• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
10cops-fictional1-mobileMasterAt3x.jpg

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/10/arts/television/protests-fictional-cops.html

It was only a matter of time before the protests came for "Paw Patrol."

"Paw Patrol" is a children's cartoon about a squad of canine helpers. It is basically a pretense for placing household pets in a variety of cool trucks. The team includes Marshall, a firefighting Dalmatian; Rubble, a bulldog construction worker; and Chase, a German shepherd who is also a cop. In the world of "Paw Patrol," Chase is drawn to be a very good boy who barks stuff like "Chase is on the case!" and "All in a police pup's day!" as he rescues kittens in his tricked-out S.U.V.

But last week, when the show's official Twitter account put out a bland call for "Black voices to be heard," commenters came after Chase. "Euthanize the police dog," they said. "Defund the paw patrol." "All dogs go to heaven, except the class traitors in the Paw Patrol."

It's a joke, but it's also not. As the protests against racist police violence enter their third week, the charges are mounting against fictional cops, too. Even big-hearted cartoon police dogs — or maybe especially big-hearted cartoon police dogs — are on notice. The effort to publicize police brutality also means banishing the good-cop archetype, which reigns on both television and in viral videos of the protests themselves. "Paw Patrol" seems harmless enough, and that's the point: The movement rests on understanding that cops do plenty of harm.

LEGO has halted marketing on its "LEGO City Police Station" and "Police Highway Arrest" sets. A&E has pulled its reality show "Live PD" from the schedule. On Tuesday night, "Cops," the show that branded suspects as "bad boys" and spawned the whole genre of crime reality television, was canceled after 32 seasons.

Details how cops in media, how things went by without people not caring until now where everyone is suddenly realizing the shows might be part of the problem why cops weren't getting any scrutiny until now.

ACAB and AFCAB aka All Fake Cops Are Bastards.

Lock if old.

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
One of the strangest interactions I've had on this forum was when I said Paw Patrol sucks in some thread about children's TV shows and someone got VERY offended.

Pop-O-Matic

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

"If we don't make a change in this country, these genocidal cops will have free reign over our brothers and sisters," said Orosco, lighting a joint with the crackling flames of his pajamas. "I couldn't stand seeing myself every night, before sleepy time, wearing the badges and regalia of this fucked up establishment. I had to do something. I don't give a fuck if they're not real — all cops are bastards, all of them. You can't cut any corners on cutting them all down to size."

"Last week I started ditching diapers, this week I learned about responses to police brutality, and I think I nailed that lesson before I even learned how to shit in the toilet. Any half-wit paying attention to the news and the history of this country can figure it out: Chase is on the case of a flagrant abuse of power," he added.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
"Police are good" is so woven into American pop culture that I'm honestly shocked the current movement has as much traction as it does. It seems like it would be way, way harder to deprogram people, particularly the white/affluent people that have generally positive experiences with them.

makonero

Oct 27, 2017
definitely would make sense to revamp the show/series around something other than cops. kids don't care deeply about paw patrol lore. they like the puppy.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
"Police are good" is so woven into American pop culture that I'm honestly shocked the current movement has as much traction as it does. It seems like it would be way, way harder to deprogram people, particularly the white/affluent people that have generally positive experiences with them.

The deprogramming is definitely going to take a long time (and unfortunately a lot of people never will) but the speed at which the messaging has taken root is definitely impressive. "Even fictional cops are bad" should be a fringe position and yet it's hit the mainstream in the span of about a week, to the effect of getting some impressive legitimate results. Shit's moving at lightspeed, and it'll be interesting to see how much people can actually keep up.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
I'm laughing at the absurdity of people hating on fucking PAW PATROL.

However, fuck PAW PATROL.

ruttyboy

Oct 29, 2017
Nobody even mentioning when they decided patrolman Chase wasn't enough and he became special forces Chase.
This was why I stopped my kid watching the series a year or so back. Once I saw he had surveillance drones I noped that right off the menu.

Feels weird to have been ahead of an issue for once.

EDIT: Also, fuck Ryder, the guy's a twat, the biggest charisma vacuum I have ever seen on television.

