• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Zhao_Yun

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
While the sense of accomplishment part doesn't make any sence the follow up sentence does add in more context to mean that he is specifically talking about monster designs, and not about difficult monsters.

I know it's not about difficulty, but even then I don't agree that visual design has an effect on sense of accomplishment. If an enemy dies after one hit it does not matter how it looked.

Astraea

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
To be honest with you I don't know why he even had to put in "sense of accomplishment" in there. Would have been enough of an explanation for me that it feels incohesive to have cute enemies in a world that is portrayed as dark and dangerous.

Exactly. A sizeable portion of their female audience likes the cuter monster designs, and they use those in merchandising. He worries said players will be turned off by the more savage designs and won't want to play or buy merchandise. That makes sense.

Though likes Castile pointed out, he said there will be cute designs, and it is an anime jRPG so even in a "grittier" world there's still room for cute things.

So I hope Arise does well, because though I don't want all future Tales games to be dark and "mature", I definitely want more variety in the games.

Moogle

Top Mog
Oct 27, 2017
Try to think of the perspective the developer is coming from: he likely has data from surveys, market research, interviews with players, etc. that show certain behavioral trends.

He isn't thinking "I know women better than they do, and I know what they don't like." He's thinking "our market research data shows that women tend to favor more narrative, less mechanically difficult gameplay." I get that you guys expect everyone to tiptoe around a minefield when making any comments to not offend anyone, but I think you're looking a little too hard here

I have ~data from surveys~ that suggest women are sick of seeing clever little comments about how bad it is to have to "tiptoe around a minefield" to not be sexist, as if subsequent criticism of it is irrational and dangerous. Try thinking of that perspective.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
Japanese business man makes a comment about women and it's eye roll inducing.

Yup, typical day here. Hear nonsense like this and more living in Japan Everytime I turn on the TV lol

flare

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
He is talking about monster designs, as he feels that the large abandonment of cute designs may put off female fans. This has nothing to do with the difficulty of fighting said monsters.
Okay... That, er, doesn't make his comments any better. Would probably have been better served not including that part in the interview at all...

ZeroDS

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
This is weird and tone deaf considering Tales of has a pretty big female following in Japan

Zhao_Yun

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I wish OP would put all the extra info and context that people posted in this thread into his opening post. Judging by the last few responses I feel like his statement is being misinterpreted in several ways.

Just to make it clear again:
He means that he is worried that part of the female Tales fanbase might be put off by less cutesy monster design as this seems to be something that their female fanbase likes.

I understand that even this statement can be seen as problematic, but it should be noted that he is not arguing that
  • Women don't like difficult games
  • Women don't want to feel a sense of accomplishment
  • Women don't like Tales of games

Deleted member 35077

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Okay... That, er, doesn't make his comments any better. Would probably have been better served not including that part in the interview at all...
It was done to reisure the playerbase that cute designs will still be a thing in this game, as not everyone there reacted kindly to this game moving towards monstrous designs and abandoning of old iconic monsters. As for the female part that can be a grammar thing as they could've used 彼女たち, meaning a group of woman, but can be used when talking about a group mostly comprise of woman. But that's just my guess.

StayHandsome

Nov 30, 2017
I wish OP would put all the extra info and context that people posted in this thread into his opening post. Judging by the last few responses I feel like his statement is being misinterpreted in several ways.

He means that he is worried that part of the female Tales fanbase might be put off by less cutesy monster design as this seems to be something that their female fanbase likes.

I understand that even this statement can be seen as problematic, but it should be noted that he is not arguing that

The problem is that if you have context and attempt to empathize with the designer you'll realize that it was a nothing comment not even worthy of debate or discussion. And that obviously goes against the intent of the thread, to stir up controversy.

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore

I don't really think there's any context that makes the comment look good for people who are put off by gender generalisations. He says that they have made the monsters more intimidating in design so you feel more accomplished when you defeat them, but they were initially afraid that the female fanbase would not like scary monsters. It's no different from saying "we used a lot of blue in designing the game and were afraid that the girls playing it would prefer more pink".

