• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TacoSupreme

Jul 26, 2019
I think the experience must be a lot better for people who didn't already own and play most of the best last-gen games on a PS4 Pro. For me, I got it at launch, beat Ghost of Tsushima with the patch, played Demon's Souls and Miles Morales, and now it's mostly just gathering dust.

I know it's something that gets a lot of talk already, but the $70 price tag is basically standing in the way of me giving Returnal a shot. Not because of any bullshit like not thinking it's individually worth that much, but because it doesn't really look like my type of game. I might have been willing to take a shot on it if it were cheaper.

I've been doing even more PC gaming than usual this year. I'll probably have a good time dipping back into some PS4 games in the coming years though.

Deleted member 46489

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
Here's the thing for me. I've never owned a console in my life. Never had that kind of money as a kid, and parents didn't approve of gaming. And now, when I have a job, I'm excited to get one. And it will have to be the PS5, cause obviously I wanna play Spiderman and God of War and Bloodborne.

But I do find myself wishing that PS5 had the features of Series X. There are reports of coil whine and fan lottery for the PS5, there's no quick resume, and last gen games benefit only marginally from the beastly PS5 hardware unless patched.

What does excite me for the PS5 is the innovations in the Dual Sense, the 3D audio innovations pioneered by Sony, and the possibility of seeing great games from their fantastic first party studios.

Oct 27, 2017
Mine is collecting dust and dualsense had to be sent for repairs last week.
I think it's a great console, but it won't get much use until more games start coming out

Shairi

Aug 27, 2018
The difference between the PS4 and PS5 launch is also huge for me. PS4 was my favorite console so far, but I'm playing a lot more on my PS5 than I was playing my PS4 at launch.

The swiftness of the UI, loading times, the quality of the games, the library and THAT Dualsense. I love it.

And it's only going to get better with more OS features added and more great games realising in the near future.

The one big issue for me is most of my friends couldn't get their hands on a PS5 yet. So I kinda dropped out of playing Destruction Allstars after a month, because I can't play it with my friends.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
Holy shit, how did this completely innocuous thread trigger so many people?

I mean, I know why, it's just funny. I feel sorry for some of the more dyed in the wool warriors here. Must feel shitty to be so angry and negative all the time.
I knew exactly how this thread was going to go before even opening it. This is the new normal on Era.

TsuWave

Oct 27, 2017
I quite like mine too. It helps that I work from home, but I've used it every day since launch. It's definitely one of my favorite systems already.

I do have some issues with the UI and needless changes they made, but it's all pretty small stuff, i.e; I think chat party management was easier on PS4, I also think switching off the console was easier on PS4. But like I said, it's pretty inconsequential stuff that they will streamline with updates I'm sure.

CrispyGamer

Banned
Jan 4, 2020
I feel the same way OP I'm absolutely loving what next-gen brings to the games, from the controller to the audio I'm floored i can't wait for Rachet! Now I'm patiently waiting for Gears 6 to pick up a Series X.

iceblade

Oct 25, 2017

I've found it to be generally just that quick for me. All console makers should be using it in the future without question.

Jeez. Thank you both. That's seriously impressive.

More on topic, I'm quite happy with the PS5 as well. Since getting my PS5 I've used it a bunch, and the only reason I'm not using it more now is because I've made a conscious effort to clear up my PS3 backlog while things like the trophy servers are still running. But the PS5 is just fun to use. It boots up and gets into/out of games really quickly, it's very responsive, and I especially like how consistently quiet it is. BC too is a super handy feature as that's meant being able to take advantage of the PS4's library (and left me with LOTS to play). It's also nice having the store be baked into the OS and actually be responsive for once. And when you get to the PS5 native games, things like Activity Cards and PS Help (that's an underrated feature IMO) come to the fore and make playing on it fun and convenient, too. The performance gets even better, and so do the load times.

I do have several complaints with it, like the $70 games, and the storage space is IMO too little, but overall I'm happy wit it and it's building from a better base than the PS4 is IMO.

I don't think it can dethrone the PS3 and Vita as my favorite (or second favorite, respectively) systems, but it can come relatively close, and that's a good thing.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
Thinking about it a bit, it's probably the smoothest experience I've had with a console since the PS2 in the sense that it's a no-brainer drop-in replacement for the previous generation machine. There's literally no reason to keep a PS4 plugged in or have one at all "just in case" or anything like that. All my PS4 games work and work better (never got the Pro), it's way quieter than even my Slim, and the system level features I used before are cranked up (I capture a lot of gameplay videos, for example).

