• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

chuey

Oct 28, 2017
whoa-this-is-heavy-back-to-the-future-gif.gif

mookie1515

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, BTTF is surprisingly airtight.

The whole chicken thing is obviously an addition for the sequels so they have somewhere fun to go with Marty though.

For the uninitiated:

I want to stress, if you have a chance to meet Tom Wilson at a convention in the future, do it. The man is a giant joy.

CaptainNuevo

Mascot Maniac
Oct 25, 2017
I submit an alternative theorem:

People eat chickens.
Marty doesn't want to be eaten and actually has a deep seated fear of cannibalism.
Therefore, when he's called chicken Marty is worried people will eat him (and rightfully so, I've seen many people call him "a delicious piece of man meat").

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
It's because time is the fourth dimension, and time travel is about breaking the fourth dimension. And you know what's also breaking the fourth dimension? That the character played by Michael J Fox hates chickens.

Think about it.

Pendas

Oct 28, 2017
Didn't Doc specifically say he wasn't going to tell Marty about his future because it could change history? I'm pretty sure Marty always had that shitty future, but Doc didn't want to tell him about it.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
Doesn't Marty experience time in a linear why though, so how would stuff he did when he went back in time change him? From his perspective time is still moving forward

Forsaken82

Oct 27, 2017
The only closure I want is what happens with the Marty from Lone Pines universe. Dude was raised by a rich successful family vs Twin Pines Marty who was raised by a poor, gullable bullied average family. What world does he return to after he travels through time. Does he even get his parents back together? Does he return to Twin Pines Universe? thus creating a time loop where each marty creates the other?

Mirk

Oct 25, 2017
Just throwing this out there so y'all can feel old as shit but if made today Marty would go back to 1991 instead off 1955.

ConfusingJazz

Not the Ron Paul Texas Fan.
Oct 26, 2017
China
They wrote 2 and 3 together, and needed something to do with Marty's character. While I appreciate the message of not bowing down to peer pressure or whatever, it's shoved in really badly.

Offensive, especially by today's standards, but wouldn't affect a rating.

He was called "yellow" as in yellow bellied, which means cowardly, which, as far as I can tell, isn't related to the racist ideas of Asians at the time.

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
I thought it was actually insecurities related to his dad. I remember in the beginning of the movie the dad was being wiped the floor with and Marty didn't want to end up like his dad.

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

Shroki

Oct 27, 2017
They wrote 2 and 3 together, and needed something to do with Marty's character. While I appreciate the message of not bowing down to peer pressure or whatever, it's shoved in really badly.

He was called "yellow" as in yellow bellied, which means cowardly, which, as far as I can tell, isn't related to the racist ideas of Asians at the time.

I've never really thought about where the terms "yellow" and "yellow-bellied" came from. Googled it and I guess it's a reference to some platoon of British soldiers out of Lincolnshire.

Ya learn something new every day.

Instant Vintage

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
By orders of magnitude, hahah, but it's always fun to overthink things that creators made on a whim. Here's a fun one for Terminator (starts out simple, keep reading).

I want you to personally know that I spent my afternoon reading this instead of working and now I'm turning the events over and over again in my head and probably will be for the rest of the evening.

So thanks for that. LOL

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I want you to personally know that I spent my afternoon reading this instead of working and now I'm turning the events over and over again in my head and probably will be for the rest of the evening.

So thanks for that. LOL

You're welcome, and pass on my apologies to your employer. :D

BTW, that's a RationalFic; if you liked it, you may want to check this one:
Caveats include it being, well, a Harry Potter fic (I fortunately read it years before Rowling outed herself as a transphobe; your own enjoyment may vary), and that, as the opening states, it starts out rather mediocre and doesn't get really good until later. But it does get pretty good.

Last edited:

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
The only closure I want is what happens with the Marty from Lone Pines universe. Dude was raised by a rich successful family vs Twin Pines Marty who was raised by a poor, gullable bullied average family. What world does he return to after he travels through time. Does he even get his parents back together? Does he return to Twin Pines Universe? thus creating a time loop where each marty creates the other?

There's no split universe rich bred Marty ceases to exist

Lynd

Oct 29, 2017
But how did Biff get back to 2015 to drop the Delorean off.

That one doesnt make sense as The Doc explains later they cant just travel there.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Its always weird when a fan thinks x1000 deeper than the people who actually made the movie. I dont think its a negative thing necessarily but more often than not I find the creators to be more like "yeah I wasnt thinking about any of that" on subjects such as these.

GuEiMiRrIRoW

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Actually, he changes his dad behavior. It means that his father was a chicken in the first movie, but he was changeg by Marty behavior on the pst.
Marty grows to become more heat headed by his own father, that's why in the second movie they introduce the "chicken" angry behavior. It's subtle.

HeySeuss

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
You're obviously not old enough to have lived in pop culture of 1985. Being called a chicken was considered a insult. You'd follow that insult up with making chicken wings with your arms and making bawk bawk bawk noises.

It was toxic masculinity plain and simple. It was a thing then (and now) but on the playground that was the go-to insult.

Realyst

Oct 27, 2017
But how did Biff get back to 2015 to drop the Delorean off.

That one doesnt make sense as The Doc explains later they cant just travel there.
The timeline isn't impacted immediately. The changes sorta "ripple-out".

Remember how Marty didn't immediately disappear when he pushed George out of the way of Lorraine's dad's car? He altered the timeline at that point, but the effect didn't start catching up to him until a week later.

I guess I'll be the one to mention that there was a deleted scene that showed Old Biff disappearing from existence because Alternate Timeline Lorraine shoots him at some point in the past. That's why he looked like he was in pain leaving the DeLorean and then just collapses.

Lynd

Oct 29, 2017
The timeline isn't impacted immediately. The changes sorta "ripple-out".

Remember how Marty didn't immediately disappear when he pushed George out of the way of Lorraine's dad's car? He altered the timeline at that point, but the effect didn't start catching up to him until a week later.

I guess I'll be the one to mention that there was a deleted scene that showed Old Biff disappearing from existence because Alternate Timeline Lorraine shoots him at some point in the past. That's why he looked like he was in pain leaving the DeLorean and then just collapses.

Wouldn't him not fading out immediately be linked because the timing of their first kiss though.

That was the pivotal moment, like if they hadnt kissed on the dance floor Marty would have disappeared once that event had passed immediately?

But yeah, i was aware of the deleted scene.

the lizard

Nov 1, 2017
I thought it was from the deleted scene where he jumped universes to the one where chickens have enslaved the human race