• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
The context is that a man thinks that girls don't like fighting scary monsters but boys wouldn't have a problem with that. :)

He's not basing it off of his own mind, he's basing it off of what a percentage of female players have said historically regarding the series based on their own internal information

Its one thing to argue the guy "thinks" something, its another to say that the data he's using from the userbase to support his conclusion is bad

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
I assume what that member is trying to get at is that there's a genre of games aimed at girls which are called otome games, so "King of Fighters Romance Game" might sound less presumptuous...

except from what I can see, ザキングオブファイターズの乙女ゲーム isn't actually the name of the game, because when I try googling that I just bump into a Famitsu article about キング・オブ・ファイターズ for ガールズ (literally just "King of Fighters for girls", in English, but written in Japanese). So I think the whole thing's kinda moot anyway.
Yup, they never refer to the game as that. They do that all the time here, one time I went to a tonkatsu restaurant and the dish I wanted to order was "for ladies" for whatever ridiculous reason. I of course ordered it anyway :P

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
He's not basing it off of his own mind, he's basing it off of what a percentage of female players have said historically regarding the series based on their own internal information
Sounds like you're being generous in your reading of it when he literally says that it's a mindset they have, rather than referencing any feedback or data. There's no evidence at all that female Tales fans have ever expressed any opinion on scary monsters, and it's not a point anyone has bothered to ask about because the topic has never come up.

"I like cute monsters!" != "I don't like scary monsters."

Lots of people play both Dragon Quest and Dark Souls for example. :P

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Sounds like you're being generous in your reading of it when he literally says that it's a mindset they have, rather than referencing any feedback or data.

...your probably right. But that's the most generous i can be considering how they have attempted to portray the series based on female trends in the past. It would not be the first time they have adjusted things based on the feedback they have received from users and internal play testers, women in particular. I can recall Xillia 2 in particular being affected because of Milla's popularity with female users. They even reused her design in Berseria as another response to this

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
I'm gonna assume he's saying this because female gamers make up the majority of merch buyers for the series and like all of that merch is "cute" based. But still, that's about characters and mascots, not monsters. I mean when I think cute monsters I don't think Tales to begin with.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
I'm gonna assume he's saying this because female gamers make up the majority of merch buyers for the series and like all of that merch is "cute" based. But still, that's about characters and mascots, not monsters. I mean when I think cute monsters I don't think Tales to begin with.

its not as if tales doesnt have cute monsters...but the main point of the paragraph was about their intent to make all designs, from the monsters to the enviorments and the chatacters uniform and consistent to the world of the game..which was why they were having the environmental art for all the areas being done by the same person who did the character designs, rather than multiple artists as per usual

Kayla

Oct 28, 2017
As someone that likes a challenge like sekiro and dark souls fuck this guy. also fuck asbel.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like you're being generous in your reading of it when he literally says that it's a mindset they have, rather than referencing any feedback or data. There's no evidence at all that female Tales fans have ever expressed any opinion on scary monsters, and it's not a point anyone has bothered to ask about because the topic has never come up.

"I like cute monsters!" != "I don't like scary monsters."

Lots of people play both Dragon Quest and Dark Souls for example. :P

Hell, if you're going to make that comparison, you don't even have to go that far. Dragon Quest also gives you things like this:

the_demon_kingevjzm.png

in the same game that introduces:

jzj0b.png

Having both cute and intimidating things in the same game is hardly new and untested ground.

Izanagi89

Oct 27, 2017
This thread title and OP was so deliberately worded to incite outrage... this isn't even his own views on the matter.

EarthPainting

Oct 26, 2017
Town adjacent to Silent Hill
No clue what he's on about about the sense of accomplishment from taking down an intimidating design, but I do feel part of what he's saying. When I first saw the Arise trailer, my initial reaction was that it looked less appealing off the bat. It was immediately clear they were going for an edgier direction, but they didn't go far enough for me to fully buy into it, yet did take it far enough that I noticed the intent. Now it's in that awkward middle zone where I can tell they're not really succeeding at what they set out to do. The combination of the overall palette and lighting, and contrast between the texture detail of the world and characters gives me Star Ocean vibes, which I don't really consider a compliment.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Jesus, the C O N T E X T Defense Force in this thread is a fucking embarrassment.

The guy should really learn to shut the fuck up if he's going to spout stupid shit like this, and that's the long and short of it.

