• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

tutomos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sony will make a lot more console/timed/exclusive deals with Japanese devs next gen. You are going to see a lot of high-profile games not releasing on Nintendo platform or Xbox at launch or at all.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I think the consequences of Playstation's diminishing popularity in Japan are going to be that a Playstation is no longer a must have console if you love Japanese 3rd party games. It will still get them of course, but a long running advantage of the Playstation brand was its 3rd party exclusives which seem to be dying now unless paid exclusivity is involved.

The low and mid budget part of the Japanese industry is shifting heavily to the Switch, with the AAA productions largely going multiplatform with Xbox and PC such as what we've been seeing from Sega and Bamco marketing in the run-up to Series X.

jackdoe

Oct 27, 2017
This argument is a bit disingenuous because the third party JP titles for the PS4 launch were practically inconsequential. Hell, look at PS4's Japanese launch lineup and how many copies they sold. The best seller was Knack at 300,000 units followed by a distant 80,000 units for Yakuza!

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
I thought TGS 2020 would announce some next-gen day 1 launch games, but...

Apparently not. : /

Mpl90

Oct 25, 2017
This argument is a bit disingenuous because the third party JP titles for the PS4 launch were practically inconsequential. Hell, look at PS4's Japanese launch lineup and how many copies they sold. The best seller was Knack at 300,000 units followed by a distant 80,000 units for Yakuza!

Knack was bundled with PS4 systems at launch in Japan.

OP
OP
Lelouch0612

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
The thing is right now, I don't see a game selling as well as Yakuza until maybe Resident Evil 8 ? PS4 also had Metal Gear soon after.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
Makes sense to me, Sony has been slowly focusing on the western market. All their big games are developed by western studios, and while they still have some deals with SE and other Japanese developers, they know that home consoles are slowly dying in Japan and that their best selling games in the west are developer by western studios.

Compared to the Ps2 days, now most AA Japanese games are released on PC, some big PS exclusives from the past are also on Xbox, and the Switch being by far the most succesful system on Japan makes lots of developers prioritize a Switch version.

Which I think is great, exclusives from 3rd parties are almost gone and we all benefit from this, and while Sony will pay for some timed deals, developers know that PC/Switch/Xbox versions means more money.

My real hope for PJ exclusive Japanese games is them using their studios there to develop something small and fresh (I hope it's far better than Gravity Rush though).

Oct 27, 2017
Sony launching in Japan alongside North America and ahead of Europe indicates that they still see it as an important territory.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
they know the will sell everything regardless because early adopters are the hardcore.

I'm not saying it will be the case for PS5, but Vita, Wii U and PS4 all plummeted in their second weeks. The issue with the PS5's lineup isn't necessarily right at launch but in general for that early period, the lack of anything retail from a Japanese third party is really just showing historically poor it is in comparison to past platforms.

Akainu

Unshakable Resolve
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Everywhere and nowhere

jfkgoblue

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's simple, in the past 5 years Sony has been slowly Americanizing the brand, Japan is a tertiary market at best for them and with them moving the company to the US, it's only become more clear that they no longer consider Japan to be their "home market". Like it or not, PlayStation is now a Western brand and Sony will continue to focus on the west.

Akainu

Unshakable Resolve
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Everywhere and nowhere

Maple-Rebel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 15, 2018
Demon Souls was originally developed by FromSoft and Studio Japan and the remaster also has Studio Japan taking a leading role.

I appreciate the concern and I'm not trying to be dismissive, but it's not exactly being honest either.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I get that. But that's not necessarily what that person said; they said "A lot of Sony's usual big exclusive games." I don't know what that means, because other than Horizon and Death Stranding...that's not the case?

Sony used to have a lot of core Japanese franchises as de facto exclusives on Playstation. Their consoles were basically THE place to go if you preferred Japanese games over Western ones, since Xbox has always prioritized the West as their primary target demographic since the beginning. That needle has slowly shifted down to zero starting with Metal Gear, Devil May Cry and FF going multiplatform in the PS3 generation and now culminating with Yakuza going timed Xbox exclusive (this is still a massively WTF decision on Sega's part) and Persona jumping to PC, while the more niche Japanese games largely center themselves around Switch with ports to PS4 and PC if they have the budget for it.