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
definitely would make sense to revamp the show/series around something other than cops. kids don't care deeply about paw patrol lore. they like the puppy.
Fire Department and Search & Rescue divisions? That would be better than the whole Pig Dogs thing.

Also, for other 80s heads, fuck C.O.P..S, the "good guys" were the "bad guys" all alone (sucks because it was rare to have a show like that in the 80s with a black team leader).

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
Surprised RoboCop in MK didn't get a lot of heat since he dropped right around the time things started popping off.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
I don't like Paw Patrol but my child watches it religiously. That being said, I don't even think he realizes that Chase wears a cop uniform.

Oct 27, 2017
I dislike Paw Patrol as much as any adult but shouldn't people concentrate on more pressing stuff right now?

Also what's the endgame here? Erase cops from every piece of media in existence? Shouldn't there be some depictions left of what a cop should be like?

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017

I mean, all the things they quoted in that article sound less like "hating" and more like shotposting prompted by the ridiculousness of the show's Twitter account realizing they were fucked and choosing a theoretically positive but bizarre way to handle it.

bawjaws

Oct 28, 2017
chase fucking sucks no one likes chase
Co-signed. Fuck Chase.
Nobody even mentioning when they decided patrolman Chase wasn't enough and he became special forces Chase.
Co-signed. Fuck Surveillance State Chase.

Co-signed. FUCK Paw Patrol.

Xterrian

Apr 20, 2018
Can I hijack this thread and point out how two cops harassed and terrified Patrick in the maniac episode of SpongeBob.

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
Surprised RoboCop in MK didn't get a lot of heat since he dropped right around the time things started popping off.
robocop is from a movie that shows the dangers of police brutality, militarization, and facism (and privatization of government services)

its not pro-cop in any way unless you decide you want to miss the entire point of it

so why would anyone criticize his inclusion in mortal kombat?

Sober

Oct 25, 2017
I dislike Paw Patrol as much as any adult but shouldn't people concentrate on more pressing stuff right now?

Also what's the endgame here? Erase cops from every piece of media in existence? Shouldn't there be some depictions left of what a cop should be like?
Yes we still will likely have cops in TV/movies but much much much less likely for them to be protagonists if at best. Sucks for all the crews and cast on cop shows but it sort of had it coming.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hollywood is thanking their fucking stars that Bad Boys 3 and Sonic the Hedgehog came out before the pandemic hit. Same thing for gaming too with the recent Resident Evil remakes and Astral Chain.

Cop media is going to have a very hard time after all of this.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
robocop is from a movie that shows the dangers of police brutality, militarization, and facism (and privatization of government services)

its not pro-cop in any way unless you decide you want to miss the entire point of it

so why would anyone criticize his inclusion in mortal kombat?
Pretty sure the first Robocop movie was not pro police force at all.

The stuff that came out later though...

I don't think most people put that level of thought into it and probably just see him as a cool robot cop. Not that I am by any means complaining myself or anything, I'm glad it didn't get any heat, just kind of surprised is all.

Manbig

Oct 26, 2017
I don't think most people put that level of thought into it and probably just see him as a cool robot cop. Not that I am by any means complaining myself or anything, I'm glad it didn't get any heat, just kind of surprised is all.

Same thing happened with the Punisher really. Cops and military love using that logo, but completely miss the point.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017

Agreed this is losing sight on actual reformation.

They'll probably switch to DA Investigative Units so they can still largely have law and order procedurals without the outcry of police officers.

BanditoMac

Dec 13, 2017
damn, my daughter LOVES this show, so it's definitely been weird to 'reconcile' Chase.

but come on, they're all good pups!

I also know WAAAAY too much lore about this show

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Fire Department and Search & Rescue divisions? That would be better than the whole Pig Dogs thing.

Also, for other 80s heads, fuck C.O.P..S, the "good guys" were the "bad guys" all alone (sucks because it was rare to have a show like that in the 80s with a black team leader).

I don't remember them even having a black guy on the bad guy side at all. Several Italian stereotypes though.

The weird thing about that cartoon is that they got Bart Sears to draw up the designs and they were all roided up.

How long before Prowl is disowned by his Datsun brothers?