I know its easy to post hot takes and move on, but atleast understand the actual context of the comments, even if you still disagree
The context is that a man thinks that girls don't like fighting scary monsters but boys wouldn't have a problem with that. :)

Zhao_Yun

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I don't really think there's any context that makes the comment look good for people who are put off by gender generalisations. He says that they have made the monsters more intimidating in design so you feel more accomplished when you defeat them, but they were initially afraid that the female fanbase would not like scary monsters. It's no different from saying "we used a lot of blue in designing the game and were afraid that the girls playing it would prefer more pink".

I'm not saying it makes the comment look good, but I think the other implications look even worse.

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
I'm not saying it makes the comment look good, but I think the other implications look even worse.
Does it really though? Is it worse to suggest that girls don't like hard games? It's all about preference right? "Girls don't like scary monsters" and "Girls don't like difficult games" are both about preferences in design (visual design and game design) that are gendered. That's how I see it.

People might think that not liking difficult games is a suggestion that a person might suck at games, hence it is worse because the suggestion is that girls suck at games, but I don't really see these sort of gendered comments as being that deep. In the end, as long as you think of people having preferences based on their gender, you are thinking of your audience as gender demographics with general taste defined by your gender first, before being individuals where the demographic is defined by their actual preference. (Ie: Players who like cute monsters might be unhappy with this change, vs Girls who like cute monsters might be unhappy with this change)

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
They clearly should follow SNK's footsteps and make a "Tales of... For Girls" animu boy dating sim!

Dec 23, 2018
The context is an executive for a franchise which's' most hardcore fanbase are japanese women should have focus group knowledge of what they like and dont so they can exploit it to get more money out of them, since thats the primary reason why the company exists. To get money.

The same thing happens with atelier, its a series with cute looking monsters for the most part, stories about cute girls doing cute things and being ambiguously gay and to us it might seem they are pandering to men, but in fact their most hardcore fanbase are again, japanese women.

Its blunt as all hell but different regional markets have different wants. Its like when a magazine did a survey on most popular female SNK fighter and women picked the big titty ninja (Mai) and men picked the demure ainu priestess (Nakoruru). One is assertive often times rude and doesn't give a fuck the other is a doll-like waifu.

Zhao_Yun

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Does it really though? Is it worse to suggest that girls don't like hard games? It's all about preference right? "Girls don't like scary monsters" and "Girls don't like difficult games" are both about preferences in design (visual design and game design) that are gendered. That's how I see it.

People might think that not liking difficult games is a suggestion that a person might suck at games, hence it is worse because the suggestion is that girls suck at games, but I don't really see these sort of gendered comments as being that deep. In the end, as long as you think of people having preferences based on their gender, you are thinking of your audience as gender demographics with general taste defined by your gender first, before being individuals where the demographic is defined by their actual preference. (Ie: Players who like cute monsters might be unhappy with this change, vs Girls who like cute monsters might be unhappy with this change)

I totally get where you're coming from and I might really think too deeply about this, but it is indeed the implication that girls lack the ability of playing a difficult game (if they dislike difficult games) that makes me feel that it is worse than not liking a certain visual design even though it might not be that big of a difference.

And yes, it would have been better to just state that players regardless of their gender who like cute monsters might be unhappy.
I wouldn't want to rule out the possibility that Bamco has user survey data that shows that it's primarily their female user base that puts any kind of significance on cute monsters, but I'd agree that even then you should not single them out as if none of the male players would be bothered by it.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
This is one of those threads where the original thing isn't great, like maybe it's based on their marketing research or whatever and just stated tactlessly, but then I see defenses which bring up stuff that isn't in the interview or highlight individual words of a translation from a language without articles or plurals and am like, maybe the thing in the title of the thread isn't the worst thing here.

