• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Are you satisfied with the PS5 experience and have you encountered issues so far?

• Yes, i am totally satisfied, the PS5 experience is just awesome, i´ve encountered no issues at all!

Votes: 334 65.5%
  • It is okay. not great but not bad either, i´ve had some issues.

Votes: 136 26.7%
  • I am not satisfied with the PS5 experience so far, there are just too many issues.

Votes: 40 7.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
Now that the PS5 is here for a few weeks, I just can´t help but wonder about the overwhelmingly positive reaction towards the console.

in its current state the console is somewhat of an guarantee for disappointment to me and there are many smaller and bigger things about the system that range from minor disappointments over somewhat baffling oversights to huge misses.

1. The system has an annoying coil whine for many people
after claims how silent the console is in previews it is just a major letdown to experience yet another console with coil whine after the PS4Pro. why did they have to cheap out on the PSU?

2. The firmware/OS is absolutely lackluster.
this firmware just doesn´t cut it. it is unstable, lackluster, misses features that should have been taken for granted after the PS4 gen. this is no start from 0, this is like starting from -5.

3. The "disc spins up every hour" thing.
i think most people have experienced this behaviour by now, the console checks for the disc every hour or so as long as there is a disc in the drive. so there is a 100% chance to run into this when playing a disc game. it is irritating, unnecessary and just annoying. how could this slip testing?

4. Console autoinstalls PS4 version of a PS5 game when the disc is in the drive and the console boots.
We all were happy to hear that many PS4 version games provide you with an PS5 version when you insert the disc. but the console tries to install the PS4 version even if you already have the PS5 version installed on every bootup. the solution: eject the disc before turning the console off. how backwards is that? why is this console autoinstalling everything, just give the user the option to turn it off!

5. No friend feed anymore
i am no fan of social media but i liked to see what people play and what trophies they got. why is the feed completely missing? another backwards decision and non feature.

6. No Zoom function anymore
maybe most people never used it, maybe many people didn´t even know about it but there is no zoom function anymore on the PS5. you could activate a zoom on the PS4 with the PS button and Square which was super handy when a game had small text, for example in item descriptions. the feature is gone from the PS5.

7. Crashes
nearly every newer game has the potential to crash the console. makes for a super annoying experience.

8. DualSense build quality
i really don´t get the applause for this controller. mushy Dpads, sticky buttons, loose triggers, analog drift-there are already many reports about problems with the Dual Sense and while it looks premium the build quality is not really good.

9. Copying is still a thing when patches arrive
remember when people claimed that the "copying" process would be a thing of the past with the PS5 and its SSD? no, "copying" is back with a vengeance.

10. Rest mode is useless in current state
rest mode is plain useless. crashes games, introduces stuttering and causes instabilities. instead of hopping into a game faster than ever, one of the touted selling points of the SSD and next gen in general, players are back to square one and better off turning the console off. it is ridiculous.

11. SSD size
the size of the SSD is too small, period. instead of an 1TB SSD where you would have 850GB, you get an 800GB SSD with 667GB. coupled with the external drive situation it comes off as lackluster.

12. External drive problem is just baffling
why does the PS5 have problems with external drives? another backwards situation

13. Activity cards are absolutely lackluster in their current state
often they are not even working. why can´t users create own cards like a "jump to this point in the game" card? why does not every game has a "jump to where i left" card? that would have been a killer feature.

14. PSN store on PS5 is a bad joke
nuff said.

15. Fan lottery is back
call yourself lucky when your fan is silent because there are three different fan models and some are more noisy than others.

as you can tell, i am just miffed about the PS5 experience so far. what should have been an exciting start into a new gen is hampered by backwards design, technical inconsistencies, bugs/ crashes and baffling decisions.

surely some of these things will be ironed out in the future but there is no denying that the console came in more than hot.

i´ve lived through countless console launches and this one left me just icecold so far. when you can´t even play first party games (SM remastered/MM) without issues and wonder when the next system update drops instead of enjoying the console it really makes for a bad impression.

so, are you satisfied with the PS5 experience so far?

Last edited:

Izzard

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
I'm very satisfied, yes. It's been a great experience so far, and I can't wait to see what comes. Bit of a shame some people have had issues, but realistically that happens with every new console.

Last edited:

HellofaMouse

Oct 27, 2017
The new ui is a noticable step down.

Ive had tons of bugs and crashes.

The disc spin is a thing, it vibrates my entire desk its funny.

