• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SR7212

Avenger
Aug 17, 2018
I feel bad for laughing at this story but the experience might educate other startups who enter the physical publishing business overnight.

You'd be forgiven for not having heard of Poop Slinger, but this little known indie title has a unique and distinct honor. Released for the PlayStation 4 and Steam in August 2018 by little known developer 'Diggidy.net'. Months before its release, developer Diggidy.net was contacted by a company going by the name 'Limited Rare Games' to publish a limited print run physical release of their game Poop Slinger for the PS4. This was the first time they ever had dealings with a physical release of any of their titles, but they accepted the offer. Similarly, this was to be Limited Rare's first – and only – physical release.

When Poop Slinger went on sale on April 1st, 2019 for $33.99, things immediately started looking bad for Limited Rare Games. Limited run collectors, who snap up the bulk of these sorts of purchases, were instantly suspicious. The website to purchase copies from was laughably barebones, with little more than a picture of Poop Slinger's game case, a buy now button, and a copyright signature – half of which was written in Russian. All of this was displayed on a plain white site, alongside a note that only 820 copies were available worldwide.

In addition to all of the peculiarities is the company's name itself. If Limited Rare Games sounds familiar to you, that's because it's stunningly close to the successful Limited Run Games. When Limited Rare started selling the game, the logo in their Twitter profile photo used the same font as Limited Run's, replacing the 'Run' with 'Rare'. Limited Run Games says that it was made aware of this, and asked for the logo to be changed. Later in the day, the logo then changed to be similar to that of another competitor, Super Rare Games

At the end of the day, Limited Rare Games declared that it had only managed to shift 84 units, and that it'd have to shut the business. The company promised to ship out the sold copies, but remarked that creditors were to take the remaining unsold copies to repay the loan, and that sales of the game couldn't continue. The business had, after just one day, gone bankrupt. All signs pointed to this being either a joke or a scam. But it wasn't.

Full story

Ailanthium

Oct 27, 2017
Absolutely wild that this ended up being real, who would possibly think that opening up your first (and only) product of a game called Poop Slinger on April Fool's Day was a good idea?! I assume it was an intentional parody designed to get people talking to hype up their company, but even so... it's no surprise no one bit. Especially considering Poop Slinger isn't exactly the world's most beloved indie hit.

OP
OP

SR7212

Avenger
Aug 17, 2018
The cheapest physical copy on ebay is $425.00. I wonder if this was an elaborate hoax to manufacture higher demand.

OP
OP

SR7212

Avenger
Aug 17, 2018
^ Possibly the seller said that to conceal his embarrassment at having made so many mistakes.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
Fascinating, but even though they actually did ship the games, I still think it's suspicious. Why tf would you raise the price if you want to sell out? I don't know what their aim is though, maybe false scarcity so they can upsell the remaining copies? Seems kinda small-fish, maybe something with money laundering.

TimPV3

Oct 30, 2017
I can't believe people really believe they're only going to sell 84 copies, and shut their company down only hours after it went on sale. Come on. LRG is pulling our leg and will release the rest later this year.

makonero

Oct 27, 2017
Could have been a scam to sell the now super rare physical copies on eBay for hundreds of dollars

Koo

Dec 10, 2017
I think the raising of the price is the funniest part of this. It's $5 digital version, but sure let's sell it for $30... not selling enough, raise the price by another $20! Solid business decision that will surely sell more copies!

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
it's like you get caught copying from your best friend's paper, so you copy from your second best friend's paper instead.

Shark

Oct 28, 2017
Raleigh, NC
CdEBv0T.png

There's rich and there's I just dropped $500 on Poop Slinger rich.