• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Najaf

Oct 26, 2017
Houston, TX
The idea that both removed what Phil Spencer essentially confirmed is a ~$1 to $2 item in a premium entertainment box is absurd. I understand maybe cutting from the series S to shave costs, but the Series X? Really?

My entire setup is thrown into disarray, and looking elsewhere on the web, I'm far from alone. I don't doubt Phil when he said that the number of people using it is relatively small percentage wise, but it seems that among enthusiasts and would-be early adopters, it was regularly used.

I have historically run optical to my PC sound card and use a Rog Swift in 1440p for both PC (display port) and xbox (hdmi 1.4). There is no optical out available on the monitor. My sound set up is ideal as I can easily have discord, youtube, music or whatnot on a second monitor while I'm on the xbox and I make routine use of the xbox app for chatting in game which allows me to use a quality audio-technica mic. By removing the optical out, I have to either have a dedicated headset for my xbox (my regular set is Sennheiser HD 650 so just doubling up is not practical), constantly swap inputs from PC to the controller (wear and tear on connections and aggravating) and also would force me to get a separate mic, get an HDMI audio extractor which limits throughput (making consistent 60hz+ at 1440p not possible) which reviews say are far from ideal, or run a full blown receiver which is overkill.

With the popularity of Astro mixamps and other optical focused setups, I'm really surprised by this move. It just sucks as there is no ideal solution, at least for me.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Optical is inherently lossy and I'm glad to see it go. To not augment it with robust USB support and/or a second HDMI out is a mistake though, IMO.

darkside

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah it really sucks. I have an Arctis Wireless Pro headset that was great before and it just sounds like crap now no matter what I try to adjust on the PS5. The audio experience overall is just way worse than what it was on the PS4 and thats been the biggest bummer for me on the PS5 because they were really trying to talk about the value of audio before the console came out.

Betelgeuse

Nov 2, 2017
It sucks, both for PS5 and XSX. But I give Microsoft extra shit - at least Sony supports UAC1-type USB DACs, so I can use mine to get great quality, 3D Tempest Audio. Microsft - the company that's been creating operating systems and drivers for over three decades - does not. So I guess I'm supposed to buy a receiver, or figure out a way to convert an HDMI audio signal into an input that my DAC can handle? But this then opens a can of worms - I wouldn't be able to use this solution for PS5, because it doesn't carry 3D Tempest audio over HDMI (at least not yet; you'd think this will come in a future update).

To make matters worse, the new controller that came with my XSX puts out audio that's constantly marred by static and hissing. I've had to go back to using a One S controller. MS has really dropped the ball on the audio situation.

Oi fucking vey.

diablogg

Oct 31, 2017
I just use the optical out on my TV, I'm not sure Microsoft could know how many people are using it like that opposed to directly in the system. Either way it sucks.

Coolduderedux

Oct 25, 2017
You answered your question in the article you mentioned. Phil's reasoning is to save hundreds of millions of dollars. Money that could potentially be used for services and acquisitions. I was bummed out too when I heard this news and had to buy a new headset as a result.

Your situation seems unique compared to the average consumer and I think it ports omission was a necessary money-saving action Microsoft felt they should make.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, it's sucked for me. I appreciate that there are other options but, personally, the other options have resulted in 'buy a new home cinema system'.

What I've actually done is go from 5.1 surround last gen to using my TV speakers this gen. it's been a huge step down.

Oct 27, 2017
Optical is inherently lossy and I'm glad to see it go. To not augment it with robust USB support and/or a second HDMI out is a mistake though, IMO.

A second HDMI port would be so helpful in my setup. I can't run through the receiver since it isn't HDMI 2.1, and ARC is laggy as crap if I try to pass anything other than stereo over it.

Siinova

Oct 29, 2017
Definitely the most annoying thing about the new consoles so far. I've had to try so many work arounds to try to get my sound system/headsets working and ultimately nothing is working that great :(.

degauss

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's dead/dying tech.

If they sell 100 million consoles that's 1/4 of a billion spent adding a port virtually no one uses.

It's also another component that can break and eat into repair costs for the manufacturer - optical ports are notoriously fragile and prone to issues.

Next generation margins are razer thin, and imagine that money could be bette spent elsewhere, like on making great games.

cooldawn

Oct 28, 2017
Yep...had to buy a new AV receiver just to be sure I could still play. No way could I have used TV speakers, not after years of wonderful surround sound.

Gutted.

EDIT
It's dead/dying tech.

If they sell 100 million consoles that's 1/4 of a billion spent adding a port virtually no one uses.

It's also another component that can break and eat into repair costs for the manufacturer - optical ports are notoriously fragile and prone to issues.

Next generation margins are razer thin, and imagine that money could be bette spent elsewhere, like on making great games.
It's also tech the majority of gamers have access to.

So far, for over a decade (since PS3), I've never had a fail either.

gdt

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, it's sucked for me. I appreciate that there are other options but, personally, the other options have resulted in 'buy a new home cinema system'.

