• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Canklestank

Oct 26, 2017
It's like they don't understand how jokes work.

I did smile at the Assange Cast Away joke, not that it was terrible original. Probably stole it from somewhere.

Wolfgunblood

Dec 1, 2017
The Land
Not frightening at all, really. Humor is built out of introspection, empathy, and logic. It's a deliberately destructive form of it, in the sense of turning reality into absurdity, but it takes those qualities to recognize it in the first place. And if you can do those, then you wouldn't be conservative in the first place.

That's logical, but logic is irrelevant to a cult. In my theoretical, they would cast aside pretense, step outside of themselves a bit, acknowledging through comedy that their ideology is at odds with the people and reality while still promoting that ideology. It sounds ridiculous, but imagine how sinister it would be if Bannon as the grim reaper was a joke in their conservative SNL or whatever they are trying to do, and it was funny, but they still agree with Bannon.

19thCenturyFox

Prophet of Regret
Oct 29, 2017
The thing is: SNL makes fun of everyone. They also make fun of Hillary, Bernie, Mueller and probably AOC sooner or later. That's what all the right leaning comedy shows lack, they cannot make fun of themselves properly.

Oct 27, 2017
Conservative "humor" doesn't go over well because it continually punches down. Actual funny humor intends to punch up at the powers that be.

chubigans

Vertigo Gaming Inc.
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I like how at 6:38 of that eight minute clip the laugh track is clipped accidentally. Oops.

Droidian

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Dec 28, 2017
More like the Wrong wing amirite?
Managed to make it 4 minutes in. They made an attempt, not their thing.

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
Seems to be about on par with SNL's news segment.

giphy.gif

GeminiX7

Feb 6, 2019
Comedy only really works when you are punching up, being self-depreciating, or using funny stories to relate to people who the audience may feel they otherwise have nothing in common with(jokes about dating, interacting with people of other races, interacting with your children, going to foreign countries).

Modern "conservatism" is the exact antithesis of that sort of thinking. And what "comedy" they once had (i.e. punching down and complaining about people complaining about them) has literally become their talking points, so there's nothing left to turn into comedy. Add to the fact that "comedy" is the excuse used to excuse racist/sexist/homophobic talking points, it makes the idea of "conservative comedy" even more meaningless. There's no point in being a conservative comedian when literally every conservative apparently is a professional comedian when their back is against the wall.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
Humor

You need a sense of humor in order to do comedy.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
The thing is: SNL makes fun of everyone. They also make fun of Hillary, Bernie, Mueller and probably AOC sooner or later. That's what all the right leaning comedy shows lack, they cannot make fun of themselves properly.

They certainly try. But it can't be ignored that the right is a better target because they are constantly doing more stupid and hurtful shit than the left.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
So all this time Fox News was making right wing comedy?
Because that 'thing' in the OP is indistinguishable from a random Fox News segment.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Comedy only really works when you are punching up, being self-depreciating, or using funny stories to relate to people who the audience may feel they otherwise have nothing in common with(jokes about dating, interacting with people of other races, interacting with your children, going to foreign countries).

Modern "conservatism" is the exact antithesis of that sort of thinking. And what "comedy" they once had (i.e. punching down and complaining about people complaining about them) has literally become their talking points, so there's nothing left to turn into comedy. Add to the fact that "comedy" is the excuse used to excuse racist/sexist/homophobic talking points, it makes the idea of "conservative comedy" even more meaningless. There's no point in being a conservative comedian when literally every conservative apparently is a professional comedian when their back is against the wall.
This makes me think of all the lowbrow comedy films that permeated the late '70s and '80s. Sexism was in full gear, no racist stereotype was left unused, gross-out humour and casual nudity were to be expected. Everything was Family Guy.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
Its pure cringe.
Its fucking beyond cringe.
The ingredients to be funny are just not there.

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
Does Ron White count as good conservative comedy? I remember him being the only tolerable part of the Blue Collar Comedy Tour back when I worked at Blockbuster as a teenager. But I haven't kept up with him.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
Does Ron White count as good conservative comedy? I remember him being the only tolerable part of the Blue Collar Comedy Tour back when I worked at Blockbuster as a teenager. But I haven't kept up with him.
He helped produce a GLAAD Media Award winning documentary. He's more libertarian than conservative, I think.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Only people who enjoy punching down will enjoy this.

