• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

WetWaffle

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure what Mikami was thinking with this. Apparently you can do this to every single female enemy.
FlimsyRichGreatargus-size_restricted.gif

From what I've seen, you can't do regular pummels like against male enemies
tenor.gif

Not to mention they start crawling on the ground like literal babies for multiple seconds when they get knocked down while male enemies just..get back up.

Not even gonna get into these guys...

Just..why Mikami?

Information
Mod edit: thread title edited at 5:16 PM EDT for clarity, as the previous title was vague

Last edited by a moderator:

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
God Hand was always designed to be abrasive. I'm pretty sure it would have ended up the same if it was made today. It already had pastiche inspiration from a previous era when it came out.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Bad game from top to bottom, i got it from gamefly. The second time i fell through the geometry i sent that shit back, same day

Oct 25, 2017
God Hand was always designed to be abrasive. I'm pretty sure it would have ended up the same if it was made today. It already had pastiche inspiration from a previous era when it came out.
I don't think it was meant to abrasive specifically against modern progressive sensibilies. I doubt it would be exactly the same today.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017

I dunno, would it? While I understand the spirit of it, a lot of these can easily be addressed without fundamentally changing the games identity (like allowing us to spank both men and women)

Ovvv

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 11, 2019
User warned: not reading OP
Game is real fucking great. Classic.

Dever

Dec 25, 2019
You shut your stupid mou-

Ohh, that's what this thread is about... Umm, yeah, not really any arguments from me lol. In terms of gender equality though, I'm pretty sure you can do the Ball Buster move only on male enemies.

OP
OP
WetWaffle

WetWaffle

Oct 25, 2017
I disagree, the spanking would certainly elicit some questions if it was developed today. Either that or they'd be outright shamed into removing it(as they should really). Especially since it's the only pummel usable against female enemies.

OP
OP
WetWaffle

WetWaffle

Oct 25, 2017
You shut your stupid mou-

Ohh, that's what this thread is about... Umm, yeah, not really any arguments from me lol. In terms of gender equality though, I'm pretty sure you can do the Ball Buster move only on male enemies.
You can do it on female enemies, it just does no damage which is dumb really, they still got a crotch.

Palazzo

Oct 25, 2017
Was it always a bad game with cool music and style? Always has been.

This might be the first time I've seen God Hand referred to as a style-over-substance game lol. It's the opposite, really; the game's perfunctory environments and visuals belie some of the strongest combat in 3D action games. The amount of games that can stand with or above God Hand is vanishingly small.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Not sure what Mikami was thinking with this. Apparently you can do this to every single female enemy.
FlimsyRichGreatargus-size_restricted.gif

From what I've seen, you can't do regular pummels like against male enemies
tenor.gif

Not to mention they start crawling on the ground like literal babies for multiple seconds when they get knocked down while male enemies just..get back up.

Not even gonna get into these guys...

Just..why Mikami?

I knew this was going to be about Gold and Silver. I forgot about all the other stuff. It's a product of it's time though and Japan in particular was horribly regressive about portraying women (and in many ways still is).

This might be the first time I've seen God Hand referred to as a style-over-substance game lol. It's the opposite, really; the game's perfunctory environments and visuals belie some of the strongest combat in 3D action games. The amount of games that can stand with or above God Hand is vanishingly small.

This I'll give you. The game was not a looker by any means, but that gameplay was next level. You put the work into learning how to play that and you'd blow minds by people watching you roll through it. It has substance to spare, with a coat of embarrassing Mikami nonsense over it.

KyouG

Oct 26, 2017
Well, I'm one of em since birth.

Feel great now because we nailed covid19 better than anyone.

Still haven't answered my question. Tell us more about the "ignorance of Asian culture pre 20xx"--what exactly do you mean? And what exactly is included in your definition of "Asian"?

Kanann

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Still haven't answered my question. Tell us more about the "ignorance of Asian culture pre 20xx"--what exactly do you mean? And what exactly is included in your definition of "Asian"?

Potraying and treat women.

You asked how I feel..........
Now I feel like you want to unnecessarily corner people with reason I don't actually know.
Being Asian and witness this topic as norm for all my life is really that complicate?

Bomi-Chan

Nov 8, 2017
Qft.
This game would not exist/be developed in this day and age.

Chivalry

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Nov 22, 2018
Eh, idk. Loved it when it came out, but tried playing it a few years ago and just couldn't stand it. The combat is just too clunky, repetitive, and boring. It really is a bad game, but it's got style in buckets and I always remember it fondly for its wackiness, not the combat.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
I dunno, would it? While I understand the spirit of it, a lot of these can easily be addressed without fundamentally changing the games identity (like allowing us to spank both men and women)
But it's not just that, right? The entire game is some sort of gigantic western parody, sexism included. There is a lot more that would need to be changed to make it controversy-free. The story itself would ruffle feathers.