As of right now, there really aren't any core Japanese-developed exclusive reasons to buy a PS5 over any other platform, so Sony is essentially counting on the same people who used to buy their consoles to play Japanese games just sticking with them out of habit rather than potentially switching to another platform. Their focus is entirely on the West and Western developers, with the occasional Japanese multiplatform game here and there.

And to be fair, that gamble will probably work for them on a macro-scale, because the Japanese market is shrinking. But it really stings for anyone who's primarily interested in Japanese games and I can't imagine it's going to help their hardware do better in Japan next generation compared to this one.

Miles Morales is cross gen though, so a significant amount of people will pick up the PS4 version.

Demons Souls should be a good seller though.

I can't imagine a lot of people in Japan are going to buy a PS5 to play Demon's Souls. Souls is way bigger in the West than it is in Japan. We'll see what happens in a month and a half, though.

GattsuSama

Mar 12, 2020

That is very cool and all but this seems like the first FF game in a while that is on schedule or at least has a lot to show for it.

I understand and appreciate them wanting to do gameplay, but why not both? Why not one of the amazing CG trailers they are, or were, renowned for and also include gameplay?

I really hope this game is big on the classic CG cinematics as every mainline FF has.

Gnorman

Banned
Jan 14, 2018
Delaying the PS5 in Japan for a title or 2 that might scrape to 100k copies would be madness. The PS5 will still get pretty much all Japanese AAA and AA games by virtue of their worldwide install base. Focusing on a single market in a digital world doesn't make sense any more.

It's like the silly argument people like to make about Capcom being unhappy with MHW's sales in Japan when it's sold 15m+ worldwide.

Zeal543

Next Level Seer
May 15, 2020
Sony's decay of support for Japanese games has been my highest point of contention with the company for years now. While I think the ps4 is good, I consider it worse than ps1-3 because of this (and 3 is worse than 1/2 for similar reasons).

It doesn't seem to be getting any better either

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I can't imagine a lot of people in Japan are going to buy a PS5 to play Demon's Souls. Souls is way bigger in the West than it is in Japan. We'll see what happens in a month and a half, though.

Souls games are still relatively big in Japan. All three Dark Souls games have sold >300k with Dark Souls going over 400k.

Demons Souls will probably outsell Resident Evil 8 in Japan.

Fdkn

Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Sony should have forced* japanese 3rd parties to have exclusive games on launch day during the year of covid-19, or else they don't care about Japan.

* In case they did, there would be weekly discussions about sony buying exclusivity of games they don't deserve.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Souls games are still relatively big in Japan. All three Dark Souls games have sold >300k with Dark Souls going over 400k.

Demons Souls will probably outsell Resident Evil 8 in Japan.

I think the question is going to be if enough PS5 consoles even sell in Japan to allow for 300k+ units of Demon's Souls to sell over there.

That kind of attach rate is a challenge. I honestly don't see it happening at launch, but who knows. Maybe Japan has been hiding a huge amount of demand? Like I said, we'll find out in December.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Sony should have forced* japanese 3rd parties to have exclusive games on launch day during the year of covid-19, or else they don't care about Japan.

* In case they did, there would be weekly discussions about sony buying exclusivity of games they don't deserve.

I don't think anyone even means exclusivity. PS5 currently doesn't even have that many multiplatform games coming to it.

I'm also not sure how much of a factor COVID-19 is either. The Switch's third party lineup in Japan is the best it has ever been over the next few months(not even including MH Rise).

I think the question is going to be if enough PS5 consoles even sell in Japan to allow for 300k+ units of Demon's Souls to sell over there.

That kind of attach rate is a challenge. I honestly don't see it happening at launch, but who knows. Maybe Japan has been hiding a huge amount of demand? Like I said, we'll find out in December.

Oh, it definitely won't happen at launch but >100k wouldn't be weird considering pretty much every none Xbox launch in the past decade has had 200k+ consoles on the market day 1. The rest will be sales over time.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Im sure most of the Japanese PS5 early adopters will be too busy with Spider-Miles and Demon's Souls to really care. They sure aren't going to be picking up an Xbox to play Yakuza 7.

Moebius

Oct 28, 2017
Knack 3 has to be in development, right? I assume it wasn't going to be ready for launch so they didn't show it.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Im sure most of the Japanese PS5 early adopters will be too busy with Spider-Miles and Demon's Souls to really care. They sure aren't going to be picking up an Xbox to play Yakuza 7.

