• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
As someone who has been buying digital and gamesharing with my bro since PS3 days, it's like Sony made this console for us. $100 cheaper and looks better than the physical edition, was an instant buy.

TripleBee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
Vancouver
They had to tell their shareholders they were taking losses by selling consoles - so I'm guessing they reached $399 by taking a heavy loss.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
£70 games lmfao

Will remain physical for as long as I can with those funny prices; to me that just nuliifies any excitement for what this value proposition is offering

Deusmico

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Are 4K blu ray drives $20?

not for uhd

"The new console also includes a UHD BD-ROM player, with a bill of materials (BOM) cost of $33.50, versus the previous $18 conventional Blu-Ray drive."

www.businesswire.com

IHS Markit Teardown Analysis: Microsoft’s Xbox One S Brings Significant Value Gains with Minimal Commercial Pain

Despite a small increase in bill-of-materials cost, the new Xbox One S delivers for consumers in terms of improved performance and features, according

so 70$ difference in material costs + no expenses due to disc repairs(the most common fault in consoles) + increased income though digital only.

looks like a sensitive move.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
Yep.

And honestly, it wasn't under everyone's noses. I was calling this at $399 for months before they announced pricing. As did many. Heck, I'd been predicting a $399 PS5 since before I knew there was going to be two skus.

I remember a lot of people insisting that a $399 price was a pipe dream and I was just like, nah, there will be a $399 version. My thinking was that if Sony wanted to experiment with higher base pricing they would have done so with the PS4 Pro. That even that, a core-focused product without the same sales expectations as a new console, was $399 told me they were committed to this price point.

Sotha_Sil

Nov 4, 2017
If I had much interest in the WWS' output, I'd have been all over that PS5 DE. Incredible value and work by Sony.

Kazooie

Jul 17, 2019
Spoiler: The next 399$ console that will release will be the most powerful 399$ console, again (unless Switch 2 will be 399$). To have the most powerful hardware at that price at that time for a type of hardware that only gets refreshed every 3 years and with only two competitors for max performance will always be the most powerful at that price (unless a rival system launches at the same price with a slight tech advantage simultaneously as happened with the original Xbox One).

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Took a disc drive out and charged you $10 more for your games. Easy, made the $100 back fast.

____

Oct 27, 2017
Miami, FL
The roundabout answer is Marketing, but they really did do it. And people don't give them credit for it.

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018
Locking you to digital sales only
Raising first party game prices to $70
More expensive controller than PS4, at $70

PS5 DE is not a miracle.

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just a word of caution, OP. This thread won't go down well in here. You see, ERA doesn't like PS5 DE all that much as you can already see by things that were posted. Personally, I love my PS5 DE. I paid less because I didn't require optical drive. It's an awesome idea, almost like a modular console or a PC (you pay only for what you need).

I haven't bought a game disc since PS3. I don't know anyone from my real life or online friends who buys game discs. But apparently everyone here on ERA does, like it's 1999.

OP
OP
Cactuar

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
It's a great value for those that don't need the drive.

However, backwards compatibility is important to me, especially PS4 compatibility. Simply put, both consoles last generation were underpowered from day one, and lots of games that were great, stood to be even better. Having the ability to play all my PS4 disks on a PS5 was mandatory for me, and well worth the extra $USD.

Absolutely. If you were not digital last gen OR are extremely frugal it may still be better for you to pay the extra $100 bucks and try to save the money on used discs. I can definitely see that, I didn't go all digital until last gen.

"How did Sony deliver the most powerful $399 console ever made under our noses?"

They took a loss on the approximately 4 units they made so they could market with "Starting at $399" and then never made another unit.

This could very well be strategic and true. But I firmly believe when the dust settles the PS5 DE will be the highest selling SKU.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Part of me thinks that they brought the DE out at launch as a way to combat the Xbox Series S and the $299 price point. it was always in the cards, but Sony didn't want to give Microsoft market share on the cheap end.

Then again anytime I look on ebay just for kicks I see at least a 10:1 ratio of disc consoles so I'm guessing that Sony isn't pushing their digital console anyway at the moment.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
How cheap physical games get on the PS4 and likely the PS5 means that buying a digital only console to save money is not a good idea.

You can also probably thank the Series S for pushing the price of this down.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
Just a word of caution, OP. This thread won't go down well in here. You see, ERA doesn't like PS5 DE all that much as you can already see by things that were posted. Personally, I love my PS5 DE. I paid less because I didn't require optical drive. It's an awesome idea, almost like a modular console or a PC (you pay only for what you need).

I haven't bought a game disc since PS3. I don't know anyone from my real life or online friends who buys game discs. But apparently everyone here on ERA buys discs like it's 1999.