Yeah, it's probably the best console I've owned in this early going and that's not even touching on the games. Demon's Souls is the best launch game I've ever played, imho.

Griffith

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Glad you're enjoying the console. Personally I'm going to wait out a bit longer until they release a slim model or more exclusives that I am interested in. As much as I love Demon's Souls, that alone isn't enough to convince me.

TsuWave

Oct 27, 2017
It's a bit hyperbolic to say it's the best console ever. I mean at the moment it's pretty much just a PS4 with an additional few exclusives, only fatter and kind of ugly.

I'm glad you like it, and I'd love to be able to find one to be able to buy it, but its nowhere near the best anything right now. Give it something like 5 years to mature and then we can have this discussion.

to be fair, the PS4 could be/is the best console to a lot of people. Having a console that expands its feature set, while allowing you to play the PS4 library, often with enhancements,, as well as already having some really high quality exclusives. I can see why some would consider it their goat already.

In terms of aesthetics, I used to hate it, then I grew used to it, now I actually like it. It's weird.

Apr 4, 2021
I've honestly only tried Astrobot, Demon's Souls and Ghost of Tsushima on it. I think the potential of integrating the controller with gameplay really has big potential, and I'm super excited to games like God of War 2 to see how it would play out.

Though, I've felt a bit underwhelmed since I usually play games with a 4K resolution PC, but I am sure that people transitioning from PC to PS5 would feel a huge difference in the graphics.

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
Weird thread and weird op aside I agree.

However that's how it should be? Newer stuff should be better XD

The things I appreciate most though are just how quiet it is and the BC with my PS4 digital collection. I'm playing Ara Fell, EDF and Torchlight 2 but even on my PS4 it would sound like a jumbo jet, my PS5 is deathly silent.

Oct 31, 2017
It's a way better experience than the early months of PS4 that's for sure, and the games so far are excellent.

Currently enjoying Returnal — it distills the advertised next-gen PS5 experience more than any game so far, particularly the DualSense… sublime stuff. I've actually got no time for RE Village even though it's here, Ratchet & Clank is next month and Horizon later in the year, probably even The Last of Us Online before the end of the year.

We're feasting early this time. It was a bit harder with the PS4 that first year.

Aug 30, 2020
I'd say PlayStation 5 is my least favorite PlayStation ever, so far. I tend to like short, arcadey games and each of the previous PlayStations had better launch titles. It may be one of my least favorite consoles of all time. (FWIW I didn't even bother buying a new Xbox, but the S might become a good emulation machine?)

When it comes down to it, I'd probably go PS1 > PS2 > PS3 > PS4 > PS5 hah. But I still like the PS1 library way more than any others, and PS2 just a bit over PS3.

BAW

Oct 27, 2017
Because the game library is not very good atm
Graphics coming from a PS4 Pro are not that much better
Storage space is laughable
Controller falls apart
Online is not free
It has coil whine
Design wise it is a disaster
And other stuff I am forgetting right now.
Maybe the revisions will be better.

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not for me personally.
Consoles need exclusives for me to truly love them and I don't like the direction Sony has been going in with their exclusives recently.

PS2 is probably my favourite playstation but 5 is getting both ff7r and ff16 as exclusives so who knows, maybe I'll end up loving it.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
Either it's a coincidence or it's a reaction to another thread. You decide

9i19cJw.png

I have decided that it's a coincidence. What now?

OT. I like the console but waiting for prices of games to go down a bit. Still have a backlog to go through though! Enjoying WRC9 and Astro Playroom a lot plus how quick games load generally.

Jaypah

Oct 27, 2017
As is said, it's a really great feature. But i realy do not need it since i only play one game, finish that game, and go to the next one. I'm sure it's really helpful to a lot of people and i hope Sony implements it.

The console has only been out for 6 months, you only play one game at a time (to completion) and it's already the best console you've ever owned? Either you play through games fast as hell or the UI/DualSense has really rocked your world.

Anyway, glad you're enjoying it. I like mine too. Nowhere near my top 5 yet but that's not a knock, it's only 6 months old.

Crumrin

Banned
Feb 27, 2020
Yep, it's a great piece of hardware that really feels fresh and next-gen, a lot due to Dualsense and how transformative it is in some games. Personally, it is difficult to go back to using the DS4 or other controllers, they all feel dull after trying the Dualsense. 😅

In addition, Sony and its studios are doing an excellent job when it comes to delivering high-quality exclusive games: Demon's Souls, Miles, Sackboy, Returnal, and soon the gorgeous Ratchet Rivet & Clank, that's a lot for the first few months of a console launched in the middle of a pandemic.