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
Namco Bandai never fails to disappoint.
Curious to see if Harada as producer will change that.

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
There's the danger of ignoring the word "some", which changes the entire assertion of the thread title and is essentially accurate. Some male players probably feel the same way just based on the Sekiro threads a while back.

Edited for spelling.
We both know it being technically accurate is not what he wanted to convey

Feb 13, 2018
Japan
I mean, a huge amount of Tales fans are girls that play it mainly for the male characters rather than the combat. I don't think it's that unreasonable to wonder if that type of fan might not like big scary enemies, though I agree it's a bit of a strange concern.

C_Ali88

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (permanent): Misogyny, inflammatory generalizations, and disingenuous commentary surrounding gender and nationality
I tend not to care what individuals think.

Like, every line is now something to fight against or to be enraged about. Tedious.

Let him believe it and women who enjoy games with challenge and a sense of accomplishment play the games that give you that.

Other than that do I care if Japan is sexist in ways? No, I don't live in Japan..

Let Japanese women revolt against their men centered cultural view.

I wouldn't get peeved about a female producer saying "Men won't like cutesy games with no immediate gratification" -if that's what she believes, cool!

Every human on Earth has at least one belief that others would not agree with. Are we to really be outraged at every single one? Scared of the societal backlash of being human and prone to ridiculous beliefs and actions? Are we robots now? We all should be and think the same? Have the same morals and beliefs?

Chill out people and carry on! The age of twitter rage and condemnation through social media is a fickle mistress/mantress... (To be inclusive ya know)

Last edited:

ZiZ

Oct 27, 2017
I'm assuming they have marketing data about what designs appeal to which demographics.

If someone said we designed these cute pokemon to appeal to girls, would that be so controversial?

ZiZ

Oct 27, 2017
I'm a guy, and dependening on the game I prefer cuter mascot like characters to freaky abomination like characters. (I wouldn't want a cute zombie in resident evil, but in JRPGs I like slimes, cacuatars... etc)

Sanox

Oct 25, 2017
Feels like a unecessarily specific statement to make it about female players but I guess they have some feedback. Tales has a pretty big female player base and this is probably something they noticed from comments or talking with female players at the Tales of Festivals or anywhere else that quite a few of them like the cuter aesthetic of monsters in the series

Nintendo also knows this

Last edited:

Ganondolf

Jan 5, 2018
Wait, there are actually people in this thread defending this tired old bullshit line of thinking?

...what

From what I can understand (I can't read Japanese) its a mis-translated sentence changing the meaning. From what I can gather they sell a lot of cute merch to female players and they are worried that these players might not like the change (effecting sales of march). like I said I don't read japanese but thats my understanding.

rochellepaws

Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
Whether it's true or not I find the sentiment worrying in their design philosophy to make the game more gritty and male focused. That's already a crowded space in rpgs and it'd be a shame to lose the unique vibes from Tales.

This especially is not something I want to hear from the producer of a series I love:
In order to maintain and expand the brand from here on out, we need to also attract the attention of young players. That being said, we are challenging ourselves to present something that dares to step back from the traditional conventions of the series in order to attract more players.

TinfoilHatsROn

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Feels like a unecessarily specific to make it about female players but I guess they have some feedback. Tales has a pretty big female player base and this is probably something they noticed from comments or talking with female players at the Tales of Festivals or anywhere else that quite a few of them like the cuter aesthetic of monsters in the series

Nintendo also knows this

Christ I fucking knew when that thread popped up that it would used as a defense for this. As if a preference for a certain character is remotely close to this. Come on, it's pretty different. One's a character poll and the other is an apparent fundamental gameplay design.

Sanox

Oct 25, 2017
Christ I fucking knew when that thread popped up that it would used as a defense for this. As if a preference for a certain character is remotely close to this.

Defending? I simply posted how I think they possibly came to that conclusion, how is that defending.

I even said its unecessearily specific as changing the monster designs too much could hurt the overall asethetic of the series which some or even many fans of the series regardless of gender might not like

TinfoilHatsROn

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Defending? I simply posted how I think they possibly came to that conclusion, how is that defending.

