• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
On October 1st, 2009, Sony released the PSP Go to the befuddlement of people around the globe.

71vRLxkhY8L._SX679_.jpg

The last new model to be released worldwide, it was smaller and lighter than its predecessors, with 16GB of storage with the option to expand and Bluetooth, allowing you to hook up PS3 controllers. This in conjunction with the cradle that included Video Out basically let you dock it to the big screen.

But the elephant in the room was always that it didn't take physical media at all, due to UMD's being massive noisy unwieldy beasts. Instead you had to download everything via the PlayStation Store, and to this day there are plenty of key PSP titles that aren't available through that method.

The little thing never really hit its full potential, but Sony did try for what it's worth, with numerous bundles in 2010 and a discount. Alas, in 2011 it was discontinued in North America, and Sony shifted its attention to the PlayStation Vita.

Did you have a PSP Go? Do you even remember it? Was it weirdly prescient, as we enter an age where digital content becomes more and more popular?

MBS

Oct 25, 2017
Most bizzare handheld ever released. Smaller screen, no physical options, basically locking you out of many titles not available digitally. Only reason they came up with this was to limit PSP piracy at the time.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
As a legitimate device, it was pretty lacking with being digital only. But as a unit to hack with an additional older PSP to rip your own UMD's?
That little guy ended up being pretty cool and I still have mine with my favorite UMDs and PSN purchases.

Kamala

Sep 22, 2019
I remember disliking it due to the whole digital only thing, but now here I am only buying digital.

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
I remember seeing a PSP2000 and a PSP Go at 25€ at my local Blockbuster when it was liquidating everything. I bought the PSP 2000, but now I'm seeing the PSP Go claiming big prices on EBay.

I remember disliking it due to the whole digital only thing, but now here I am only buying digital.
Paradoxically, now you can't access PSN on a PSP anymore. The only way AFAIK is thru a Playstation 3 (THREE, not PS4) or a Windows PC. I bought Retro City Rampage when it came out on PSP and I went absolutely crazy on how to transfer it.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Still use mine on vacations lol. Amazing handheld though pretty uncomfortable to use for extended periods of time.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
The white PSP Go is so fucking nice looking. I think the white DS Lite is still the best looking handheld but the white PSP Go is seriously a strong contender.

img_2591.jpg

nbnt

Oct 26, 2017
Truly a device ahead of its time, the world was just not ready for such a machine. RIP in peace little fella.

Oct 27, 2017
One of my favorite systems ever. Such a lovely way to play lengthy rpgs. I finished so many of them thanks to the PSP Go alone. I still prefer it over the Vita and Switch at times when I want to travel light but still have some meaty games to play.

Peek-a-boo!

Oct 30, 2017
Woodbridge
One of those very few gaming related items that was ahead of its time.

Has a (fantastic) d-pad that actually works too...

I remember playing 'Lumines' on the PSP Go before I went to bed — best portable puzzle game ever!

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's crazy that 10 years ago they included 16gb and today Nintendo is including 32 only with the switch

Setzer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
PNW
One of my all-time favorite handhelds. I've been using mine for the past 10 years and while I've had to do some repairs(replace buttons, battery) it's still going strong.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
I'm still baffled as to why I bought one. The buttons are horrible, especially L1/R1.

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
I LOVED this thing! I never understood the hate for digital gaming though. I was on Steam with a new PC by this point, and loved the benefits digital provided. It seemed like a perfect fit for a handheld, where travelling light was a big selling point for a digital library. Loved the sliding form factor and the screen size. And the games were stunning for the time (Monster Hunter and Crisis Core blew me away especially). I also loved having a portable PlayStation One machine thanks to the huge back catalogue =D

Mine randomly broke when I plugged it into a public transport charger one day. Must have been a dodgy socket. I've never used them since =/

DrHercouet

May 25, 2018
France
Bought one for 50£, hacked the s*** out of it and turned it into my own personal early 90's videogames archive. I don't really play it, but whenever I read about an obscure GBC or NES game, or whenever I realize a studio I like did a game I never heard about on Genesis or Game Gear, I head to my PSP Go and try it. I really use it as my own illegal portable video game museum. Also, its design SCREAMS late 00's and I just dig this aesthetics.

