• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

PrintedCrayon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seadome
Can't say I'm ever swayed by initial twitter impressions. Just feels a bit... bought?

Give me some cynical bastard sinking their teeth into this thing.

Hype is rising though.

whytemyke

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
These reactions are always the same for every single big movie that releases lmao. "Epic" "I want to see it again" "Best one so far".
So I was seeing tweets that weren't necessarily all glowing like that, which makes me think that if the paid social media impressions are already showing divides then this movie is going to be divisive as well.

BECAUSE THE REAL STAR WARS ARE THE WARS WE FIGHT AMONGST OURSELVES!

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I loved both TFA and TLJ, so my hopes have always been high for this. Cannot wait!

Deleted member 9237

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's good to know that internet mobs can decide the future of movies now. I'm sure a lot of minorities will be very happy to hear that. Their representation is in very good hands. /s
Yeah I'm sure JJ just directs movies based on what people write on twitter. Not like he had a plan for three movies that Johnson threw in the garbage, and which he then had to salvage or anything.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I'm sure JJ just directs movies based on what people write on twitter. Not like he had a plan for three movies that Johnson threw in the garbage, and which he then had to salvage or anything.
TLJ set up a third film perfectly, if it fumbles it's not on Rian.

Also JJ is pretty much always weak with endings...

Deusmico

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's good to know that internet mobs can decide the future of movies now. I'm sure a lot of minorities will be very happy to hear that. Their representation is in very good hands. /s

you are doing a mistake believing that the last jedi is disliked because women or minorities.

those toxic antiwomen groups existed before (the force awakens with marysue, rogue one with snowflake one etc)

having bad storylines with women gave them more of a voice as general population disliked/divisive with the movie as well.
imo this is one of the biggest last jedi failings.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Fuck it, if I'm happy when I walk out the theater then that's all that matters to me. See y'all on Thursday

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
no, it's fairly clear that Holdo, the officer in charge, does not trust him with the information, in large part because she knows him to have poor judgement.

does anyone actually watch these movies, or just stare at the ceiling while characters talk?

EVERYTHING MUST BE OVERT AND DIDACTIC.
From all the spoilers, I'm not seeing how this movie undoes TLJ in any way. It's a tonally different movie that's for sure, but it doesn't seem to actively retcon anything. I'm curious of what exactly is being spoken of, or if folks are just mad at the different direction and tone the movie takes? I wouldn't see that as shitting on Rian at all, and TLJ left the window wide open to do whatever they wanted with the ending.
people seem to think Rian Johnson took Star Wars to some whole new level, where JJ keeps it Star Wars.

I still don't know what the fuck people are talking about saying Rian did something new. He did nothing new.

Gots

Feb 20, 2019
Canada
Has there ever been a negative set of impressions for a major film like this? I remember BvS had positive initial impressions

chezzymann

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really do hope so because right now I am feeling very disconnected to the OT. I think a lot of people have forgotten that the entire Republic, the republic they were defending in the three prequel movies, the one they were trying to get back in the three original movies, was destroyed in a matter of minutes in TFA by a super planet (which btw makes the iconic death stars look like a joke, another thing I hate about the ST). Such a gigantic event and it was barely dealt with so far. Instead we have a slowmo chase in TLJ where the last rebels are fleeing. This is how the ST have dealt with this unbelievable event. I really hope they address it TROS.
It's almost like the only purpose the
new republic served was to mirror alderaan in A New Hope and to get the sequel trilogy to have almost the same, boring, status quo as the OT.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
"This really needed to be 2/3/9 movies" talking points, for this or any movie, are dumb. If a movie is stuffed with too much plot, then write less plot.

that said, "too much plot" is usually not an issue for me with franchises I'm already in the tank for. People said the same thing about The Dark Knight Rises and Endgame, didn't bother me at all.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The people that think TLJ was amazing are the same people that refer to star wars as kids movies with space wizards...smh. If you're indifferent about the franchise, or can't understand how there's still 'toxicity' why belittle those who have more passion for the franchise. Let them discuss and critique a story which impacts their childhood fantasies so significantly. Why revel in the fact that this movie is so hurtful to many, it's like you want this wonderful universe to fit your ideals and world view only, anyone else is not part of the club.
Why defend an otherwise successful director so vehemently, bloody defending him like he paid for your tuition.
It's more a Rian cult than anything else. SW as a franchise is an afterthought to most of them.
No but really it's the people who like TLJ that are the toxic ones we swear!

Maybe they'd stop calling them kids movies if you stopped acting like children.

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if those that are saying it undoes TLJ are people who misread the themes and still think TLJ is about letting the past die.

As for fan service, I mean, yes? It's ending a trilogy of trilogies.

Modern film discourse is fucking stupid.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Impressions seem more positive than I would've expected. I was getting a weird feeling about this one, largely because the marketing has been so vanilla. Plot heavy/dense is good with me, I welcome it completely.

