• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Do you think Microsoft making a game like EverWild is bad?

• Yes

Votes: 129 7.3%
  • No

Votes: 1,633 92.7%

• Total voters

Dimple

Jan 10, 2018
It's ridiculous fanboyism, By that logic Concrete Genie and Dreams are bad games (which they're not).

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
User Warned: Platform Warring
I can see th SOny fanboys:
"No animals in Everwild has a tragic backstory or a foster son/daughter!"

Edit:
I wasn't trying to console warring, I just mocked the fact that the trend of big dramatic AAA game today include dead parents and a son/daughter figure to mentor.

Last edited:

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
I dont think there is anything inherently wrong with the art style, but it seemed like most of their showings were cartoony.

Feb 1, 2018
Europe
When videogames can be anything, why not aim for something more interesting than "realistic". Take that "The Artful Escape" that was shown at XO19. I think that looks infinitely better than anything that is aiming for pure realism.

Of course, I can appreciate the work and effort that goes into realistic looking games but style will always win out in my eyes.
Isn't that what I said? /confused

Omegamon

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rares game looks like next level BOTW to me, you think it looks bad?
I'm talking about the artstyle, not graphics and while EverWild is not the worst looking the style is pretty bland and you see a lot of indie games that look like that. It's not bad but there is nothing memorable about it,there are plenty of indies like Cuphead and Hollow Knight who have unique styles.

Nov 24, 2017
I don't think it's specifically due to the toon-ish nature of the games. I think it's the overall direction MS is going with gamepass and it's studios. Outside it's tentpole titles (we all know the ones), all these new titles look like the indie games were used to since last generation. Artsy games, little mp games that you'd see insummer of arcade or as titles that might be peppered in-between the big AAA titles during a press event like E3, are now being marketed as if they're main attraction. People's expectation of what an "exclusive" is, what names like obsidian or ninja theory should provide with a big publisher like MS, isn't lining up at least for this show. These might have been fine if they filled the roles of previous events of yesteryear.

Gamepass isn't going to be filled with new big risky AAA titles, you're getting what you've always gotten just repackaged in subscription form - older games, indie games, and the tentpoles. Those studio acquisitions were for small studios, and at least for the time being, they're going to remain relatively small. If the goal is to 'execute and deliver' you can expect these games not to be today's standard of AAA. You can also expect the bigger titles to be chock full of microtransactions. For some this will be a hard pill to swallow when compared to Sony's particular path of big grandiose spectacle.

Based off this, Scarlett will have all the bells and whistles to really stay competitive with Sony when it comes to 3rd party titles...but not really to push Xbox studios to be some standard bearer. Gears and Forza can do that...and maybe their new Fable. But I think there is going to be divestment from big blockbuster games. To me it seems clear they want to train their users to view these smaller games as the entree instead of the appetizers.

Another thing that might have people a little bummed, is that games like grounded looked a little janky in the run animation. Meanwhile everwild is an artsy enigma...and we all know some have a aversion to artsy games.

Feb 10, 2018
It's best to ignore these people who say such things, there's nothing wrong about not liking a certain artstyle, but to use it to try and smear a platform is rediculous console warring.

Aranjah

Oct 27, 2017
On the contrary, I'm always excited for more games actually having an art style instead of just going for realism again. Stylized art ages better and generally looks more interesting, and depending on how stylized it is, isn't necessarily cheaper to render (especially when a lot of the effort at all levels of the rendering pipeline has gone towards making realism efficient and you instead need to do something differently).

Also, nothing against cartoons, but I kinda hate this trend of calling all stylized art "cartoony".

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017
I really don't get where you think I'm suggesting that from? Maybe not be so hostile about someone having the gall to not like the same video game trailer you liked? The biggest irony being that DONTNOD's Tell Me Why was probably the most exciting announcement from X019.

The point is there wasn't any particular beauty or wonder in the game. They're just trying to sell us on the idea of beauty and wonder.

You'll never prove yourself to be better than the shooty shooty bang bang kids if you get all snobby about people disliking a big pile of nothing trailer.

My issue with your original post was this:

It feels like every major conference we get a game like this -- pastel-ish art style in a fantasy world that sells itself on bEiNg BeAuTiFuL aNd WoNdRoUs.

The point is pick any visual game design and you'll find 10 games that share that same style so shitting on a trailer simply because you think a certain art style is common is a really hollow criticism. The same thing could be said about pretty much any trailer for any game.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Because Sony has conditioned people to believe games aren't legitimate if their visuals don't aim for realism.
Good to know only Sony does this. LBP, Astrobot, Ratchet and Clank must have been on Nintendo platforms.

I guess Halo, Gears and Forza are cartoony?

Seriously, what kind of response is this.....

The Sony games I mentioned is why it's not bad. Only ppl with closed minded opinions think it's bad.

