• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
No idea. I put it in place and the only interaction I have with the system itself is the eject disk button. It looks ok to me.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
I do need to Prob dust it, I get a lot of dust in my place ill have to check them out.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I haven't done it yet but I'd also hesitate to hold a vacuum anywhere near the system. I fried a PC PSU trying to do that once.

JCal

Oct 27, 2017
Los Alfheim
I took the covers off because my disc drive got loud as shit (buzzsaw style). I did the manual disc eject thing to try to remedy it - it helped somewhat. Peaked inside those dust openings with a light and didn't see much. Too soon, probably. I'm sure it'll need proper cleaning by this time next year.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
I did it but i couldn't tell if there was much dust coming out, it doesn't seem to attract as much as my PS4 did.

Praedyth

Feb 25, 2020
Brazil
I'm curious about that as well, I want to clean it at some point but people have told me to NEVER EVER use a vacuum on an electronic… but Sony said it was to be vacuumed. I also have no idea what type of vacuum I should use, if there's one that is too strong or too weak or just right.

Diogo Arez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 20, 2020
The only reason I haven't touched mine is because that stand is a pain in the ass to adjust in the spot I have the console

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I've pulled it off to check the dust traps and have scuffed the inner plastic every single time, but no dust has actually accumulated inside of the dust traps yet.

toad02

Banned
Oct 10, 2018
I thought about it this week and am thinking about waiting until my ps5 completes a year (bought it on launch) so I will have a yearly ritual of cleaning the dust traps each year around mid-november.

Maybe I will make a thread here so we can compare the amount of dust we gathered in one year of use lol

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
Scared to attach a HDD
Scared to use Rest mode
Scared to vacuum the vacuum points.

Waiting for SSD expansion terror.

May 22, 2018
Last month I bought one of those Data Vac anti static vacuums specifically for this exercise. I have yet to try it though.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
Checked once. There wasn't much in there at all, but that's mostly due to the PS5 being placed in a relatively dust-minimal zone.

Griffy

Oct 25, 2017
I was doing some cleaning last week and decided to pull my plates off to clear out the dust. It was very simple, used a small handheld vacuum to suck out the dust traps. I have no idea if anything came out or not as it was surprisingly clean in there.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
I was doing some cleaning last week and decided to pull my plates off to clear out the dust. It was very simple, used a small handheld vacuum to suck out the dust traps. I have no idea if anything came out or not as it was surprisingly clean in there.

Yeah, it's really weird coming from a PS4 Pro, that thing used to suck up dust like a beast.

May 14, 2021
I opened mine and the only place dust had collected was on the removable vents. The dust traps were empty. And the fan had no dust. I merely washed the vents and put them back on. Taking the covers off is just a matter of lifting one edge and pushing in the right direction.

Shock32

Oct 27, 2017
I wanted to clean mine but the dust traps were empty. I just wiped the inside with a towel, it's only like 5 months old but it was really clean.

ManOfWar

Jan 6, 2020
Brazil
Has anyone tried to clean or service their PS5, or just pry off thy cover and check it the dust traps.

Are they working as designed?

I cleaned mine in April because I was trying some custom balck plates. I was surprised at how much dust it had gathered in the fan's blades in just six months. Vacuumed one of the traps and, just out of curiosity, managed to pull quite a bit of dust from the other with a pair of tweezers from a iFixIt kit. After that, just some more vacuum cleaning.

I can see myself doing the same in November to gauge if it keeps dirtying itself at the same rate.

Last edited:

nadbmal

Banned
Mar 9, 2018
I popped the sides on mine in April (got it in december) and it was practically clean so i probably won't bother opening it again until like next April.

bitcloudrzr

May 31, 2018
Every month I take it out and reverse the vacuum over all sides without opening it and it clears out the dust. Been doing this since the PS3 days and never had issues with static, but there are also electronics vacuums you can use if that is a concern.

SirDante

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 20, 2020
I'm still too scared to take the cover off.. it feels like it's going to break.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
They literally say that the holes are meant for users to be able to vacuum out the dust though.

Presumably with an electronics/anti-static vacuum specifically though?

Im super careful because I'm absolutely one of those idiots that's killed my PC by vacuuming it before. Static kills electronics.

Ninjatogo

Oct 28, 2017

Im super careful because I'm absolutely one of those idiots that's killed my PC by vacuuming it before. Static kills electronics.
Yeah, but how much static are you expecting the vacuum to build up by just running the vacuum over the hole for a few seconds? Besides, the hole is probably quite far from the electrical components.

OgTheEnigma

Oct 27, 2017
Liverpool

Vacuuming a PS5 (and other consoles) is probably safer that vacuuming most PCs, because the big flat sheets of metal inside act as ground plates. So static charge is not as likely to be concentrated in one specific spot by sensitive electronics.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, but how much static are you expecting the vacuum to build up by just running the vacuum over the hole for a few seconds? Besides, the hole is probably quite far from the electrical components.

Hope so! Id just be pretty scared personally. When I fried my PSU it only cost me £80 to replace it. Frying my PS5 would be a different story!

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
The only reason I haven't touched mine is because that stand is a pain in the ass to adjust in the spot I have the console

When we got the new tv my husband saw how sony designed the stand. Being an engineer he was incredibly astounded at how lazy/bad a design it was. He eventually 3d printed me a stand and just attached it to the new faceplates (black) we bought since we are never going to have it verticle anyways so why not make it a more permanent solution.

It's so much nicer.

HalStep

Oct 27, 2017
done it quite a few times, never been able to see any actual dust in there but vacuumed it any way.

Oct 27, 2017
When installing an ssd I only saw a faint bit of dust on the fan, that's it.

And yes, in horizontal mode you need to watch the stand because the console can separate from it quite easily with the tiniest nudge.