• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
There will be full spoilers for M. Night Shyamalan's 2000 film Unbreakable in this thread. You have been warned. I have not included any spoilers for the second two films in the series.

I have intended to make this thread for a while, and given the release of Glass (and at the risk of raining on this forum's parade), I think it's time to discuss Mr. Glass in Unbreakable.

I have Mr. Glass's disability, which is the brittle bone condition called Osteogenesis Imperfecta.

Shyamalan's portrayal of Osteogenesis Imperfecta via Mr. Glass is deeply flawed in many ways, from the cursory details of the condition to more fundamental aspects of living with the disability. Ultimately, Mr. Glass in Unbreakable is an offensive depiction of OI that advances harmful views about disabled folks and the effects of disability on their mental state and world view. I hope to prove this below.

I first saw Unbreakable a few years ago after a decade of people responding to my condition with "Oh, like in Unbreakable?" I went in with an open mind. Mr. Glass's retreat into comics as a kid was pretty relatable to begin with. As a kid I found my escape in video games. Power fantasy and escapism can be very appealing when you are even more physically limited than your peers. But things take a turn when Mr. Glass grows up. At one point in the movie, he describes the different types of OI, and explains that the severity increases as the types advance in number. This is factually incorrect. It's ultimately not a big deal and has little consequence, but any surface-level research into the disability will reveal some general characteristics of the typing. Things only get worse from here, unfortunately.

The gist of the film is that Mr. Glass sees himself at one end of the spectrum of human ability, a man whose body is fragile and broken, and he conjectures that there must exist his opposite, a man in peak physical condition who is unbreakable. Bruce Willis proves to be the yin to Mr. Glass's yang, and Willis represents not only physical strength and ability but eventually heroism as well. He slowly discovers the extent of his own abilities and Mr. Glass, for a time, encourages this self-discovery. Ultimately, Mr. Glass fashions himself into a villain opposite the heroic Willis, and Mr. Glass turns out to be a terrorist who orchestrated a train accident in order to discover Willis and put his plan into action.

Despite Mr. Glass's agency in orchestrating Willis' heroic "origin story," Mr. Glass's disability, from his perspective, necessarily railroads him into being the broken villain archetype opposite the strong hero archetype, and the pain and suffering he endured pushed him down the path of evil which he ultimately welcomes as he becomes a true villain. I'm putting this in bold because it's important: Unbreakable visually codes its characters using a centuries-old offensive pattern found in art, literature, and other media: the physically disabled character is evil and the physically strong character is good. There is an age-old perception that evil within manifests itself without -- that physical "afflictions" must mirror an internal corruption. Unbreakable does nothing to combat this perception and actually adopts it as the crux of the entire film.

Now I recognize the value of artistic license. I do not think that every artist has an obligation to respectfully and accurately depict everything they choose to present in their art. However, Mr. Glass is the singular depiction of OI in popular media, and so his character speaks loudly. For many people that I have met in real life, he is their closest frame of reference for understanding my condition. And that frustrates me. I would never want people to entertain the idea that this disability, as hard and as excruciating and as painful as it can be, can warp the perceptions of folks who have it into becoming sociopaths, or that the trauma of living with it leads to damaging self-images and apathy towards others. Not only is that intuitively wrong, but it also is disrespectful towards the people like myself who deal with the condition and don't crumble under the weight of the trauma but grow stronger and better not only despite it, but sometimes even because of it.

If disabled people featured more frequently in film (let alone more people with OI) I would be much more comfortable with Mr. Glass. If there were more depictions of OI in popular media, Mr. Glass might actually read differently retroactively -- his character would become A man with OI who turned evil, rather than THE man with OI who became evil. His character necessarily speaks for an entire demographic as a result of being the only voice with OI, fictional or not, in popular media. As the sole fictional representation, his character has a lot of power in shaping perception. When everyone is on equal footing and educated in the topic at hand, artistic (mis)representation becomes more acceptable. We are not there yet. Because there are precious few portrayals of disabled folks in film, games, etc., it is disappointing when one such portrayal is ill-informed or in this case, hurtful.

What are your thoughts? Let me know if you agree or disagree. I'm aware that this is a heaping pile of nofunallowed.jpg but in recent years I have stopped apologizing for and hiding my disability and I have become more vocal about pointing out the issues I see with how the world treats and depicts people like me.

Reductive tl;dr: Imagine for a moment that you have a rare condition that comes with a lot of challenges. Now imagine that the big mainstream portrayal of your disability casts the disabled character as a homicidal villain who actively chose evil as a direct result of his disability. Not too pleasant.

Oct 25, 2017
There was a bit like this in split re: abuse victims that actually I thought was kind of offensive too- almost to the point of ruining the whole movie. This is ruling out all the stuff with Dissociative identity disorder which i feel like was kind of appropiating a disorder for a superpower. I think M Night has a bit of a taste issue sometimes.

