• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Bardeh

Jun 15, 2018
One of the great things about consoles is going into a physical store later in the generation and browsing the hundreds of preowned titles and picking something you missed at release up for peanuts. Never being able to do that would be, IMO, awful.

Kuosi

Oct 30, 2017
Finland
But how much of an issue that is realistically to a normal consumer?

PSN sales and PS+ exists. That's how I amassed about 90% of my digital playstation library (400+ games and counting). I only buy a couple of full priced games per year (as do most people statistically). So for me it would take almost entire console generation of buying physical games to offset more expensive regular PS5 (+100€).

And this isn't even taking into account just how much more convenient digital is, also environmental aspect, etc.
Guess it is as I dont know anyone here who wanted to buy a digital one, they ship less digital ones and disc drive ones go instantly out of stock when they appear, DE has been up for an hour in comparison

orava

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 10, 2019
Because you are actually paying more than just the $400. Super expensive digital only games and playstation plus adds up. It's not magic.

Kromis

Oct 29, 2017
SoCal
One of the great things about consoles is going into a physical store later in the generation and browsing the hundreds of preowned titles and picking something you missed at release up for peanuts. Never being able to do that would be, IMO, awful.

Hell yeah dude! I skipped the PS4 so I can borrow all my friends' games :) Helps to have a huge backlog too

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
I'll be getting the digital version once God of War is out. I don't resale games anymore (since the 360 days) and my convenience is more valuable than the few dollars id get trading/selling discs. I wouldn't buy the game if i couldn't afford to keep it.

catswaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They "delivered" like 20 of them. Wake me up when theyre widely available, otherwise its just a very controlled loss so they can market a lower number than the ps5 ypull actually find in stock.

xabbott

Oct 28, 2017
Florida
PS5_Digital_Product%20Hero1_900x900

Everyone was shocked. I don't remember a word being leaked by any major outlet. I've looked at many live reactions videos to the PS5 reveal, and all of them were saying "Show the PS5." No one had any knowledge of the PS5 Digital Edition. You can tell Sony knew this would be a shock by the way the reveal video was structured, revealing the DE via fancy editing and a change in the tempo of the music.

And here we are some eight months and 36 million views later and this video still makes me think, "With nearly everything getting leaked these days in some capacity, how the hell did they manage to slip this under our noses?" And at $399 more importantly. To offer the exact same specs as the PlayStation 5 for $100 less at the cost of a disc drive that an increasing number of gamers (including myself) don't use anyway is insane value. Buying a PS5 DE is like buying a PS5 on a Black Friday sale only at the launch of the system.

Except I don't even know if any PS4 Black Friday sales dropped the price of the system (Pro or otherwise) by $100, so it may be even a crazier deal than that. All of this has led me to believe the DE will be the highest selling PS5 SKU at the end of the day. Though there are several variables there, such as the ratio Sony will produce them at once production starts to ramp up. I know now they have been produced at a lower ratio, but it remains to be seen if that will hold in the future.

THE AUDACITY OF $399

The PlayStation 4 launched at $399 and it was a world of difference for Sony than the PS3's launch price, which, like the PS5, offered two different SKUS $499/$599. Obviously they preferred the PS4's launch to the PS3's, but $399 seemed like a pipe dream. Is a disc drive worth that much? Only you as a gamer can decide that for you. But for the company? Surely they're not saving $100, but then again maybe they are? The PS5 Standard and DE are essentially the exact same design except one lacks a disc drive. Maybe there was some cost-cutting done by keeping the design more or less 1 to 1. Maybe it's the talk of "They'll make more money on the back end from software." Who knows? Whatever the case, they snatched that pipe dream price from 2013 and brought it to the future.

Both Sony and Microsoft didn't want to chance 499 being too high. Especially when Sony looks back to replicate the success of PS4 which was $399. Both MS and Sony probably lose more on the cheaper discless consoles for now. It does however lock these consoles into the store so eventually they should see a return. Finally Sony was bold enough to increase to price points on its own games big and small. It will be interesting if the DE does outsell the disc console because that's going to lead to a very different outlook on the future. I think its one a lot of the industry is hoping for.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
It's like some of you think the PSN never has sales lol. The salt in this thread is ridiculous. Never change Era.

In the US, PSN sales are rarely as good as physical. As someone where saving money does matter, it's important to bring up.

