• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
You may be right, but why help contribute to it at all when it costs you nothing to just... not share their stuff.
I'm not helping to contribute to anything. Like I said, I'm not donating or supporting outside of liking the anti-trump and pro-Dem Senate ads. Which costs nothing and requires no actual time.

Dhx

Sep 27, 2019
The way the US Constitution is set up ensures that there will be a conservative and liberal political party no matter what. This will never change, regardless of Trump or the Lincoln Project. Best case scenario is Democrats winning state legislatures to affect meaningful change for the next decade.

It's become tiresome in these threads to attempt to have an actual discussion grounded in the political reality of our two party system and how to affect long-term progress as a country. Concepts like shifting the Overton window are just blatantly ignored without counter-point for tripe straw men.

Some of y'all would stan for David duke if he was against trump

Speaking of...

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I'm not helping to contribute to anything. Like I said, I'm not donating or supporting outside of liking the anti-trump and pro-Dem Senate ads. Which costs nothing and requires no actual time.
Doing something as simple as watching the ads contributes to them. It is absolutely baffling how so many people don't seem to get this.

grand

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sorry you seem upset that many of us aren't going to ally ourselves with people who want to continue defending and platforming a racist republican propaganda campaign on a progressive site meant to be a place of inclusivity. You know what isn't productive? Any discussion of TLP on this site, yet here we are. If you want to keep making statements like you did before continue to do so. But don't be surprised when people call you out for it. You don't get to argue for the validity of this project here and then turn around and tell people were all on the same side. Because were not.
So basically you won't indulge anything but the banning of discussion of the Lincoln Project and their supporters from the forum? And only then will discussion be productive?

And I don't feel like anyone has "called me out". Plenty of counter-arguments, some unproductive stuff. But mostly good

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
But you're attributing a single thing to a shift in politics, this could be younger people reaching voting age, places being cheaper to live in and attracting democratic voters, or just gradual shifting of politics. To say that Never-Trumpers are some significant portion of the voting base without evidence is kinda weird here. Even if we imagined a scenario where these Never-Trumpers existed in a significant portion, by definition they will go back to voting for the Republican party once Trump is out of office. So who exactly are TLP targeting here when they know this?
There aren't really enough new voters to explain the change by anything other than some kind of realignment - and I don't think that these people have suddenly become good progressives or liberals. I think they're probably still conservative, but they're not voting R any more. And the thing about realignments is that they can be sticky.

Though that's not really the question at hand - it's are there enough of them to be worth targeting. And considering the gains we saw in 2018 in districts like these, the answer looks like a yes.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
That's certainly your opinion.
How it is it an opinion? Contributing to their view count on YouTube or Twitter or Facebook or wherever else gives them a greater reach through the recommendation algorithms that those social networks run on. Any views that you give to their videos helps them. Period. It's a simple fact that you can't dispute.

Ketkat

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So basically you won't indulge anything but the banning of discussion of the Lincoln Project and their supporters from the forum? And only then will discussion be productive?

And I don't feel like anyone has "called me out". Plenty of counter-arguments, some unproductive stuff. But mostly good

Of course the Lincoln project should be banned here. Random youtubers aren't even allowed to be brought up here for doing far less than these people have, but they keep getting a pass for some reason.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
The Lincoln Project are just the ones smart enough to realize they had a "good thing" going with the dog-whistle racism and the Trumpet method is going to "ruin" everything for them.

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's become tiresome in these threads to attempt to have an actual discussion grounded in the political reality of our two party system and how to affect long-term progress as a country. Concepts like shifting the Overton window are just blatantly ignored without counter-point for tripe straw men.

Speaking of...
Huh

SasaBassa

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like legitimately every point in these threads have already been talked about ad nauseam and there was a staff post regarding their presence anyway (relegated to US poliera if notable, no threads for each ad, etc).

No one is going to miss these anyway, just lots of people talking past each other. Bit of good tidbits like PS'S re: "do we actually need them" but otherwise are we really treading new ground?

Many think they're useful for bashing Trump, many want them banned from the jump, handful don't know anything about the people behind it. Strawmans ensue and ad hominems are sure to follow.

Last edited:

Deleted member 42055

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 12, 2018
Of course the Lincoln project should be banned here. Random youtubers aren't even allowed to be brought up here for doing far less than these people have, but they keep getting a pass for some reason.

Was typing this out so I'll just quote you ,It certainly is wild that gaming side can ban what are just gaming personalities for shitty tweets and content, that this side can ban Joe Rogan for his interviews and tweets but these ads are from people with the actual power to make the lives of marginalized people worse .. and are somehow allowed. It's certainly a stance to have.