Zolbrod

Oct 27, 2017
Osaka, Japan
If it helps, Mr. Glass in Unbreakable is NOT the only character in fiction to ever have OI.
Joker in Mass Effect has it too, and he's a respectful depiction of it, I feel.

Doggg

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 17, 2017
I don't think Shyamalan was trying to use his disability to sort of heighten his villainy; it was more about the contrast between being physically disabled and mentally gifted and how he's still incredibly powerful and dangerous. In that sense, he's kind of like a Professor X figure or Lex Luthor (when compared to Superman).

Oct 25, 2017
I definitely understand and sympathize, but the idea that society constantly shitting on someone because they're different turning them to extremism is all too true. Some of the worst people I've met have been at my job, a mental health ward for teens who have suffered unspeakable trauma. Most of them are monsters, and they're that way because society made them that way. The hardest part of my job outside of the literal beatings I've recieved is reminding myself daily that these people aren't 100% responsible for who they are.

I think there could be more of a message that the so-called normal people failed these villains. More nuance to it.

Pendas

Oct 28, 2017
User Warned: Inappropriate Joke
I don't think Shyamalan was trying to use his disability to sort of heighten his villainy; it was more about the contrast between being physically disabled and mentally gifted and how he's still incredibly powerful and dangerous. In that sense, he's kind of like a Professor X figure or Lex Luthor (when compared to Superman).

^ This. I don't think Shamalamadingding set out to make an accurate portrayal of that particular disease... I think the basic symptoms of the disease just so happened to fit the quota of the message he was trying to convey, so he chose it.

OP
OP
1upsuper

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
If it helps, Mr. Glass in Unbreakable is NOT the only character in fiction to ever have OI.
I've heard about Joker but I've never played Mass Effect. I'm not really interested in the series but I've contemplated trying it just to see Joker.
I definitely understand and sympathize, but the idea that society constantly shitting on someone because they're different turning them to extremism is all too true. Some of the worst people I've met have been at my job, a mental health ward for teens who have suffered unspeakable trauma. Most of them are monsters, and they're that way because society made them that way. The hardest part of my job outside of the literal beatings I've recieved is reminding myself daily that these people aren't 100% responsible for who they are.

I think there could be more of a message that the so-called normal people failed these villains. More nuance to it.
This is a salient point and you make a good argument. But I think that using an unknown disability to make this very real point about society comes with some of the pitfalls I discussed above. I think there were better ways to make that point.
^ This. I don't think Shamalamadingding set out to make an accurate portrayal of that particular disease... I think the basic symptoms of the disease just so happened to fit the quota of the message he was trying to convey, so he chose it.
I understand this perspective but it doesn't invalidate any of the arguments that I made. Shyamalan's intent means very little when you have a film (that is becoming popular again) that speaks for itself and provides the depictions that it does.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Thanks for sharing this. I can definitely see and understand your frustrations with Glass's portrayal and concern with this, though I never would have thought about otherwise.

You should definitely check out Mass Effect, it's a great series and Joker is a really solid character throughout.

Oct 28, 2017
I've heard about Joker but I've never played Mass Effect. I'm not really interested in the series but I've contemplated trying it just to see Joker.

This is a salient point and you make a good argument. But I think that using an unknown disability to make this very real point about society comes with some of the pitfalls I discussed above. I think there were better ways to make that point.

I understand this perspective but it doesn't invalidate any of the arguments that I made. Shyamalan's intent means very little when you have a film (that is becoming popular again) that speaks for itself and provides the depictions that it does.

I doubt most people remember the exact medical diagnosis Mr. Glass suffers from, though. They just know he's brittle and the hero is like man of steel.

Airegin

Dec 10, 2017

Neither of these characters look even a little like someone with OI apart from being in a wheelchair.

BluePigGanon

Oct 27, 2017
I understand how you'd be unhappy with that character. For what it's worth, I think it was a simple as Shyamalan having a story idea of: the archnemesis is the opposite of the hero, so if the hero is invulnerable, then he needs a hyper-vulnerable nemesis. And he just went from there.

I also used to work in a prosthetic lab and a lot of people who suffer serious injuries or have debilitating conditions react to/deal with that in really, really dysfunctional ways. Suffering can metastasize in people. Watching Unbreakable, that's what I chalked it up as.