Especially considering Yakuza 7 will have come out on PS4 in Japan almost a full year before the PS5 launches. Game is gonna be discounted to hell over there for anyone who actually still needs to jump onboard.

Bomi-Chan

Nov 8, 2017
sony stopped caring about anyone already, after the psvita launch. how the fuck did they get away with this?
and now japanese devs are only on mobile, because they dont care about international audience... very sad since i was a huge fan pretty much of all the games... but now only available digital and only in japanese, i stopped caring...

larryfox

Apr 27, 2020
Declaration: if you use the acronym FUD, you are a fanboy of whatever systems you are going to bat for.

AuroraMusisAmica

One Winged Slayer
Aug 16, 2018
Here's Japanese 3rd-Party published titles for each PlayStation console:

PlayStation (December 3, 1994) (280 Days Ahead of the US Launch)
18.9 Million units sold
  • A. IV Evolution (Artdink)
  • Gokujou Parodius Da! Deluxe Pack (Konami)
  • Mahjong Station Mazin (Sunsoft)
  • Ridge Racer (Namco)
  • Nekketsu Oyako (Technosoft)
PlayStation 2 (March 4, 2000) (236 Days Ahead of the US Launch)
21.5 Million units sold
  • A-Train 6 (Artdink)
  • DrumMania (Konami)
  • Eternal Ring (FromSoftware)
  • Kakinoki Shogi IV (ASCII Entertainment)
  • Kessen (Koei)
  • Mahjong Taikai III (Koei)
  • Morita Shogi (Yuki)
  • Ridge Racer V (Namco)
  • Stepping Selection (Jaleco)
  • Street Fighter EX3 (Capcom)
PlayStation 3 (November 11, 2006) (6 Days Ahead of the US Launch)
10.5 Million units sold
  • Mobile Suit Gundam: Target In Sight (Namco Bandai)
  • Ridge Racer 7 (Namco Bandai)
  • Sega Golf Club (Sega)
PlayStation 4 (February 22, 2014) (99 Days Behind the US Launch)
9.2 Million units sold
  • Dynasty Warriors 8: Xtreme Legends Complete Edition (Tecmo Koei)
  • Nobunaga's Ambition: Sphere of Influence (Tecmo Koei)
  • Ryu ga Gotoku: Ishin! (Sega)
PlayStation 5 (November 12, 2020) (Day in Date with US Launch)
  • Devil May Cry 5: Special Edition (Digital) (Capcom)

A console's launch clearly isn't the end-all be-all when it comes to its future success, but there is a clear dedication to Japanese audiences with the first two consoles that paid dividends. Post-PS2, Sony has focused on its Western audiences due to a plethora of factors, but the end result remains the fact that clearly, the Japanese market isn't as important to Sony as it used to be. Likewise, there's a trend here that can't be ignored: Japanese third parties see less import in Sony's launch window than before.

Also, pretty funny to see FromSoftware up there for the PS2. Maybe a bit of sales magic will rub off on the PS5 with Demon's Souls. :P

Please don't use my dishonorable post history to shame me.

Last edited:

salromano

Mr. Gematsu
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
We saw games like Dragon Quest XI or Resident Evil 4 going multiplatform because of sluggish sales of the PS4 and GC early on.

What's your source on this? It was announced multiplatform (PS4/3DS/"NX") on day one. And sales were strongest on PlayStation 4 overall.

▬▬ι══════════════ι▬▬​

Anyway, let's look at Japanese developer support for PlayStation 5 so far:

First-Party

• November 10
    • Astro's Playroom (SIE Japan Studio) (Exclusive)
    • Demon's Souls (SIE Japan Studio / Bluepoint Games) (Exclusive)
TBA
  • Gran Turismo 7 (Polyphony Digital) (Exclusive)

