• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sems4arsenal

Apr 7, 2019
Yesterday, we all found out the news that TLOU 2 will get delayed for a few month, and much to my (and I'm sure others) surprise -- most were very sane about it.

I loved reading how posters would prefer that a game gets delayed rather than the devs face crunch. I think the main reason is because of the work of video game writers exposing how much crunch affects people. Even the GOW documentary was very informative in that regard. We see things a bit differently now.

So kudos to everyone who didn't overreact and understood the benefits this will give the team.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
I think the fact that it was heavily rumored and all but confirmed a while before the actual announcement also helped. Gave people time to digest and come to the natural conclusion that TLoU2's delay was the imminent announcement.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Good. And it's just 3 months. People know Naughty Dog makes masterpieces. So if a 3 month delay means a game gets more polish and the devs more time, that's great.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Do people really make longstanding tantrums anymore? I feel like Animal Crossing and Doom's delays were far more significant than TLoU2 and those didn't really feel like they had that much lasting in impact either. The reaction to TLoU2 being muted isn't that big of a deal, it's only a few months of a move and people were already softened up to it thanks to Zhuge/Schreier breaking the news first.

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
Do people really make longstanding tantrums anymore? I feel like Animal Crossing and Doom's delays were far more significant than TLoU2 and those didn't really feel like they had that much lasting in impact either.
GameXplain used their insider information to prime people to the idea of a delay for Animal Crossing being obvious, inevitable, etc

BreakerofChains

Alt-Account
Banned
Oct 24, 2019
Yesterday, we all found out the news that TLOU 2 will get delayed for a few month, and much to my (and I'm sure others) surprise -- most were very sane about it.

I loved reading how posters would prefer that a game gets delayed rather than the devs face crunch. I think the main reason is because of the work of video game writers exposing how much crunch affects people. Even the GOW documentary was very informative in that regard. We see things a bit differently now.

So kudos to everyone who didn't overreact and understood the benefits this will give the team.
There was a lot of crazy in that thread so not sure I agree, conspiracy theory's were getting flung around.

Ænima

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
My positive reactions to delays has nothing to do with crunch. To me a game getting delayed just means more time to polish it, and i rather wait a little more for something polished, than have something unpolished that is then fixed with a patch that cames out when i already finished the game.
TLOU is a huge deal for NaughtyDog and if they think the game needs more polish im glad to wait.

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Feels like most big games get delayed these days so I think it just doesn't phase people anymore. People expect your game to get delayed now

DeathyG

Oct 27, 2017
NW Indiana
With the all the nightmarish crunching stories out there, delays shouldn't anger anybody. Besides, there is plenty of stuff to play.

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
I'm not happy it got delayed because of less crunch, I'm happy it got delayed because now it's not coming out less than two weeks before Final Fantasy VII Remake.

tr1b0re

Oct 17, 2018
Trinidad and Tobago
I think most people get that delays usually work to the benefit of a game, not to mention its TLOU, we still know it's coming out and we've seen it so it's not like it's in danger of being cancelled or anything like that

Dark_Castle

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like a smart mentality for players is to assume most AAA games will get delayed, because really what were the last ones that didn't?

Mesoian

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 28, 2017

There's so much to play, pushing games out to a more reasonable timeline benefits everyone.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They've earned trust that they're not delaying it because it's bad and they're scrambling around to patch shit up and make it into a playable state.
Lots of delayed games go through that shit.

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
Considering how common it is for games to be released broken and then have to be patched, people don't mind waiting for a game to get polished.

TheIdiot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Personally, the older I get, the less I care. Time flies, I was just reminded on Era that RDR2 was released 1 year ago. Like WTF? Felt like it was 4 months ago.

So, 3 more months, 3 less months, it's all the same. There's other shit to do, and other games to play, in the meantime.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Getting angry about it or any delay would change nothing really, I think most realize this. I can't say I'm happy about it because I'm not, It's my most anticipated game by far, but ND know what's best, they need more time, I'll survive a few extra months and ultimately it's just a delay, once the game is out I couldn't give less of a shit it got delayed.

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
Eh no, it's more that people would rather want a polished game than a rushed one. Also it's proximity to FF7R helped too. It's also only getting delayed for a few months. All in all not much to get angry about.

Corncob

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I think it's because the original release date still felt so far away anyway so another couple of months doesn't feel like a big deal. If it was delayed 2 weeks before release people would lose their minds.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Yea jason was right, people will be disappointed for a few minutes and move on.
I am still annoyed at them changing the date a month later, but at least i know that they are doing everything they can to make the game amazing and sony once again proving they dont mind delaying games beyond the FY to make sure it delivers (GoW, Days Gone and now TLOU2 all were delayed to different fiscal years, either internally or officially)

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Lol just dont go to the naughty dogs facebook page, it's cancer

DG5000

Nov 14, 2017
Personally I welcomed the news since it lends to a more balanced budget for me lol, way too many games coming out Q1 2020.

Arrakis

Oct 30, 2017
ontario,canada
Well when a dev that you trust , that has provided you with memorable story telling experiences you enjoy says they need more time thats not a big problem.

The problem with devs that haven't earned that trust that have a history of needing extra time to shoehorn in micro transactions to milk the community dry , that's when the opposite reaction occurs.

Deleted member 54292

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 27, 2019
That thread about the delay had some weird posts in it that showed the opposite of the OP. Getting mad at a dev for delaying is some petty shit. Creating your own made up narrative when lacking context for why the delay happened is even more obnoxious. Just trust the devs when they say they need more time.

Pancracio17

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Im glad people have been less agressive towards delays. Multiple delays in a row does still get you hate though, even if its less than before.
I think the fact that it was heavily rumored and all but confirmed a while before the actual announcement also helped. Gave people time to digest and come to the natural conclusion that TLoU2's delay was the imminent announcement.
This too. Honestly companies should "leak" delays on purpose.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure they're still going to crunch.

But Neil's letter was very clear about why they did it and it sounded like the right choice. I'm bummed that Ghosts of Tsushima will also be pushed back, but there's plenty to play in the meantime.

iksenpets

Oct 26, 2017
Dallas, TX
As long as they're committing to a firm date, and aren't going to a completely different year, I really don't care. I only start to worry when delays are indefinite.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
I think the main reason is because of the work of video game writers exposing how much crunch affects people.
In an age where more people think "web" journalists are unneccessary or irrelevant, it is great. Their works still matter and will maybe the life of thousands of people.
So a big thanks you to jschreier and any people who reports that :)
Have a nice week-end everyone !

jschreier

Press Sneak Fuck
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Not to rain on the optimism parade, but a three-month delay at a studio with a workaholic culture like Naughty Dog's usually doesn't mean less crunch, it means three more months of crunch.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Yesterday, we all found out the news that TLOU 2 will get delayed for a few months, and much to my (and I'm sure others) surprise -- most were very sane about it.

People were sane about it because Naughty Dog delivers great games. If they need more time, they need more time.

I loved reading how posters would prefer that a game gets delayed rather than the devs face crunch.

Naughty Dog has a lot of crunch. It seems to be part of the studio's culture at this point.

"The truth [is] they don't tell you to work X amount of hours," said another source. "But you have to get your work done. And the amount of work is just impossible for any person. It is just way too much. And if you don't hit the goals you will be fired. So I guess you don't have much of a choice."