• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

-COOLIO-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The bigger problem is that VR is also incredibly ablest towards the disable folks.

No it's not for disabled folks.

my sincere sympathies, but there's a lot of popular activities that are inaccessible to people with various disabilities.

even staying in the realm of just video games, most video games are unplayable for the blind.

Rommaz

Nov 27, 2017
Kitwe, Zambia.
As a person living in a 3rd world country I kinda agree regarding streaming. The speeds needed will pretty much never get to my country at a decent price unless some massive shit happens in the market.

OP
OP

Deleted member 227

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 Day): Trolling over a series of posts.
So you haven't heard of the Oculus Quest, then?
Yes, they can. Oculus Quest. You can also connect it to your PC to play Half Life. Good talk.

Are we actually comparing the Adreno 540 for lightweight games with the actual hardware needed to run the games required to push it?
also you haven't responded to my question about whether you're from such a country or if you're just concern trolling using third word countries as a weapon in your argument because you don't like VR.

I didn't answer your question because it's moronic.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
Are we actually comparing the Adreno 540 for lightweight games with the actual hardware needed to run the games required to push it?

I didn't answer your question because it's moronic.

Nah, what's moronic is the thread's premise because you clearly have no idea about how gaming works in non first world countries and what that means for a gaming product to succeed. You'd consider consoles to have mainstream adoption I presume. Well, they don't exist outside first world countries. you're just being condescending and using third world countries as some sort of argument winning rhetorical device even when you're wrong and it's really shitty to use poor countries as a shield simply because you don't like VR.

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
ill tell ya them fancy new televisions will never take off!

theyre too expensive!

everyone likes their radios just fine, you get to use your imagination that way!

plus you cant watch the television while driving can ya

OP
OP

Deleted member 227

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I never once compared it. You said VR headsets don't play games. The Quest does.

Are you actually moving goalposts? You never specified what kind of games they run in your sarcastic and uninformed reply.

Okay fine, it can run games. Does it change the point that it's not an actual replacement for a console though? It's still marketed for games that *actually* need to run on a PC/console.

in4m8ion_man

Mar 11, 2019
Id argue all video games are first world products. None of its 'cheap' and never really has been, yet here we are

Shado

Oct 26, 2017
They will break through. It's just a question of when? The "when?" being when hardware catches up and becomes more performance efficient as well as cost efficient.

Landford

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Worldwide I think its going to be really hard for years to come. An Oculus quest or S is 1k Dollars here in Brazil.

Transistor

Vodka martini, dirty, with Tito's please
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Okay fine, it can run games. Does it change the point that it's not an actual replacement for a console though? It's still marketed for games that *actually* need to run on a PC/console.
Again, I never said it was. Yes, this comes at a premium. As someone posted in the thread, though, you can get an HP headset for around $150.

sauce

Oct 25, 2017
As a person living in a 3rd world country I kinda agree regarding streaming. The speeds needed will pretty much never get to my country at a decent price unless some massive shit happens in the market.
Have you tried steam remote play at all? Not trying to discount your experience, I'm just curious if it works on that sort of infrastructure.

Felix Lighter

Oct 25, 2017
It literally just gained the ability to connect to a PC to play PCVR games. Basically since it's launch it was marketed as a stand alone wireless VR headset with it's own game ecosystem.

Shado

Oct 26, 2017
Worldwide I think its going to be really hard for years to come. An Oculus quest or S is 1k Dollars here in Brazil.

This is how TVs started. They were a premium device. Same thing with cell phones. They were just for the rich and business men to begin with. Now it's a almost a necessity.

TangFei

Banned
Aug 18, 2019
Not sure why streaming is lumped in to this. People have been streaming video games for decades now through things like flash games and html5. Which have dramatically lowered the barrier to entry than buying a 200 dollar plus console. Streaming video games, while nascent right now will be just as accessible as video.

Soundchaser

Oct 25, 2017
I see two arguments in the OP, entry price and utility, but either of them fail to consign VR to a first world-only thing.

The entry price of VR is going to drop over time, as it drops for the majority of mass-manufactured technology products. Unlike streaming, VR does not require improvements in public infrastructure - it's a self-contained part for your PC.

I don't think you provided any strong reasons why people aren't ever going to need VR, so the utility argument is also invalid. Maybe time will eventually prove you right on this particular point, but the prospective killer apps are only starting to appear right now so it's a bit premature to dismiss the utility of VR the way you did.

Last edited:

Kurt Russell

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
OP
OP

Deleted member 227

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not sure why streaming is lumped in to this. People have been streaming video games for decades now through things like flash games and html5. Which have dramatically lowered the barrier to entry than buying a 200 dollar plus console. Streaming video games, while nascent right now will be just as accessible as video.

The infrastructure required to actually make it pleasant and distribution of data centers isn't equal everywhere. It's true that the barrier to entry is low for it on paper, but it requires a lot of external factors to be in place.

Kurt Russell

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Sure. I'm just saying that it's pretty dumb that Valve is pushing VR so hard but they aren't even selling their own headset in some countries.

Also the Quest is $650 here. So fuck that.

Yeah, I paid US$670 to get it here (taxes, gotta love them, right!). It's still basically the same (or maybe even less) you'd pay for a PS4 here.

caff!!!

