• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium
I never said it proves anything. I just think it's very likely most people blow hot air on here and then pop along to the Epic store to buy Metro.

I can only hope you're wrong.

I don't have Epic's launcher installed anymore, so you can be sure they won't get a single cent from me. I don't even want their free stuff anymore.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
The only thing I can think of would be the shitstorm that got Microsoft to reverse on their all-digital strategy for Xbone. But that wasn't exactly a boycott. Pre-emptive boycott, maybe :p?

Yeah, same goes for the loot box Star Wars shitshow of 2017

Whatever you think of the MW2 pic that boycott didn't work, and I can't think think of any that have

The EGS is unlikely to be toppled by people boycotting them

m_dorian

Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
Yeah, i watched it and it was the weaker Jimquisition in recent memory.

Uncharacteristically for Sterling, this video seems the product of low effort.

I hope he ll get the issue better next time.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
One big issue was not mentioned at all, and that's third party key sites that sell keys for games in these launchers. Epic games can only be bought from the Epic store, unlike every other launcher. Steam allows the creation of keys that Valve takes a 0% cut from, and lets developers sell them on their own.

You can buy Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines 2 from Paradox store and you will get it on Steam anyway (and also Paradox's own launcher), but Paradox gets 100% of the money instead of 70% of the money. You can buy Shovel Knight from their own website and they'll get 95% of the money (they're using Humble Widget so 5% to Humble) instead of 70% of the money.

And for many other games you can easily find good pre-order sales outside the launcher's own store. But not for Epic. They don't allow anyone other than Humble that they announced a deal with. The existence of such a "deal" is the problem.

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Xbox Live Gold on GFWL.
Paid mods on Steam.
Heck, Xbox One change of policy was because of a potential boycott.

Otherwise, review bombing also has shown some great results.

Yeah those are some good points actually

That said I'm not sure how you can review bomb a game on a store that doesn't have reviews :/

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
One big issue was not mentioned at all, and that's third party key sites that sell keys for games in these launchers. Epic games can only be bought from the Epic store, unlike every other launcher. Steam allows the creation of keys that Valve takes a 0% cut from, and lets developers sell them on their own.

You can buy Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines 2 from Paradox store and you will get it on Steam anyway (and also Paradox's own launcher), but Paradox gets 100% of the money instead of 70% of the money. You can buy Shovel Knight from their own website and they'll get 95% of the money (they're using Humble Widget so 5% to Humble) instead of 70% of the money.

And for many other games you can easily find good pre-order sales outside the launcher's own store. But not for Epic. They don't allow anyone other than Humble that they announced a deal with. The existence of such a "deal" is the problem.

I was about to adress that indeed.
The idea that they have a "deal with Humble Bundle" to sell keys is fuckin hilarious and dangerous.
Imagine if you needed Steam to allow which websites can sell keys and which cannot.

Yeah those are some good points actually

That said I'm not sure how you can review bomb a game on a store that doesn't have reviews :/

That's the whole point. No reviews, no forums. The idea here for Epic is double:
1. As opposed to Valve's "laissez-faire" approach (god I hate this expression) Epic is taking a "Ne rien faire" approach. Basically, there's no review issues if there's no reviews.
2. Silencing customers by putting ways to express as far as possible from the game store page. When you see complaints on the store page right next to the buy button, it's far more effective than a lost thread on Reddit.

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017
I mean, he doesn't say that to defend it. He says that it's anti-consumer, but that it's effective for what Epic is doing. I certainly didn't take that as any sort of defense of the practice by him, just an acknowledgement that Epic is doing it for a reason.
We see that way of arguing things in many topics : "I'm not saying lootbox/paid online/no easy crossplatform/etc... is ok.... but let me tell you why they do it.." let's make no mistake, people who complain about those things know why it's done, this is just people way of defending those shit without putting themself as a target.

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, same goes for the loot box Star Wars shitshow of 2017

Whatever you think of the MW2 pic that boycott didn't work, and I can't think think of any that have

The EGS is unlikely to be toppled by people boycotting them
? Call of Duty got less and less popular on PC, and they caved in and brought back dedicated servers on MW3. Seems to have worked fine?