But how much of an issue that is realistically to a normal consumer?

PSN sales and PS+ exists. That's how I amassed about 90% of my digital playstation library (400+ games and counting). I only buy a couple of full priced games per year (as do most people statistically). So for me it would take almost entire console generation of buying physical games to offset more expensive regular PS5 (+100€).

And this isn't even taking into account just how much more convenient digital is, also environmental aspect, etc.

Yeah, it's much different in the US because games are 60 (now 70) here. It's pretty normal to start to see games half price within a few months, so 30 USD physical. Within a year, depending on the game, you might see it 20 or 10 dollars physical. I also buy about 5-10 games a year, period, on sale or not, but generally I think I already covered 100 dollars on my PS4 in terms of physical.

PSN games go half price too at times, but it's not as consistent as physical. And of course there are lots of games that don't go on sale often.

Edit: Like, I've been waiting to buy a PS5 forever. I wouldn't choose the Digital over the Physical once it becomes available because I know in the US there are just way too many good physical sales.

nanskee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 31, 2017
It's pretty great but it barely exists. I don't even think it's 1/8 of PS5 in Canadian market

OP
OP
Cactuar

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
Yall are miserable, OP just trying to have a nice uplifting thread to share excitement and you just can't help to be your jaded sarcastic selves. Anyways yeah I have the disc version but can see the appeal for digital only, and it doesn't have that ugly disc bulge lol.

I mean, I see plenty of threads being negative towards these companies. Are we not allowed to be positive without the name-calling? Does it make me "cool" to be negative?

These are video games. They are escape.

DentalGoodnaturedAfricanbushviper-small.gif

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
They took an upfront hit for guaranteed $$$ down the road due to most sales having to come through PSN?

Oct 27, 2017
will be interesting if the DE does outsell the disc console because that's going to lead to a very different outlook on the future. I think its one a lot of the industry is hoping for.
It will be interesting. I don't think either XSS or DE will outsell their counterparts but the ratio will be key. If they stay at 20-30% of all console sales in 3-4 years, I wonder if they will even make a slim digital model.

I think games going 50-70% digital doesn't mean consumers are willing to give up in used games/selling games especially with $70 games incoming. It will be interesting to see how each sku Sells once supply is acceptable all around

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
I'd have been much more inclined to buy an all digital Series X for 100 less since that has a bigger HDD to begin with and 95% of the time for me it's a Game Pass box.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Even though I'm all-digital when it comes to games I will be buying the Disc Version for 4k blu ray

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
Hmmm maybe I am remembering incorrectly, but for its time, Xbox 360 was literally better than all PC tech available regarding the GPU and had a tri core 6 thread CPU as PC CPUs were just starting to get 2ish. That was 399 and 299 USD for the core Version.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
They're impossible to get now, but by the time there is stock it will make more sense. Look at how teh ps4 did not drop in price as much as previous consoles. It's like a "price drop" is built-in. It will be interesting if they ever come out with a 399 disk version, or bloat that back up to 499 somehow while cutting another 100 off a redesign of the digital to push it even harder.

OP
OP
Cactuar

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
Real question is when is MS going to come out with a Digital Edition Series X? If I'm forced to get on board to play Bethesda games, I want full power with a slimmer profile. Series S is a no go for me.

This is a real question. Microsoft was actually the first one to release an all digital version of a console that had the same specs as the base model (Xbox One SAD).

EntelechyFuff

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Nov 19, 2019
I see this more like "we NEED to have a $400 device out there" than "we WANT to have a $400 device out there".
I generally agree with this, but there's the fact that the physical design of the digital PS5 feels like the intended profile of the system compared to the disc version.

g-m1n1

Oct 27, 2017
Luxembourg
Hmmm maybe I am remembering incorrectly, but for its time, Xbox 360 was literally better than all PC tech available regarding the GPU and had a tri core 6 thread CPU as PC CPUs were just starting to get 2ish. That was 399 and 299 USD for the core Version.
But no Wifi, no HDMI port and most of the Day 1 died some months/years after. Maybe investing 100$ more would have been better :-D

But yeah 360 and PS3 had some awesome tech!