Aniki

Oct 25, 2017
Great device i spent, and still spend many hours with. This thing is so small you can just tuck it anywhere. It took some time getting used to how to hold it comfortably, but after i figured that one out it was smooth gaming ever after.

Oct 30, 2017
loved it, though i refuse to believe anyone ever finished peace walker solo on one

Deleted member 4262

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's a cool little device but it felt extremely cramped in my hands, and the buttons were way too small/shallow due to the slider design. Bad ergonomics.

Vespa

Oct 26, 2017
To this day, I'm still confused why this model is MORE expensive than the normal PSP.

Probably because it lets you use a Dual Shock 3 with it.

The dock is rare and hilariously expensive and is one of only a few ways to power the machine whilst simultaneously getting video out of it due to Sony switching to an all in one port.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
PSP Go was kinda of a sign of how sony would treat Vita imo

Oct 27, 2017
I love it.

I keep it in my pocket because of the size and it always ends up being played. Outrun, Def Jam, Crazy Taxi, PS1/PSP games in general and a lot of emulated classic goodness.

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The buttons are maybe the worst ever put on a mainstream gaming device.

I'm cramping just looking at them.

Sep 15, 2019

I feel the same way though the differences now are:

A.) A platform didn't suddenly go all digital midway through a generation asking you to give up a lot to make the change.
B.) Platforms are better equipped to handle digital only to the point where more is available digitally than will ever be physically and if you stick to physical only you'll miss out on a huge chunk of the library.
C.) No proprietary memory formats being used artificially driving up the cost of storage making physical releases all the more appealing. Again we find ourselves in the opposite situation where you'll pay more for physical due to proprietary formats being used for physical storage (Switch tax).

Next generation I'm guessing many more people are gonna go digital only or digital primarily simply because it's easy, storage is cheap, and you can go that route straight out of the gate.

Fox1304

Oct 26, 2017
The OG JRPG Beast. So many good titles to play on this, wether it's native or emulated. Form factor is incredible.

Beamerball

Jan 16, 2018
Bought one as my first psp and was so disappointed that I couldn't buy games like LUMINES on it due to licensing

Sylmaron

Oct 28, 2017
Looks very much like the Sony Ericsson Playstation phone I had. Great little emulator thing that was.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
The 240p output and DS3 support for PS1 classics is still a fantastic feature. Love my Go for that.

Nickerous

Nov 2, 2017
Still have a black and white one...with matching cases. Never did get the dock, though. Walmart had a good many and I would look to see if they were discounted usually once a week back in 2011. One day, they were all gone.

yap

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
No digital release of Birth By Sleep killed my interest in this thing fast, I remember.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
I could have been interested in this for the form factor, but digital only? That's a No-Go.

Shalashaska

Prophet of Regret
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I loved my PSP Go, but mostly because I hacked it. Being able to carry all my UMD games as well as my PSN ones with me was amazing back when it came out. Definitely the best form factor the PSP had as well.

Nov 20, 2017
Once you got CFW on it, and lost all of the negatives, it was a really slick system and probably one of my favourite portables.

Flon

Is Here to Kill Chaos
Oct 27, 2017
I'm so sad that I sold my PSP Go. It was such a nice handheld and a perfect way to play PS1 games.

Lovely screen, form factor and a really nice d-pad too.

krae_man

Master of Balan Wonderworld
Oct 25, 2017
Device would have been a monster if:

A) They hadn't priced it at $250 at launch
B) didn't use a new proprietary more expensive memory card
C) priced the software better.

I love my PSP Go. I carried it with me every day until the button lock button broke due to overuse.

The suspend game feature the PSP Go had was amazing and 10 times better then what PS4 has now.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
In hindsight, should've gotten one, but wasn't super into PSOne game back then yet. Oh well...