• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You'll notice that this wasn't an issue for Marty when he first traveled back to 1955. He appeared normal and was presented as a young man who rarely took the opinions of others into account.

But then he started fiddling with the timeline.

Time, in this reality, acts upon the continuum in broad waves; a person who briefly removes him- or herself from it will observe time "correcting" itself (photographs changing, newspapers rewriting, even people disappearing).

But what they won't see is their personality being altered. Each time Marty traveled through time, any action he took in the past had an inevitable reaction on his disposition in the future - this becomes increasingly pronounced as his story progresses, culminating in his ability to turn away from Needles.

"But we went into the future and saw that Marty already had that accident, and this was before he tried changing anything!"

Quite right, but as Doc Brown said, you aren't thinking fourth dimensionally, and certainly aren't considering the behavior of time.

See, Doc Brown himself returns to 1985 and informs Marty that it's his kids that get into trouble, but Marty himself is fine. Having traveled immediately that far into the future, time hadn't yet 'caught up' to 2015 and corrected itself after the shenanigans in 1955, thus Doc Brown observes a Marty McFly who has no recollections of ever traveling through time.

But by the time Marty himself jumps into 2015, the corrections have asserted themselves: Marty has been changed, perhaps subtly, into a man hellbent on the adoration and acceptance of his peers: a sellout, a loser, a chicken. It is no surprise that Marty gets into his accident with the Rolls Royce the very same day that he returns from 1955. In this timeline, he has no time to even begin to understand that he's been altered.

But, in the reality we observe, Marty gets to drag out this single day in 1985 by many additional leaps through time, both forward and backwards. These adventures continue to have sweeping effects on his personality, but - luckily - he eventually overcomes his new flaw and sidesteps the incident with Needles, allowing him to start a new path into the future, likely one more-closely mirroring that which Doc Brown initially observed.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
I think it's because Marty didn't like having his masculinity and bravery questioned.

Alien Bob

Nov 25, 2017
Was that real manure?
No it wasn't.
Was that real manure?
Nooo.
Was that real manure?
It's a movie. Stop asking me the question.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
You've already thought more about the implications of time travel in BttF than the creators of BttF ever did, congrats.

BlueKaty

Nov 30, 2020
Chicken is the forbidden insult. It gets to everyone. Who's to say Marty never had a problem with that? The first time we see it used in BTTF2 he did have a problem with being called chicken.

dennett316

Nov 2, 2017
Blackpool, UK
Or they just wanted to add another character trait that could carry through the two sequels and show his growth by the end of the arc....but nah, it's probably all that behaviour change/time travel gobbledegook.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I mean it's a good in universe explanation but it's really just that Marty needed a character flaw and arc to go through the next two movies with.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I'm pretty sure you thought of this far harder than the actual writers ever did.
Nah, BTTF is surprisingly airtight.

The whole chicken thing is obviously an addition for the sequels so they have somewhere fun to go with Marty though.
Was that real manure?
No it wasn't.
Was that real manure?
Nooo.
Was that real manure?
It's a movie. Stop asking me the question.
For the uninitiated:

Last edited:

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
You've already thought more about the implications of time travel in BttF than the creators of BttF ever did, congrats.

It's also wrong because why would altering time subtly change his personality but not his memories.

Marty's personal experience of time is unchanged... that's why his memories and shit don't change but the world does. He's on a single timeline in life it just happens that several weeks are spent in the past, the future, and the distant past.

Changing alters big things like his existence but as long as he exists he remains the Marty who went back to 1955 in the first place

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Or they just wanted to add another character trait that could carry through the two sequels and show his growth by the end of the arc....but nah, it's probably all that behaviour change/time travel gobbledegook.
This is exactly it. He was a non-character with no growth in the first film, which was fine. But to sustain two more films they manufactured an arc to make it more interesting and satisfying. It's as simple as that.

JohnDusk

Oct 24, 2018

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Considering that BTTF is taught in Screenwriting courses as an example of a 'perfect' screenplay, I'd say no.

I'm curious what is the "perfection" you speak of and if it actually has any relevance to what the OP is talking about. Having the pacing, the narrative progression and many other elements in a flawless state doesn't exactly mean it's time travel pseudoscience was "perfected".

Biggersmaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Minneapolis
It's to facilitate character growth written so blatantly clear, even children wont miss it. An amusing Achilles Heel that also works as a recurring gag allowing the audience to easily recognize the trend of unforced foolish mistakes. Setting up the easy redemption by refusing to race Needles race at the end of the trilogy.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I thought the because he wanted to be the opposite of his father.

