• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
Is Mankind Divided worth playing? I bought it for peanuts when it was on sale, but haven't checked it out yet. After the franchise got put on ice, I imagined it to be another Andromeda, something which I would not willingly put myself through again.

I would argue that it probably is the best representation of discrimination in any game so far. IMO one of the best games ever, a masterpiece.

White Glint

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The games seem overly reliant on the praxis system, requiring you to level your character in a certain way or you might not be able to complete a mission. Don't have enough strength to lift this crate? Don't have X hacking level? Don't have a social enhancer or 1000 credits? Welp, sorry bud, you can't complete this quest.
Just no. Patently false.

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
I'm struggling OP. In Human Revolution I never needed to buy any ammo and easily had enough more than enough money to buy all the praxis kits for sale, let alone 1,000 for that quest.

I also never, ever was unable to complete a quest because I didn't have a particular upgrade. The game is deliberately designed to make that impossible.

Are you just running and gunning your way through the main questline?

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I remember trying to play it and thinking something was off. Don't remember if it was the framerate or large deadzones on the sticks. Or both.
The Wii U controller is quite clunky for that type of game. I like the touchscreen menus in that version but I hate how the hardest setting removes the aiming reticle. On PC, you can turn it on and off regardless of difficulty.

psychedelic

Oct 30, 2017
I always felt like there were various ways of approaching things. In MD, I remember jumping over movable crates in order to avoid getting electrocuted to cross an area, and the whole thing put a smile across my face.

Mankind Divided made me want to play the original Deus Ex, and I loved that too. I wish they'd remaster it and port Human Revolution to PS4.

wollywinka

Feb 15, 2018
I would argue that it probably is the best representation of discrimination in any game so far. IMO one of the best games ever, a masterpiece.
That's a serious recommendation. Thank you. The franchise has clearly come a long way since Letitia, the ill-considered stereotype in Human Revolution. In a sense, she was also representative of discrimination, but in the wrong way, Anyway, I've downloaded the game and I'm ready to go. Can't wait :)

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's a serious recommendation. Thank you. The franchise has clearly come a long way since Letitia, the ill-considered stereotype in Human Revolution. In a sense, she was also representative of discrimination, but in the wrong way, Anyway, I've downloaded the game and I'm ready to go. Can't wait :)
The voice actress is black so I doubt she was trying to portray the character negatively. She was just bad at putting on an accent.

ActWan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The point of immersive sims is usually to give you multiple ways to access a mission.
If its a password you need, there's usually notes with it around the level for those with low hacking skill (or you can get it through NPC dialogue outside the mission area), for example. Secret vents can take you to a lot of rooms too. There's almost always another way, even if its creative and "breaking" the game, that's kind of the point.

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Is this the whole completionist mentality issue? Because I don't understand how somebody who wants to do everything wouldn't have enough money and supplies.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't played Human Revolution in a very long time, and I don't remember having that issue, so I can't comment on that. But I'm playing through Mankind Divided and I'd disagree.

If anything, I went around with unspent praxis points for a very long time (9-15 of them) since I never really needed any abilities besides hacking up to level 3 or so. I'm swimming in omnitools and can craft more. I've been saving and reloading to try all the different ways to approach some of the scenarios because there's a lot of flexibility. I've had fun moving heavy objects out of the way by wedging small objects and jiggling them.

I finally have a bunch of abilities, and they mostly feel like extras that make the game more fun, but are definitely not required. I also have way too much of everything.

wollywinka

Feb 15, 2018
The voice actress is black so I doubt she was trying to portray the character negatively. She was just bad at putting on an accent.
It's not the colour of the voice actor that troubled me, it's the writing and delivery. I'd be surprised if a black person wrote her lines or directed her performance. Letitia is an anachronism, a ludicrous Mammy figure. I winced every time she spoke.

Sabretooth

Oct 27, 2017
India
I recommend checking out Ross Scott's reviews for the games, if you haven't already - though I don't know if they'd spoil it for you. Depends what you're looking for in a review, since it sounds like you've been doing a lot of reading up on the series.

I watched this yesterday thanks to your post, and I really loved this review. Deus Ex is my all-time favourite game and I hold it up with almost unfair reverence. This video helped me see that yeah, a good bunch of it is nonsensical and silly, but what's special about Deus Ex, what I liked about it 18 years ago - is still something no other game has matched.

Oct 28, 2017
Human Revolution was one of the most inventive gaming experiences I'd had in a long long while. The only shortcoming I can recall were that the boss fights felt too cheap. Masterpiece of a game, one of my all time favorites.

Mankind Divided felt like Human Revolution but with prettier graphics and less fun factor. Still solid.

I have no idea what OP os talking about, but I also loved Invisible War so what do I know

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Human Revolution gave multiple options, the problem is you end up solving every mission the same 1-2 ways.

Guts Of Thor

Oct 25, 2017
Mankind Divided was much better than Human Revolution but both games are still trillions of light years behind the original and I'd prefer they just stop making them since they will never come close to the original.