OP
OP
1upsuper

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
I doubt most people remember the exact medical diagnosis Mr. Glass suffers from, though. They just know he's brittle and the hero is like man of steel.
Sure. But I don't think you need to remember the name to start internalizing assumptions about people with brittle bones.
Neither of these characters look even a little like someone with OI apart from being in a wheelchair.
To be fair, while there's a classic OI "look", there are a lot of people who look pretty typical.
I also used to work in a prosthetic lab and a lot of people who suffer serious injuries or have debilitating conditions react to/deal with that in really, really dysfunctional ways. Suffering can metastasize in people. Watching Unbreakable, that's what I chalked it up as.
That's very true, but I think that's a point that an uninformed public could run wild with if not carefully introduced and could be potentially damaging for public perception of disabled folks as generally "broken."

Oct 25, 2017
Great OP, and despite having a knee-jerk reaction upon reading the thread title you've ultimately convinced me of your point. It is super easy to tell people they shouldn't be offended by a thing -- and I wasn't by this -- but I feel like I both understand the point OP has made and the context by which its being made.

A reminder for people who will certainly go down this route: You can go see Glass and enjoy it. You can enjoy the character, too. But you can still criticize this kind of thing, as OP has, and hope for better representations in the future.

BluePigGanon

Oct 27, 2017
1upsuper said:
That's very true, but I think that's a point that an uninformed public could run wild with if not carefully introduced and is potentially damaging for public perception of disabled folks as generally "broken."

For sure. Personally... I think we glaze over trauma in fiction. Trauma is traumatic. People get broken by things. While absolutely I would worry people would assume EVERYONE who has suffered difficulties is now damaged, I think I find the idea that people who have suffered have risen above and are these enlightened beings now equally offensive - and disrespectful for people who HAVE managed to deal with that sort of adversity, like presumably you have.

OP
OP
1upsuper

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
Great OP, and despite having a knee-jerk reaction upon reading the thread title you've ultimately convinced me of your point. It is super easy to tell people they shouldn't be offended by a thing -- and I wasn't by this -- but I feel like I both understand the point OP has made and the context by which its being made.

A reminder for people who will certainly go down this route: You can go see Glass and enjoy it. You can enjoy the character, too. But you can still criticize this kind of thing, as OP has, and hope for better representations in the future.
Thanks! I'm glad to hear it. And yeah, I still found Unbreakable and Split fun movies. I would never blame anyone for liking them or for being excited about Glass. At the same time and at the risk of seeming like a wet blanket, I wanted to introduce some ideas that aren't necessarily obvious but are nevertheless important, IMO.
For sure. Personally... I think we glaze over trauma in fiction. Trauma is traumatic. People get broken by things. While absolutely I would worry people would assume EVERYONE who has suffered difficulties is now damaged, I think I find the idea that people who have suffered have risen above and are these enlightened beings now equally offensive - and disrespectful for people who HAVE managed to deal with that sort of adversity, like presumably you have.
Absolutely. You make a good point. Tons of characters in film just brush off trauma that would absolutely shake them and understandably so. The ability to cope or overcome is not reducible to being of sounder mind or stronger spirit than those who "succumb", and such perceptions are equally damaging.

Oct 27, 2017

I think this is exactly yet, it's something of an old depiction in comics, and he was just carrying that over.

He's the counterpoints of a hero, he's a genius but easily broken, where is a hero is fairly instinctually clever but otherwise average in intelligence but Unbreakable.

Strat

Apr 8, 2018
I'm sorry, OP. Thank you for bringing your perspective to the table, it's incredibly informative and helps to see the depiction in the movie from a valuable perspective. It's unfortunate that it's so poor and that idiots like me can't pick it out for how potentially harmful it could be. I don't know M. Night's original concept or intent behind the character, but it sounds like he didn't do his research, which honestly isn't that surprising.

Bad_Boy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think he was just going for the most extreme ends of a spectrum... so far that the line crossed farther than man is capable of.

What bruce willis was able to lift was physically impossible with his stature. You think pro heavy lifters were offended? I wouldnt take it too serious.

OP
OP
1upsuper

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
I'm sorry, OP. Thank you for bringing your perspective to the table, it's incredibly informative and helps to see the depiction in the movie from a valuable perspective. It's unfortunate that it's so poor and that idiots like me can't pick it out for how potentially harmful it could be. I don't know M. Night's original concept or intent behind the character, but it sounds like he didn't do his research, which honestly isn't that surprising.
Glad to hear it. But don't be so hard on yourself. If this were obviously and intuitively problematic it would either A) never have happened or B) not needed a thread, since everyone would understand already.
I think he was just going for the most extreme ends of a spectrum... so far that the line crossed farther than man is capable of.

What bruce willis was able to lift was physically impossible with his stature. You think pro heavy lifters were offended? I wouldnt take it too serious.
There's a lot to unpack here. I'm not sure how to read your first part other than "Bruce Willis was really good at being strong and Mr. Glass was really good at being disabled" so I'm just gonna move onto the second part. Please do not 1. suggest that I should not be offended at a problematic piece of media and 2. make the false equivalency between someone lifting something super heavy (super strength is a socially acceptable aspect of super hero fiction and weight lifters are not discriminated against the same way that disabled people are, plus they are afforded mass media representation) and someone being a distasteful depiction of a disability. Context is key, and unrealistic depictions only work when everyone is aware they are unrealistic -- people will understand that Bruce Willis is stronger than other humans, but not everyone will understand that Mr. Glass is an unrealistic depiction of OI, and that is where problems arise. The fact that weight lifters aren't offended does not mean that I cannot be for something completely unrelated to Bruce Willis' super strength. Bruce Willis's super strength is not equivalent to Mr. Glass's disability because heroes are beloved and disabled people are largely invisible in mainstream media, or otherwise frequently poorly depicted.

Last edited:

IggyChooChoo

Oct 25, 2017
I think you are right. I saw the McKellen version of Richard III around the same time in which he plays a character whose body reflects his evil nature, and remember thinking it was a similarly outdated, even medieval trope. I didn't realize Shyamalan was representing a real condition, though.

There's a character on 30 Rock with it as well. One of Jack Donaghey's girlfriends. I don't remember it all that well, but it is kinda played for laughs as well, IIRC.

Edit: I guess it is called Avian Bone Syndrome, so maybe it's not quite the same.

OP
OP
1upsuper

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
I think you are right. I saw the McKellen version of Richard III around the same time in which he plays a character whose body reflects his evil nature, and remember thinking it was a similarly outdated, even medieval trope. I didn't realize Shyamalan was representing a real condition, though.

There's a character on 30 Rock with it as well. One of Jack Donaghey's girlfriends. I don't remember it all that well, but it is kinda played for laughs as well, IIRC.

Edit: I guess it is called Avian Bone Syndrome, so maybe it's not quite the same.
Yeah, Richard III is the perennial example of the interior/exterior corruption. I love the play but I obviously dislike that trope. I don't watch 30 Rock but I don't really like hearing they play a brittle bone condition for laughs.

Last edited:

AntoneM

Oct 25, 2017
1upsuper Thank you for your thoughts on this movie. I had never considered it from your point of view and others who share the same point of view.

I guess I always though it of being kind of innocent or natural that Mr. Glass, considering his love of comics, would try to find his counterpoint in the world; then it was revealed that he committed at least one atrocity to find such a person. I never thought how that would impact people who lived with the same condition.

Bad_Boy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Glad to hear it. But don't be so hard on yourself. If this were obviously and intuitively problematic it would either A) never have happened or B) not needed a thread, since everyone would understand already.

There's a lot to unpack here. I'm not sure how to read your first part other than "Bruce Willis was really good at being strong and Mr. Glass was really good at being disabled" so I'm just gonna move onto the second part. Please do not 1. suggest that I should not be offended at a problematic piece of media and 2. make the false equivalency between someone lifting something super heavy (super strength is a socially acceptable aspect of super hero fiction and weight lifters are not discriminated against the same way that disabled people are, plus they are afforded mass media representation) and someone being a distasteful depiction of a disability. Context is key, and unrealistic depictions only work when everyone is aware they are unrealistic -- people will understand that Bruce Willis is stronger than other humans, but not everyone will understand that Mr. Glass is an unrealistic depiction of OI, and that is where problems arise. The fact that weight lifters aren't offended does not mean that I cannot be for something completely unrelated to Bruce Willis' super strength. Bruce Willis's super strength is not equivalent to Mr. Glass's disability because heroes are beloved and disabled people are largely invisible in mainstream media, or otherwise frequently poorly depicted.
The big thing i think you are missing is that david dunn was more than just strong. He was basically a super hero. And mr glass was more than just disabled. He was on a super villain level of intelligence. He planned out so many mass murders without getting caught that had to take a genius level of thought. Think joker. If people didnt understand that mr. Glass wasnt just any regular disabled guy they missed a big point in the movie about how the villian and hero always have something in common. I dont think mr. Glass as a weak person in that regard. Hes a force that can match the strength of david dunn and tame the beast from split. As exaggerated as his disability was i never viewed mr glass as weak.

If you are looking at these movies being social interpretations of how they make disabled people look bad i dont agree. They are realistic yet unrealistic movies. I was using the weight lifting thing as an analogy on how david dunn is not phsyically realistic for his strength but no one should be getting upset over it. Just how mr. Glass is unrealistic for his situation.

I can understand why this movie hits home, but its a fictional movie. Just have fun with it.

TheKeipatzy

Oct 30, 2017
California for now
The big thing i think you are missing is that david dunn was more than just strong. He was basically a super hero. And mr glass was more than just disabled. He was on a super villain level of intelligence. He planned out so many mass murders without getting caught that had to take a genius level of thought. Think joker. If people didnt understand that mr. Glass wasnt just any regular disabled guy they missed a big point in the movie about how the villian and hero always have something in common. I dont think mr. Glass as a weak person in that regard. Hes a force that can match the strength of david dunn and tame the beast from split. As exaggerated as his disability was i never viewed mr glass as weak.

If you are looking at these movies being social interpretations of how they make disabled people look bad i dont agree. They are realistic yet unrealistic movies. I was using the weight lifting thing as an analogy on how david dunn is not phsyically realistic for his strength but no one should be getting upset over it. Just how mr. Glass is unrealistic for his situation.

I can understand why this movie hits home, but its a fictional movie. Just have fun with it.

Wow...

"It's just a game, bro!"
"Don't be so sensitive"

No, people can be sensitive and spell out their problems they have. That's the point of this topic in the first place.

Bad_Boy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wow...

"It's just a game, bro!"
"Don't be so sensitive"

No, people can be sensitive and spell out their problems they have. That's the point of this topic in the first place.
I never said dont be sensitive. I even said i could understand why it hits home. But at the end of the day its a fictional movie. The only thing weak about Mr. Glass were his bones. The big reveal as him causing all those terrorist events shows his intelligence should be feared.

David dunn isnt just afraid of water. The shit is his kryptonite. But he ripped a door off a car to save someone. This movie isnt realistic when you break it down. But when you break it down its just the anatomy of any comic book.

M. Night even wanted to market it as a super hero movie. I wouldnt look down on anyone with Mr.
Glass's (very unrealistic) disability anymore than i would look someone with captain hook's amputee disability. Who is claimed to have ocd, a lack of empathy and highly anti social because of his disability. These fictional characters are... fictional. A real disability shouldnt generalize real people in the same regard.

OP
OP
1upsuper

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018

I get what you're saying. Within the movie's own logic it makes sense. It just becomes more complicated with those elements of realism. I think that introducing the real disability of OI was a mistake because it wasn't handled properly, as I hopefully explained in my opening post. On another level though I think the premise is potentially harmful from the start, because while there are no superheroes in real life (and fictional ones are very positively perceived and idolized), there are people on what Shyamalan's film considers the opposite end of the spectrum, disabled folks. I take umbrage with pitting superhero against disabled man as the classic battle of good versus evil.

ByteCulture

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
There was a bit like this in split re: abuse victims that actually I thought was kind of offensive too- almost to the point of ruining the whole movie. This is ruling out all the stuff with Dissociative identity disorder which i feel like was kind of appropiating a disorder for a superpower. I think M Night has a bit of a taste issue sometimes.

The bad guy is abusive to his victims and someone doesnt like him? Well.. i guess the bad guy was well done here.

Bad_Boy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I get what you're saying. Within the movie's own logic it makes sense. It just becomes more complicated with those elements of realism. I think that introducing the real disability of OI was a mistake because it wasn't handled properly, as I hopefully explained in my opening post. On another level though I think the premise is potentially harmful from the start, because while there are no superheroes in real life (and fictional ones are very positively perceived and idolized), there are people on what Shyamalan's film considers the opposite end of the spectrum, disabled folks. I take umbrage with pitting superhero against disabled man as the classic battle of good versus evil.
To me i think both were super. Just one was evil so it made him the villian. He justified his mass murders by trying to find the hero. He actually wanted david to become great. Ironically. Without the villian there is no hero.

Villians are idolized all the time too. Joker, again for example. It just depends on the story in context. And perspective.

For the record Mr. Glass was my favorite character out of the three and not for his disability. But by his ability to articulate things i never thought about. To this day his character changed the way i think about what makes great arch rivals in comics and fictional movies. Hell even real life enemies like trump and mueller can have a comic book connection if you apply mr. Glass's rules.

Dont let this movie get you down. Anyone who generalizes you because of a fictional character unrealistically depicting your disability needs help.

Anyways kudos to you for speaking on it.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

At the same time, the dude calls himself Mr Glass. His villainous persona is intrinsicly tied to his condition. Going with your x-men comparison, they didn't call Prof. X "Wheels" or something like that. He's a hero, so he's known as "professor." Glass is a villain, so his alter-ego calls to attention his condition.

It's for sure a definite framing.

OP
OP
1upsuper

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
To me i think both were super. Just one was evil so it made him the villian. He justified his mass murders by trying to find the hero. He actually wanted david to become great. Ironically. Without the villian there is no hero.

Villians are idolized all the time too. Joker, again for example. It just depends on the story in context. And perspective.

For the record Mr. Glass was my favorite character out of the three and not for his disability. But by his ability to articulate things i never thought about. To this day his character changed the way i think about what makes great arch rivals in comics and fictional movies. Hell even real life enemies like trump and mueller can have a comic book connection if you apply mr. Glass's rules.

Dont let this movie get you down. Anyone who generalizes you because of a fictional character unrealistically depicting your disability needs help.

Anyways kudos to you for speaking on it.
Thanks, I appreciate you contributing your perspective. There are different ways of looking at this for sure, some more sympathetic to the film and what it's trying to do than others. I've obviously got skin in the game so I wanted more from the movie.

Oct 25, 2017
At the same time, the dude calls himself Mr Glass. His villainous persona is intrinsicly tied to his condition. Going with your x-men comparison, they didn't call Prof. X "Wheels" or something like that. He's a hero, so he's known as "professor." Glass is a villain, so his alter-ego calls to attention his condition.

Yeah, I think this is a very salient point to back up OP's thesis: Mr Glass' condition isn't incidental to his super power of intelligence; it's somehow inextricably linked to it, and juxtaposed with it: we're constantly looking towards Mr Glass' disability and thinking "His brilliance is a byproduct of his disability, but his disability is what made him channel that intelligence in an evil way." It doesn't paint a nice picture of the disability in the context of the movie, but hey, OP already said that on its own would be fine IF there were actually instances of representation for the disability where it's *not* used in that way.

The argument in form and function isn't different from any argument for representation, which is why it's a convincing argument. In a vacuum, these are probably fine movies; it's only when you step back from them that there's a larger problem. For what it's worth, the same may be true of the multiple-personality disorder of the villain in Split, and the fact they are both in the same universe, and now together, back OP up even more in this.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I think this is a very salient point to back up OP's thesis: Mr Glass' condition isn't incidental to his super power of intelligence; it's somehow inextricably linked to it, and juxtaposed with it: we're constantly looking towards Mr Glass' disability and thinking "His brilliance is a byproduct of his disability, but his disability is what made him channel that intelligence in an evil way." It doesn't paint a nice picture of the disability in the context of the movie, but hey, OP already said that on its own would be fine IF there were actually instances of representation for the disability where it's *not* used in that way.

The argument in form and function isn't different from any argument for representation, which is why it's a convincing argument. In a vacuum, these are probably fine movies; it's only when you step back from them that there's a larger problem. For what it's worth, the same may be true of the multiple-personality disorder of the villain in Split, and the fact they are both in the same universe, and now together, back OP up even more in this.

Right? There is actually a history in comics of characters with conditions becoming heroes despite their limitations, but rarely does their persona constantly call into attention their limitation like the name Mr. Glass does. I think back to Oracle in batman, how she went from Batwoman to Oracle and was still a hero, without crafting an entire persona that revolves around her being raped and beaten into paraplegia from the Joker.

But then again, she's a hero.

phonicjoy

Banned
Jun 19, 2018

But it's inverted here: Glass has this condition and postulates that therefore there must be some sort of negative of himself out in the world and becomes a villain to make that a reality.

I felt weird about the movie no doubt, but I don't think it's clear cut.

And for the specifics of OP's condition, I can relate. I think anyone with any sort of issue has rarely seen any accurate description of that condition in the media. heck, that goes for anything that requires more than a cursory glance at google to understand like jobs, or certain academic fields.

Bad_Boy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks, I appreciate you contributing your perspective. There are different ways of looking at this for sure, some more sympathetic to the film and what it's trying to do than others. I've obviously got skin in the game so I wanted more from the movie.
Always good to have different opinions.

I totally see your point. Theres nothing i really disagree with, I just wouldnt take it too heavy. I'll admit I'm biased. I think what M.N.S. did was genius as a fan of comic books and movies.

Edit: theres a thing to note, in the scene where mr. Glass describes his favorite comic with jaguaro (sp?) He says that when comics go to print the hero and villans features are always exaggerated. Idk just something to think about.

Last edited:

Burai

Oct 27, 2017
At the same time, the dude calls himself Mr Glass.

At no point in Unbreakable does he call himself Mr. Glass. He references the kids teasing him with the name when he first meets Willis and when he's caught at the end he simply says "they called me Mr. Glass." as if his torment as a child justified his actions.

But he doesn't refer to himself as Mr. Glass.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
At no point in Unbreakable does he call himself Mr. Glass. He references the kids teasing him with the name when he first meets Willis and when he's caught at the end he simply says "they called me Mr. Glass." as if his torment as a child justified his actions.

But he doesn't refer to himself as Mr. Glass.

....literally every single trailer for Glass end with someone asking him what he calls himself, and he says "First name Mr. Last name Glass."

That's literally the tagline for the movie. "First name Mr. Last name Glass."

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
....literally every single trailer for Glass end with someone asking him what he calls himself, and he says "First name Mr. Last name Glass."

That's him accepting his position in the world of super powers. It's common for for characters to embrace their weaknesses to make it their power.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
If there's one thing consistent about Shyamalan's writing, it's that he doesn't know much about...well, anything. Calling his depictions of anything - be it bone disease, OCD behavior, grief, mental illness, religion, science, child abuse, botany, spirituality, or any other subject - "surface level," is putting it very kindly. He's a terrible writer who appears to be not particularly bright or insightful when it comes to human nature or behavior. OP's critique is insightful, interesting, and probably involved three times as much thought about the character than Shyamalan has put into him across two movies.

Burai

Oct 27, 2017

OK, but this thread isn't taking the new movie into account, it's only discussing his role in Unbreakable.

We also can't really understand a character's motivations from a trailer and certainly not a trailer from a man that has coined the term "Shyamalan Twist".

Snormy

I'll think about it
Oct 25, 2017
Morizora's Forest
Great write up OP. Thank you for taking the time and effort to write that up, I do enjoy reading and sharing different opinions of this nature.

I certainly see your point and I have had a number of conversations with others that he is a poor representation of OI as a whole. I guess when I watched the film I had checked my expectations and really didn't expect it to be very good in this regard. I had written it off as a convenient plot device and for the most part I think that is what it is.

OI is broad enough that it is hard to have someone represent the condition well for majority. Further more this only considers the disability side of things. Culture, friends, access to treatments, living conditions and other important things play a huge role in shaping a person into who they are as well as how they might cope with their condition. I knew going into the film that this was never the focus, it isn't going for an educational POV or trying to be a good window into understanding the complexities of OI so I guess these problems don't really bother me too much even if I agree with all of your points. The simplification of the types into ordered by severity supports this and I certainly don't fault them in this area. Especially since the list is still developing and can be fuzzy information depending on who/where you ask.

The case for Joker, from Mass Effect is more interesting and positive. He has OI and while he doesn't have super villain level intellect he is essentially one of if not the best human pilot in the galaxy. The focus of Joker is in his character, his wit and his skill as the pilot. The medical condition rarely comes up in a big way. In this instance OI takes a backseat to Joker's character and it doesn't really focus too much on the hardships he faced because of it, though there is a story of discrimination in choosing the pilot for the ship, it is small in the grand scheme of things and it ultimately shifts the focus on his success which was nice.

On a different take, Jodi Picoult's Handle With Care is a fictional novel that focuses on some of the difficulties one might face having a member of the family with OI. Ranging from financial difficulty due to medical needs to hardships and responsibilities of siblings and parents. I really couldn't get into this novel but I know a lot of fans of it and I appreciate the idea of focusing on the disability as well as the trials that can come with it or issues that can be compounded by it. Perhaps you might enjoy it.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
OK, but this thread isn't taking the new movie into account, it's only discussing his role in Unbreakable.

We also can't really understand a character's motivations from a trailer and certainly not a trailer from a man that has coined the term "Shyamalan Twist".

I really think that's a meaningless distinction considering the actual discussion OP is going for, which is about representation in media, not necessarily just Unbreakable. The point is the people who wrote both Unbreakable and the rest of the trilogy chose to label this dude Mr. Glass, as though that was his defining characteristic.

OP
OP
1upsuper

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018

Yes, while there is some debate in here, the bottom line is the character is widely known as Mr. Glass. It is important to note, as Burai did, that Mr. Glass uses the name as a final refrain, a sort of explanation for what happened. But ultimately his disability is a fundamental aspect of his super- and -villain aspects, the catalyst for his villainy and his excuse for his cruelty.

100% agree with everything you said. Mr. Glass is ultimately a problem because he is the only mainstream representation of OI, and so he necessarily represents OI. Should he? Definitely not. But he does, and I don't think that's a point of contention.
If there's one thing consistent about Shyamalan's writing, it's that he doesn't know much about...well, anything. Calling his depictions of anything - be it bone disease, OCD behavior, grief, mental illness, religion, science, child abuse, botany, spirituality, or any other subject - "surface level," is putting it very kindly. He's a terrible writer who appears to be not particularly bright or insightful when it comes to human nature or behavior. OP's critique is insightful, interesting, and probably involved three times as much thought about the character than Shyamalan has put into him across two movies.
Hahah, thanks, I appreciate that.
Great write up OP. Thank you for taking the time and effort to write that up, I do enjoy reading and sharing different opinions of this nature.

I certainly see your point and I have had a number of conversations with others that he is a poor representation of OI as a whole. I guess when I watched the film I had checked my expectations and really didn't expect it to be very good in this regard. I had written it off as a convenient plot device and for the most part I think that is what it is.

OI is broad enough that it is hard to have someone represent the condition well for majority. Further more this only considers the disability side of things. Culture, friends, access to treatments, living conditions and other important things play a huge role in shaping a person into who they are as well as how they might cope with their condition. I knew going into the film that this was never the focus, it isn't going for an educational POV or trying to be a good window into understanding the complexities of OI so I guess these problems don't really bother me too much even if I agree with all of your points. The simplification of the types into ordered by severity supports this and I certainly don't fault them in this area. Especially since the list is still developing and can be fuzzy information depending on who/where you ask.

The case for Joker, from Mass Effect is more interesting and positive. He has OI and while he doesn't have super villain level intellect he is essentially one of if not the best human pilot in the galaxy. The focus of Joker is in his character, his wit and his skill as the pilot. The medical condition rarely comes up in a big way. In this instance OI takes a backseat to Joker's character and it doesn't really focus too much on the hardships he faced because of it, though there is a story of discrimination in choosing the pilot for the ship, it is small in the grand scheme of things and it ultimately shifts the focus on his success which was nice.

On a different take, Jodi Picoult's Handle With Care is a fictional novel that focuses on some of the difficulties one might face having a member of the family with OI. Ranging from financial difficulty due to medical needs to hardships and responsibilities of siblings and parents. I really couldn't get into this novel but I know a lot of fans of it and I appreciate the idea of focusing on the disability as well as the trials that can come with it or issues that can be compounded by it. Perhaps you might enjoy it.
You bring up some good points. But in this case, I'm not even asking for something as comprehensive and complex as an accurate representation of the day-to-day struggles shared by all OI people or those only experienced by some as a result of a commingling of social and economic issues as well as the physiological differences between people with OI. I just want the one singular example of OI in mainstream pop culture to not use an ancient prejudicial pattern of visual coding as its core theme -- as part of its "Shyamalan twist" no less.

I don't think it would actually be that hard to nail down some universal aspects of living with OI. I've met a lot of people with OI and part of the seemingly-universal experience is that come hell or high water you have to get yourself over the anxiety that today could be the day you break again. And if not today, then tomorrow. If not tomorrow, the next day. Everyone with OI severe enough to have experienced frequent breaks that I have spoken to has had to deal with this. Is that truly universal? Certainly not. But I think worrying about perfectly capturing the universal lived experience (or all the unique socio-economical/cultural/financial/etc. issues that each OI person experiences uniquely) is a bar the world of mass media is not ready to clear, so I'll settle for not-actively-offensive for now.

As for Handle with Care, I have had it recommended to me before. I appreciate the suggestion, but to be frank, I'm not really interested. I've lived the rough details. I've seen how hard this condition is on my family. I've dealt with the myriad financial difficulties. I have a life story that could wring tears out of a rock. I just want characters in popular media with OI who are half decent representations of it. I am glad that book exists, but I don't think I'm the audience for it from what I can tell. More people should probably read it though. Someday I intend to write about my experiences because the more voices from disabled folk the better.

You all are slowly convincing me to try Mass Effect though.
I really think that's a meaningless distinction considering the actual discussion OP is going for, which is about representation in media, not necessarily just Unbreakable. The point is the people who wrote both Unbreakable and the rest of the trilogy chose to label this dude Mr. Glass, as though that was his defining characteristic.
Yup, agreed.

Last edited:

Deleted member 32374

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Well, no one can disagree with how you react to a character. Its on people not be so stupid as to say "Oh, like that movie unbreakable, with Mr Glass". If there was a movie with a villain who blew up a speaker factory because he had sensitive hearing and tinnitus, and I heard about it from people who see me leave earplugs everywhere, I'd a bit annoyed too.

(second though, to make the world quieter, just would need to be corrupt, get elected and change the constitution to enforce quiet hours......)

OP
OP
1upsuper

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
Well, no one can disagree with how you react to a character. Its on people not be so stupid as to say "Oh, like that movie unbreakable, with Mr Glass". If there was a movie with a villain who blew up a speaker factory because he had sensitive hearing and tinnitus, and I heard about it from people who see me leave earplugs everywhere, I'd a bit annoyed too.

(second though, to make the world quieter, just would need to be corrupt, get elected and change the constitution to enforce quiet hours......)
People will not miraculously "not be so stupid" as you put it. Education is necessary. I didn't make this thread to vent or just give my reaction. The point was to educate. Because Shyamalan certainly won't.

Deleted member 32374

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
People will not miraculously "not be so stupid" as you put it. Education is necessary. I didn't make this thread to vent or just give my reaction. The point was to educate.

This thread has offered the most education I've ever had on the disease from a real source. Thank you for making it. I'm going to wiki OI later on.

As far as the depiction of characters in media, disabled characters are rare as it is and somehow there is always a plotline about a "cure". Rather than living well with a disability. I agree that Unbreakable fails with this, when all is revealed at the end.