Oct 29, 2017
Google cardboard is the practical VR future for most people as it is super cheap for the hardware and works with existing phones. If anything, streaming games through a phone could be a entry point to get experiences that would otherwise be tethered to expensive hardware. Not as much of a selling point in the states, but once all the kinks are ironed out they will sweep through the rest of the world with it and that's why everyone wants in now.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
Also Internet cafes are pretty prominent in countries outside of the first world and recently I've seen a lot of them convert into or include VR cafes. Maybe everyone won't own their own headset but VR is big in many countries and VR attractions/cafes are very popular.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
I don't know if this has changed, so please feel free to correct me if it has: https://www.gamezone.com/news/ps4-pro-heads-brazil-february-935-usd-r2999/

(PS4 pro costs nearly 1kin Brazil according to that article)

It is correct here in Argentina (a PS4 costs more than a capable VR headset, though I haven't tried to get a price on the Index, since they don't sell it here).

The official is expensive, but everyone buy imported for much less

There was a PS4k (R$) joke when it was released lol

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
VR is on the way to being more affordable which is kind of what they're going for. Sony (in particular) is making continuous pushes to getting the PSVR price down and attractive with a continual stream of games. It's not going to happen overnight.

I do think VR on the PC is not in the affordable range for the majority of consumers currently.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
VR is just superfluous luxury. I'm sure people who threw money at it can write essay upon essays about how great it is, but that doesn't really change that it's a luxury that's low on the list of many people's priorities.

Let me replace a couple of words in that paragraph:

A console is just superfluous luxury. I'm sure people who threw money at it can write essay upon essays about how great it is, but that doesn't really change that it's a luxury that's low on the list of many people's priorities.

Hmmm, checks out. Once more:

A gaming PC is just superfluous luxury. I'm sure people who threw money at it can write essay upon essays about how great it is, but that doesn't really change that it's a luxury that's low on the list of many people's priorities.

Yep, sounds about right.

Heid

Jan 7, 2018
OP, like 50% of people on Steam have VR capable machines.

You can get a HMD + controllers for $150 or $200.

Do you also factor the cost of the TV into the price of console gaming...? Uhuh. Spoilers, all of the gaming industry is for 'First World' people. The mobile market is where its at for the poor, for obvious reasons.

Deleted member 13560

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This topic is so poorly thought out and is filled with so many moving goal posts that it borders on the side of out right trolling.

Kurt Russell

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

It can run certain games that are available on PC/console. Some of the biggest names in VR too.

Pistol Whip
Beat Saber
SUPERHOT VR
Vader Immortal (all episodes released so far)
The Climb (coming soon)
Espire 1 (coming soon?)
Cloudlands 2
A Fisherman's Tale (coming soon?)
Rec Room
SkyWorld
Vacation Simulator (coming soon)
Moss
Echo VR (coming soon)

And there's probably more.

Rommaz

Nov 27, 2017
Kitwe, Zambia.
Have you tried steam remote play at all? Not trying to discount your experience, I'm just curious if it works on that sort of infrastructure.
I'm more of a console gamer myself so I wouldn't know much about the steam remote play service, let alone use it. I tried PS4 remote play to my phone one time though. The data drain was kinda unreasonable for me lol.

But I'm basing my post on what I see as recommended speeds for Stadia/xcloud even at 720p. A connection with a consistent down speed of about 10mb/s(that's recommended for these streaming services, iirc) or more is considered to be among higher end connections in my country with unlimited packages or even packages above 5gigs a month are priced way too high even for a person like me who's kinda privileged. They're pretty much used by only the super wealthy or upper class businesses. And it doesn't look like other service providers will show up anytime soon with good enough packages for streaming to become adopted by even a small minority of gamers in the country

shark97

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
LIke smartphones, right? Dont kid yourself OP. These things have a way of getting to the World's masses quickly. Hell, couldn't you make the same argument about Nintendo Switch? Or all consoles period, really? The masses in India and China not snapping those up. Yet last I checked the Switch is still regarded as the most successful product ever, right?

Yeah, most of the worlds people will or do have access to good internet. Period. Capitalism is a crazy fulcrum.

Now VR I'd tend to agree, CURRENTLY (may not hold true in future). Because VR is a niche even the first world, with a powerful PC and an expensive headset required (minus Quest maybe, with is still 400, speaking mainly to HL Alyx)

Last edited:

Drakhyrr

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
Well, what can I say to fellow 3rd worlders... Sucks to be us.

It's no use to complain, though. All we can do is wait for technology to work it's wonders and get cheaper.

I will even allow myself to be picky: I have a serious problem with how the WMR headsets lose tracking of the controllers if you just lower your hands. So I will wait for something even better.

Meanwhile, thanks Sony, for officially launching the PSVR in Brazil, making it the only affordable VR set (even if only in a good sale).

Jaypah

Oct 27, 2017
You're free to hit the ignore button, or answer.

People have answered you before the post that you quoted. I was going to engage but honestly you're not arguing in good faith, your premise is busted from the outset and I'm not sure if you know much about VR at all 🤷🏾‍♂️

DAHGAMING

Oct 26, 2017
Even if i had all the money in the world its just not for me. I want to sit back with a control or kb/m , I dont want to be wearing some brick on my face sweating out and being sick, swinging about the room like some crusader. Also whats up with this floaty hand shit in Vr games can someone explain the reason theres no arms ?

Raysoul

Fat4All Ruined My Rug
Oct 26, 2017
I somewhat agree with OP. I think the point is that as a gamer, we already have our preferred console or PC. Not all gamers can afford two or more gaming device.

If I had to choose between a PC, a console, or a VR device, it would either a PC or a console. And common people would prioritize gaming phones than a VR device.

I don't know why people are posting snarky replies here. There's a reason on why VR is not flying off the shelves. OP listed one of them and people feel like they are attacked or something.

I would also love to have a VR device someday, but that is on the very bottom of my priority in terms of my gaming hobby.