So there's a huge audience for it, unfortunately.

Still, has any show like this ever gained real traction? We had enough to vote Trump in, but it always seems shows like these don't get huge numbers. Or am I wrong?

And if not, why is that? The people who would enjoy hearing this clearly exist en mass...

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Only people who enjoy punching down will enjoy this.

So there's a huge audience for it, unfortunately.

Still, has any show like this ever gained real traction?

As far as I know, previous attempts have been ignoble failures.

As for why, I don't think the folks who'd truly enjoy this stuff are wanting someone to laugh with so much as someone to scream at.

astro

Oct 25, 2017

As for why, I don't think the folks who'd truly enjoy this stuff are wanting someone to laugh with so much as someone to scream at.
I also think it could be that many of the people who stand with Trump and vote that way etc... when confronted by realities, know in their hearts why they're wrong. So comedy like this actively brings out that feeling in them, and they don't enjoy it.

It's part of some inherent delusion where people like to knee-jerk own the libs, but when pressed know they're in the wrong.

Maybe.

Pooh

Oct 25, 2017
The Hundred Acre Wood

The actual issue at play here is conservatives hate knowing that they're "uncool" and that popular culture icons basically dunk on them constantly.

The reason these shows fail, beyond punching down, is that they don't change the basic fact that popular celebrities and social status icons find them to be toxic.

What they SEE is a show like SNL and a bunch of popular celebrities and bands appearing on it and everyone dunking on them, so they think only on the surface level; "Why don't WE have a SNL?!"

It fails to address the actual underlying question, which is "WHY are we so uncool?"

That's why these attempts at "conservative comedy shows" always crash and burn.

_ifigured

Oct 29, 2017
Wit is a strong ingredient in humor, and conservative people just don't fucking have it. Too closely related to intelligence, I guess.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wit is a strong ingredient in humor, and conservative people just don't fucking have it. Too closely related to intelligence, I guess.
The hell are you talking about? There are plenty of very intelligent conservatives out there. You think Murdoch got to be as rich and powerful because he wasn't intelligent? Get the fuck out of here. Whether or not they're people with morals or just plain assholes is another thing entirely.

The reason conservative comedy does not work is not because there are no smart people, it's because comedy doesn't work when you punch down. You've gotta punch upwards and conservatives can't do that. Also liberal comedians make fun of everyone including themselves. Conservative comedy doesn't like to do that. This is why it fails.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Its pure cringe.
Its fucking beyond cringe.
The ingredients to be funny are just not there.

This pases for comedy for some? And those jokes were innocent jokes, not even conservative humor, but not even those could be made funny.

And why is an ex governor, ex presidential candidate, republican politician hosting a talk show? What's this, America? I assume this is a web show because no tv channel would ever carry this.

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't seen much of OAN, but what I have seen makes Fox News look like a beacon of journalistic integrity.

Oct 30, 2017
I think some conservative comedy could do okay ranting about government over reach.

But when it starts devolving into, "The government is telling us men can go pee in women's bathrooms!" it just turns to straight garbage.
The problem about conservative's concerns about government over reach is that it's almost entirely focused on impeding civil rights and economic injustice. None of that stuff is funny.

AlteredBeast

Don't Watch the Tape!
Oct 27, 2017
Holy shit, I finally watched that. It was painful. Tell me that laughter was a laugh track, because he wouldn't be saying anything and then there would be uproarious laughter...

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Political leanings aside this is objectively terrible.

You don't make good comedy by starting off being offended by someone else's comedy.

Alcoremortis

Oct 25, 2017
Man, that climate change 'joke'. I'm not even sure I can classify that one as a joke. I was waiting for something about cow farts or linking climate change to a bunch of silly things... but he just went "no ur wrong" and that was it.

Fox News is accidentally funnier than this.

dantevsninjas

Oct 27, 2017
They have tried this many times before, and they have failed every time. Right-wing assholes just aren't funny, period.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Man, that climate change 'joke'. I'm not even sure I can classify that one as a joke. I was waiting for something about cow farts or linking climate change to a bunch of silly things... but he just went "no ur wrong" and that was it.

Fox News is accidentally funnier than this.

yeah i was actually expecting something and then he just call AOC and idiot and thats it.

and like come on it is a really easy thing to make fun of, because i also dont think climate change is a big factor on the migrations.