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
tenor.gif

Oct 25, 2017
Generally a fan of Jim's work but I found this video incredibly disappointing. Steam's end-user advantage isn't about achievements and a news feed in the games library, wtf? It's about shit like Proton, their stellar gamepad support, the integration of Steam Link and how flexible it is (I only use it for remote input and am free to disable both the video and audio streams while doing so, which is amazing - the Steam Link actually supports certain gamepads better than Windows + Steam does!?!?!?) not to mention providing dedicated servers via Steamworks.

I could go on and on but Jim brought none of this up and talked more about brand loyalty and shit, as if people like me have any respect for corporations to begin with. Fuck Valve. Fuck Epic. Just provide the best platform for playing my games, thank you. I don't see Epic ever doing that because they are not in this for creating a stable PC gaming ecosystem, as seen with them throwing heaps of money on exclusivity rather than (potentially open source) feature development right from the get go. That won't change. They have shown where their priorities lie and I am inclined to believe them.

Sorry Jim, but you really need to reconsider your views on this as a whole.

(Lol at bringing up the long since debunked MW2 boycott image. Come on ffs.)

I never said it proves anything. I just think it's very likely most people blow hot air on here and then pop along to the Epic store to buy Metro.

Why would you assume this? I have plenty of games to play. I can play only DMC5 for 10 years and still be more than satisfied with my gaming. I have thousands of retro games I could enjoy instead of whatever exclusives Epic snags up. Some of us aren't particularly desperate for the hot new thing (tm).

Oct 27, 2017
Nah bro the screenshot clearly ends the whole conversation on any boycott ever, just give up and go home, it's dumb to care about things

(/s)
People really underestimate how big Steam (and PC gaming in general) has become. There were a lot of games back then, sure, but the selection now is just fucking insane.

Also, I love how people like to omit that COD4 was THE game everyone had to play back then. Skipping MW2 was unthinkable to many people.

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK
We see that way of arguing things in many topics : "I'm not saying lootbox/paid online/no easy crossplatform/etc... is ok.... but let me tell you why they do it.." let's make no mistake, people who complain about those things know why it's done, this is just people way of defending those shit without putting themself as a target.

Well you can believe that in practice, another storefront being a large player in the market is probably long term going to be a good thing, as it means they need to compete with each other

So while Epic have done a lot of shitty things, if they stop the money hatting, then potentially in 5-10 years time we could have two decent stores fighting over who has the best features and prices, which is better for the consumer

Exploitative lootboxes were always going to be a net negative

That said, that's giving Epic a lot of leeway, but realistically if anyone is going to build another huge store it needs to be someone with tons of cash

I'm not happy with how Epic have gone abount things, and don't have much faith they'll turn it around, but I feel like money hatting games is probably going to fast track them to a percentage of the market faster then any other means would

It's a sad situation all around

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
just finished watching. It's amazing how little effort or research Jim puts into his videos, holy shit. Fucking 20 minutes and couldn't be arsed to mention even the most basic of things. Really telling I guess, just gotta crap out a shitty video to capitalize on anti-Epic store sentiment.
implying sterling cares what a bunch of nobodies to him think
He clearly did, which is why he crapped out such a bad, rushed video to capitalize on it.

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK
? Call of Duty got less and less popular on PC, and they caved in and brought back dedicated servers on MW3. Seems to have worked fine?

I had a look but couldn't find any statistics, did MW2 sell fewer copies on Steam than MW1?

Did MW3 sell more copies than MW2 after they reintroduced dedicated servers?

unknownspectator

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
just finished watching. It's amazing how little effort or research Jim puts into his videos, holy shit. Fucking 20 minutes and couldn't be arsed to mention even the most basic of things. Really telling I guess, just gotta crap out a shitty video to capitalize on anti-Epic store sentiment.

He clearly did, which is why he crapped out such a bad, rushed video to capitalize on it.

this is why I unsubscribed from him over a year ago. dude's a hack.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
That MW2 boycott screen shot is the reason I never take anyone who says they're boycotting something seriously. It's very easy to come across as the principled moral guardian on a gaming forum but I wonder how many of these people actually follow through with there 'boycotts'?