Turnabout Sisters

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This is a mistranslation in my (hobbyist reading level) opinion. Here's the original quote:

あまりにも怖い敵を作ると、女性ユーザーの皆さんには嫌われてしまうかも……という考えもありますがやはりRPGのバトルというのは、敵を倒す達成感が重要だと思っていますので、そこをPVでも感じてもらえればと。

Even though there's this idea [that], if you make enemies too scary, women players might dislike that, (I) think it's important for an RPG battle to have a sense of accomplishment. Maybe it can even be felt in the preview video.

A charitable interpretation could be, *despite* the common view that female players might not like that, they are including them in the game regardless, because everybody enjoys that sense of accomplishment.

A pessimistic interpretation could be: "Even though we/I believe women players might dislike us making scary characters..."

whether the speaker/company is being sexist here is ambiguous to me, but I lean toward the benefit of the doubt here. Partially because 考えあります is distancing himself from the idea, "there's even an idea that"

By the way, I also think "some" may be a mistranslation, "皆さん" is absolutely all, as far as I know. Even if it *can* be interpreted as "some", it doesn't really make a difference in the end, as it's still referring to a stereotype.

I'm willing to be wrong on any of this but I wouldn't hold the original translation up as damning evidence.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
This is a mistranslation in my (hobbyist reading level) opinion. Here's the original quote:

あまりにも怖い敵を作ると、女性ユーザーの皆さんには嫌われてしまうかも……という考えもありますがやはりRPGのバトルというのは、敵を倒す達成感が重要だと思っていますので、そこをPVでも感じてもらえればと。

Even though there's this idea [that], if you make enemies too scary, women players might dislike that, think it's important for an RPG battle to have a sense of accomplishment. Maybe it can even be felt in the preview video.

A charitable interpretation could be, *despite* the common view that female players might not like that, they are including them in the game regardless, because everybody enjoys that sense of accomplishment.

A pessimistic interpretation could be: "Even though we/I believe women players might dislike us making scary characters..."

whether the speaker/company is being sexist here is ambiguous to me, but I lean toward the benefit of the doubt here. Partially because 考えあります is distancing himself from the idea, "there's even an idea that"

By the way, I also think "some" may be a mistranslation, "皆さん" is absolutely all, as far as I know. Even if it *can* be interpreted as "some", it doesn't really make a difference in the end, as it's still referring to a stereotype.

I'm willing to be wrong on any of this but I wouldn't hold the original translation up as damning evidence.

Read this post and looked at the included Japanese text. I agree with this assessment.
Painfully overliteral versions of the bits you highlighted might be:

"everybody of female users would be made to dislike"
"even though the thought exists that [...], but"

Last edited:

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Lol.

Trying to think of any mistranslation that would make this feel reasonable...

...having a tough time...

Zhao_Yun

Oct 25, 2017
Germany

I might be wrong with this, but while 皆さん literally means "all/everyone" isn't it also used as a polite plural indication?

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
乙女 (Otome) means young girls.
乙女ゲーム (Otome games) are games aimed towards young girls.

So, ザキングオブファイターズの乙女ゲーム when literally translated would be KoF for young girls.
I speak Japanese :x And I'm not sure what the difference is anyway? It still means this KOF is for (young) girls, as opposed to regular KOF.

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
I might be wrong with this, but while 皆さん literally means "all/everyone" isn't it also used as a polite plural indication?
Yup, in this context he's just referencing the female userbase that they were afraid of upsetting. It's a general plural and not something that can be dissected as "some" or "all" like in English.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I speak Japanese :x And I'm not sure what the difference is anyway? It still means this KOF is for (young) girls, as opposed to regular KOF.
I assume what that member is trying to get at is that there's a genre of games aimed at girls which are called otome games, so "King of Fighters Romance Game" might sound less presumptuous...

except from what I can see, ザキングオブファイターズの乙女ゲーム isn't actually the name of the game, because when I try googling that I just bump into a Famitsu article about キング・オブ・ファイターズ for ガールズ (literally just "King of Fighters for girls", in English, but written in Japanese). So I think the whole thing's kinda moot anyway.