• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

nillapuddin

Oct 25, 2017
image0_measure03.png
image0_measure02.png

Did some quick calculations
First pic is D4
Second is A4

I posted em before
These are my two estimates based on what size the paper is
I took your A4 guess and ran with it, I'm just on my phone at lunch but that's what I compiled

402 mm = 15.8 inches
310 mm = 12.2 inches

Edit: based on previous measurement attempts
Play-Station-5-Comparison.png

Which inferred the height to be 38 cm instead of this 40 cm, pretty close!

let's just say for sake of argument that all measurements across both variables use their nearest super round number

That still means
40 x 30 x 10 cm
15.75 x 12 x 4 inches

The implications of a unit with volume of that scale are pretty nuts

12000 cubic cm
756 cubic inches

versus XSX 432 cubic inches and 6750 cubic cm.

This is a large device in terms of mass

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
Reminds me of X360 faceplates. I've never dabbled in that stuff but hopefully this is what it means, as well as the ability to swap out the SSD like the PS4's HDD.

bob100

Oct 29, 2017
So if we completely take the faceplates off and stand it up will the PS5 have even more ventilation and be cooler? 😁

Krooner

Oct 27, 2017
The top plate maybe, but I doubt the bottom will be officially user replaceable, particularly if you have the disc drive model.

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
It may not make any difference to cooling, or at least nothing significant. If it's like PS4, it does not expose innards, there are still signicant plates, metal or plastic, in the way.

Parker

Feb 5, 2018
It would be very cool, but it could also just be the plates before they are secured to the machine.

Parker

Feb 5, 2018
It would be very cool, but it could also just be the plates before they are secured to the machine.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
I was wondering this as well, doesn't seem to be very "user friendly" to change, more like a PC case. But I honestly don't remember if the 360 faceplates changed easily, think I did it once

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
I was wondering this as well, doesn't seem to be very "user friendly" to change, more like a PC case. But I honestly don't remember if the 360 faceplates changed easily, think I did it once
Looks fairly easy to snap on/off. And all they need is for you to do it once as they can sell a custom plate for $20-$30 bucks, but it costs pennies to make. It can essentially be seen as extra profit on a good number of consoles sold, sort of like phone cases, I don't think they anticipate people to have dozens of these over time, but get a nice one they like and stick with it.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
Am I the only one that thinks all those hooks/connection points makes it less likely to be easily removed?

Or are all those little "spikes" something else?

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
Am I the only one that thinks all those hooks/connection points makes it less likely to be easily removed?

Or are all those little "spikes" something else?
They look like angled snap points distributed across the surface to provide spacing and support everywhere across the case, not just corners.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
So whenever there's a special edition of the PS5, Sony can also sell the plates to existing users instead of having to buy a whole new PS5? I'm in.

PSOreo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This was would be pretty great if it's true. If they release the exact dimensions before release day Etsy will be full of them. It's making me think the DualSense will be able to do this too..just remembering those gaps from the official shots.

KCroxtonJr

Oct 28, 2017
makes sense, considering they talked about being about being able to use standard M2 drives, gotta be able to easily get to the internals somehow!

sleepr

Banned for misusing pronouns feature
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Called it. Gonna say that the controller allows to swap "face plates" too.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Sweet. Ill plastidip mine so i can peel it off and switch it up whenever. Hello galaxy black holo flake.