Last edited:

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
While they are using this cartoony cg movie aesthetic, why not make a new banjo!? Anybody...no...okay : (

Oct 26, 2017
It's very different because it's ascribing influence to something that likely had very little to do with it.
How's that different? That's something that's been happening for a long time with plenty of other big games. Even then, I doubt most folk are actually saying that seriously. I think you're looking too deeply at what's basically a drive by post

daTRUballin

Oct 25, 2017
Portland, Oregon
While they are using this cartoony cg movie aesthetic, why not make a new banjo!? Anybody...no...okay : (

That's the thing about Rare making new things. It's very interesting and refreshing whenever Rare shows off a new IP, but there's always secretly a tiny part somewhere in your heart that feels sad about Banjo and other IPs being left behind. It almost feels like they're being forgotten. :(

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's the thing about Rare making new things. It's very interesting and refreshing whenever Rare shows off a new IP, but there's always secretly a tiny part somewhere in your heart that feels sad about Banjo and other IPs being left behind. It almost feels like they're being forgotten. :(

exactly, happy to hear about ever wild, and sea of thieves, while maybe not for me, looks like it can be a great time with friends. But my heart pines for a new banjo or conker.

MaverickHunterAsh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Los Angeles, CA.
Why would Rare making a game like Everwild be bad? It was probably my favorite thing in the X019 presentation. I honestly didn't believe modern Rare would or could ever make something that would interest me at this point, but I'm happy to have been proven wrong.

Anyone legitimately upset about Everwild because it looks too "childish" or colorful or whatever for Microsoft really, really should never be taken seriously. Like, even for a second. Talk about the dumbest, most infantile take possible. (This is a separate point from simply not liking the art style, of course, which is obviously fine.)

TacoSupreme

Jul 26, 2019
The point is pick any visual game design and you'll find 10 games that share that same style so shitting on a trailer simply because you think a certain art style is common is a really hollow criticism. The same thing could be said about pretty much any trailer for any game.

The same couldn't be said of "any" game trailer, because many game trailers give you a good idea of what kind of game it's going to be. I think grimdark games are more common than games with an art style like this, but no one tries to sell a game with "hey look, we offer you no idea what kind of game this is going to be, but you like grimdark right?" And if they did I'd laugh in their fucking faces. Every major conference gives us one of these games -- pastel art style, basically no idea what the game itself is.

All EverWild's trailer said was "We've got magical elk and a pastel art style. Y'all like Breath of the Wild, right? It kinda looks a bit like that."

You seem to think I hate the art style. I dislike that all they showed was the art style. Go look at the other trailers from X019 and it'll become instantly clear that EverWild's was super information poor comparatively.

Deleted member 55421

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 29, 2019
it's not bad, but it's really really really not what I want from Xbox. Every one of my friends was disappointed by X019. And they are the more casual crowd. These are the people you want to suck into your platform and these are not the types of games that do that.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't mind cartoonish games but I think a lot of Xbox fans are wanting some new AAA IP that has the potential to be the next Halo or Gears or Forza, that's all.

FlintSpace

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Everything in moderation.

Xbox currently lacks real looking gorgeous AAA exclusives (count more than 4) so it's natural that section of audience will ask more what they want.

Cripterion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't care if they make cartoonish games but Everwild didn't look interesting to me, was hoping something different from Rare.

Dec 15, 2017
If Sony and Nintendo do it: "Wow so artsy and creative, truly remembering the gaming days of old. In a sea of games obsessed with realistic depictions of war and violence (Insert name of Sony or Nintendo exclusive) feels like a refreshing Oasis of gaming Nirvana"

If Microsoft does it: "Should Microsoft liquidate the Xbox division"? Is there creative tension between Microsoft and Obsidian?

It is what it is.

The game is fine. Cartoony games like Fortnite and Microsoft's Minecraft are among the most played. Obsidian is working on several games. and cartoony sea of thieves was one of the most successful New up this generation.

ShaggsMagoo

Oct 28, 2017
It's the same thing that happened with pixel art. When it first started its revival it was loved, but then every indie game started using it and people got sick of it. Half to two thirds of the games in the XO19 presentation used the same Pixar inspired art style.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seriously if Era was in charge of choosing which games are being made we would never see anything new ever again...

Era needs to learn how to move on.

first of all i am not the personification of this web site, 2nd of all yes as a consumer i would like one of my favorite franchises to come back. No where did i say "Stop making new games"

Garcia el Gringo

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
Also, nothing against cartoons, but I kinda hate this trend of calling all stylized art "cartoony".
This so much. Besides Psychonauts 2, I can't think of much in the pipeline that I'd consider actually cartoony from Xbox Game Studios. I'd love some goofy mascot stuff to make a comeback.