Not many I reckon.
How about I'm never installing the POS that is the Epic Game Store no matter what... If I buy any of the games that have dealt with the devil, it will be used on consoles so the publishers don't see a dime from me, maybe I'll buy Obsidian's RPG on Microsoft Store since I like all my RPGs on PC. I'll still possibly buy Ubisoft games on Uplay like I have always done with a 12-20% discount at launch from GMG, CDKeys, etc unless they do a deal like the Division 2 where Uplay keys are removed from other stores, then fuck Ubisoft, used games it is. PC is my preferred platform, but I don't have to play them there and I don't have to buy games new either if I start primarily using Switch and PS4 Pro.

Harlequin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They have a guaranteed revenue for their games, with Epic offering that despite sales, Of course it's worth it.

Saw the full video, and he continues to avoid legitimate concerns from customer perspective. There's really not anything new in this video, that hasn't already been covered in multiple threads here. No fresh perspective, no deep analysis, nothing but repeats.
If you're publishing a big title with a lot of hype behind it, then you've pretty much got guaranteed revenue regardless. At that point, with a game like Metro, it becomes a question of "how much is Epic offering?", "how many sales do we expect to lose by skipping Steam?", etc. I don't think it's always as clear-cut as you're making it out to be . There will be scenarios, at least in theory, where this kind of offer won't be worth it for the dev/publisher.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think many people on this forum could have done it better without feeling the need to shit on Valve, as described by many of the posts already in this thread.

Valve is a soulless organization. The fact so many people go to bat for them is really misguided. They're the Apple of PC gaming. Resting on their laurels for years because they were innovative years and years ago.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
Well you can believe that in practice, another storefront being a large player in the market is probably long term going to be a good thing, as it means they need to compete with each other

So while Epic have done a lot of shitty things, if they stop the money hatting, then potentially in 5-10 years time we could have two decent stores fighting over who has the best features and prices, which is better for the consumer

Exploitative lootboxes were always going to be a net negative

That said, that's giving Epic a lot of leeway, but realistically if anyone is going to build another huge store it needs to be someone with tons of cash

I'm not happy with how Epic have gone abount things, and don't have much faith they'll turn it around, but I feel like money hatting games is probably going to fast track them to a percentage of the market faster then any other means would

It's a sad situation all around

As I said before, if the market wont accept you unless you force your way, then it means you bring nothing to said market and your presence isn't necessary. Epic isn't owed a market share.

I mean, hoping that in 5-10 years, Epic becomes good is a far fetched thing to bet on. If it works by playing it dirty, why stop here ?
What's the incentive for Epic to then try to improve ?

If you're publishing a big title with a lot of hype behind it, then you've pretty much got guaranteed revenue regardless. At that point, with a game like Metro, it becomes a question of "how much is Epic offering?", "how many sales do we expect to lose by skipping Steam?", etc. I don't think it's always as clear-cut as you're making it out to be . There will be scenarios, at least in theory, where this kind of offer won't be worth it for the dev/publisher.

They just made 95% of the Windows Library compatible with Linux with a single click in 2018. They just announced free dedicated servers for all devs (just a reminder that you pay an online paywall for P2P online).

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Valve is a soulless organization. The fact so many people go to bat for them is really misguided. They're the Apple of PC gaming. Resting on their laurels for years because they were innovative years and years ago.
Amusing, considering they have been developing Proton.

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK
As I said before, if the market wont accept you unless you force your way, then it means you bring nothing to said market and your presence isn't necessary. Epic isn't owed a market share.

I mean, hoping that in 5-10 years, Epic becomes good is a far fetched thing to bet on. If it works by playing it dirty, why stop here ?
What's the incentive for Epic to then try to improve ?

I'm not hoping they improve in 5-10 years, I was explaining how hypothetically someone can believe another store front gaining market share could be a benefit to customers over time

I don't think this will be the case with Epic specially, as they've not given me any indication they'll make things better long term

I don't know what to tell you regarding your first point, I mean, that's capitalism. You take capital and you try and turn it into more capital, if you make money then by the rules of capitalism you deserve to be there, if you don't then you don't. So we'll have to see how the EGS does financially over the coming years

Nabs

Oct 26, 2017
Ugh.

After MW2 the series started dropping more and more. The bridges were burned.