* edit * oh there was a mod post elsewhere regarding TLP that had those restrictions? Ok , good , much better then

Quzar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
There aren't really enough new voters to explain the change by anything other than some kind of realignment - and I don't think that these people have suddenly become good progressives or liberals. I think they're probably still conservative, but they're not voting R any more. And the thing about realignments is that they can be sticky.

Though that's not really the question at hand - it's are there enough of them to be worth targeting. And considering the gains we saw in 2018 in districts like these, the answer looks like a yes.
They're not voting R specifically for Trump, once "honor" is restored to the office by a man with better manners they will go back to voting for Republicans. These are still all assumptions based on nothing, like, bring some stuff to the table if we're gonna 100% attribute the flip in districts to Never-Trumpers. If that is true then the numbers should be easy to find.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

I never said anything about banning, but given the people and organizations we DO ban here, this seems like an incredibly hilariously misguided one to keep open for discussion given its intent and purpose. Like an organization run by a rampant racist attempting to white wash the history of the republican party by throwing trump under the bus is pretty fucking awful-especially when posters here are donating to it.

And you can call it whatever you want. I just was letting you know were not all on the same team. And a lot of people in here will tell you the same thing.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
They're not voting R specifically for Trump, once "honor" is restored to the office by a man with better manners they will go back to voting for Republicans. These are still all assumptions based on nothing, like, bring some stuff to the table if we're gonna 100% attribute the flip in districts to Never-Trumpers. If that is true then the numbers should be easy to find.
There's been some solid pieces on the topic. I like this one from Vox: https://www.vox.com/2018/11/15/18078974/trump-gop-midterms-2018-arizona-texas-never-trump

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
Glenn Beck tried this reformed routine in 2016 because he thought Trump would lose and TLP is even more insidious.

grand

Oct 25, 2017

Speaking of...
Basically. There's not much discussion to be had when one ignores the lessons of history of the important of systemic change.

Of course there are real world tragedies happening every day. And fretting about tv ads aimed at Trump won't stop any of that. But it's hard to have that discussion.
Those are two completely different scenarios. YouTubers are people who need the attention to survive and whose deplatforming or ignoring of can have legitimate affect on.

The Lincoln Project is going to exist without our attention, as well all politics. Ignoring groups that don't align with our values will just let them prosper in a bubble, not eliminate. If you want to ban the Lincoln Project, you might as well as ban all Trump talk (and therefore all Political talk).

This isn't some racist streamer trying to get clicks on their Twitch channel.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
I feel like legitimately every point in these threads have already been talked about ad nauseum and there was a staff post regarding their presence anyway (relegated to US poliera if notable, no threads for each ad, etc).

No one is going to miss these anyway, just lots of people talking past each other. Bit of good tidbits like PS'S re: "do we actually need them" but otherwise are we really treading new ground?

Many think they're useful for bashing Trump, many want them banned from the jump, handful don't know anything about the people behind it. Strawmans ensue and ad hominems are sure to follow.

This is how I feel too. We've had multiple threads on this and they just seem to be the same people arguing over and over again. Those of us who like what they're doing right now like what they're doing right now, and those who don't, well, don't. It's pretty clear at this point that nobody's opinion on them is going to change, especially since the same arguments get brought up again and again. I'm in the "if you don't like TLP, ignore the thread and move on" camp.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
YouTubers are people who need the attention to survive and whose deplatforming or ignoring of can have legitimate affect on.

The Lincoln Project is going to exist without our attention, as well all politics.
There are tons of things that we don't platform here that will exist whether or not we're allowed to share or talk about them. This argument falls apart instantly.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
There are tons of things that we don't platform here that will exist whether or not we're allowed to share or talk about them. This argument falls apart instantly.
Colin Moriarty famously stopped being a thing once he was no longer spoken of on resertera.

I think its worth the risk of creating a 'less openly racist' republican party to gain control of both houses in 2020.
WHAT? No. Wtf. Having a republican party do the same shit as Trump but not be blatant about it is way worse. Trump being a fucking moron who says this shit out loud is far better than having well mannered, competent shit heads running the republican party.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
main-qimg-ed384ff724d8ad21c858c703cf4eff91
Came in here to post this.

Fuck the Lincoln Project, but the infighting is still excellent for the rest of us.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
This is how I feel too. We've had multiple threads on this and they just seem to be the same people arguing over and over again. Those of us who like what they're doing right now like what they're doing right now, and those who don't, well, don't. It's pretty clear at this point that nobody's opinion on them is going to change, especially since the same arguments get brought up again and again.

There was actually a good article about the Project in the Times or the Post, but I didn't post it since Staff posts and I felt everyone had enough of TLP. But I guess was wrong.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Some of y'all would stan for David duke if he was against trump

Speaking of...
David Duke actually ran on the Republican ticket for governor of Louisiana. This is the party that TLP supports and wants to bring back. Not sure how it's a straw man at all!

Speely

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This is how I feel too. We've had multiple threads on this and they just seem to be the same people arguing over and over again. Those of us who like what they're doing right now like what they're doing right now, and those who don't, well, don't. It's pretty clear at this point that nobody's opinion on them is going to change, especially since the same arguments get brought up again and again.
Well, it's no good to just call it a day because it seems difficult. Real change often doesn't happen easily, or via polite, nuanced discourse.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Even this article goes into Republicans voters possibly switching mainly for the aspect of Trump "defiling" the office. So if he's out we also have to assume they won't just go back to voting Republican?
Well, that's sort of the thing. They switched because Trump's politics weren't acceptable to them - but do we think the party writ large is actually going to be able to abandon Trumpian politics? Like, there's already buzz about Tucker fuckin' Carlson running in 2024.

I don't think they're good people, really. I just don't know exactly how they're going to move after Trump. Some of 'em will go back to Republicans (or even Trump himself this year), others will stay out of pure inertia or because, hey, they actually got more woke, and the rest... dunno.

grand

Oct 25, 2017
I never said anything about banning, but given the people and organizations we DO ban here, this seems like an incredibly hilariously misguided one to keep open for discussion given its intent and purpose. Like an organization run by a rampant racist attempting to white wash the history of the republican party by throwing trump under the bus is pretty fucking awful-especially when posters here are donating to it.

And you can call it whatever you want. I just was letting you know were not all on the same team. And a lot of people in here will tell you the same thing.
The Lincoln Project isn't going to go away before election day. And stopping discussion of them on the forum isn't going to stop them from being a regular news item (their focus on making troll ads focused on the DC area guarantees that). So what's the focus on deplatforming? If you deplatform The Lincoln Party, you should deplatform Trump & the Republican Party at that point. All of which are impossible. They are a constant evil that can't be wished away by ignoring it.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
The Lincoln Project isn't going to go away before election day. And stopping discussion of them on the forum isn't going to stop them from being a regular news item (their focus on making troll ads focused on the DC area guarantees that). So what's the focus on deplatforming? If you deplatform The Lincoln Party, you should deplatform Trump & the Republican Party at that point. All of which are impossible. They are a constant evil that can't be wished away by ignoring it.
Trump and the Republican party don't gain revenue when articles about them are shared.

TLP does get revenue when their videos are watched and shared.

pantsattack

Oct 25, 2017
Don't share their stuff. If someone likes them on Facebook they'll get the feed of ads from them once they go to the "good" Republicans are back message, etc.

Ketkat

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I literally have not seen TLP be a news item outside of this forum and reddit where people are more interested in laughing at Trump than they are considering the impact boosting these people has on minorities. We want it banned because watching people ignore blatant harmful bigotry for the millionth time is exhausting and shows how little we actually factor into these so called allies decisions.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
The difference is that talking about Trump on Era doesn't make him any more President than he already is. His actions and words are newsworthy and worth discussing. (Usually, that is. But I think that's a discussion for another day...)

In contrast, sharing TLP ads on this site and increasing their view count on social media directly and actively contributes to making them a greater threat in the future. This part is a huge disconnect that I don't see enough people acknowledging. I realize most people here aren't being swayed into believing Republican nonsense. I realize most people here aren't donating money to them. But so many people are either not thinking about or simply don't care that engaging with their social media content, even through a simple view of a YouTube video, helps them.

I also don't think discussion about TLP should be banned because I think there is interesting and fruitful conversation to be had that is far-reaching and applies to so much more than just Rick Wilson and his cronies. But I don't think it is a good idea for us to be sharing links to their ads or embedding them here. And I'm glad for the step that was taken to not allow new threads for each of their ads. That's a move in the right direction.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Ok cool so we should allow discussion here from any person or platform since they continue to exist regardless of whether or not theyre banned here, yeah? We cool with opening up a colin moriarty OT? We cool with opening up a republican politics OT? How about we do our version of the donald here. I mean, Trump isn't going away so might as well. /s

You can't ignore that even if its just giving these videos views, youre directly contributing to its further dissemination among the public given how youtube algorithms work. More views = more money = more influence to spread this propaganda within the public consciousness. No, banning it here wouldn't make it go away-it merely would just not contribute to that existence. Which is something were currently doing by posting this shit here every week.

Dhx

Sep 27, 2019
David Duke actually ran on the Republican ticket for governor of Louisiana. This is the party that TLP supports and wants to bring back. Not sure how it's a straw man at all!

Sigh. Let me assure you that I'm well informed on the history of David Duke going all the way back to LSU. The straw man is that anyone posting in this thread would "stan for" David fucking Duke in any context.

As an aside, association fallacies aren't very productive either.

Ketkat

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sigh. Let me assure you that I'm well informed on the history of David Duke going all the way back to LSU. The straw man is that anyone posting in this thread would "stan for" David fucking Duke in any context.

As an aside, association fallacies aren't very productive either.

People would certainly cheer for a David Duke ad tearing into Trump. Its not like the history of these people has stopped them yet

Ketkat

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Posters in this thread? You're serious?

Have you been in any of these threads and read the justifications? Ive seen multiple people say it does not matter what these people have done in the past or what they will do in the future, Trump is all that matters. So yes, I do believe that would extend to him as these people are already pretty bad

May 29, 2019

TLP could be useful if it draws moderate Republicans and whomever else that need someone with an 'R' to say "Trump's bad. Vote for this other person." If there is a thread for TLP, keep their info up-to-date there. Simply having one of their founders being outed as glorifying confederate symbolism should make a difference in how willing progressives are to share their information going forward.

I have right-leaning friends and family. Almost all of them have told me about the lincoln project and I didnt send a single video. At this point, they know what they're about and can spread the message through their conservative networks.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Posters in this thread? You're serious?
Youre arguing this in a thread about the lincoln project, whose goal is very much aligned with david duke (were talking a difference of degrees). So idk why youre so taken aback by that comment. Were seeing it play out in real-time in these threads.

Speely

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Youre arguing this in a thread about the lincoln project, whose goal is very much aligned with david duke (were talking a difference of degrees). So idk why youre so taken aback by that comment. Were seeing it play out in real-time in these threads.
This. The distance between their views is small, and comprised of presentation rather than intent.

Oct 25, 2017
You are being duped, which is precisely the point that so many of us are trying to get across by saying these guys are dangerous and we shouldn't be platforming them. They have no soul. They believe everything Trump believes, they just think he's an idiot who is making their rancid beliefs look bad by being the moron that he is. They would rather spew hate eloquently than say it with dumb-dumb words.

All the people repeating the same tired "the enemy of my enemy" nonsense think they are smarter than TLP and giving them and their ads the time of day proves that they're not smarter at all.
No, I know quite well who they are. Rick Wilson has a nasty history, as does Bill Kristol of Republican Voters Against Trump. And both are neocons.

But on some level, someones' internal thoughts, while important, are, for a political action group like they are running, arguably not as immediately important as their actions are. And their actions right now support everything we Democrats want -- to have Biden win the presidency in November, to win the Senate back for the Democrats, to turn out the Trump supporters from Congress, to support racial justice...

Yes, because of their history we should not just take their good words at face value, but what they are doing right now is a clear positive.

In total sincerity, can you explain why it makes sense that we have banned sharing anything by someone like Angry Joe, while we are okay with lauding the videos put out by TLP which are made by people who have arguably contributed to actual war crimes? Is the "good work" they are doing, which you admit might not even be necessary, worth any amount of signal boost we give them?
Current actions matter. And currently the Lincoln Project people are not doing or saying the awful stuff they did in the past. Of course they may be thinking it, and wishing for the days to return where they could wield the influence they used to have and run awful campaigns like Rick Wilson's horrendous smear of Max Cleland in 2002, but right now they are doing the opposite of that and are actively boosting good causes like racial justice and anti-fascism, along with many Democrats.

I understand why some here want to ban them because of their past actions, but I would hope that because of the experience of the Trump Administration, their previously solid Republican base will start to question their past beliefs and not only vote Democratic once, but stick with our party. Here's hoping.

And if not, if they do turn on us in the future as they indeed well could? Well, I will be glad that hopefully few Democrats contributed to those groups. Because seriously, don't give them money. Let dissafected Republicans give them money instead.

Last edited:

Shroki

Oct 27, 2017
David Duke would never successfully gain traction in the way TLP did for the simple reason that everybody immediately knows of Duke and his history with the Klan. The worst thing you'd see is people saying shit like "EVEN David Duke thinks Trump is an asshole". You wouldn't see the large scale signal boost that the TLP has gotten from posters on this board, or from celebrities like Mark Hamill on twitter, because Duke immediately represents what Trump already is.

You can say Rick Wilson does as well and here are the receipts, but many people are seeing this shit for the first time. Like nobody knew who Rick Wilson was before Rick Wilson was the conservative never-Trumper voice in the room. You can GUESS that a career Republican is an asshole, but if your first priority is to end this insane administration and you see these viral attack ads and tweets pulling right-wing votes away from Trump, it's understandable that you'd see that as an useful ally to that end.

It's also super important that we let it be known high and wide that Wilson and The Lincoln Project are no allies to progressive causes. I don't endorse them in any way beyond the fact that I think it is more important to prevent a second Trump term than, well, literally anything else.

Oct 26, 2017
They're Republicans, this is a surprise to no one.

Also, we seriously comparing the former Grand Wizard of the KKK to some moderate Republicans?