• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
WetWaffle

WetWaffle

Oct 25, 2017
Miyazaki had us covered on the ass thrusting part atleast.

latest
I have over 300 hours in Bloodborne and can't remember the ass thrusting. Must have blocked it from memory for obvious reasons. The whole spanking women and making them crawl like babies still stand though.

Last edited:

MeepMerp

Alt Account
May 2, 2020
User warned: Posting without reading the OP
Legendary game. One of the best of all time.

JCG

Oct 25, 2017
It's part of a fairly blatant "wacky Japanese game show" sort of approach to humor, which can be rightfully considered sexist and regressive in various ways.

I won't deny that I still really enjoyed playing the game (even if I honestly never became great at it), but I also won't claim these aspects can't be criticized.

sinny

Oct 28, 2017
User warned: Posting without reading the OP
One of the best games of all time.

Mary Celeste

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah the elements in OP have aged terribly and make parts of the game hard to stomach. The game still plays fantastically and does still have a kooky charm despite these issues imo, and it remains one of the best beat em ups of all time, probably the best.

But again, yeah, lots of offensive shit in there that would never make it into a game today

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This game was always trash, in all aspects, from start to finish. Couldn't stand it back in the day.

Truly Gargantuan

Still doesn't have a tag :'(
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah.. culturally there are some things that don't really fly...

But it's still one of the best brawlers ever made. There's no other substitute out there for it's combat so I just overlook those other parts.

I'm not trying to make excuses for the game nor will I argue against anyone that finds it too distasteful to play.

May 15, 2019
The stereotyping stuff is unfortunate, because outside of it the game has a really fun irreverent sense of humor that I love. The spanking I can kind of look the other way for but Mr. Gold and Mr. Silver are embarrassing. Still the greatest action game ever made despite a few problematic issues.

Verhai

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I have over 300 hours in Bloodborne and can't remember the ass thrusting. Must have blocked it from memory for obvious reasons. The whole spanking women and making them crawl like babies still stand though.
There's ass thrusting and then there's this. Naked fucker just lands his ass on your whole body.

Fennec

Jan 22, 2019
User warned: dismissive drive-by, not reading the OP
One of the very best PS2 games. A classic ! Can't believe it's been 15 years since its release !

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
OP
OP
WetWaffle

WetWaffle

Oct 25, 2017
So this became another thread with bunch of drive-by posters dismissing concerns over terrible representation. I guess it's a staple at this point.
Kinda wanted to say something but didn't wanna get potentially dogpiled
"This game has bad representation"
"Game's still good though"
Ok, but that's not the point of the thread.
I was thinking of adding a poll but that'd probably just make me sad.

leder

Oct 25, 2017
Not defending it, but this game is a parody of sentai and 70s action movies and serials, of which rampant sexualization was their bread and butter. It's kind of like a Japanese Austin Powers. Weirdly it's just all window dressing, as Gene hardly reacts to it at all.

Oct 25, 2017
Those parts didn't age badly, they were bad back then too. And you don't need to imagine how it would fly today, it still flies fine, unfortunately - see One Piece and everything about Sanji and the okama island.

And there's absolutely nothing wrong with the camera, don't @ me

OP
OP
WetWaffle

WetWaffle

Oct 25, 2017
Not defending it, but this game is a parody of sentai and 70s action movies and serials, of which rampant sexualization was their bread and butter. It's kind of like a Japanese Austin Powers. Interestingly it's just all window dressing, as Gene hardly reacts to it at all.
I'd hardly call God Hand sentai, that's Viewtiful Joe. Don't watch many japanese 70s action movies so can't speak for that. Also Gene hardly reacting is just a limitation of the game. He kicks people into the atmosphere team rocket style and just moves on.

May 15, 2019
So this became another thread with bunch of drive-by posters dismissing concerns over terrible representation. I guess it's a staple at this point.
It's kind of odd to make a topic like this about a specific, not very popular game from 2006. Media in general was pretty shitty with sexism and homophobia at the time, and singling out a single 15 year old cult classic doesn't really do much compared to making topics about modern games like Persona 5 that still do these things.

Truly Gargantuan

Still doesn't have a tag :'(
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not defending it, but this game is a parody of sentai and 70s action movies and serials, of which rampant sexualization was their bread and butter. It's kind of like a Japanese Austin Powers. Weirdly it's just all window dressing, as Gene hardly reacts to it at all.
It seems to be more of a parody of Fist of the North Star with the post apocalypse desert setting and martial arts, right down to the character designs. But still your point stands as FOTNS doesn't have the best feminine representation afaik.

leder

Oct 25, 2017
I'd hardly call God Hand sentai, that's Viewtiful Joe. Don't watch many japanese 70s action movies so can't speak for that. Also Gene hardly reacting is just a limitation of the game. He kicks people into the atmosphere team rocket style and just moves on.
There's an entire sentai squad that you fight throughout the game that all look like viewtiful joe. Not saying this at all to diminish your valid observations, but how much of the game did you play?