I disagree, the spanking would certainly elicit some questions if it was developed today. Either that or they'd be outright shamed into removing it(as they should really). Especially since it's the only pummel usable against female enemies.
They weren't shamed into removing the countless sexy costumes that SF5 female characters are receiving while there is next to nothing for male characters. I don't believe Capcom would care today, especially if Mikami and Inaba was still involved in 2020. Didn't stop Inaba and Kamiya for Bayonetta, really.

All I'm saying is that there wasn't a moment where God Hand aged well because it was always going for a certain style, but they weren't trying to stick it to progressive values or anything. They were just constantly playing with rules just like Jackass was doing on TV.

It's not like anyone is talking about its story or anything today anyway. God Hand is remembered for its great gameplay, music, and bosses. They could have put it in any other setting and style and it would have been great if they kept the core gameplay. I agree on that.

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
I think that last image is meant to be a reference to the Pillar men in Jojo.

Type VII

Oct 31, 2017
I remember importing it and absolutely loving it. Rock hard though. But yeah, some of the content definitely hasn't aged well.

KiNolin

Oct 28, 2017
Eh, idk. Loved it when it came out, but tried playing it a few years ago and just couldn't stand it. The combat is just too clunky, repetitive, and boring. It really is a bad game, but it's got style in buckets and I always remember it fondly for its wackiness, not the combat.

Repetitive? This game constantly keeps you on your toes with new enemy patterns and difficulty curve through its 10+ hour campaign - which is pretty impressive -, you can never just mash through. Everything you say about the game the complete opposite.

Deleted member 2620

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
the game's stupid, regressive humor was always bad. i'm sure the mechanics and most of the combat is fine in 2020.

Jamesac68

Oct 27, 2017
God Hand was called out for its troublesome issues at the time. We put up with it because the underlying gameplay is pure excellence, but I'd be more than happy to see all of its cringey elements axed if somehow a remaster was ever made.

Oct 27, 2017
The gameplay is still as good as it ever was. Really fun game.

With that said, I agree about the game being problematic in the way it attempts "humor". It reminds me a lot of Ace Ventura where it is a really good movie but when you watch it again you see that it is really bad at times.

OP
OP
WetWaffle

WetWaffle

Oct 25, 2017
But it's not just that, right? The entire game is some sort of gigantic western parody, sexism included. There is a lot more that would need to be changed to make it controversy-free. The story itself would ruffle feathers.

They weren't shamed into removing the countless sexy costumes that SF5 female characters are receiving while there is next to nothing for male characters. I don't believe Capcom would care today, especially if Mikami and Inaba was still involved in 2020. Didn't stop Inaba and Kamiya for Bayonetta, really.

All I'm saying is that there wasn't a moment where God Hand aged well because it was always going for a certain style, but they weren't trying to stick it to progressive values or anything. They were just constantly playing with rules just like Jackass was doing on TV.

It's not like anyone is talking about its story or anything today anyway. God Hand is remembered for its great gameplay, music, and bosses. They could have put it in any other setting and style and it would have been great if they kept the core gameplay. I agree on that.
To be fair sexy costumes at this point are a staple of fighting games at this point. If DOA can have it so can Street Fighter, but neither of them have ever had spanking like what God Hand has. And Kamiya not caring about what others think is just Kamiya. He gave Bayonetta glasses out of spite iirc. I'd argue what they were doing, what you called playing with rules isn't much different than what hundreds other games were doing at the time, personally it just seems juvenile and I kinda wanna see what Mikami would say today if he was asked about it. Agreed with the rest.

GurrenSwagann

Sep 20, 2018
I'm still trying to get my hands on a copy because the game looks really fun, always gets brought up in conversations with friends when discussing our favorite action games.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
I always found this game to be pretty abrasive (not quite to a Madworld degree though not much better TBH) but watching Giant Bomb's playthrough recently was really like... woof, this fucking game.

Verhai

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
User Warned: Dismissive drive-by; not reading the OP
God Hand is a great game. Probably the worst examples I've ever seen of a game supposedly aging badly.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I remember being quite shocked by the difficulty. Still powered through it but the dynamic difficulty was pretty much always at it's lowest

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
I always found this game to be pretty abrasive (not quite to a Madworld degree though not much better TBH) but watching Giant Bomb's playthrough recently was really like... woof, this fucking game.

I always thought it was odd that Gene never showed up in any other Capcom fighter even as a Cameo- but looking back at all the cringeworthy nonsense that's packed into his game I can kinda "get" why Capcom would rather forget he exists.

Oct 27, 2017
Bad and tone deaf game with the DNA to be something great (combat system, minus the camera controls. Everything else can go in the trash)

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can't believe Capcom gave Mikami three dollars to make this