the majority of TLJ and I'm excited to watch this. Sounds at least like it will be a highly enjoyable spectacle.

Kaah

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
Paris
They are trying to paint it as closer to an equal split, and you know it. And all the data shows otherwise.
"All" no, only the one very US-centric you're looking at.
Here's french equivalent of Rottentomatoes and biggest website about movies: http://www.allocine.fr/film/fichefilm-215099/critiques/spectateurs/
TLJ is sitting at a 2.8/5 user score with 24k votes. As you can see your data changes drastically depending of the country.
It's obvious that the majority of people liked The Last Jedi, but the same can be said about nearly every hollywood blockbuster.

lobdale

Oct 25, 2017
What if I liked TFA and loved TLJ? Am I allowed to also love/like this for being a Star Wars movie in which characters do things?

Deleted member 11039

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
He spent the whole ROTJ movie saying that Vader had good in him, and in the minute before the gif he was attacking him in rage with everything he had and cut his hand and THEN realized he was fucking it up.

He turned on the lightsaber for one second realizing he fucked up with Ben.

That's Luke. A flawed hero, who was always negative, always complaining and whining, impulsive, reckless and fearful.

That's who we were shown in the OT, that's who he was in TLJ.

The guy who refused to give up on his dad even when everyone else was telling him not to is "always negative, complaining and whining." The only guy who felt they could make the shot to take down the Death Star was "always negative, complaining and whining."

This is such revisionist nonsense to align with the cynical view TLJ took.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
"All" no, only the one very US-centric you're looking at.
Here's french equivalent of Rottentomatoes and biggest website about movies: http://www.allocine.fr/film/fichefilm-215099/critiques/spectateurs/
TLJ is sitting at a 2.8/5 user score with 24k votes. As you can see your data changes drastically depending of the country.
It's obvious that the majority of people liked The Last Jedi, but the same can be said about nearly every hollywood blockbuster.
Lot's of review bombs there, too, which is very obvious when it's shown. So yes, all the data, overall, shows us this.

EDIT: just saw mod note, will refrain from TLJ talk from here!

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
Yeahhhhh, we'll see.

I haven't read a single leak and I'll keep it that way, but the media loved TLJ too and I personally really didn't.

I did read that George Lucas was NOT invited to the première? Seriously, wtf is that?

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
What's the point of these social media impressions anyway? Surely Disney goes through and handpicks people to go see the movie early and leave good Twitter impressions. I doubt they'd let anyone see it who they'd feel would say anything negative about the film.

We did this the last two films too, no?

Oct 26, 2017
I can't wait for this movie to ruin all movie discussions on this site for the next couple of years, by people who take their entertainment way too seriously.

Prine

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think that would be news to Mark Hamill. IIRC he was not given much of any direction to work with for his TFA scene.
Proves my point then as Mark instinctively reacts that speaks directly to an audience that waited 30+ years to see Jedi Master Luke. To see that set up lead into his mistreatment in TLJ was shameful, feels like we'll hear more about this from Mark once TRoS hype passes.

JCizzle

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
The Last Jedi is like two separate movies in my mind. There's the great one, the one that's everything involving Rey, Kylo Ren, and Luke.

Then there's the rest of the movie, which is as bad or worse than the prequels. It's like they wanted to make the Rey/Kylo/Luke movie but then remembered they had to have these other characters in it and improvised the rest.

I think the good parts of TLJ are way better than The Force Awakens. Hopefully TRoS is closer to the former.

I'm not a huge fan of the approach they took to Luke, but I agree it was well done based on that approach. Overall I totally agree with your point.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Proves my point then as Mark instinctively reacts in a way that that tapped into the audience, after seeing Jedi Master Luke 30+ years later. To see that set up lead into his mistreatment in TLJ was pretty shameful, feels like we'll hear more of this from Mark once TRoS hypes passes.

His reaction in TFA was mostly just "what the hell are you doing here", though. Anything more than that is your own interpretation based on what you wanted to see.

John Harker

Knows things...
Oct 27, 2017
Santa Destroy
What's the point of these social media impressions anyway? Surely Disney goes through and handpicks people to go see the movie early and leave good Twitter impressions. I doubt they'd let anyone see it who they'd feel would say anything negative about the film.

We did this the last two films too, no?

We all do that. It's standard tactic, strategically managing initial word of
Mouth and amplifying positive sentiment

MagicHobo

Oct 27, 2017
Lol, the fact that you describe this like it's a war says everything about you. "Wounds" - hilarious. Imagine enjoying a movie, outrageous.
It says a lot that I might have missed the mark on indicating sarcasm, but to be clear I was hoping to lampoon this very concept. Describing things in such a hardline serious way is batshit, but seemingly par for the course.