Yeah, COD is completely fucked on PC because of what they pulled with MW2. Blops 4 is deaddeaddead.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Amusing, considering they have been developing Proton.

Yeah I've heard of Wine, just like a lot of 'recent' Valve projects, we'll see how it goes.

Except they constantly improve their client and add features that improve QoL for PC gamers. But, you need to play on PC to know that.

Yes only non PC gamers criticize Valve...

Ugh is how I feel about them and their propensity to not comment on utter shit that is on their platform. This is what I'm talking about, I call them a soulless organization, like every other gaming company by the way, and the rush of people flock to defend them with irrelevant stuff. Or in your case, a single word. Like why? Genuinely I have no clue, except it's rampant everywhere.

Oct 27, 2017
giphy.gif

The funniest shit is that people think that we're defending Steam/Valve. Nah bro, we're attacking a product that is taking options from our control.

If Epic had done their homework, and have feature parity with Steam ('but Steam is 15 year old' is not an excuse. Precisely because Steam is old and Epic made of money we should put Steam as the bare minimum, hell even Origin should be THE bare minimum), everyone here would be chanting praise for it. But they didnt and they want to foce a product on us, fuck them.

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I've heard of Wine, just like a lot of 'recent' Valve projects, we'll see how it goes.

Ugh is how I feel about them and their propensity to not comment on utter shit that is on their platform. This is what I'm talking about, I call them a soulless organization, like every other gaming company by the way, and the rush of people flock to defend them with irrelevant stuff. Or in your case, a single word. Like why? Genuinely I have no clue, except it's rampant everywhere.
we are already seeing how it goes. Extremely impressive and the complete opposite of resting on laurels. They've done more to improve PC gaming than any other company in the business. They've pumped out great features more than any platform holder out there. They are the ones in the PC space actually significantly improving their client year after year while others are barely different from the yer they released.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017

You mean like the Steam Controller API that keeps being updated over and over ? Or Steam Link that got on Android and also an "Anywhere" mode ?
Btw Proton is part of them pushing for SteamOS. :-)

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Why are you being dishonest? a quick google search would show you that you are wrong.
For example steam has added in the last few years:
  • controller support
  • BPM
  • steam broadcast
  • family sharing
  • steam link
Do you deny that those features exist?

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User banned (1 day): antagonistic behaviour and bad faith over a series of posts, recent warning for similar behaviour.
We'll see how it goes?

It's here already, and is pretty damn impressive.

I'm glad you like it? Not sure what you want me to say. Valve sucks, Epic sucks, Sony sucks, Microsoft sucks, Nintendo sucks. The pro-corporation nonsense that pervades this forum is gross. Arguing about who is the second or third worst is pretty silly.

Why are you being dishonest? a quick google search would show you that you are wrong.
For example steam has added in the last few years:
  • controller support
  • BPM
  • steam broadcast
  • family sharing
  • steam link
Do you deny that those features exist?

Being dishonest? I'm simply tired of the pro-Valve nonsense that is everywhere. No one owes any of these companies anything just because 10 years ago they started something cool. Not to mention something like BPM came out like eight years ago. I'm not going to argue with you about the extent of their innovation, we obviously don't agree but I'm just pushing how dumb it is that this console wars nonsense has now gone into PC gaming. PC gaming has enough problems with its PC Master Race horrible shit to now have yet another thing.

Deleted member 1849

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Dude, Proton has been out for over 6 months already. There isn't a single Linux gamer in existence which doesn't believe it has revolutionised Linux gaming, and the LinuxEra community here basically only talk about it.

And it's all open source and available for anyone to use, even their competitors if they wish.

It's been amazing

DrWong

Oct 29, 2017
I'm glad you like it? Not sure what you want me to say. Valve sucks, Epic sucks, Sony sucks, Microsoft sucks, Nintendo sucks. The pro-corporation nonsense that pervades this forum is gross. Arguing about who is the second or third worst is pretty silly.
You're missing nuances, a lot: the question is who sucks less.

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That has literally nothing to do with your statements of them not being "innovative" and "resting on their laurels". People are challenging you on that statement, not on the dumb "soulless" stuff. Can you stop trying to deflect?