The bc is great though, especially for patched games

Last edited:

Much

The Gif That Keeps on Giffing
Feb 24, 2018
There is a friend feed btw. It's under game base iirc.

lost7

Feb 20, 2018
Personally I'm really enjoying my time with it. I loved Miles and DS and really didn't have any issues other than a couple of crashes. And backward compatibility is pretty cool.

Overall I'd say this has been the most fun launch I can remember

Kenzodielocke

Oct 25, 2017
I am satisified and the most issues I have with it will be fixed in firmware updates. It is just a very tough year to launch a console in, so I understand.

Aug 13, 2018
User Banned (5 days): Drive-by console wars, prior infractions for similar behaviour
Now that the PS5 is here for a few weeks, I just can´t help but wonder about the overwhelmingly positive reaction towards the console.

in its current state the console is somewhat of an guarantee for disappointment to me and there are many smaller and bigger things about the system that range from minor disappointments over somewhat baffling oversights to huge misses.

1. The system has an annoying coil whine for many people
after claims how silent the console is in previews it is just a major letdown to experience yet another console with coil whine after the PS4Pro. why did they have to cheap out on the PSU?

2. The firmware/OS is absolutely lackluster.
this firmware just doesn´t cut it. it is unstable, lackluster, misses features that should have been taken for granted after the PS4 gen. this is no start from 0, this is like starting from -5.

3. The "disc spins up every hour" thing.
i think most people have experienced this behaviour by now, the console checks for the disc every hour or so as long as there is a disc in the drive. so there is a 100% chance to run into this when playing a disc game. it is irritating, unnecessary and just annoying. how could this slip testing?

4. Console autoinstalls PS4 version of a PS5 game when the disc is in the drive and the console boots.
We all were happy to hear that many PS4 version games provide you with an PS5 version when you insert the disc. but the console tries to install the PS4 version even if you already have the PS5 version installed on every bootup. the solution: eject the disc before turning the console off. how backwards is that? why is this console autoinstalling everything, just give the user the option to turn it off!

5. No friend feed anymore
i am no fan of social media but i liked to see what people play and what trophies they got. why is the feed completely missing? another backwards decision and non feature.

6. No Zoom function anymore
maybe most people never used it, maybe many people didn´t even know about it but there is no zoom function anymore on the PS5. you could activate a zoom on the PS4 with the PS button and Square which was super handy when a game had small text, for example in item descriptions. the feature is gone from the PS5.

7. Crashes
nearly every newer game has the potential to crash the console. makes for a super annoying experience.

8. DualSense build quality
i really don´t get the applause for this controller. mushy Dpads, sticky buttons, loose triggers, analog drift-there are already many reports about problems with the Dual Sense and while it looks premium the build quality is not really good.

9. Copying is still a thing when patches arrive
remember when people claimed that the "copying" process would be a thing of the past with the PS5 and its SSD? no, "copying" is back with a vengeance.

10. Rest mode is useless in current state
rest mode is plain useless. crashes games, introduces stuttering and causes instabilities. instead of hopping into a game faster than ever, one of the touted selling points of the SSD and next gen in general players are back to square one and better off turning the console off. it is ridiculous.

11. SSD size
the size of the SSD is too small, period. instead of an 1TB SSD where you would have 850GB, you get an 800GB SSD with 667GB. coupled with the external drive situation it comes off as lackluster.

12. External drive problem is just baffling
why does the PS5 have problems with external drives? another backwards situation

13. Activity cards are absolutely lackluster in their current state
often they are not even working. why can´t users create own cards like a "jump to this point in the game" card? why does not every game has a "jump to where i left" card? that would have been a killer feature.

14. PSN store on PS5 is a bad joke
nuff said.

15. Fan lottery is back
call yourself lucky when your fan is silent because there are three different fan models and some are more noisy than others.

as you can tell, i am just miffed about the PS5 experience so far. what should have been an exciting start into a new gen is hampered by backwards design, technical inconsistencies, bugs/ crashes and baffling decisions.

surely some of these things will be ironed out in the future but there is no denying that the console came in more than hot.

i´ve lived through countless console launches and this one left me just icecold so far. when you can´t even play first party games (SM remastered/MM) without issues and wonder when the next system update drops instead of enjoying the console it really makes for a bad impression.

so, are you satisfied with the PS5 experience so far?
OP....you should get a series x then....then you can make a forum about how great gamepass is( a sub that has horrible games but people praise)

HMD

Oct 26, 2017
The only thing I don't like is the Media tab in my profile, a lot of stuff I shared on my (now deleted) private twitter account is on there and there's literally no way to delete it.

