• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Resident-Evil-Wallpapers-1.jpg

Current Ages of Mainline Characters in 2020*
  • Natalia Korda/Burton (2001) - 19
  • Zoe Baker (1994) - 26
  • Jake Muller (1992) - 28
  • Moira Burton (1991) - 29
  • Helena Harper (1989) - 31
  • Sheva Alomar (1986) - 34
  • Sherry Birkin (1986) - 34
  • Mia Winters (1985) - 35
  • Ethan Winters (1984) - 36
  • Ashley Graham (1984) - 36
  • Rebecca Chambers (1980) - 40
  • Claire Redfield (1979) - 41
  • Carlos Olivera (1977) - 43
  • Leon S. Kennedy (1977) - 43
  • Jill Valentinte (1974) - 46
  • Ada Wong (1974) - 46
  • Josh Stone (1974) - 46
  • Chris Redfield (1973) - 47
  • Billy Cohen (1972) - 48
  • Joe Baker (Unknown but older than Jack) - 59+
  • Barry Burton (1960) - 60
*Revelations 1 cast skipped

First off I want to say there's nothing wrong with older characters in games. It's actually something I welcome and would love to see more of. I more wanted to bring up the point that RE characters age in real-time and thus far outside of spinoffs/Remakes, mainline RE titles take place the year they release (give or take). Thus if RE9 isn't out until say 2025, every character here has just aged 5 years.

As I said before having older characters isn't an issue, but I think it's odd that with the unique take on character aging compared to other franchises. There hasn't been as much done in laying seeds to new characters to take over for others. There has definitely been a lot of RE characters in what's about to be 25 years of the franchise. But a lot of new character potential seems to be brought up and then dropped a game later (with some random returns happening here and there).

So depending on how things go in the next few years. It seems the series is will either have to push toward new characters or reboot in some form (Which I don't personally see happening). As the only other option is to start ditching the real-world aging on these stories (Which could happen, just it hasn't yet despite multiple oppurtunities to do so).

My personal hope is the series starts to go back to forgotten characters like Sheva, Jake, and Moira. Allowing them to grow more with the older cast while also building up ideas for new characters to flourish as the series goes on. Rather than introducing and then killing/forgetting about them when the next game comes around.

I know a few people will say "Who cares about Characters/Story in RE?" but i'd argue that element is a large reason why the series has managed to stay around so long regardless of what Genre these games are. As there's always some sort of connection for players to have to the series outside just "They're horror games" which I feel played a large part in so many horror franchises falling off while RE stayed relevant (along with the genre changes as well).

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
It should pass the torch to the women, primarily Jill and Claire.

Screw Chris and post-RE4 Leon.

Last edited:

@TheFriendlyBro

IGN - Video Producer and Editor
Verified
Aug 1, 2019
Negative.

Incorporate time travel and have Chris train to RE5 standards before RE1 begins.

Buff Chris timeline is the one.

Midgarian

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 16, 2020
Midgar
Probably just compromise and reboot the universe while using the same characters.

If MGS comes back that's what I want.

Jhey Cyphre

Oct 25, 2017
I often feel like a lot of long running series should do this. But they are often to chicken to make it stick.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The new Umbrella Corp zoomer virus that they are all going to catch will de-age them.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Uhhh....am I the only one who notices that...Claire looks a bit different on that cover in the OP?

Edit: Apparently Mercenaries artwork...looks so out of place lol

@OT - No, its a video game series - keep the nostalgia train going.

CelticKennedy

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 18, 2019
They are polygons that will never age out. They can keep existing characters and introduce new ones forever. I like what they are doing so far with the 7 and 8.

Oct 27, 2017
Give me an old Lady Jill teaming up with Joe Baker and Drunk Leon please.

But to answer your question. I don't mind new characters. I would love to see a black main character for a change.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
I think Albert Wesker should return and gives them all a virus, it goes wrong and just makes them a bit younger.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
Lmao @ Billy Coen in the thread image.

Before they even think about retiring anyone, there's a lot I'd like to see done with certain characters.
  • In terms of canon, linear timeline, Jill hasn't been seen since RE5, which took place in 2009. That's 11 years since we've seen Jill. She needs at least one more big game as a central protagonist.
  • At least one more mainline game with Claire.
  • Jake and Sherry need to return, especially Jake. He's Albert Wesker's son, and yet the last we saw of him, he was fighting off B.O.W.s in the Middle East. I guess he's got a cohesive character arc already contained within RE6, at least.
  • Rebecca as a playable protagonist again, whether that be in a mainline title, or a Revelations game.
  • An update on what Carlos did after the events of RE3.
  • An update on Sheva, or even her playable again.
  • Joe Baker back one more time, just for shits, even if it doesn't make the most sense from a story or lore standpoint.
Basically, being a Resident Evil fan consists of wishing for character interactions and comebacks that will never happen.

Sawyer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
I enjoy the more mature cast. We don't have many series like it from Japan.
That said, give Sherry some protagonist roles.

Blackbird

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Yes.

I think characters like Mia, Ethan, Zoe and Moira are a pure reflection that the series desperately needs new blood to shake things up.

The classic characters basically reached an untouchable status, in which fans will outcry about anything new and interesting that could be done with them.

Hell, you can't even talk about Chris retiring in 8 and people start saying they will leave the series forever.

This ain't fun, you need more options in the franchise outside of the basic "hero saves the day, the end".

data west

Oct 25, 2017
Chris being in RE7 just about ruined my love for 7.

It felt like such a great, fresh restart

DERP REDFIELD HERE

Oct 27, 2017
I would really love a Sheva, Rebecca and Moria sub game. Give some love to the women in cast who have been leads/co-leads in one entry or less. It won't happen though because Chris and Leon are clearly the most favoured characters along with Jill thereafter. Not to mention I really thought there might be more headway for more diverse representation in the main cast after Sheva but then there just wasn't.

Last edited:

Pilgrimzero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
None of them got married or started a family. Leon is especially sad because all he did was chase Ada for 20+ years. Move on dude

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
You know, playing as a fresh Blue Umbrella recruit on their first mission yada yada it goes wrong, missing team members, yada yada B.O.W.s seems like no brainer premise. Hell, have that fresh recruit be part of a backup squad.

I thought they were going to do that with Piers until they killed him off like that.
The balls of them to have so adamantly give Chris a death flag before killing Piers. Only for the game to give Chris a new squad, who have probably all died by now.

Deleted member 5593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Don't care about the age, but less white characters. Have stories in countries of other nationalities without the white savior in the fray.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
I'd just like them to rotate away from Chris and Leon, the franchise has so many characters they introduced and we have not heard from. Sheva not returning is pure nonsense at this point.

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
Capcom should pull a ND and retire them or kill them off.

New gen should have a new cast for the next 20 yrs and maybe old cameos here and there.

fireseal

Oct 28, 2017
We can assume that was the main goal of RE6, but they've failed. RE7 and 8 are steps in this direction.

psynergyadept

Oct 26, 2017
Damn they all getting up there! ain't no time to become a family man/woman in the RE universe(except for Barry and oddly enough Wesker)

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
I'm baffled beyond belief that Capcom hasn't used Jake again.

He's the son of Albert fucking Wesker.

Oct 27, 2017
SoCal
I like the more mature cast, though I wouldn't say no to more games with Sherry and Jake as well. I hope RE8 gives Ethan more character and backstory; he's a definite anomaly among the rest of the wonderful cast.