• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

data

Oct 25, 2017
Please don't fall for online FUD.
What you just described doing.
Anyone care to explain these cryptic messages?

We already know that EGS attempted to track steam user data a while back and only responded to it after being called out on it:

www.pcgamer.com

Epic says it doesn't use Steam data without permission after Reddit accusations (Updated)

A thread on Reddit accused the Epic launcher of illicitly mining and sharing Steam data, but Epic says it's not the case.

I would like to avoid giving EpicGames more data than neccessary, really any company more data than necessary and the fact that they did it once doesn't inspire confidence. Who knows what else they're doing with our data nowadays that the story lost traction.

May 30, 2018
Apprantley the dlss support completely fucked up the rtx Shadows too(lots of artifacts)which is pretty shit. Main reason you'd want dlss for performance gains

Haven't seen any artifacts myself (beyond the fact that shadows are lower res with DLSS obviously). And they've changed the denoiser so this likely has nothing to do with DLSS.
i saw some weird blocky shadows even with everything on max this morning but then i stopped seeing them after changing some settings around. barely helpful but i can at least attest to some weirdness.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
i saw some weird blocky shadows even with everything on max this morning but then i stopped seeing them after changing some settings around. barely helpful but i can at least attest to some weirdness.
I get this weird glitch on the right side of the screen when I set DLSS to balanced, like the very edge of the screen is going super saiyan. Only has happened in a specific area and only on balanced.

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (2 Weeks): Antagonizing Fellow Member; History of the Same
What is there to explain? Of course someone working for EA, a corporation that is also buddy-buddy with Epic, will advocate in favor of telemetry, always online DRMs and against consumer rights.

Deleted member 9305

Oct 26, 2017
Cardinal sin to change a sold product and make it worst for existing customers.

They can do whatever they want with future releases, put your terms of service on the tin and people can decide BEFORE purchasing your shit.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
What established standards? And why does coming later matter? You do realize Epic or any other company doesn't have access to Steam backend code and even if they have can't just use it without Steam allowing it.

If you want a cross play world in which PC is just PC and not Epic, Steam, Origins, XBN, ... , then you better blame all of those companies equally. Because for that world to be real each and everyone of these companies would need to work together. But they don't work together it seems and that's why cross play between PC using different stores needs to be implemented instead of being automatic.

Companies having games already on PC via their own store still need to port to steam and yes I said port. It's not automatic and there is no backend standard.

That some games already released already use some servers. Coming later matter because you're the one disrupting the way things work. To accomodate to Epic's new ecosystem, it means for some games to have split servers, because Epic wants more money, thus making the experience for the end user worse.

They don't need to have access to Steam backend. They could just use Steamworks. Or make their server communicate with it. Multiple games do that already.

Why I don't blame all those companies equally ? Because those other companies didn't bring such issues. Even when I buy an Origin game on Steam, I don't have split servers. Why there's only ONE fucking company that cause those issues ?
In fact, Windows Store caused those shenanigans a few years ago... Guess, what ? They got a lot of shit for this.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
Regardless of what anyone thinks about Epic Online Services, adding always online DRM into such an old game seems like a very strange, and presumably unintentional move. Hope it gets fixed

Oct 25, 2017
What is there to explain? Of course someone working for EA, a corporation that is also buddy-buddy with Epic, will advocate in favor of telemetry, always online DRMs and against consumer rights.

I'm assuming their posts come from their knowledge as a dev and not pushing an EA/Epic agenda, and saying they are is pot stirring. They're a dev who happens to work for EA, not EA's PR.

Regardless of what anyone thinks about Epic Online Services, adding always online DRM into such an old game seems like a very strange, and presumably unintentional move. Hope it gets fixed

I'd love to think that, but I wouldn't put anything past SE when it comes to their PC efforts.

Condwiramurs

Nov 10, 2020

jfc what is this post....

regarding the update, it seems like someone fucked up, i can't imagine the way it is now was intentional

Oct 31, 2017
I'm assuming their posts come from their knowledge as a dev and not pushing an EA/Epic agenda, and saying they are is pot stirring. They're a dev who happens to work for EA, not EA's PR.
Eh, still there's a long post history of taking EGS defense at any given chance.
Not even in a "I don't care about it" manner, as much as a straight "Oh neat, I'm totally going to buy stuff on the EGS because it's a lot better than Steam for me".

Which sure, is probably just a personal take, but one even more questionable/suspicious than one I would expect from an explicit EA PR, frankly.

BeI

Dec 9, 2017

We already know that EGS attempted to track steam user data a while back and only responded to it after being called out on it:

www.pcgamer.com

Epic says it doesn't use Steam data without permission after Reddit accusations (Updated)

A thread on Reddit accused the Epic launcher of illicitly mining and sharing Steam data, but Epic says it's not the case.

I would like to avoid giving EpicGames more data than neccessary, really any company more data than necessary and the fact that they did it once doesn't inspire confidence. Who knows what else they're doing with our data nowadays that the story lost traction.

In one of the sets of Epic documents released during the Apple presentation, one page said that Steam doesn't share personal identifying data, but Epic's policy is "WIP" and depends on jurisdiction, although I don't know if that is specifically referring to that tickbox under free games about sharing your email for updates or something.

I can't seem to find the slides now though.

Oct 31, 2017
This reminds me when X-Com 2 got a new launcher years after release that:
1) was bad
2) did not work properly
3) broke mods
More and more publishers (and at times even individual developers) are starting to do this crap of adding their own "launcher inside the launcher" and frankly it annoys me to no end how according to some people "Complaining is pointless and we should just bend over and accept it".

I strongly disagree. Complaining and being VERY vocal about the dislike for this garbage is basically the only weapon we have to not let shitty trends like this getting out of hand.

I don't even care if as a company you think you are entitled to our personal data: at very least find an non-invasive way to gather it directly in-game without pestering your customers with "wannabe-services" that don't "serve" us jack shit.

Dec 4, 2017
Brazil
More and more publishers (and at times even individual developers) are starting to do this crap of adding their own "launcher inside the launcher" and frankly it annoys me to no end how according to some people "Complaining is pointless and we should just bend over and accept it".

I strongly disagree. Complaining and being VERY vocal about the dislike for this garbage is basically the only weapon we have to not let shitty trends like this getting out of hand.
yeah, I did not get it for free FFS
And it pisses me off that the community had to create their own launcher to get the functionality working again.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Well, yeah, RT shadows will be lower res with DLSS. They should probably filter/denoise them better under such circumstances though. Some of these artifacts look as if denoiser is completely off with DLSS active.
But tbf I saw similar artifacts with shadows in SOTTR even before the patch.

Oct 25, 2017
I mean they're free to share their knowledge at any time

Sure. Heck, I'd love to hear from anyone with working knowledge of EOS. My problem with that post is claiming somebody must be shilling just because they work for an EA owned company. It's especially odd to say it when EA isn't one of the parties involved here.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
Why I don't blame all those companies equally ? Because those other companies didn't bring such issues. Even when I buy an Origin game on Steam, I don't have split servers. Why there's only ONE fucking company that cause those issues ?
Steam is a own platform though, just like Epic. Steam just has the huge advantage they are the go to ecosystem on PC and thus most developers port their games to steam and work on cross play between PC and PC (steam). The game devs make these things work. In that sense Valve don't seem to be different than Epic and that's my point. Btw I very much doubt developers can use steamworks for a Epic store releases. Do you have a source?

Last edited:

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017
Steam is a own platform though, just like Epic. Steam just has the huge advantage they are the go to ecosystem on PC and thus most developers port their games to steam and work on cross play between PC and PC (steam). The game devs make these things work. In that sense Valve don't seem to be different than Epic and that's my point. Btw I very much doubt developers can use steamworks for a Epic store releases. Do you have a source?

Source code is here: https://github.com/ValveSoftware/GameNetworkingSockets

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
Im really starting to hate Square. And Fuck Epic Game Store and Tim Sweeney.

Now we're supposed to update our Steam copies for EOS? Fuck that.

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017
Sadly we can except more of EOS updates too, without any guarantee that publishers don't fuck up conversion

0qBtrea.png

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Even though they are going to fix this, they never added HDR to Rise of the Tomb Raider like advertised but came back years later to add DRM, lmao.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
That's nice and I didn't know that. I also read that not all functionality are available without using Steam, but that's a given. Still great this API is open source.

• Cross platform. This library has shipped on consoles, mobile platforms, and non-Steam stores, and has been used to facilitate cross-platform connectivity. Contact us to get access to the code. (We are not allowed to distribute it here.)

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017
That's nice and I didn't know that. I also read that not all functionality are available without using Steam, but that's a given. Still great this API is open source.

But also not all make sense, You probably don't want or need Steam Achievements, Steam Cloud, etc. if you're playing via EGS (since this would add steam login requirement).

Workshop cross-compatibility would be great addition though imo.

My Tulpa

alt account
Banned
Sep 19, 2021
Please keep this thread updated on when the ROTTR DLSS patch is fixed and back up, I'd appreciate it! Only one I care about right now.