I had to make my whole profile private to stop it from showing up under my profile.

Putty

Double Eleven
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Middlesbrough
Nothing but a positive experience thus far. Had one crash playing DS in 2 weeks or so. I have DS, SM:Remastered and Valhalla.

TimPV3

Oct 30, 2017
Luckily you can still sell it for more than you paid, sorry you're having such a bad time OP.

It hasn't blown me away, but I still enjoy it 🤷‍♂️

Oct 25, 2017
To answer your question, I'm very happy. No coil whine, no disc spinning (I have the DE), zero crashes despite a lot of play, the DualSense is fantastic and has given me no troubles at all. I love the improved Share Play and PiP and most importantly, the games are fantastic. I also use Rest Mode all the time and again, no problems at all and I've completed Miles Morales.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
The poll isn't the best. I think it's an overall great experience with a handful of glaring oversights. So while I have issues with it, I'm also satisfied.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
I have no issue with the UI at all, but the crashes are much more frequent than any machine I have bought (including the PS4 at launch). For the entire lifespan is the PS4 I have had one hard crash, but the ps5 I have already had two.

ace3skoot

Dec 3, 2018
I think we could easily make a similar thread about the series X. I think bottom line is both consoles launched to early. But in a way this is the known and documented issue of being an early adopter, I think most people here knew and willing made the risk/benefit analysis and are going to be reasonably happy with there results 😀

Shairi

Aug 27, 2018
I've not run into any of these annoyances.

I only had one game crashing once but that was also just the game crashing. PS5 was running fine. I just booted up the game again and continued without any further crashes.

I'm really, really satisfied with my PS5. It's snappy, it's fast and I wouldn't go back to PS4. Also, the DualSense is amazing. Haven't heard about the problems before. Though, mine is absolutely fine.

The one thing I don't like is the new party system. But they made the changes even before PS5 launched. And it's bad now on both, PS4 and PS5.

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah I just don't buy that these consoles are "silent" after hearing my own and a few of my friends and family's.

I will try to land another PS5 in the next few months to see if this is a "lottery' kind of deal. Which would be annoying, if true.

The series X is an actual silent console. I can within a foot from the console when my brother is playing, and you wouldn't know it was even on.

Oct 26, 2017
I don't have a PS5 yet because lol distribution is hard during a pandemic, but... is this your first product launch? Non-essential features being added later and some production flaws are things that always happen. You are comparing the 1.00001 version of the PS5 to the mostly final updated version of the PS4.

Drayco21

Oct 25, 2017
The new UI is extremely baffling and a step down from the last two gens, and storage is bad. The disc spin up isn't great either. The overall build quality is solid in my experience though and I adore the handfeel of the controller.

Hope Rest Mode and the UI get buttoned up early next year.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Dphex you can add forced supersampling of PS4/PS4 Pro games on 1080p TVs was taken away again (big issue for me personally) and there's no web browser anymore, which is pretty annoying, because I actually used it on PS4/PS4 Pro pretty often.

Abylim

Oct 29, 2017
Australia
My biggest issues would be the store lay out and the change to the psbutton functionality.

Otherwise I'm in love

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
The disc spinning at random intervals and store not having a sales/anticipated section are the truly annoying parts for me. Silence and quick response, I really enjoy. XsX is still quieter.

Lacrimosis

Dec 13, 2019
Most people have a positive opinion because people are fine enough with a rough launch state. A lot of these things are gonna get fixed and really your list are the same points multiple times really. Storage can always be expanded.

I agree with the crashes and some missing features like cold storing PS5 games. I hope these issues will get fixed or the features added.

Activities depend on the developer. And if they use it well its amazing. You will never get a user creating activity feature because it has to be build into the game.

WhovianGamer

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm annoyed by the lack of media apps and the store needs work, but everything else for me has worked flawlessly. Overall, despite a few grievances, I would say I am happier than when PS4 launched.

Cmc

Nov 1, 2017
I haven't had any crashes, coil whine or loud fans. I think you need to expand on what is wrong with the store on PS5, "nuff said" means nothing and I have in issues with it

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like your poll could use one more option along the lines of "it's pretty good overall, but could use some improvement"

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
I picked the first option because I'm mostly very happy and the second option doesn't reflect at all how I feel.