By he doesn't react to it, I mean it's just all gags. It's not built into his characterization or the plot. Which is to say that the game could/should have just completely dropped it.
It seems to be more of a parody of Fist of the North Star with the post apocalypse desert setting and martial arts, right down to the character designs. But still your point stands as FOTNS doesn't have the best feminine representation afaik.
Yeah good call out, it's basically a parody of a ton of Japanese media geared towards boys/young men from the creators' childhoods. Definitely a lot of HnoK

Last edited:
OP
OP
WetWaffle

WetWaffle

Oct 25, 2017
There's an entire sentai squad that you fight throughout the game that all look like viewtiful joe. Not saying this at all to diminish your valid observations, but how much of the game did you play?
You said God Hand is inspired by Sentai. Gene is not sentai, doesn't feel sentai, doesn't look like sentai. I said that based on the protagonist design and the (western?) like feel of the game. And I played about 3 hours worth on pcsx2 before I had to turn it off

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's kind of odd to make a topic like this about a specific, not very popular game from 2006. Media in general was pretty shitty with sexism and homophobia at the time, and singling out a single 15 year old cult classic doesn't really do much compared to making topics about modern games like Persona 5 that still do these things.
Fam you can add the validity of discussing the age of game/movie/whatever vs our current perception of representation to this thread if you want be my guest.

But what is tiring to see and it's a constant in threads like this is posters like those I quoted who go into topics trying to have a conversation about representation in media just to shit on it by basically going ''I like it shut up''. We been having a problem with this specially on gaming side and it's frankly disgusting.

Last edited:
OP
OP
WetWaffle

WetWaffle

Oct 25, 2017
I really only made the thread cause I recently played it again on pcsx2, also God Hand seemed pretty popular back in the day, ign review notwithstanding. Just makes me hope Capcom never sink to these depths again

halcyjon

Mar 22, 2018
Ireland
If you think God Hand is a bad game it's because you don't understand enough about the game's systems to fully comprehend why it's absolutely genius. Its humor can be cringy but it's so silly I don't know how anyone could take it seriously.

Fhtagn

Oct 25, 2017
Tbh this stuff was really abrasive at the time, too, but a lot of us kept playing anyway because the core mechanics were so unique and honed.

same with PN03 where it felt real horny in an off-putting way but, again, nothing else played like a 3-d shmup, so I beat it anyway and wish other games like it existed, with less butt wiggle.

Verhai

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
yea man, who cares about problematic representation? Fuck up
Who in their right mind looks to God Hand for proper representation. Just be greatful looking back at this game knowing that virtually all games nowadays will not pull this shit and that's a good thing right?

Oct 27, 2017
If you think God Hand is a bad game it's because you don't understand enough about the game's systems to fully comprehend why it's absolutely genius. Its humor can be cringy but it's so silly I don't know how anyone could take it seriously.
A game is a sum of it's parts. It can have one incredible aspect (combat), but lack a bunch of other things, and people will see the entire package as bad.

sinny

Oct 28, 2017

I dont see quoted the drive by post saying the game is bad.

But yes, Godhand as the mayority of japanese games from that era have a lot of problematic aspects.
Also you shouldnt take anything this game does seriously apart from the gameplay, wich is still unmatched.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Is this problematic as well?

The game is just over the top funny and goofy. It's also the best Beat'em Up ever made.

Dec 23, 2017
I love God Hand, but I suck at the game.

I used to watch a friend play it all the time.

EDIT: I see the thread title has changed to something else. I like God Hand, but the concerns are valid and understandable.

Last edited:

nded

Nov 14, 2017
There's a lot to like in terms of mechanics and game design, but a quite a bit of the humor reeks of shitty regressive Japanese variety show pap.

I do enjoy the combination of HnK wasteland punk vibe and surf music though.

Good4Squat

Nov 2, 2017
I remember these things, well at least the two gay guys, getting a lot of critique at the time. It seems to be a character type that appears in certain japanese media for some reason, I don't really find it amusing as I'm sure most western audiences won't. They've probably become more aware of the differences in attitudes towards this stuff between regions at this point that they hopefully would cut it from a western release was it to be made now. But then again, look at something like persona 5.

SlasherMcGirk

Oct 27, 2017
Cincinnati
User Banned (2 weeks): dismissing concerns about representation; sexism
I love God Hand a near perfect game. It's not serious and everything is over the top, I would find it hard to be offended by anything it does. I wouldn't change a thing, except maybe Gold and Silver that is pushing it a little far. But hell no at removing spanking. I love doing it and so fun. I wouldnt mind if it happened on the men too. Gene is a equal opportunity ass kicker!

MYeager

Oct 30, 2017
And then it became top 100 games from IGN LOL

I and my friend has no clue about who made this game at all but still had a maximum fun tho.

The sexual gags are tone deaf and embarassing of course, that's ignorance Asian culture pre 20xx.

To be fair there's also several Western games around the same timeframe whose gags and attempts at over the top or edgy humor also didn't age well also. There are cultural differences to consider absolutely but video game cringe humor ain't unique to any particular location.

But yeah I came into this ready to defend God Hand but the op is right. It's got some gags that didn't age well. Still a great game but can't argue against that.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
Fam you can add the validity of discussing the age of game/movie/whatever vs our current perception of representation to this thread if you want be my guest.

But what is tiring to see and it's a constant in threads like this is posters like those I quoted who go into topics trying to have a conversation about representation in media just to shit on it by basically going ''I like it shut up''. We been having a problem with this specially on gaming side and it's frankly disgusting.

People can like something despite problematic content though. As long as they recognize that those elements can be problematic.

waugh

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Feb 21, 2020
The gay stereotype boss is really bad, frankly unacceptable even back then. The female enemy spanking is just dumb fetish stuff. Can't really call it regressive.

Jonathan Lanza

"I've made a Gigantic mistake"
Feb 8, 2019
Why are people responding to the OP's post with "One of the best"? And I say that as someone with over 100 hours in God Hand, this isn't really the place for any of that.

Oct 25, 2017
Also, worth pointing out something the OP missed:
The Olivia pictures, which are some dumb voyeuristic nonsense the game doesn't need at all.