I even said its unecessearily specific as changing the monster designs too much could hurt the overall asethetic of the series which some or even many fans of the series regardless of gender might not like
Fair enough then. It just felt like a defense when you bring up a completely different developer doing what amounts to a joke character poll as an interpretation for some fans of the series, who happen to women, wanting a certain type of gameplay change. I mean someone in that thread certainly did so.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
I took it to mean that they want to make more horror looking enemies but are aware that by doing so risk alienating some demographics, most notably female gamers. I don't think it's that weird of a statement, as long as it's meant to be very generic. No if you're a woman you are not predetermined to hate horror, just that in general women like it less. It's all normal distributions. It's not outlandish to say boys are generally more attracted to jingoistic military shooters either. There's quite a bit of player demographics research regarding visual preferences.

Dec 23, 2018
Wait, there are actually people in this thread defending this tired old bullshit line of thinking?

...what

Its often because people misread what the fuck is being said and jump to be righteously incensed. A lot of people in the Yoshi-P thread about transgender acceptance also leap at some perceived negativity to transgenders because he was being blunt about how places in Asia are still horrible and not all accepting to trans people (although it was more contained in that thread because the translation wasn't shit)

Onix555

Apr 23, 2019
UK
Is this game going to be a massive step down from Berseria in every aspect outside of Graphics?

tenor.gif

In all seriousness though, this is some major dumbassery. I'm not even sure how you come to this conclusion.

Resiverence

Jan 30, 2019
I think the some in the statement is very important because it shows he doesn't generally think they would dislike it, more that just the certain subsection that likes the designs for that would. The title definitely makes it seem much worse lmao.

PKrockin

Oct 25, 2017
The article linked in the OP was edited. "Update 06/14/19 at 2:20 a.m.: Updated the line regarding enemy designs for better context." Now it says:

• We're upping the intimidation of enemy designs. This comes from the idea that "you should get a greater feeling of accomplishment from defeating an enemy." While there is also the idea that some female players might not like it if we make the enemies too scary, it is nevertheless important for RPG battles to evoke a sense of accomplishment when defeating an enemy.

Time to update the OP. The original translation was vague and left the wrong impression. He was saying he worries about some female players not liking the different enemy design.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
Well what do they mean by intimidating? That's so vague. Like a scary monster, or a monster that is not necessarily scary but is on your ass, out of the door, like the goddamn Capra Demon? Either one could be too annoying to different people. They have to figure out the balance for their target market. If they don't know, instead of guessing it would be smart to ask, of course.

Jan 20, 2019
DON'T BASE MY ACCOMPLISHMENTS ON THE SCARINESS OF THE MONSTERS!

If a game involves taking down monsters, they are going down regardless of how cute or horrifying they are. That's the duty of a hero/hunter/gamer girl!

Foot

Mar 10, 2019
The article linked in the OP was edited. "Update 06/14/19 at 2:20 a.m.: Updated the line regarding enemy designs for better context." Now it says:

Time to update the OP. The original translation was vague and left the wrong impression. He was saying he worries about some female players not liking the different enemy design.
Phew! Sexism is over.

OP
OP
hydrophilic attack
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden

that changes nothing

it's still a highly sexist sentiment

daybreak

Feb 28, 2018
that changes nothing

it's still a highly sexist sentiment

He didn't say it changed anything, he said the OP needs to be updated since it's incorrect and the majority of readers who come to this thread won't see the update otherwise, and leave with the wrong information.

And, also, it does change the meaning of the statement quite a bit.

Jan 21, 2019
Crazy that more than 50% of the world's population is female, but people in creative positions have apparently never interacted with one in their entire professional career.

Well the people going into nerdy industries aren't really the bad boys and cool guys of their peers. Then, when they arrive in those positions, they cater to the same crowd of less popular boys and the cycle continues. That's why representation is important, even if a game is made by team of only guys, having a cool female lead can encourage more women to get into gaming and game making.

EDIT: I am pretty sure that the guy is talking about visual design and anecdotally I enjoy gross, ripped-apart faces in Resident Evil 2 more than my wife or my sister, while they enjoy cute design more than me. That is why Made in Abyss is so awesome, it tosses both into a pot.

Double Whammy Edit: I still think it is generalizing. Liking one thing (cute stuff) does not mean that one can't enjoy creepy monsters. My sister again: she loves cutesy stuff, but she also binge read the entirety of Berserk which is filled why grotesque and disgusting monsters.

Triple double decker EDIT: I hope the enemies are not just frightening due to visual design but also due to mechanics, otherwise we have something like the Gaping Demon from Dark Souls 1.

Last edited: