• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Type VII

Oct 31, 2017
Just finished it, with
only Jacob ending up properly alive - there were a couple of others who lived, but were infected. Only really frustrated with being too slow to shoot Caleb with Kaitlyn and being too curious about Silas instead of just filling him with bullets. That and having Abi die early on.

I've loved all of the Supermassive games in this ilk and honestly, as long as the horror themes continue and I'm given meaningful choices to make I'm happy for them to keep coming.

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
Ranking the Supermassive horror games:

1) Until Dawn - still the king. Nothing comes close to the horror, action, and tension here.
2) House of Ashes - just under Until Dawn for me. I think the overall story here is by far the best they've done, and where it goes was very unexpected for me.
3) The Quarry - The best part of the game here is the cast - I really think I would have been happier seeing them stay at the bonfire all night than engage in the horror at all. I don't think the game really succeeds from a survival horror or an action horror standpoint. It lacks the extensive and tense action sequences of Until Dawn and the overall horror story was pretty bland at best.

Vault Boy

Nov 2, 2017
Can I go back to previous Chapters and still get achievements for making different (hopefully better) decisions, or are they like tied to individual playthroughs?

I definitely want to do full replays at some point, but also want to jump in at like Chapter 9 onwards to see if I can pick different choices and watch things unfold.
After you complete a playthrough you can do chapter select on that save file, but it overwrites the completed save so you can't do chapter select again until you finish the game again.

The Dark Pictures games handled this better. You can do chapter select on a completed save and create a new save file for the new (partial) game, so it allowed for a lot more exploration of story branches.

OP
OP
Angie

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona

1) Until Dawn - still the king. Nothing comes close to the horror, action, and tension here.
2) House of Ashes - just under Until Dawn for me. I think the overall story here is by far the best they've done, and where it goes was very unexpected for me.
3) The Quarry - The best part of the game here is the cast - I really think I would have been happier seeing them stay at the bonfire all night than engage in the horror at all. I don't think the game really succeeds from a survival horror or an action horror standpoint. It lacks the extensive and tense action sequences of Until Dawn and the overall horror story was pretty bland at best.
I can agree with this ranking.

I still think Until Dawn did horror the best in all of their games.
It was always creepy and the jump scares were really intense lol

Zor

Oct 30, 2017

I'd go:

1) Until Dawn (I just love how consistently subversive and ambitious its storytelling is)
2) The Quarry (Good pacing, great cast, but not scary and the overall story is just okay)
3) House of Ashes (I absolutely love the second half, Salim is my boy, but the first half is a slog)
4) Little Hope (Might have honestly put this above Ashes if the ending wasn't so frigging atrocious)
5) Man of Medan (It's "fine", but after Until Dawn just being "fine" ain't "good" enough)

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
The Quarry > Until Dawn IMO (though it's a reasonably close ranking). I've only played Man of Medan of the Dark Anthology so far and it's "fine" but not a patch on The Quarry or Until Dawn.

Last edited:

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
1. The Quarry - it's all about the characters to me. Acting is better, character writing is better, across the board the characterization is just stronger.
2. Until Dawn - the originator - still good, but its limitations are very clear now that we've seen the other games SM made. A LOT of the characters are unlikeable as hell.
3. House of Ashes - Salim is the best, most of the other protagonists are jerks. The monster is silly.
4-5. the rest - I don't really think MoM or LH live up to either Until Dawn or TQ, and HoA was the first sign of Supermassive getting their "groove back", so to speak.

Trigger

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA
The ending drags The Quarry down for me. I still prefer Until Dawn more for it's length and overall plot even if I liked The Quarry's cast more.

Oct 25, 2017
The void
Chapter 10 and onwards were completely AWFUL to me. Credits were awful. I wanted to turn the game off at least 5 times during it. Ending was not great at all.

beau_beaumont

Nov 12, 2017
The visuals are pretty insane (played on a PS5). The first time you see Ted Raimi's character it looked almost photorealistic. I can't wait to see what they do with UE5.

Oct 27, 2017
Chapters 1-9 are amazing stuff, but the finale was a little underwhelming.