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Even at 400 Sony would prefer everyone buy the digital I'd say. Don't forget that on PSN they get 100% of the money from their first party games and they don't have to pay the retailer's cut for third party stuff. That makes a huge difference on profitability.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
The price hike of their games probably helped

i was thinking that literally today. their first party games are more than most third party which are still £59.99 - £69.99 is insane and post-launch honeymoon where i'll pay anything for new stuff, it's really putting me off anything i don't know i'll love

OP
OP
Cactuar

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
This idea that PSN titles or digital releases in general, are always full price and only by buying physical you get discounts is ludicrous. Is it easier and more common to find physical games on sale? Sure. Are you stuck paying $60 if you go digital? Laughably false. I have been 100% digital for over a decade and I buy at full retail price only few selected franchises because I want them on day 1. I have hundreds of games in my library across all 4 platforms and I can guestimate that less than 10% of those games were purchased full price. Shocking!

Spot on. The notion that being a digital only buyer is a money bags situation is a false one. I only buy on sales and PSN has some great ones. Now yes, buying Day One you do have to pay MSRP, but unless I like a game enough to get it Day One, then I'm waiting for a sale in every other situation.

(Granted, there are those times where for some goddamn reason that ONE obscure game you want takes like two years to go on sale. I'M LOOKING YOUR WAY Y'S VIII. But in those instances I just stand firm on my "wait until sale" motto and play something else in the meantime).

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
Was gonna say if its a "relative to its time" thing, I didn't think the PS5 is the most powerful (although admittedly I'm not someone who has followed that sort of thing)

CabooseMSG

Jun 27, 2020
They can sell it for 399 because they only made like 5% DE, but they get to say they're cheaper because of it.

callamp

Oct 27, 2017
Even at 400 Sony would prefer everyone buy the digital I'd say. Don't forget that on PSN they get 100% of the money from their first party games and they don't have to pay the retailer's cut for third party stuff. That makes a huge difference on profitability.

And the price of digital games, particularly new releases, is simply higher than retail across most markets.

In Australia, the DE could be free and it would still be a terrible value proposition given the price of digital new release games.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
It's not a $399 device, it's a $499 device with a cut down $399 sku, just like how ps3 had a cheaper cut down unappealing sku at launch that was barely stocked, so the majority of units and price was effectively $599

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
It's selling at a loss hoping to balance out business-wise via the digital-only aspect. They don't seem to be producing a ton of them, which I think is intentional. They took the design of the normal system, and removed the disc drive. It's really not a bad deal, but it's not exactly sleek, and not what most would call cheap.

(I do think it's low-key a great deal if you don't mind the loss of the disc drive, considering it's being sold at the MSRP of the PS4 Pro, and is a massive jump from its capabilities.)

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
And the price of digital games, particularly new releases, is simply higher than retail across most markets.

In Australia, the DE could be free and it would still be a terrible value proposition given the price of digital new release games.

Anybody who cares about value shouldn't be touching a DE console in Australia. PSN launch price is $125aud for next gen only games.

Judge

Vault-Tec Seal of Approval
Oct 25, 2017
Considering they made like 7 units of the DE just so they could market it as "starting at $399" I wouldn't champion this as some amazing thing. The system is $499

Shrennin

Oct 25, 2017
Considering they made like 7 units of the DE just so they could market it as "starting at $399" I wouldn't champion this as some amazing thing. The system is $499

Pretty much.

Also, it ties you into a digital ecosystem, so there's that. I personally find the disk version better for that reason/option, and I like digital games. I just don't want to be forced into it as the only option.

Regardless, Sony likely makes more money off digital PS5 owners than disk based owners in the long term.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
Easy: they produced only a few, and considering how absurldy expensive are Ps5 digital games they'll recover the investment if you buy a few games on their store, which is the only option you really have.

Darren Lamb

Dec 1, 2017
I went Digi, I didn't have very many physical games and liked the look of it better. I knew I was getting a Series X that would have a disc drive too

Generally happy, but I bought my first PS4 in 2018 and there wasn't always a big difference between physical and PSN prices by that point. Doing it day 1 reminded me that I'd have to be more patient for things to drop in price, or just be OK spending a little more

MrFox

VFX Rendering Pipeline Developer
Verified
Jun 8, 2020
They "delivered" like 20 of them. Wake me up when theyre widely available, otherwise its just a very controlled loss so they can market a lower number than the ps5 ypull actually find in stock.
The production is split 25/75, and the last polls before launch were somewhere around 33% purchase intent versus the Disc version. So I think these hyperboles are falling flat and are disconnected from reality.