What I've actually done is go from 5.1 surround last gen to using my TV speakers this gen. it's been a huge step down.
That would be unacceptable to me

fracas

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah it's pretty annoying. I got a new 5.1 sound bar system with my PS5 and it lags behind video unless I use stereo sound. I'm not dropping a few hundred on a receiver-speaker combo and I'm not sure what else I can do.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
The idea that both removed what Phil Spencer essentially confirmed is a ~$1 to $2 item in a premium entertainment box is absurd. I understand maybe cutting from the series S to shave costs, but the Series X? Really?

My entire setup is thrown into disarray, and looking elsewhere on the web, I'm far from alone. I don't doubt Phil when he said that the number of people using it is relatively small percentage wise, but it seems that among enthusiasts and would-be early adopters, it was regularly used.

I have historically run optical to my PC sound card and use a Rog Swift in 1440p for both PC (display port) and xbox (hdmi 1.4). There is no optical out available on the monitor. My sound set up is ideal as I can easily have discord, youtube, music or whatnot on a second monitor while I'm on the xbox and I make routine use of the xbox app for chatting in game which allows me to use a quality audio-technica mic. By removing the optical out, I have to either have a dedicated headset for my xbox (my regular set is Sennheiser HD 650 so just doubling up is not practical), constantly swap inputs from PC to the controller (wear and tear on connections and aggravating) and also would force me to get a separate mic, get an HDMI audio extractor which limits throughput (making consistent 60hz+ at 1440p not possible) which reviews say are far from ideal, or run a full blown receiver which is overkill.

With the popularity of Astro mixamps and other optical focused setups, I'm really surprised by this move. It just sucks as there is no ideal solution, at least for me.

It's because optical (aside from stereo) is lossy and limited in features.

Yes, there are edge cases where it's nice (just like there are edge cases where people prefer component over HDMI), but any way you slice it, optical is outdated.

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
I used optical on my PS4 pro to get rid of audio lag but now with the new TV I am using eARC instead of ARC and the lag is gone.
So what I thought would be a big issue turned out to be nothing (for me at least).

Still sucks to not have options

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
You answered your question in the article you mentioned. Phil's reasoning is to save hundreds of millions of dollars. Money that could potentially be used for services and acquisitions. I was bummed out too when I heard this news and had to buy a new headset as a result.

Your situation seems unique compared to the average consumer and I think it ports omission was a necessary money-saving action Microsoft felt they should make.

This

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
It's because optical (aside from stereo) is lossy and limited in features.

Yes, there are edge cases where it's nice (just like there are edge cases where people prefer component over HDMI), but any way you slice it, optical is outdated.

Optical isn't outdated at all when it comes to headphone set ups, I don't know why people keep saying this. Especially when a huge segment of gamers use headphones, probably more than the percentage that use proper HDMI speaker set ups.

Winstano

Editor-in-chief at nextgenbase.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I just use the optical out on my TV, I'm not sure Microsoft could know how many people are using it like that opposed to directly in the system. Either way it sucks.

I'm doing the same. I have a Turtle Beach TAC, which uses optical for the audio.

I know there were a lot of TVs that couldn't pass through full 5.1 for a while, but I think most from the past few years have gotten past that.

RedHotHero

Nov 24, 2017
Yeah, first thing I noticed when I went to use it. Bummed me out. I ended up using an 3.5mm->Speaker from the monitor itself, but that's not ideal.

I haven't looked at HDMI audio extractors- but I'd wonder if there is lag introduced.

beelulzebub

Oct 25, 2017
Sony cutting optical out of the PS5 wouldn't be an issue if you could enable 3D audio via HDMI, where I could pipe optical/coax into my DAC. Or supported DACs using UAC2, a standard that's been around since 2011.

Thankfully I can spend my way out of this problem (I bought a brand new DAC AMP that you can load UAC1 firmware onto) but this is a pretty poor showing for what amounts to negligible cost savings.

Perzeval

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Yeah, I don't like it. I use the optical out from my tv now but people here told me it introduces latency.

TacoSupreme

Jul 26, 2019
They're just trying to make back all of that money they spent on including composite video cables with all those Xbox 360 systems way back in the day :P

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I don't like it. I use the optical out from my tv now but people here told me it introduces latency.

It does for me on my TV. It's unusable for gaming. I was optical to home cinema system straight from the console before and it was perfect. Adding a TV and HDMI into the mix adds a ton of latency to the audio.

kosmickitten

Jul 2, 2019
I am in a similar boat OP. I ended up grabbing the astro hdmi audio extractor but it is only hdmi 2.0. Atm it works great, but I plan to get one of the first batch of hdmi 2.1 monitors coming so I will need to find a hdmi 2.1 audio extractor, and last I looked I couldn't find any.

I wish the console makers would make an official accessory to add optical. I'd gladly pay a premium since it would be a niche item, but to be sure I was getting a quality, compatible product.

Perzeval

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
It does for me on my TV. It's unusable for gaming. I was optical to home cinema system straight from the console before and it was perfect. Adding a TV and HDMI into the mix adds a ton of latency to the audio.
Thankfully I haven't noticed anything yet but I'd still prefer to have console straight to sound system optical. It's a shame they axed it.

dep9000

Banned
Mar 31, 2020
Yeah, it does suck. Right now I don't have my receiver hooked up to my TV, but my receiver is an older model and does not have HDMI passthrough so I have relied on optical audio for years. I guess it's time to upgrade whenever I decide to build out my media room

mute

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
It is pretty annoying atm because all the audio that comes out of my TV is too laggy and there aren't any good options for stripping out audio from the HDMI without also impacting the HDR, etc. Definitely a courageous decision.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
I thought the only differnece between optical and hdmi is that hdmi supports the fancy multi channel stuff? o.O

Optical can support:
* Uncompressed stereo PCM
* Dolby Digital 5.1
* DTS 5.1

Optical cannot support:
* Uncompressed 5.1
* Uncompressed 71
* Dolby Digital TrueHD
* Dolby Atmos
* DTS HD-MA
* DTS: X
...and so on.

Basically, optical limits you to compressed versions of surround audio that is on part with what you'll find on a DVD.

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
Yea it really blew, but forced me to upgrade my entire sound settup so that was a plus. I guess we gotta push forward somehow and when people are beholden to old tech, it only holds us back.

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Most tvs have it and hdmi arc. Do wish ms would have kept the second hdmi from one x though and made it an audio out.

As others have said if you want the best of the best audio though you're running through a reciever regardless.

I have an extremely old sony 5.1 reciever so I just run optical out of the tv and run hdmi audio out from my lg 4k player.

As long as my set up is still kicking I'm not getting a new reciever.

My b7 oled is gonna be the same deal. It's not getting upgraded until it shits the bed.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
UAC2 support on both consoles would solve a lot of issues.

Yea it really blew, but forced me to upgrade my entire sound settup so that was a plus. I guess we gotta push forward somehow and when people are beholden to old tech, it only holds us back.

That would be fine... if they were pushing technology forward. The series X has practically no USB audio support and the PS5 has poor USB audio support.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
I must be lucky because the optical out of my old ass plasma doesn't have any noticeable delay.

Optical can support:
* Dolby Digital 5.1
* DTS 5.1

Optical cannot support:
* Uncompressed 5.1
* Uncompressed 71
* Dolby Digital TrueHD
* Dolby Atmos
* DTS HD-MA
...and so on.

Basically, optical limits you to compressed versions of surround audio that is on part with what you'll find on a DVD.

All the stuff that's not supported is basically irrelevant for headphones.

MasteroFlich

Banned
Jun 15, 2020
Optical can support:
* Dolby Digital 5.1
* DTS 5.1

Optical cannot support:
* Uncompressed 5.1
* Uncompressed 71
* Dolby Digital TrueHD
* Dolby Atmos
* DTS HD-MA
...and so on.

Thats what I recalled. Do games even utilize that many channels? I felt the audio very lacking and poor implemented when it comes to surround sound even in titles as Red Dead 2.

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
Would an Audio Extractor be what people need for this problem. I don't know if these have HDMI 2.1 support though.

It'd be a hell of a lot cheaper than buying a new system

6324750ld.jpg

6324750cv11d.jpg

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017

Xbox One system telemetry. You select what your audio output is and they can see what % of users are using HDMI audio out vs optical audio out.

They would see what you've done as HDMI audio out.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017

SuzanoSho

Dec 25, 2017
I honestly only use optical for my soundbar, personally. It's the only time I can think of when it was the best choice as opposed to HDMI...

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Thats what I recalled. Do games even utilize that many channels? I felt the audio very lacking and poor implemented when it comes to surround sound even in titles as Red Dead 2.

RDR 2 has some of the best sound design around actually, though it only supports 5.1. Most games these days support one or 5.1, 7.1 or spatial audio. Whether it sounds good or not is another thing entirely.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Xbox One system telemetry. You select what your audio output is and they can see what % of users are using HDMI audio out vs optical audio out.

They would see what you've done as HDMI audio out.

Optical on your TV still passes through HDMI which is probably what shows up on telemetry.

playXray

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I hear you, but this is niche/obsolete tech now. Can't blame them for not supporting it and saving money instead.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Yes it sucks, my sound system is useless now for both consoles and I was glad to not having to put my consoles through any receivers, specially now where we know how that fucks up a lot with 2.1 and shit.

OP
OP
Najaf

Najaf

Oct 26, 2017
Houston, TX
While I hear a lot say that optical is obsolete tech, I find it somewhat humorous that as someone who enjoys decent audio and is not opposed to spending a bit, there is no reasonable best path forward. From what I'm reading, since I have a Series X, I can't (at least now) go grab a nice DAC amp. I'm not going to upgrade my monitor (and I know a lot of xbox/PS folks game on their computer monitors) and I'm not going to pass through a splitter at the cost of frames.

Does anyone here have a recommendation? I need my PC audio and Xbox audio to feed into the same system which I'll hook my headphones into. I want to hear both PC and Xbox audio at the same time. I'm running an Asus PG278QR monitor which only has line-out and results in interference even with shielded cables if run to my sound card.