Does kind of feel like they're landing it while still building the landing gear. Quirks with os and the always on HDR and having to manually turn on\off 3d audio for supported content.

I totally get their vision of removing barriers though and I'm willing to cut them a bit of slack for the year that's in it.

Jaypah

Oct 27, 2017
I've had Dirt 5 and Miles crash on me way more than I would usually find acceptable but I don't know if that's a PS5 problem or a software problem. Probably 6-7 times for Dirt (at least) and 3-4 times for Miles since launch. Not wavy. But other than that I dig it. Controller is great to me and the console is nice and quiet. I did have some confusion on launch day with thinking (or not knowing, really) which version of the games were downloading but apparently they were the PS5 versions so...yeah. Although I distinctly remember seeing 2 of my games downloading both versions. Hmm. Maybe I should make sure they're not on my SSD somewhere lol.

OP....you should get a series x then....then you can make a forum about how great gamepass is( a sub that has horrible games but people praise)

This is amazing.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
Are people really annoyed that the disc spins up... once per hour...? For real?

Badcoo

May 9, 2018

Dragon quest 11, control, all the gears, halos, ori. Yup, horrible games indeed. /s

OT. I really think the firmware stuff could be address easily. Hardware issues are a really bummer and there isn't a enough stock where you can just exchange it. It's the risk of getting a new system.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
Only thing I haven't really liked so far as the UI - it feels like a weirdly organized regression from the PS4.

My console and controller have been fine, and some of the other stuff you list I just haven't had reason to encounter yet.

Menchi

Oct 28, 2017
UK
98% positive experience. My only issues relate to the SSD size and disc drive spin up fairly often, which brings the noise level up
You sound... absolutely 100% disappointed with your purchase though, so perhaps sell it on, to someone else?

Also, your poll option reads really disingenuously for the satisfied option. You can have some minor quibbles with the system and be satisfied, but you paint it almost as if the person is delusional and ignoring any issues at all. It really makes your thread hard to take seriously.

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
uhh have you actually used the PS5? this thread gives me the impression you don't have one and are just collecting all of the mildly negative comment from forums and social media. the vast majority of these are non-issues. coil whine seems to only affect a small number of units. the dualsense build quality is excellent. you couldn't even specify what's supposed to be wrong with the store, but i've found it to be snappy and easy to use.

there are a few small issues and game crashes that i'd expect from pretty much any new console launch, but this thread is so hyperbolic that it goes into ridiculous nitpick territory very quickly. let users create cards for any point in the game? that's not the point of the system at all, it's not a save state feature. come on.

panda-zebra

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
There a whole lot of room between the first 2 poll options to make voting in this one worthwhile. I can't state that I've had no issues but acknowledge the UI and stuff are early and lack features.

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
I've had one crash; for the rest its been smooth sailing. OS takes a bit getting used to. I think the cards are bugged for Miles Morales (out of the game I only see trophy related stuff), but they work fine for Astro. The PS4 launch was much more bare-bones if you ask me. Sure, thinks could be better on the OS-level but I have little doubt that we'll see a load of updates the next few months. So i voted for 'its okay'.

Kida

Oct 27, 2017
The vast majority of issues seem to be patchable and the result of trying to build a firmware from scratch in a year with a global pandemic. Xbox has the advantage that it's firmware is built on top of the Xbox One's base and has been tested thoroughly by many users over many months.

Apr 11, 2018
Sweden
I'm over 100 hours played on different games since November 19 and I'm baffled that people are experiencing so many problems because I'm having such an amazing experience. It's way better than the PS4 launch for me (Which was very smooth, my launch PS4 is still kicking) but damn, I love my PS5. I pretty much don't have any complaints. The only thing I can come up with is that I wish that the trophies were on the quick menu :P

Oct 27, 2017
Positive experience for me. Of the issues you've listed, I am either unaffected or not bothered by the majority.

Your point about the SSD is the most egregious, unfortunately. I'd wager that the reality for most players would be that "too small, period" and "lackluster" aren't issues, and Sony likely has the data to support and confirm this. I have 10 games installed on mine, one of which is Black Ops Cold War, with about 180GB still remaining. At this point, people moaning about the SSD need to either cope with the reality that they won't be able to store libraries of games on the thing, or just be patient and wait to be able to pay for the after market/additional storage solutions that Sony enable later.

Status
Not open for further replies.