Also, the narrative of "if you like TLJ you'll be disappointed" is really strange. People like TLJ for many different reasons. This stuff isn't as binary as some people make it out to be. There are plenty of people who like both TFA and TLJ, myself included.
Its remarking at fanatical TLJ fans that want things to be binary. Rey parentage for instance, it cant be anything else but nobodies. The past cant be anything of significance. Skywalker name doesnt hold any value etc. If your cool with both movies, i assume you'll be fond of TRoS.

whytemyke

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I feel like I'm being gaslit. Part of the reason I dont take social media impressions seriously is specifically because of the positive word of mouth BvS had
I'm with you. I remember the social media impression thread as being overwhelmingly positive as well. The review thread wasn't, but social media impressions were hugely positive.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm actually intrigued by the idea that the movie is undoing TLJ, not because I want that to happen necessarily, but more because I'm curious how that would even work short of, like, resurrecting Snoke. However, the idea that Abrams was going to "course correct" after TLJ was a narrative people have been building the moment he came back, so it could just be confirmation bias.

With all that said, it definitely sounds like this has too much going on and either needed to be longer or have a more merciless editor.

Heh

Sidebar: Popstar fucking rules and we should all be ashamed it bombed at the box office
This is the only good post in the thread.

Oct 28, 2017
Non-stop action was a big worry of mine with JJ returning. It's just his style. And one of the primary reasons why I prefer Johnson as a director and TLJ as a movie. Scenes breathe and the movie isn't constantly racing from one problem or action scene to another.

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
people seem to think Rian Johnson took Star Wars to some whole new level, where JJ keeps it Star Wars.

I still don't know what the fuck people are talking about saying Rian did something new. He did nothing new.

The main difference is that Rian understands how to address underlying themes and JJ only seems to understand action. It's a running thread across his entire filmography. Fun to watch but there's nothing underneath.

Which I guess is what some people want out of Star Wars.

airbagged_

Jan 21, 2019
Charleston, SC
The people that think TLJ was amazing are the same people that refer to star wars as kids movies with space wizards...smh. If you're indifferent about the franchise, or can't understand how there's still 'toxicity' why belittle those who have more passion for the franchise. Let them discuss and critique a story which impacts their childhood fantasies so significantly. Why revel in the fact that this movie is so hurtful to many, it's like you want this wonderful universe to fit your ideals and world view only, anyone else is not part of the club.
Why defend an otherwise successful director so vehemently, bloody defending him like he paid for your tuition.

fys2.gif

astro

Oct 25, 2017
you are doing a mistake believing that the last jedi is disliked because women or minorities.

those toxic antiwomen groups existed before (the force awakens with marysue, rogue one with snowflake one etc)

having bad storylines with women gave them more of a voice as general population disliked/divisive with the movie as well.
imo this is one of the biggest last jedi failings.
This idea that the general population disliked TLJ as some kind of equal split is nuts.
Amazon UK reviews
Amazon US reviews
Amazon Prime reviews (extended)
Amazon Prim reviews (theatrical)

IMDB

Metacritic and RT have been review bombed to hell (RT even stated it was obvious trolling), and there's even some breakdowns regarding this such as this article.

That article also contains the following data:

comScore surveys almost a thousand audience members in 20 markets immediately after they view the film, including The Last Jedi. So, while Rotten Tomatoes and Metacritic showed audience scores in the 50s or lower, comScore showed a score almost at 90 which was in line with both The Force Awakens and Rogue One. comScore was kind enough to allow me to provide you with some of their exit polling data on these three films:

iNJNp5.png

It also contains a lot of other useful info.

The film received critical acclaim and has decent user scores where it hasn't been bombed.

Lebron

Oct 30, 2017
So we got a JJ movie as expected. But I understand, it's hard to follow after Johnson put his foot in it.

Looking forward to Rey bodying Kylo one last time. Bring on Friday

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
"Low key horny, fan services "... so it's got rey in a metal bikini or some giant anime titties? Not exactly What I expected to be honest.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
No but really it's the people who like TLJ that are the toxic ones we swear!

Maybe they'd stop calling them kids movies if you stopped acting like children.

These movies are very much aimed at a broad audience which includes children. I don't take offense to people calling them children's films. I mean selling toys is a major part of all of them. I do think it is very silly to think that TLJ was a grown up film lol. It's the same as all the others in content, cheesy jokes and cute little creatures. I think it's a narrative mess and had a bad plot but I think that with the prequels too. I think TLJ is the 3rd worst SW film and only PM and Clone Wars are lesser products.

KrAzEd

Oct 27, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
These reaction threads and even review threads for Star Wars will never be reliable for me personally. As someone who enjoyed the prequels as a kid and still do to this day, I know that reviews tend to have an agenda. I didn't hate TLJ but it was one of my least favorites, yet on rotten tomatoes it sits at a 91%.

LBsquared

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 22, 2019
The Rian hate in here... lmao, stay salty. He dropped Knives Out and it was one of the best movies of the year.

Can't wait to see TROS.
Yeah, Knives Out is great. People should see it. Doesn't change the fact that a lot of people thought TLJ was utter garbage. I've never seen saltier people than those who feel like they need to defend the honor of a movie/director. It's pathetic.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
is it agains the law to dislike the last jedi? or only bad persons dislike it according to your "estimate"?

It's more like if your number one takeaway from this movie is "TLJ fans are gonna be mad and that's good", you have a problem. No one should be WISHING for other people to be unhappy. The best case scenario here would've been a movie that made both groups of people happy.

Tomasoares

Oct 28, 2017
I'm between the few that loved how some things were answered in TLJ. I really, really hope that Rey's still a nobody.

Non-stop action was a big worry of mine with JJ returning. It's just his style. And one of the primary reasons why I prefer Johnson as a director and TLJ as a movie. Scenes breathe and the movie isn't constantly racing from one problem or action scene to another.

Yep, it's 100% JJ Abrams style