• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
What people don't realize is that both Microsoft and Nintendo also can have similar patching process. But it is rarely used and is more similar to other delta patching like with Steam. It downloads some of the patch then download speeds crawl to a stop while it merges files in archives. Then it downloads some more and repeats this process. Unlike the PS4/5 which saves that for the very end. Fortnite is really the only game I've seen use this.

gothi

Prophet of Truth
Jun 23, 2020
Yes, I know for certain. It doesn't require the whole game as free space. I have made multiple threads ranting about it here in Era.
That be me adding to the confusion, the times I've investigated the free space required to install a patch on my PS4/PS5 it's always been in-line with the full game size, I wasn't aware it could be less as I've never seen it.

Fendajaz

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I feel you OP. There was a 300mb download for Deathloop which took seconds then took minutes to 'copy'. Ridiculous!

jsnepo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
That be me adding to the confusion, the times I've investigated the free space required to install a patch on my PS4/PS5 it's always been in-line with the full game size, I wasn't aware it could be less as I've never seen it.

And it doesn't matter if it's digital or disc based. From what I have checked before each segment is around 4GB. I know because I have managed a LANcache for PS4 updates before.

Edward850

Software & Netcode Engineer at Nightdive Studios
Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
It specifically is at an individual file level to stop seeks during a file read. That was the big thing he was pushing as a benefit of the SSD, no seek penalty, no need to recreate files in their entirety just to apply a tiny patch.
That seems to be the crux of the topic, and why I suspect it had nothing to do with fragmentation at all (or if it was, despite my reservation on its usefulness given you'd want all the games files in linear order which this wouldn't maintain, it was at least a secondary action). Because there's no journaling you still need to ensure data integrity, hence the patching method which is still there even on the SSD.

What people don't realize is that both Microsoft and Nintendo also can have similar patching process.
Xbox's patching seems to be random to me (seems to be based on the age of the xvd and the manifest rules used to build it?), but Nintendo's patching is different again from both of them, because of how the carts have to work. You simply download a kind of xdelta patch that's applied to the master ROM at run time. An update simply replaces that patch with the latest.

Sky87

Oct 27, 2017
Just got finished installing Miles Morales PS5 from the disc, whole thing took around 30 minutes. The majority was from installing disc>SSD, but the "copying..." part for the patch took around 10 minutes.

No reason this should still be this bad, patching games on PC and Xbox is *drastically* faster (there is no "copying..." part). Definitely something that needs to be addressed.