Last edited:

Ziltoidia 9

Oct 25, 2017
I always knew that after the series was done, it would devolve into whose fault, JJ or RIan's. This ultimately just points to a lack of planning for a complete story. Individual movies can have great parts to it, but without the correct set ups, it doesn't feel like a total package. It's freaking star wars, if they needed all 3 movies to be 3 hours, then they should have just gave it to them.

lobdale

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe not in this thread and the other RoS threads ... but you have my high five and allowance for a free digital cookie whenever you want.
giphy.gif

spootime

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
the real luke would never toss away a light saber!

73ae792be02edb430d9486e23f3b0666.gif

... whoops

Is the point of gifposting like this just to troll or is it actually supposed to be an argument

I always knew that after the series was done, it would devolve into whose fault, JJ or RIan's. This ultimately just points to a lack of planning for a complete story. Individual movies can have great parts to it, but without the correct set ups, it doesn't feel like a total package. It's freaking star wars, if they needed all 3 movies to be 3 hours, then they should have just gave it to them.

It's Disney's fault for pumping them out so quick

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
You are divining this based on a bunch of tweets ?

I had always felt people who had issues was going to say the same thing no matter what happens and you mostly prove the point. It's going to.come down to how loud they can shout vs din of the conversation, like how the Rey is a Mary Sue critique was seemingly everywhere but went no where because no one cared

Oct 27, 2017
Why do I get the feeling this is gonna be like RotS but just a more competently made mess of fan service.

Fuck.

RotS. TRoS.

Cfuk.

Dysun

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
Impressions are raising my expectations, and I didn't like either of the last two movies (TLJ + Solo).
Will find out for myself soon enough

Nephtes

Oct 27, 2017
I was really hoping for peace in the galaxy (of internet discourse) after this movie.

It appears we're never going to get that. And that's sad. What an ignominious end for a series that brought us all together in awe and wonder in the late 70's and 80's...

brought us all together in hate at the end of the 90's and early 2000's at what Uncle George did to a once beloved franchise...

but has divided us in the 2010s because some people can't get over diversity in their space fantasy and a realistic depiction of what Luke Skywalker having become the rightfully disgruntled Jedi master would be like.

Sad really...but I guess it has brought balance to the discourse.

Ziltoidia 9

Oct 25, 2017
You are divining this based on a bunch of tweets ?

I had always felt people who had issues was going to say the same thing no matter what happens and you mostly prove the point. It's going to.come down to how loud they can shout vs din of the conversation, like how the Rey is a Mary Sue critique was seemingly everywhere but went no where because no one cared

Said it before the tweets. TLJ turned into a case of people wanting to prove why something was good or bad, so their whole existance around star wars was to view everything through that lense. Now steps TROS, a movie that had very little possible plot threads to continue on because TFA and TLJ, story wise, do not match up. No amount of time between movies would fix it.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Proves my point then as Mark instinctively reacts that speaks directly to an audience that waited 30+ years to see Jedi Master Luke. To see that set up lead into his mistreatment in TLJ was shameful, feels like we'll hear more about this from Mark once TRoS hype passes.
I think you are just reading into the scene what you want to believe.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017

Who's fault that all three movies will be critically and financially well-received? Yeah who can shoulder the blame for that.

Browser

Apr 13, 2019
He spent the whole ROTJ movie saying that Vader had good in him, and in the minute before the gif he was attacking him in rage with everything he had and cut his hand and THEN realized he was fucking it up.

He turned on the lightsaber for one second realizing he fucked up with Ben.

That's Luke. A flawed hero, who was always negative, always complaining and whining, impulsive, reckless and fearful.

That's who we were shown in the OT, that's who he was in TLJ.

He had the temptation, and held back. He was tempted in Jedi. I'm sure he still saw the good in Vader as he was chopping off his hand.

And then he doesn't.

It's the same thing.

Fuck.

Fuck.

He was fighting vader before, but he only got enraged enough to actually hurt him bad and cut his hand after vader threatned his sister. There's context for that. and still, after him doing that, he let vader live and refused to kill him and give in to anger and fear.

What was the context for him to even think about killing kylo? There might me one, we just don't know. One thing is for sure, the Luke in TLJ is not the same Luke in ROTJ. and that's ok. people change. We just didn't see the change, and that's the main issue. From our perspective, he turned in the drop of a hat.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
It says a lot that I might have missed the mark on indicating sarcasm, but to be clear I was hoping to lampoon this very concept. Describing things in such a hairline serious way is batshit, but seemingly par for the course.

Well, when the discussions over the years have reached the "it ruined my childhood" point, you can't expect the sarcasm to be detected by how batshit is a take about it.