The frame device of the old lady never added much to my playthrough and I wish I could have skipped these sequences (but I had similar gripes with Until Dawn's version of this). It is frustrating that at least one character dies at the end if you don't break into the cabin at the beginning of the game. Having to play through an entire string of QTEs to get to a binary choice of deaths (run/freezer) wasn't fun. Also, the endings for the cop felt kinda weak considering how awful of a human being he is.

All that said, I still liked this more than Until Dawn. This has better character performances, leaned into campier elements of the genre, and the brisk pace kept things moving. With Telltale gone it's nice to see games like this still being made.

Credits
This podcast is *insufferable* and it just goes on forever.
Holy shit this. Making this unskippable is easily the most horrific thing in the game.

Last edited:

pjl93

Jun 2, 2020
NJ
I'm looking to pick this on a sale is there any good reason to get the ps5 version over ps4 the extra $10 is annoying but I might bite if it has solid haptics

Nightwing123

Oct 27, 2017
After doing the other choices I definitely think The Quarry is better than Until Dawn. Stronger characters, choices, and writing. I like that the other characters still had stufg to do when they survived a potential death unlike Matt, Ashley, and Chris who sadly just became irrelevant in Until Dawn.I just wished it had a better ending and it would have been perfect.

Jokerman

May 16, 2020
When people say the ending is bad, do they just mean on their playthrough as it has to change dynamically depending on who is still alive surely? There can't be just one ending?

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
When people say the ending is bad, do they just mean on their playthrough as it has to change dynamically depending on who is still alive surely? There can't be just one ending?

I think people are mostly talking about the abrupt 'and here is what happened to everyone' screen at the end. It kind of doesn't feel like there is really a solid ending regardless of how it ends and who survives.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Chapters 1-9 are amazing stuff, but the finale was a little underwhelming.

The frame device of the old lady never added much to my playthrough and I wish I could have skipped these sequences (but I had similar gripes with Until Dawn's version of this). It is frustrating that at least one character dies at the end if you don't break into the cabin at the beginning of the game. Having to play through an entire string of QTEs to get to a binary choice of deaths (run/freezer) wasn't fun. Also, the endings for the cop felt kinda weak considering how awful of a human being he is.

All that said, I still liked this more than Until Dawn. This has better character performances, leaned into campier elements of the genre, and the brisk pace kept things moving. With Telltale gone it's nice to see games like this still being made.

Holy shit this. Making this unskippable is easily the most horrific thing in the game.

Important endgame note:

There actually is a way to save everyone even if you don't break into the cabin. If you get the silver shotgun shells from the storm cellar as Abigail and bring them up to the surveillance room, Kaitlyn can shoot Caleb without having to go to the freezer. I got both her and Dylan out safely.

Jan 6, 2019
After doing the other choices I definitely think The Quarry is better than Until Dawn. Stronger characters, choices, and writing. I like that the other characters still had stufg to do when they survived a potential death unlike Matt, Ashley, and Chris who sadly just became irrelevant in Until Dawn.I just wished it had a better ending and it would have been perfect.
You could take out Jacob, Emma, Nick and Abbi and the plot would work just fine. They really don't do much. Heck, Kaitlyn is absent from large chunks of the game til she goes on her "Finn and Rose's maguffin quest" last jedi style.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
You could take out Jacob, Emma, Nick and Abbi and the plot would work just fine. They really don't do much. Heck, Kaitlyn is absent from large chunks of the game til she goes on her "Finn and Rose's maguffin quest" last jedi style.

Jacob is like the single reason everything happens, you remove him and everyone leaves camp as they were supposed to and nobody is in danger.

well except Kaylee, she's presumably still screwed

beelulzebub

Oct 25, 2017
Dude. No fucking way. I have never been so fucking pissed over a trophy that didn't pop.

I threaded the needle and infected everyone with everyone still surviving late into chapter 9 and fucking nothing. Max, Laura, and Nick obviously, but Abi got bit pursuing Nick when he was attacked, Emma got bit in the treehouse, Jacob threw dirt in the hunters face and got bit, Dylan got bit and I DID NOT chop off his arm, Ryan accepted Laura's bite, and Kaitlin got bit in the junkyard. Again, all characters are STILL ALIVE. This all should register.

What the fucking fuck dude.

Fucking goddammit. This was so hard to do.

Last edited:

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
Dude. No fucking way. I have never been so fucking pissed over a trophy that didn't pop.