From contemporary Rare, Everwild and Sea of Thieves are on the spectrum between grounded and cartoony, best summed up by saying it's stylized. Same as Bleeding Edge, albeit leaning more into the absurd. Unadulterated cartoonish Viva Pinata they are not. And I understand meanings of terms change with the times and climate, but c'mon, highly visible cartoony games like Splatoon and ARMS are still being made, the industry hasn't abandoned that genre completely for the definition of what's cartoony to shift that drastically.

Montresor

Oct 27, 2017
Some people want only AAA cinematic, third person, mature single player games. Can you imagine. Personally the game of the show for XO19 was Tell Me Why with Everwild as a close runner-up. I can play that and Gears 5 too. It's possible to have more than one type of game on the console and in Microsoft's 1st party repertoire.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Everything in moderation.

Xbox currently lacks real looking gorgeous AAA exclusives (count more than 4) so it's natural that section of audience will ask more what they want.

I can understand that..I know that had been mentioned numerous times.
If Sony and Nintendo do it: "Wow so artsy and creative, truly remembering the gaming days of old. In a sea of games obsessed with realistic depictions of war and violence (Insert name of Sony or Nintendo exclusive) feels like a refreshing Oasis of gaming Nirvana"

If Microsoft does it: "Should Microsoft liquidate the Xbox division"? Is there creative tension between Microsoft and Obsidian?

It is what it is.

The game is fine. Cartoony games like Fortnite and Microsoft's Minecraft are among the most played. Obsidian is working on several games. and cartoony sea of thieves was one of the most successful New up this generation.

Why did ppl keep bringing Sony into this? lol

See above before you try to bring Sony and Nintendo into this. And Nintendo, lol. Really? That's what they are known for.

If anything some say Sony didn't have enough and have too many cinematic trees, 3rd person games with too many trees.

Ppl pretending like MS this entire gen hasnt been on the outside looking in in this conversation is amazing. There is a legit reason why some are saying why all the cartoony games. IMO it's not true, or valid, but it is the perception.

In that sense, I agree it is what it is.

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Post of the thread!

I don't think it's specifically due to the toon-ish nature of the games. I think it's the overall direction MS is going with gamepass and it's studios. Outside it's tentpole titles (we all know the ones), all these new titles look like the indie games were used to since last generation. Artsy games, little mp games that you'd see insummer of arcade or as titles that might be peppered in-between the big AAA titles during a press event like E3, are now being marketed as if they're main attraction. People's expectation of what an "exclusive" is, what names like obsidian or ninja theory should provide with a big publisher like MS, isn't lining up at least for this show. These might have been fine if they filled the roles of previous events of yesteryear.

Gamepass isn't going to be filled with new big risky AAA titles, you're getting what you've always gotten just repackaged in subscription form - older games, indie games, and the tentpoles. Those studio acquisitions were for small studios, and at least for the time being, they're going to remain relatively small. If the goal is to 'execute and deliver' you can expect these games not to be today's standard of AAA. You can also expect the bigger titles to be chock full of microtransactions. For some this will be a hard pill to swallow when compared to Sony's particular path of big grandiose spectacle.

Based off this, Scarlett will have all the bells and whistles to really stay competitive with Sony when it comes to 3rd party titles...but not really to push Xbox studios to be some standard bearer. Gears and Forza can do that...and maybe their new Fable. But I think there is going to be divestment from big blockbuster games. To me it seems clear they want to train their users to view these smaller games as the entree instead of the appetizers.

Another thing that might have people a little bummed, is that games like grounded looked a little janky in the run animation. Meanwhile everwild is an artsy enigma...and we all know some have a aversion to artsy games.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
Ever Wild looks beautiful! I find it difficult to believe Xbox owners are bashing it. It's a Rare game for one, and this is more in line with what they're known for.

If anything it's console warriors that own the other platforms talking down about it. Why are we giving those people attention? This isn't the first game where console warriors tried to downplay a competitor's product and it won't be the last.

Lua

Aug 9, 2018
I understand why you meant, but really, ask a mod to change the title, is very cofusing OP.

On topic, i do not find any of the artstyles presented pleasing, but i'd take it over photorealism any day. As it stands however, nothing interests me.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Everwild had negative feedback?? Looked absolutely gorgeous!
Ever Wild looks beautiful! I find it difficult to believe Xbox owners are bashing it. It's a Rare game for one, and this is more in line with what they're known for.

If anything it's console warriors that own the other platforms talking down about it. Why are we giving those people attention? This isn't the first game where console warriors tried to downplay a competitor's product and it won't be the last.
I don't understand it, it's honestly both surprising and sad to see negativity for this game here considering how beautiful it looks and how rare it is that Rare gets to show off their true talent. I just hope it's not online only, MS needs a single player game of this visual caliber.

zedox

Oct 28, 2017

This is all sorts of no.
You are going to see
Older games
Indie Games
AA games
AAA games

It's not AAA or bust...if you were expecting that, that's on you. And yes, AA games are worth playing...something that has been missed this past generation.