Holy shit at the defensiveness in this post lol

People have right to dislike a digital-only model, if you can't get over it that's on you. No one is telling you to not get a Digital console lmao

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
People keep talking up the series S as being a beast when it's a stopgap version between the Xbox One S (not even the X) and the Series X. The true new-gen "winner" of bang for your buck is the PS5 DE, easily.
I'm more impressed with the S at its price point. It's tiny. It's silent. It's incredibly powerful.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Because they're taking a loss and I would expect Sony to start going the Nintendo route of never putting their first party games on sale even at the new $70 price.

Fizie

Jan 21, 2018
And to make up for it, they're gouging customers with their game prices (thoughts and prayers Europeans)

oneils

Oct 25, 2017
Ottawa Canada
Or you buy PSN wallet top ups on places like CDkeys for under retail price.

I got an all digital, mainly because it looks so much better than the disc version, bonus being that there's no random drive start up noise to go along with the zero coil whine and silent fan....So clearly got the better of the 2 SKU's on offer!

I have a digital only unit and its loud as hell. Coil whine seems to vibrate the whole machine when running.

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Holy shit at the defensiveness in this post lol

People have right to dislike a digital-only model, if you can't get over it that's on you. No one is telling you to not get a Digital console lmao
Really? Everyone stormed in here shitting on PS5 DE asap and I'm the defensive one? Sure, Jan.

Roytheone

Oct 25, 2017
As an European : by overpricing their games on the psn store. Its crazy expensive to buy digital on their store here.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017

I haven't bought a game disc since PS3. I don't know anyone from my real life or online friends who buys game discs. But apparently everyone here on ERA does, like it's 1999.

I buy discs becausd they are cheaper, period. This is not an anti digital crusade, in fact half my ps4 library is probably digital.

But Sony gave me no choice when they upped their prices to 79.99€, so I went physical for cheaper prices.

The DE is a great offer, certainly the way to go if you are digital only, but there's a lot of reason to still buy physical. There'd no need to go all "Era hates digital" and then be dismissive about buying physical.

Kazooie

Jul 17, 2019
I only started buying games on discs in 2002, so can I please have a few extra years of that? Like, until my (hopefully not too untimely) death?

Raigor

May 14, 2020
Really? Everyone stormed in here shitting on PS5 DE asap and I'm the defensive one? Sure, Jan.

Who is shitting? People are telling to OP how Sony priced the Digital model.

If explaining how things work is shitting on something then yes you are the one actually being defensive as fuck and can't get over it.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm fully on board the digital train and yet I can't bring myself to buy a digital only console. I need that disc option.... even if I never use it.

It's such a good deal though.... if I can find a digital version but not a disc version I'm pretty sure I'd cave. Unbelievable product.

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
It's a wonderful console, I love my digital PS5. Incredible and fun machine. I hope more get in stock so people can find it.

Deleted member 2172

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
With their stupid-ass price increase I think it was a very easy decision to make for Sony to make a digital-only PS5.
The roundabout answer is Marketing, but they really did do it. And people don't give them credit for it.
Im confused. What are we supposed to be crediting? The wool they pull over peoples eyes that think they're saving £££ when buying the DE?

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
I'm more impressed with the S at its price point. It's tiny. It's silent. It's incredibly powerful.

Yeah, it's pretty great that you can get a thoroughly modern console built around high-speed flash for $299. I think enthusiast forums like this miss that a lot of families are priced out of the market even at $400. Sony's answer for those people is, what, buy a PS4 for $300? I think the Series S is a much more compelling product, and I'm glad Microsoft made it.

I don't get the criticism of calling it a "stopgap." I think it's pretty clear Microsoft is moving toward a more iterative upgrade cycle. I don't think the Series S they sell in 2026 will be the same as the Series S they sell today.

bes.gen

Nov 24, 2017
loving it, already went completely digital last gen. so no loss there.
easily best hw value for the price.
no drive noise, looks much better than disc version.
glad was able to get one at launch.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
The real skill was in making an uncontroversial move towards a digital only future.

It was just a console generation ago where the idea of a Xbox console that restricted sharing games with friends or buying preowned was rejected.

It's worth it to shut out competing markets.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
The reason it's at 400 dollars is also the reason why the SSD is only 600 GB and why games are now 80 dollars/euro's.

And why it's making weird noises when even playing PS4 games and streaming services.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017

Era this era that.

Physical sales are still roughly half (in most countries probably more than half) of console game sales.
But even I bought the regulra edition despite not buying discs for a long time now. Why?

Because the digital edition was barely available lmao
one of the biggest game store ps5 shipment breakdowns in my country was like 10% digital edition, rest was standard

and thats ignoring the god awful price difference in a lot of countries between PSN and in store prices

but sure, its just because era is stuck in 1999.