I threaded the needle and infected everyone with everyone still surviving late into chapter 9 and fucking nothing. Max, Laura, and Nick obviously, but Abi got bit pursuing Nick when he was attacked, Emma got bit in the treehouse, Jacob threw dirt in the hunters face and got bit, Dylan got bit and I DID NOT chop off his arm, Ryan accepted Laura's bite, and Kaitlin got bit in the junkyard. Again, all characters are STILL ALIVE. This all should register.

What the fucking fuck dude.

Fucking goddammit. This was so hard to do.

So have you not finished that playthrough? Because it might have to register all of them as survived and infected in the ending for it to pop. I don't know for sure, but that's my guess

beelulzebub

Oct 25, 2017
So have you not finished that playthrough? Because it might have to register all of them as survived and infected in the ending for it to pop. I don't know for sure, but that's my guess
I had to follow a guide for some of it because getting Emma infected without killing her burned through my lives, but per that guide it's supposed to pop when Kaitlin is infected, as she's the last one.

Abi is the only one to show zero signs of changing even though her neck got bit, chunks came out, and she had a visible flesh wound on her neck throughout the game afterward. Kaitlin in chapter 10 is clearly about to turn and Abi looks fine. So this is likely a case of not following a guide super strictly even though I got the desired result of her getting bit when she was supposed to, during that encounter when Nick gets bit.

My experience leading up to choosing my platform and then while playing this game has been defined by bugs and/or poor PC performance. I keep trying to engage this game on its own terms and it keeps disappointing me because of its technical failings.

Edit: Ok yeah I'm done.
Even though Abi survived, the chance to grab that silver bullet from her, which I saw Laura make for her in the pool house this run, never triggered. So I never got a chance to kill Caleb. Abi made it to the security room, I saw her in there. Maybe I could've had I followed
The Final Girl strategy maybe? But she's not the final girl. Everyone was still alive.
. And this next one is my own fault but the
Keepsakes
plot line is VERY IMPORTANT if both Emma and Jacob are alive and infected. That one is my fault, but it's added salt in the wound with what was a shitty buggy hand I was dealt for an 8 hour playthrough.
I was on track to get everyone to be infected, live, and kill all Hacketts. Two of those failing weren't my fault as far as I can see, but all three failed. I wasted my time.

Hot take: gimme more Dark Pictures. They're better than this jank.

I was vibing and splurged and got the digital deluxe upgrade because I was digging this so much just a couple hours ago. Not because I needed to, felt like adding a tip on top. Was just $15 but man I have profound buyer's remorse over that one. A bug involving
Abi
completely railroaded an entire run and I didn't know until the final chapter.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Important endgame note:

There actually is a way to save everyone even if you don't break into the cabin. If you get the silver shotgun shells from the storm cellar as Abigail and bring them up to the surveillance room, Kaitlyn can shoot Caleb without having to go to the freezer. I got both her and Dylan out safely.
Ah. I guess I just suck then.
Abi had already died thanks to the really quick shooting cue after one of the monsters got released from the car.

SuperOctopus

Apr 22, 2020
Finally finished the game yesterday after taking my time and I really really enjoyed it! I would rate it just behind Until Dawn as Until Dawn has a more memorable cast to me with a slightly scarier/creepier atmosphere. The production here was top notch and I really enjoyed the performance from everyone!
I got 3 deaths in my playthrough: Abigail killed by Nick, Laura killed Nick in his cage (I didn't even make the connection it was him to be honest) and Kaitlyn as I missed the shotgun shot against Caleb. I was a little pissed at Kaitlyn's death as I thought I could have avoided it but the other deaths are fair.

Overall, contrary to some opinions here, I like how the ending rounded up everything in the last chapter with Eliza. I felt it was definitely fine and made sense with the rest of the story. The end with Silas could have led to a fun showdown as they tease it as a big adversary that was untouchable for years but it just ended like this.