Third-Party

• November 10
    • Devil May Cry 5 Special Edition (Capcom)
    • Goonya Fighter: Purupuru Shokkan Edition (Mutan) (Next-Gen Exclusive)
  • December 3
    • Atelier Ryza 2 (Koei Tecmo / Gust) (Next-Gen Exclusive)
  • December 10
    • Puyo Puyo Tetris 2 (Sega)
  • December 17
    • Go! Go! 5 Jigen Game Neptune: re☆Verse (Compile Heart) (Exclusive)
  • March 2
    • Yakuza: Like a Dragon (Sega / Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio) - TBA for Japan
  • March 26
    • Balan Wonderworld (Square Enix / Arzest)
  • Early / Spring 2021
    • Dynasty Warriors 9 Empires (Koei Tecmo / Omega Force)
    • Guilty Gear: Strive (Arc System Works) (Console Exclusive)
    • eFootball PES 2021 (Konami)
    • Ghostwire: Tokyo (Bethesda Softworks / Tango Gameworks) (Console Exclusive)
    • Resident Evil Village (Capcom)
  • Pragmata (Capcom)
TBA
  • Eiyuden Chronicle: Hundred Heroes (Rabbit & Bear Studios)
  • Final Fantasy XVI (Square Enix / Creative Business Unit III) (Exclusive)
  • Project Athia (Square Enix / Luminous Productions) (Exclusive)
  • Psikyo Shooting Collection (City Connection / Zerodiv) (Exclusive)
  • Scarlet Nexus (Bandai Namco)
▬▬ι══════════════ι▬▬
Now, let's look at who's missing:
  • Acquire
    • Acquire announced Gladiux in December 2019 for unannounced platform(s), but said it would like to release on PlayStation 5. It is a reimagining of Acquire's Gladiator Begins developed by Starcaster Games (a western company).
  • Atlus
    • P-Studio - Silent since Persona 5 Royal, which was likely not its main project. More Persona likely to come. I don't expect an immediate jump to Persona 6 though. Maybe a remake of Persona 3.​
    • Studio Zero - Working on Project Re Fantasy for unannounced platform(s).​
  • Bandai Namco
    • Bandai Namco is a huge company. While Scarlet Nexus and Little Nightmares II are its only announced PlayStation 5 titles so far, there are plenty more to come for sure. Elden Ring and Tales of Arise are likely cross-gen at this point. The new Digimon Story in development since at least December 2017 is likely cross-gen. The next Tekken is likely in development. And you can bet more Dragon Ball, Naruto, Mobile Suit Gundam, and One Piece games are on the way.
  • Cygames
    • Granblue Fantasy: Relink - First announced for PlayStation 4 in 2016 and more information coming in December. I wouldn't be surprised if this is a cross-gen title at this point.
    • Project Awakening - First announced for PlayStation 4 in 2018, many thought this game looked too good to be a current-gen title anyway, so I wouldn't be surprised if it's PlayStation 5-only now.
  • Koei Tecmo
    • Team Ninja - Sony Interactive Entertainment and Team Ninja worked together on Nioh, which is why it is only available on PlayStation consoles. I can't remember where / when it was said, but I believe it was Yosuke Hayashi that said similarly to how they created Nioh for PS4, he wants to create something new for PS5. Jim Ryan also recently namedropped Koei Tecmo as one of the major Japanese publishers SIE has a great relationship with.
  • Konami
    • Who knows what they're up to besides eFootball PES 2021... Other than soccer games, they regularly put out Pro Yakyuu Spirits and Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu games on PlayStation platforms---the former exclusively---so we'll likely see more of those. I saw rumors floating around of a Metal Gear Solid remake, but who knows how credible they are...
  • PlatinumGames
    • Tolling away on Bayonetta 3 and Babylon's Fall, the latter of which I wouldn't be surprised to see as a cross-gen title at this point. Then you have whatever they're doing with their Tencent money.
  • Sega
    • Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio - PlayStation 4 launched with a Yakuza spin-off title (Yakuza: Ishin!). Yakuza series chief producer Masayoshi Yokoyama recently said, "The Yakuza series is heading towards its 15th anniversary, and various plans are currently underway. Naturally, a game is also in development. The development team is working hard every day aiming for the day we can announce it to everyone, so please continue to give us your support."​
  • Square Enix
    • Creative Business Unit I - A new IP action game is in development for HD console(s), according to the unit's website.
    • Creative Business Unit III - A new HD title from the Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age team has been in development for unannounced platform(s) since at least June 2019, according to the unit's website.
▬▬ι══════════════ι▬▬​

There are definitely a lot of companies I'm missing, but the point is that all the players are working on something that probably have a PlayStation 5 version at the very least, so the support will come.