There is obviously a lot of room for improvement, especially with regard to updates and new features for the OS, but that's normal at the beginning of a new cycle.

All in all, I think Sony managed to lay the foundations for a good generation: great hardware that feels fresh + a continuous flow of good and varied games. The future is bright, I would say.

marc^o^

Oct 26, 2017
Paris, France
It's also the first time I've bought a console with so many free games offered. For the cost of one game/PS+, I got 40 titles I now own, most of them being amazing.

This didn't exist in previous generations.

Jencks

Oct 25, 2017
It's big, ugly, loud, and prone to breaking. The saving grace for me at this point is the fantastic PS4 BC.

PK_Wonder

One Winged Slayer
Mar 22, 2018
I wouldn't go this far to call it the best quite yet, but boy does it have the potential to be! It's the smoothest experience for the console/controller/OS/UI and most fun* (across multiple games) launch period/first 6 months I have experienced with a console in my life. There's been multiple great gaming memories I have already had with it, from the DualSense use and nostalgic charm in Astro to the creativity and intensity of Returnal.

*my all-time favorite launch game was a few years earlier on Switch, with BotW, so I cherish that launch experience a lot due to BotW, though the system itself and rest of the library during launch didn't wow me immediately as much as PS5 has

Yesterday

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As someone who mostly stopped having a PS4 after 2015 I'm having a good time with mine. Not sure if that'd be true if I had a pro until this point

Deleted member 91227

Feb 4, 2021
I have a PS5 and XSX and I'm very pleased with both consoles and have been using both a ton. XSX has been getting more use, but that's just as I didn't game on Xbox or PC as much as PS4 last gen. Thus there were a lot more games to play for the first time with the BC enhancements there than on PS4 where I was mostly caught up on everything I want to play. Other than Days Gone, but I haven't gotten in the mood for a big open world game yet since getting a PS5. Also more I wanted to replay on Xbox like the Halo series, eventually Gears of War and less on the PS side other than maybe God of War before the sequel comes out. Gamepass also has me over on XSX a lot as well as there's so much on their on top of the games I mention above.

But PS5 gets plenty of love and play time as well with the stronger launch titles (including cross gen games like Miles Morales), my main gaming buddy I play with online is on PS only at this point so MP games are played there, Disco Elyisium has gotten a lot of time lately and so on.

For me personally, neither console is worth it to me personally in terms of exlusvies yet, especially if discounting cross gen stuff. I was just overly excited to early adopt and get new consoles after finally taking the plunge and upgrading to a 4K TV last October. That made buying mainly for a boost to last gen games and cross gen games worth it for me. If I'd stayed at 1080p, or had earlier upgraded and had the novelty/impressiveness of 4K wear off some like it now has I'd probably have been good waiting until well into 2022 to upgrade consoles as it's looking like a pretty thin year in terms of next-gen exclusives and I'd have been ok playing the cross gen stuff on my PS4 Pro or aging PC barring the new TV buzz I had.

bes.gen

Nov 24, 2017
gets the most playtime from me between the 3consoles for sure.
there are constantly new stuff coming up,
on top of my already exhausting ps4 backlog.
ssd, dualsense and 60fps are game changers too.

Oct 27, 2017
Compared to my PS4 i've got soo much more to play and i don't really Need to spend a lot of money. I got most stuff with my PS+ subscription.
That's great but I don't understand did you not buy games and that's why you had less on PS4? Coz there is a ton of games on PS4, you should have no problem finding something that you'll enjoy on PS4/ and PS5 since it's BC

Jaypah

Oct 27, 2017
Thinking about it, it might be the best first 6 months for a console. Exclusives, BC, enhanced BC on some games, reduced (greatly in some cases) load times, DualSense...I could see the argument. It's not the most I've enjoyed a console in the first 6 months but that comes down to a variety of factors. I'm older, I have a wife and kid and I have a plethora of other entertainment choices. My N64 didn't have much competition for my time. Hell, I didn't even have cable tv lol. But now I have streaming video services, retro games, a Switch, Oculus Quest and a high-end gaming PC (+PCVR) that I got the week before my launch PS5. It's fighting the good fight and winning some nights so...yeah, I can dig it.

Jump_Button

Oct 27, 2017
For sure one of the best start of a new gen they give you all ps4 classic if you missed any and got a good line up that are coming out more or less on time given what thing are like right now

I do think switch was better but they had Zelda and Mario in like first year

BlueJay

Oct 27, 2017
I love my PS5 to be honest. The start of this gen has been great, and it will only get better.

Happy for you OP, continue to enjoy it!

Status
Not open for further replies.