I also detested then enjoyed something that happened in my playthrough. Very very early in the game, Bobby bloodied Jacob and I was like "Oh, they just want to help! They are not here to kill them and it's to fight the werewolfs!" And so every time the characters were chased by Bobby in my playthrough, I was like "Well, I'm not scared. If they get caught by Bobby, he'll just bloody them and everybody will survive". Because of that, there was no tension for me in these chase scenes for most of the game. And then, Laura comes back and it turned everything around as we get into murder mode for everyone. Because of that change, it made Bobby and the other scarier which definitely improve the later parts of the game for me.

demi

Oct 27, 2017
So who can we signal boost at 2K/Supermassive to get the "Hard Pass" trophy/achievement fixed

StraySheep

Oct 26, 2017
How horny is this game? Maybe compared to Until Dawn? Want to play with my younger catholic brother but don't want to deal with it being too over the top

TrueSloth

Oct 27, 2017
I think I prefer The Quarry more than Until Dawn.
It felt more cohesive and focused on various situational tension around the creature rather than tricking the player into thinking there are many different kinds of horrors they could experience. Until Dawn felt like a shotgun approach to horror and The Quarry seemed to have a goal in mind. That being said, some parts dragged a little, like the whole expositional chapter with Lauren. Otherwise, I had fun with it. And it feels like it has stronger branching choices than Until Dawn.

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
I keep seeing people referring to the Kaitlyn and Dylan expedition as a waste of time but I think I'm missing something...

You get to take out one of the werewolves there, and it's also a kickass scene with Dylan manning the machine. Like... what am I missing here that makes it bad?

demi

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, is it bugged or something? The trophy guide I looked at said they don't even know how to get it.

100% broken. People are playing the game over and over trying to think it has some weird specific unlock but it's pretty obvious how to unlock it lol. It is bugged. Some people *somehow* unlocked it (like maybe 10 in the whole world) and nobody can replicate it.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I keep seeing people referring to the Kaitlyn and Dylan expedition as a waste of time but I think I'm missing something...

You get to take out one of the werewolves there, and it's also a kickass scene with Dylan manning the machine. Like... what am I missing here that makes it bad?

Yeah, I thought it was a fun scene. It doesn't progress the plot hugely but it's a great series of character moments for K and D (especially D, who didn't get a lot of them).

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
Thoughts on cut/altered content, full spoilers:
Anyone else wondering if the werewolves were originally supposed to have fur, but it had to get cut for technical reasons? They keep referring to Silas as the "white wolf" when he looks exactly the same as the other monsters. Ryan tells Laura he saw the White Wolf at the cabins.. but it just looks like a regular monster.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Thoughts on cut/altered content, full spoilers:
Anyone else wondering if the werewolves were originally supposed to have fur, but it had to get cut for technical reasons? They keep referring to Silas as the "white wolf" when he looks exactly the same as the other monsters. Ryan tells Laura he saw the White Wolf at the cabins.. but it just looks like a regular monster.

I had the same thought, yeah. It kinda seems like they couldn't get the fur tech working without potentially tanking the performance so they made them look "fleshier". The game does point out that they do have some fur, though, it's just hard to make out because of the lack of extreme closeups. Silas is also notably paler than the other werewolves.

beau_beaumont

Nov 12, 2017
100% broken. People are playing the game over and over trying to think it has some weird specific unlock but it's pretty obvious how to unlock it lol. It is bugged. Some people *somehow* unlocked it (like maybe 10 in the whole world) and nobody can replicate it.

That's frustrating. I wanted to go for the platinum but I might wait for it now

demi

Oct 27, 2017
Chapter 1

Jacob: Kaitlyn, if I wanted to break this car, how would I do that?

Kaitlyn: You would specifically do this and this

Jacob: Interesting. Ok.

Minutes later...

Jacob/Hackett: Wow, the car doesn't suddenly work. How strange

Kaitlyn: Wow that IS weird, why would the car that Jacob and I just talked about suddenly break? Oh well. I certainly wouldn't know how that would happen.

Some stuff in this game is just... what

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada

I loved it.

Gives Dylan a chance to be competent and have some agency, and I liked Kaitlyn and Dylan comiserating about Ryan and being friendly on their own terms.

Plus the music reminded me of the stage setpiece in Alan Wake. It's a good big metal setpiece to blow off some steam near the end of the game.

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
I just don't think it adds much to the plot besides the character moments. Especially considering the full plot of the game.

It definitely doesn't add to the plot, I agree, but I still think it's a great sequence and seeing them work together (if you nail it of course) is great.

The Quarry's plot is one of my least favourite things about it to be honest.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
I somehow missed it during my playthrough - is it ever explained where the blood the hunters use comes from, and what exactly it does?