• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Nov 8, 2017
It's not the worst UI I've ever seen but it's far less classy / timeless / usable than the XMB it succeeded. I get that they wanted to be different but in the end it's just a bit shite.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
It was bad at release and worse now. Even organizing the screen is annoying, it's really prone to things going the wrong way or trying to force create folders.

Faster than 3DS is about the only good thing, but 3DS has much better organization and customization.

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I liked the UI, it was extremely snappy. The issue was it was only optimized for touch input, but this was implemented inconsistently, so where you could or couldn't use buttons for stuff was never clear.

Also that store is a trash fire.

wBENDERw

Oct 27, 2017
while it was not great it was functional
I admit I did not play around with the OS as much as I played the games on it

RIP Vita

Metallia

May 31, 2018
I never understood the purpose of the page that comes up when you pick a games icon, where you then have to pick again to actually start the game loading. Y'know, the peelable screen with the links and near info. It felt like a completely unnecessary extra step.

I also feel like the main UI runs at a lower frame rate sometimes.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
I didn't mind it, but yeah it could've been a lot better. IIRC there was a patch that actually reduced jaggies on the bubbles lol. I don't think I ever bothered navigating with the D-pad.
This reminds me I need to charge my Vita and download a couple of games from the store that I bought, but haven't come around to playing yet.
I also feel like the main UI runs at a lower frame rate sometimes.
It definitely does, I had this problem a few weeks back but it had been so long since I had used my Vita that I didn't recall whether it had been like that all the time or not, then one day I decided to restart it and it was fixed. Weird issue to have.

Bomi-Chan

Nov 8, 2017
if i am honest, iam shocked to read all this here.
i was quite surprised and comfortable using the vita from 2012-2016(core time)
comparing it to wii u and the 3ds back then, it was such a step up.
after using cfw on my vita, and never going back, i dont even know if the vita is worthwhile. the menu sucks, the deleting and downloading hasnt been updated since then. sony just abandoned it. such a shame, the vita is a gorgeous handheld though.

TimPV3

Oct 30, 2017
I just hated that stuff like Settings and Trophies were apps you had to open and not part of the menu.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I love it, is way better than the one on the switch, which although looks miles better isn't very functional when you have lots of games

stan423321

Oct 25, 2017
Vita is weird in some aspects, but at least the main menu is not 1D and you can rearrange stuff in a simple way.

XMB fans are crazy.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
The UI is fine for touch navigation, but using buttons (including playing on a PSTV) is really annoying. I wish they could have had something more similar to the XMB.

Deleted member 9714

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Probably my least favorite UI ever for a console. It's such a pain to organize and use. There are so many useless icons. The store is almost impossible to use.

Deleted member 10549

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's not bad. Vita is capable of multitasking and it works really great for that. It's also very fast and snappy ( I would even say that it's on par with Switch when it comes to OS fluidity). On the side note, I personally think that Crystal theme is a way to go. It changes icons and the awful background music to more pleasant one.

Are all Vita games compatible with it? My Vita died a while back (won't charge any more) and I was considering getting one of these, assuming I'll be able to play most of my Vita games on it.

Not on official firmware. You would have to hack it to be able to play all Vita games.

immortal-joe

Oct 25, 2017
Fully customizable, snappy as hell, end UI elements perfectly sized around tapping with your fingers. The store felt like a mobile off-shoot of what the PS3 store was like back then, so the slow nature of it became second nature.

Oct 30, 2017
It's fine on the vita where you have a touchscreen. It's absolutely ass on the Vita TV and Sony should be ashamed for not using a different interface for the vita tv.

Mar 18, 2018
At first I was like 'what is this shit?', but then it grew on me and i don't mind. Only thing that bothers me is the fact that the game doesn't launch when I click on the game icon, but requires two clicks.

Deleted member 4262

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was hoping they'd release a redesigned UI at some point but that dream is dead now. The worst part is the store though.. completely useless.

hank_tree

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's so bad. Love the download list showing you things you can't actually download. Like DLC for PS3 games.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Never had an issue with the bubbles, navigation using touch screen they make sense, similar to phones. PSP interface would have been awful for it.

RoeBear

Oct 27, 2017
Deals can be seen easily by going to the top left tab in the store then selecting weekly deals, which is the third option I believe.

Pandora012

Oct 25, 2017
I actually like the Vita bubbles, and haven't had any real issues with the UI. Then again, I'm pretty easy to please. The op's issues seem like a non issue.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
My one gripe outside of the store is how you need to swipe the screen to unlock it. Thankfully you can get around that with CFW. The home screen and live area are okay, but the PS store is pure misery. It's as if whoever designed it wanted to make its user want to snap their Vita in two. Bar none, the worst digital store experience of all time. An achievement in and of itself.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
I think overall, the UI is fine, not great, not terrible. But the fact that you can move anything around is great, and it was certainly a lot worse before you could put things in folders or use controls to navigate. The bubbles are ugly, and I don't like the staggered layout, but whatever, could be worse.

The live area, I'm mixed about. It is an extra step, but sometimes (rarely tbh), it'll show you cool stats, like your progress to a certain trophy, which is something I wish PS4 had, afaik you can't see progress for a specific trophy anywhere on PS4.

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think it's great for using with the touchscreen and haven't really had any problems with it for these past seven years or so.

drog

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
such a huge step down from the PSP, which is the case in many ways when it comes to the VITA.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's a good UI, I still think it does great for what it is needed. It's definitely not as bad as you are saying it is.

i-Jest

Oct 25, 2017
I've had no issues with the user interface. It's even better with a well designed theme. It's fast, responsive, and your not jumping through a ton of hoops to play games. Maybe my tolerance levels for these things is higher than some. It's a product of its time people need to make their peace with that. There could be improvements but obviously Sony doesn't rcare to explore those possibilities.

Kendall

Banned
Apr 22, 2019
I thought the UI was perfect honestly. It's as simple as using the touch screen to select what you want to use.

It's not ideal for Playstation TV, but it works just fine on the regular Vita.

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017
It was definitely a departure from the standard Sony elegant designs. PSP / PS3 were the best so far imo

Oct 25, 2017
The bubbles are fine, it takes a lot of work to make them look good though.
I wish I had my vita on me so I could screenshot my set up. Basically I shoved like 80% of everything into two folders, and then I only have 4 bubbles on my main screen. Settings, Store, Browser and Trophy's I believe.

Then I have a page for PS vita games, a page for PS1 classics and a page for PSP games.

The trick is also getting a darker background, the default one is a bit too bright.

It works fine, but it's definitely not as slick as the XMB

Kendall

Banned
Apr 22, 2019
The bubbles are fine, it takes a lot of work to make them look good though.
I wish I had my vita on me so I could screenshot my set up. Basically I shoved like 80% of everything into two folders, and then I only have 4 bubbles on my main screen. Settings, Store, Browser and Trophy's I believe.

Then I have a page for PS vita games, a page for PS1 classics and a page for PSP games.

The trick is also getting a darker background, the default one is a bit too light.
Take a picture when you get your Vita. I wanna see.