• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017
Initially I really loved the look of the PS5. It was striking and stood out a lot, especially compared to the Series X.

However the more I see it, the worse it begins to look.

PlayStation5-SKUs2.jpg

But what takes the cake is the fact it needs a stand to sit vertically and horizontally.

ps5-console-design-horizontal.jpg

The design of the disc version is particularly quite ugly, but the base being a necessary accessory to rest the console on pushes it into being outright bad design.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
I think it's fine. Many things need stands. That does not make them bad designs.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
My table needing a stand means it's bad design.

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I guess it depends on how sturdy the stand is, Id say it's too early to say tbh.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
Am I having deja vu? Didn't we have this thread like literally almost word for word not long ago? Or is this a copypasta?

Ukumio

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Australia
My biggest fear is that if I take it travelling or to a friends place that I'll misplace it somewhere in the journey and all of a sudden I have this machine that will either knock over easily (vertical) or just rock back and forth (horizontal). I understand needing a stand when vertical for stability reasons but needing a stand when horizontal is not great design imo.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
I disagree with that. I don't see the correlation between necessity of a stand and design quality.

Xbox Live Mike

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
USA
Somebody wanted it to look and be different, it is. Same thing as a Alienware tower it catches the eye vs a standard PC box.

SupremeWu

Banned
Dec 19, 2017
I haven't seen a direct comp but it seems that the vertical stand makes it almost as wide as the Series X but also much taller? I don't see the issues with the flat-stand, i'm sure it won't wobble like people are worried. If it does then lol.

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Why are people so bugged about a stand? TV's have em, other stuff... It's a small piece of plastic/glass/metal that provides stability, that's it.

MRORANGE

Nice thread btw :)
Oct 25, 2017
UK
The Nintendo Switch needing a stand means it's a bad design

It would have been bad design if it didn't have a dock. Imagine having to plug in hdmi, power and usb controllers every time you wanted to play it on TV. The stand for the Switch has a ergonomic functionality, the stand for the PS5 does not and seems like an after-thought.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
Huh, I just noticed that the stand for each console is different, and the console itself appears to rest in a "cutout" section in the middle of them.

In horizontal orientation, I wonder how you get the stand situated underneath it properly. Is there something it slots into? I can't imagine they'd mar one side of the console with something to slot the stand into.

Anyway, I don't think needing a stand in vertical orientation is a big deal (could just be to widen the base so it doesn't get knocked over easily), but needing it for horizontal orientation, and having it be this very noticeable circular plinth that it appears to sit on top of, is definitely an unorthodox design choice.

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
The digital version looks weird to me, that looks more like a router to me. Regular version looks more like a console to me. Really need to see them out in the wild tbh to get a good perspective, but so far I like them. I don't take any issue with the stand as long as it's included.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
We're seeing how the lower/higher clocked GPU is negatively effecting the console design. The thing must get so hot that they completely threw out decent design standards to keep it cool.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Of course it's an important topic. I mean, who knows how many hours we'll all be spending, pining away day after day gazing adoringly at our console.

I'll agree only so far as to say the XSX design is better because, as a simple black box, it's easier to ignore when I'm playing games.

BashNasty

Oct 30, 2017
I agree with OP. The switch comparison is absurd.

Can't wait for PS5, but the design is off.

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
It actually complements it really well for the vertical design. For all the fluff about it being "a centerpiece", having a platform is perfectly suited for this. But needing a stand when it's horizontal is so fucking dumb. Why they can't make the disc side flat beats me. Maybe it's for heat reasons idk

The Switch comparisons are stupidly petty. Nobody should have to explain why that doesn't count.

Tamerlane

Oct 27, 2017
I fail to see how requiring a stand makes it bad design. If computing performance was reduced or heat dissipation was affected I would agree but what metrics are you using to evaluate the design? Or is it just that you don't like it?

GarudaSmiles

Dec 14, 2018
My biggest fear is that if I take it travelling or to a friends place that I'll misplace it somewhere in the journey and all of a sudden I have this machine that will either knock over easily (vertical) or just rock back and forth (horizontal). I understand needing a stand when vertical for stability reasons but needing a stand when horizontal is not great design imo.
I can't imagine taking it traveling. The things the size of a refrigerator, and probably weighs similarly.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
Sony needs to release a video called "This is how you setup your PS5 without a stand" to get on top of this controversy. It's only going to get worse for them with every day that they remain silent. I've already cancelled my pre-order.

Status
Not open for further replies.