• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

$4.99?

• It’s four bucks

Votes: 21 2.7%
  • It’s four ninety-nine

Votes: 87 11.3%
  • It’s 5 dollars

Votes: 661 86.0%

• Total voters

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
One of my dreams is to become god emperor to force every consumer good to be sold on whole dollar increments and no 49/95/99 bullshit of any kind and only on 25 cent increments if it's below $10. I'm just happy I don't need to deal with cash 95% of the time anymore and don't have to worry about loose change. I hate nickels, dimes and pennies.

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
I feel like I will round up for the most part but sometimes i'll round down if it's to justify a bad purchase.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it's easy to say exactly the ideal way of thinking about price tags when you're in a forum topic about it but the point is if you're looking at these day in and day out it's easy to get tripped up once in a while.
Idk, I round up nearly everything. Distance, movie run times, train commute estimated duration, price, etc. Provides a buffer if needed.

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it's easy to say exactly the ideal way of thinking about price tags when you're in a forum topic about it but the point is if you're looking at these day in and day out it's easy to get tripped up once in a while.
I am more just wondering why this works than saying people should get better at it or anything

i tend to always round up though. I don't think I've everrounded something with .99 down to the base number.

even with .49 I round up to the next dollar

Mr. X

Oct 25, 2017
My mental math is wired in my brain to round up and subtract how much I rounded up if necessary later.

pestul

Oct 25, 2017
I see $5 but it works on my wife and mother all the time. They would see $4. Brilliant strategy.

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
i saw an advert the other day for a car at £29,995

seriously wtf?

it's really £30,000 but oh i'm saving £5 so it's basically £29,000!

QuadOpto

Nov 7, 2017
I don't really get it myself, but can see the science of why some people fall for it. It's only for the purpose of attraction, isn't it? At the end of the day the customer is still handing over 5 dollars for a 4.99 purchase, so I'm sure they'd realize at some point that they're paying virtually $5 for something.

It seems like deals in general work more on people I know, including me. Seeing a slash with a big percentage decrease below it and a reduced price do screwy things to my head.

t26

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The psychology of gift cards is worse, in my opinion.

Oh, if I buy this game, I get a $10 gift card, so this $50 game is basically only $40 bucks. Sweet deal.

1 month later:

Oh, this game is $50, but I have a $10 gift card, so it's really just $40 bucks for me.

I've effectively psychologically double dipped into my own gift card. I've attributed the savings of it both to the initial purchase, and the actual event I use the card.
I mean you see it all the time on this forum too, people only look at how much they pay out of pocket when they used a gift card or reward certificate.

手加減 TG

Dec 11, 2019
Weirdly Japan doesn't seem to use the .99 in their pricing, it's all about the 80.

2980yen
4980yen
9980yen

I've never found out why they are such popular digits. These shops are losing out on 19 yen per item!

And yes, I do read the above as 18000yen.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I like how almost everyone's response is, "yeah, this works, but not on me." If that were true, they wouldn't do it.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
If it's a £399 item I read it as £399 as I can probably find something to put that £1 extra towards like Milk to drink in the future.

If it's a £3.99 I read it as £4. Not much I can buy for a penny and unless you are specifically going to the bank who's going to be carrying 100 pennies on hand with them.

Deleted member 9972

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
On eBay I would always list at $XX.80. I felt like 8 is such a happy number that it would cause people to round down. I have no science to back this assertion, but I'd like to think I've made $2-3 over my lifetime by relying on this devious tactic.

Kurita

Oct 26, 2017
La France
Weirdly Japan doesn't seem to use the .99 in their pricing, it's all about the 80.

2980yen
4980yen
9980yen

I've never found out why they are such popular digits. These shops are losing out on 19 yen per item!

And yes, I do read the above as 18000yen.
I looked it up, and one of the big factors is that 198 (Ichi kyu ppa) sounds good to the ear, better than 199 (Ichi kyu kyu).

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
Fortunately it never worked on me, but i know it defintiely works with a lot of people, it's crazy!

Here we don't have less than 0.05, so price are like 4.95, 9.95, and so on

SpecX

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Worked on me as a kid and shortly after high school. Now I round up, but I'll admit seeing $299 will catch my attention as a deal at first vs seeing $300 or $349.

Cokie Bear

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I round up on everything. If I'm shopping and something costs £1.10 I'll mentally count it as £2

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
When I was growing up, a friend's parents worked for door to door catalogue sales (you could do this before Amazon, lol). The company rounded up the .99s by a penny as an experiment at one point and the sales absolutely tanked.