OP
OP
DiipuSurotu

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I never realized Marty doesn't have an arc in Part I. Kinda like Indiana Jones in Raiders

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
q08Ds.gif

Gpsych

May 20, 2019

This. The creators literally pitched the movie by asking, "What would it be like to see your parents when they were teenagers?" I love Back to the Future (favorite movie) but it's just about that. Cool theory though.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
It's this. His father is (before time travel changed him) a loser. He's constantly compared to him (the scene at his school). He hates this. He doesn't want to be like him.

But in 2015, he told Old Biff that George was never a loser. He doesn't remember how his parents and siblings were in the original timeline anymore.

Oct 30, 2017
No wonder Shane Carruth left Hollywood. No one gave a flying fuck about his airtight time travel in Primer, but people fall over themselves finding ways to make BttF seem more like high art than the popcorn sci-fi comedy it actually is.

Shane Carruth is also a butthole so there's really no reason to give Primer extra attention.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
No wonder Shane Carruth left Hollywood. No one gave a flying fuck about his airtight time travel in Primer, but people fall over themselves finding ways to make BttF seem more like high art than the popcorn sci-fi comedy it actually is.

Shane Carruth is also a butthole so there's really no reason to give Primer extra attention.

I once figured out Primer

I have since forgotten it but I solved that movie

Telcius

Sep 21, 2020
I thought it was because Marty saw how his dad had zero confidence at the beginning of the series and Marty didn't want to be like him.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
He's short and his father was a loser. It's really not that deep lol.

ding ding ding

Marty is ashamed of his father and overcompensates for that. And even "future Marty" would still not necessarily think highly of his dad. Like, sure, he knocked Biff out. But he's still a loser and a creep. Albeit, a rich one who writes books and can afford expensive cars.

Realyst

Oct 27, 2017
I never realized Marty doesn't have an arc in Part I. Kinda like Indiana Jones in Raiders
He does have an arc, it just parallels George's arc.

At the start of the movie, Marty is scared of rejection. He doesn't want to send his demo tape to a label because he thinks they might tell him that he has no future. George carried himself the same way back in 1955, and it prevented him from getting his stories published in the original timeline. He's also essentially stuck in the past and filled with regret (watching reruns instead of living in the moment).

In 1955, Marty starts mentoring his dad so that he will take more chances. He just has to put his mind to it. As he teaches George, he also learns it himself through self-preservation (getting George and Lorraine together to correct the timeline and prevent his own erasure).

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I find it fascinating that Marty only starts exhibiting this character trait in BTTF2 after Biff tells him that Marty grew up to be a total failure.

Obviously the "chicken" part was probably already embedded into his personality and it just never got a chance to assert itself within the story of the first movie, but from a storytelling perspective the seed of insecurity is already planted before he has to contend with this detail. Subconsciously, he's rebelling against his own future, and I could see his awareness from time travel only really doing a bigger number on his mentality in that respect. Despite not knowing the full story, he nonetheless gets imbued with the fear that somewhere along the way, he screwed up.

Last edited:

Schlorgan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Salt Lake City, Utah
He does have an arc, it just parallels George's arc.

At the start of the movie, Marty is scared of rejection. He doesn't want to send his demo tape to a label because he thinks they might tell him that he has no future. George carried himself the same way back in 1955, and it prevented him from getting his stories published in the original timeline. He's also essentially stuck in the past and filled with regret (watching reruns instead of living in the moment).

In 1955, Marty starts mentoring his dad so that he will take more chances. He just has to put his mind to it. As he teaches George, he also learns it himself through self-preservation (getting George and Lorraine together to correct the timeline and prevent his own erasure).
Correct. He had a perfect arc in the first movie.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
But by the time Marty himself jumps into 2015, the corrections have asserted themselves: Marty has been changed, perhaps subtly, into a man hellbent on the adoration and acceptance of his peers: a sellout, a loser, a chicken.

This is the crux of your theory (and the title of the thread) but you haven't yet justified it. Why has Marty changed into a man obsessed with acceptance? In what way have his time travels, or the rewriting of history, changed him into that?

I'm pretty sure you thought of this far harder than the actual writers ever did.

By orders of magnitude, hahah, but it's always fun to overthink things that creators made on a whim. Here's a fun one for Terminator (starts out simple, keep reading).

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I know other people have pointed out that this is a bad take but lol damn it's bad

Like every year there's a "holy shit the attention to detail" article about the series written
They're amazing movies and there are some fantastic details relating to the time travel and world itself, but it's not like the temporal logic within isn't riddled with issues. Then again what time travel movie is perfect, the entire concept is paradoxical.

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
What the fuck OP how did you know I watched Back to the Future with my girlfriend (her first time) yesterday?