So yeah, humans are weirdly easily manipulated.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
My girlfriend is the type of person that reads '8.99' as '8'. Fucking hell. She is also the one that doesnt check the grams displayed in the price and in the item, it is common for her to grab something "super cheap" when in fact she just looked at the wrong price (looked at the price of a similar item with less grams). It is a nightmare to go grocery shopping with her, but I still enjoy it somehow.

It's especially effective when you're adding things things up

At a glance that looks like it would be easily less than $10, but it's almost $12
Yup, grocery shopping is like that. I always think of 1.99 as 2, but then after I pay the bill I always think I am paying too much and then proceed to check... then at first I am absolutely sure that there is something wrong (just a quick look at the numbers), and then when I pay more attention I realize everything is fine.

SeeingeyeDug

Oct 28, 2017
Taxes being added to the list price is BS as well. In Many other countries the price listed is after taxes are applied.

Walk up to the counter in the U.S. with a dollar bill trying to buy something that costs $0.99 and you won't have enough.

lt519

Oct 25, 2017
If anyone wants to read more about behavioral economics and things like price anchoring they should read Predictably Irrational by Dan Ariely.

He goes through a ton of cases of how marketing uses multiple options (tiered services), free options to manipulate the mind, and price anchoring to extract more money from consumers. It's all fascinating.

The one thing that got me was the simple Price Anchoring thought exercise. If you were to go to a car lot and buy a car for $20,000 and a block down the road they were selling the same car for $19,990 you'd probably say 'not worth it' but if you were buying a pen for $20 and it was $10 down the road you'd get your ass in the car and go save $10.

Tiered options, like having 3 different memory sizes for an iPhone is a simple trick to make the consumer feel better about buying the lower tier and anchroing them to a price. "Well at least I'm not buying the most expensive option," forgetting that the "cheap" option is still bad value. As a product line, if you only have one option, consumers don't have a sense of value and whether the value is appropriate or not. They begin to question it and may walk away altogether. By offering an inferior version or a super luxury version you are giving people something to compare to, they just forget it is relative.

Companies that offer deals like "Online only $19.99", "Print Only $24.99", "Bundle Deal! Online & Print $24.99" people just completely forget that they don't even want the print edition but they perceive they are getting more value and end up spending more.

We all think we are smarter than this, but we constantly still fail to recognize it's happening all the time. When planning for my wedding the price anchoring part hit home really bad. We way over spent on a ton of stuff that at the time seemed trivial because other big ticket items were involved. Same with purchasing a car.

"The researchers," McRaney explains, "would hold up a bottle of wine, or a textbook, or a cordless trackball and describe in detail how awesome it was. Then, each student had to write down the last two digits of [his or her] social security number as if it was the price of the item. If the last two digits were 11, then the bottle of wine was priced at $11. If the two numbers were 88, the cordless trackball was $88. After they wrote down the pretend price, they bid.

"Sure enough, the anchoring effect scrambled their ability to judge the value of the items. People with high social security numbers paid up to 346 percent more than those with low numbers. People with numbers from 80 to 99 paid on average $26 for the trackball, while those with 00 to 19 paid around $9."

I love this shit.

source: Price Anchoring

Last edited:

Charizard

Oct 25, 2017
I witnessed this a lot when I worked at target as a cashier for 3 years. My brain hurt so much

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
There's a bakery near me that not only has round, sensible numbers they also include tax in the sticker price. I go out of my way to get baked stuff from there because of that.

Bakercat

Oct 27, 2017
'merica
Social psychology is a strong tool on people. The best way to not allow oneself to give in to these phenomena, is to know that they exist.

Technically with my psychology degree I could work for corporations to use techniques in advertising to get people to buy, but I never would feel comfortable to do the job. I got my degree and onwards to help people, not fool them into buying stuff.

Deer

Oct 29, 2017
Sweden
Taxes being added to the list price is BS as well. In Many other countries the price listed is after taxes are applied.

Walk up to the counter in the U.S. with a dollar bill trying to buy something that costs $0.99 and you won't have enough.
what in the gorgeous hell? ridiculous 😅 I would seriously protest about that. prices should be listed including tax and the tax amount listed. I thought this had become the standard.

and the amount of 'psychology doesn't work if you just round up' in this thread is weird. most people know how to round up, it can still affect you 😊